shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 9th June till 15th June

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy, is it your birthday? Or who''s birthday? Sorry, I guess I missed a post somewhere.

Steph, have a great time!

SS, thank you sweetie. Hugs and prayers for your family.

Rod, sending good vibes for the jobs!!! Glad you have options!

My mom is having hip surgery so I will be waiting with my dad this morning; I am sure everything will be fine! Hopefully tonight I can get a walk in. Have a wonderful day all.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great point Lorelei! We are definitely a lazy society compared to several decades ago. That's part of our problem.

And yes, we need to make good choices!

Now, I challenge you all to throw away those remotes. Do it, I dare ya.
11.gif
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning Everyone.........

I didn''t sleep too well last night, but that''s what happens when I get stressed. Sometimes I think it''s easier to worry less when I had no employment options as opposed to having to decide something. Sounds weird I know........ Anyway, it''s a nice morning down here. We had coffee and fresh fruit on the terrace and soon we''ll have lunch, followed by coffee under the oak, then the gym.

SS, it really does suck that in this country, a person who broke his hand, has to pretend he did not in order to be allowed to work. I guess because of the line of work and the fact that machines are involved, it makes sense they would not want him to be near machines. It just galls me that the union, nor his employer would be willing to step in and make a special accommodation. As a nation, we are messed up when it comes to work. We don''t take nearly enough time a year off. In most other countries, like in Europe, people are expected to take no less than 6 weeks a year off. In our country, workers are exhausted and burned out and scared to ask for a day off for fear they''ll be labeled lazy and risk being laid off. Anyway, I''m sorry for what you all have to do for him to be able to work. Rod Rant Over.......... And thanks for the dust BTW........

Skippy, our thoughts will be with you an your mom today for a successful hip operation. Please let us know how it goes. We have a friend having her thyroid removed today. There''s a growth on it and the doctors are afriad she may have cancer.

I''ll check in again later. I hope you all have a great day.......

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending you dust Rod, it will all work out the way it is supposed to my friend! That is also great news about Sakai, if there is one thing I have learned with animals, sometimes there is a simple answer which may not be immediately obvious, so I am delighted that was the case with Sakai! I will also be praying for your friend.

Ellen, what a good idea with the remotes! I well remember when one had to get off one''s bum to change the channel!
face20.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2008 11:02:23 AM
Author: Ellen
Great point Lorelei! We are definitely a lazy society compared to several decades ago. That''s part of our problem.

11.gif
9.gif
Had to laugh Ellen that you posted your comment about our lazy society at the same time I was posting that we are overworked and exhausted!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lorelei!!

Sorry, can''t throw away the remote. Our system is way to complicated to operate it without the remote. We have a unified remote, which ties all the components together. And even with that, Charlie can rarely get the system on or off. Lord only knows what would happen if he had to try to operate it without any aid...........LOL It does make me think about the time we were on a cruise a couple of years ago and Charlie was sitting there turning the TV on then Off, On then Off and when I asked him what on earth he was doing, he Said......."Look, ON then Off.......we should have one of these!" What he was saying was that all you had to do was push a button and the TV came on. Then push a button and the TV went off. He was of course taking a jab at me, because our system is way more complicated, with windows and menu''s and one has to go through a few steps to get what you want on. Get up and push a button ON. Get and push a button Off. Hmmmmm, maybe there is something there...........

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Good morning folks. Well yesterday we FINALLY got a ton o rain! We really needed it! I''m hoping it will rain again today, as we do still need the rain in a big way. This morning I got up and did Tae Bo with Billy Banks. It was a cardio version that I didn''t realize we had. I loved it! I was sweating and stretching and totally enjoyed every second of the work out. Afterwards I did some abdominal work, and then did some of the cat stretches from Namaste Yoga. That was all I ended up having time for, but I felt good after all of it. I had eggs and tea for breakfast, and some fruit for a snack a little earlier (around 11). Lunch is leftover chicken salad and steamed veggies. Dinner tonight is going to be salmon patties and veggies. That''s all for the moment :)

fancy - good for you for planning a healthier lifestyle!!!
Rod - I agree, thank goodness for the rain, we''ve so needed it.
Appletini - good for you for sticking to it and walking even though you didnt much feel like it!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Rod~ Good luck to your friend.
Skippy~ Good luck to your mom.

Hope all goes well for both of them, and speedy recoveries!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 11:11:35 AM
Author: Rod

Date: 6/11/2008 11:02:23 AM
Author: Ellen
Great point Lorelei! We are definitely a lazy society compared to several decades ago. That''s part of our problem.

11.gif
9.gif
Had to laugh Ellen that you posted your comment about our lazy society at the same time I was posting that we are overworked and exhausted!
lol! Actually, I think we''re both right. I do think people are overworked to a certain degree, though some choose to be at their job too much, others are forced I know. And in many ways, we don''t get the "exercise" we used to. Seriously, think of all the times we don''t get up and down now, just with the remote.
9.gif
Hey, every little bit helped!

Funny story about Charlie and the TV!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
I just had a brownie sundae and was it ever delicious.
3.gif
I told Marty it was so bad he shouldn’t finish his and that I would take care of it for him. Ha Ha. I bought the Mrs Smith 100 calorie brownies, heated each of us up one in the microwave and put some of the Slow Churned Cheesecake brownie ice cream with it. It was AWESOME. I would highly recommend you try one.
Skippy, my birthday was on May 30th. We went out to dinner 4 times and breakfast one time just because different people wanted to take us out. Anyway the extra meals out resulted in 2 pounds but now I only have ½ a pound to loose to be BBD weight again. Hugs and best wishes to you and your mom. I hope her hip surgery went well.
Ellen, Marty would not be amused if I threw away his remotes. I actually do walk over and turn on the TV, receiver and tuner (I’ll admit it because it’s easier than figuring out which buttons to push).
Rod, sorry to hear you didn’t sleep well. Thinking too much keeps me awake quite frequently. I am glad you had a lovely day in Tampa. We were in the 40’s. I watered my flowers in my winter coat. I am definitely like Charlie with our remotes. I’ve called Marty when he’s playing golf or something because our system is on the PS3 or something else and I can’t figure out how to get it back on the TV.
Lorelei, at least when we did have to go change the channels there weren’t that many to pick from.
Dragonfly, glad to hear you got some much needed rain. It sounds like you had a great workout this morning.
Somethingshiny, I hope everyone is doing better today.
Have a great evening.
Marcy

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends!

I''m on the last leg of my journey in regards to school, and relishing being so close to done. I went back to the school where I student taught yesterday to watch the kids be "promoted", which is sorta like graduationg, I guess.

Today I worked in a Kindergarten classroom, came home and worked out on the elliptical for 45 minutesand had a delicious, healthy dinner of pot roast and salad. Tomorrow I''m headed back to the school where i''ve spent so much time since I started substituting to work in an ASD classroom for the last day of school; an appropriate way to wrap up the school year, I''d say.

John suprised me with a trip to New York City to celebrate my graduation and his 40th birthday this coming weekend. We''ll be venturing to Philadelphia for a night to see Jimmy Buffett, my favorite, which should be a fun and exciting time. He''s so amazing for doing this for me, as he has sacrificed as much as I have for me to get me through school; he''s handled all of the household management stuff like cooking, cleaning and grocery shopping, and now this trip, he is just the best husband ever. I am such a lucky girl.

Skippy, I hope your mom''s surgery went well and she is resting this evening.

Rod, you are in a tough but good spot. I hope things settle down for you soon. We are a "do, do, do" society, but at the same time a recent study found the average employee who uses a computer wastes something like 30% of the workday perusing internet sites. If we valued quality over quantity what a different world this would be.

SS, I''m so sorry about your husband''s injury and even more sorry that your only viable solution is to have cut off his cast so he can return to work. There are no words...

I''ll check in tomorrow before we take off for the weekend. Have a great evening, all.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not much to report since earlier in the day. I made it to the gym around 3 and didn't leave till after 6. The gym just helps me get rid of my frustrations and lord knows I've had much pressing on my mind lately. Yesterday I wrote about the new elipticals. People were grumbling (even complaining to the manager of the gym), that the calorie count was off. I found it amusing they would complain. I was surprised at first, but now that I really look into it, it really does make sense that these newer machines are likely showing a more realistic calorie burn than the older machines. And I figure I'm working out as hard, if not harder as these newer machines seem actually harder, so I'm accomplishing as much or more as I ever did, only it's a mind thing and the calorie count isn't as high as it was. But, you should have seen people grumbling to the manager of the gym!

No real changes on the job hunt. I was contacted by yet a 4th company this afternoon and I'm supposed to have a phone interview with their Executive VP tomorrow morning. For what position, I have no clue, but I guess until I actually accept something, I'm still available and should consider any option that may come my way.

Glad you got some beneficial rains Dragon. We didn't have our usual afternoon rain today, so it was hot tonight under the oak at Sbucks!

Thanks SS. We heard that our friend's surgery went well this morning. Now, the hard part comes as it will take about a week for the tests to come back from pathology to know if there is cancer. I think the waiting part is the worst of all.

Thanks Ellen. I think you're right, that we're both right!

Yumm Marcy, your brownie sundae sounded terrific. I've been a little piggy tonight. We had Charlie's chicken meatloaf and steamed brocolli for dinner. Then we each had an individual mini bundt cake from Panera with coffee under the oak. And if that wasn't enough, about 9:30 I decided to pop some popcorn. I'll have to work out even harder tomorrow to burn the extra calories consumed tonight. 40s?? Still?? Does it ever warm up where you are????

That about does it for me for the day. I'll be around tomorrow, but will be in MD., visiting my family from Friday through Monday of next week. I'm not sure if I'll have access to PS while I'm away.

Sleep well everyone........

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberly, we posted at about the same time. How wonderful that John bought a surprise trip to NY, with tickets to Buffet in Philly too. You''ve worked so hard to finish this journey and isn''t it wonderful your partner in life wants to celebrate in a big way for such a terrific accomplishment. What a nice husband you have in John, but I''m sure you already knew that!! Congratulations from your friend, Rod.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimi, what a wonderful surprise for you. Your trip to NY sounds like an awesome way to celebrate your graduation and I am sure you’ll enjoy the Jimmy Buffet concert. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation.
36.gif

Rod, too funny people aren’t happy with realistic results of how many calories they’ve burned. Good luck with company 4 tomorrow. This has been one of the longest and coldest years I can remember in Wyoming and I am a native here. At least we’ll be saving money by not using our air conditioner as much.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I have a question for all you wonderful wise people in this thread!
35.gif

My pilates class was cancelled today (
39.gif
) and I didn''t have my swimming gear with me to go for a dip instead, and something very odd came over me. I think this thread must have been bouncing around in the back of my head egging me on because it appears I went up to the gym. And it seems I booked myself in for a session with a trainer on Monday to ''develop a gym programme''. I know I must have done this becuase I have a little all too real appointment card in my handbag
2.gif

So please, oh wonderful inspiring WWT-ers, would you be able to give me an idea of what to expect on Monday morning?
32.gif

9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Rod and Marcy, thanks for the kind words. Buffett is not John''s favorite way to spend an evening, but it certainly is mine -- I started seeing him annually when I was 18, so this will be my 12th or 13th year, with a few years of seeing two shows thrown in. John really is an amazing partner, and I am such a lucky girl. As for finishing school, it''s been a long time coming and I am more than ready.

So I''m working 1/2 day, I''ll come home, exercise, do laundry and back.

Delster, I can''t tell you what to expect, but I can wish you good luck and say I hope you enjoy your appt. and sorry your class was cancelled.

Have a great day all!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2008 6:49:49 AM
Author: Delster
I have a question for all you wonderful wise people in this thread!
35.gif

My pilates class was cancelled today (
39.gif
) and I didn''t have my swimming gear with me to go for a dip instead, and something very odd came over me. I think this thread must have been bouncing around in the back of my head egging me on because it appears I went up to the gym. And it seems I booked myself in for a session with a trainer on Monday to ''develop a gym programme''. I know I must have done this becuase I have a little all too real appointment card in my handbag
2.gif

So please, oh wonderful inspiring WWT-ers, would you be able to give me an idea of what to expect on Monday morning?
32.gif

9.gif
LOL!! Del, you will do fine! I haven''t done this personally, but I guess your first time will be like an introductory session, they will assess your current fitness levels and find out what your goals are and the best way for you to reach them.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all, just another quick post as the inlaws are waiting to go for a walk! Weather is still great here so we''ve been doing tons of exercise-although we have been eating quite a bit to make up for it
9.gif
Will try and log on again and reply individually. Thanks everyone for the congrats on the loose trousers!!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 9:50:45 AM
Author: Lorelei

LOL!! Del, you will do fine! I haven't done this personally, but I guess your first time will be like an introductory session, they will assess your current fitness levels and find out what your goals are and the best way for you to reach them.
Uh oh! That sounds like, eh, fun...
23.gif
But the big 3-0 is looming in another eighteen months ish. I need to get my behind in gear.
1.gif

bee - woohoo on the loose trousers!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
But buy a belt, hon, please? Don't want you to get deported from beautiful Oz...
2.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Skippy,
I tried the maple-mustard chicken thighs last night...a little too mustardy for me, but DH loved them b/c he is a mustard freak...the thigh meat was a nice change, it was very tender and juicy. I also made Ellie''s fried rice this week...it was so quick and easy, but needs a little flavor boost.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I had my PT today...I went easy on myself today though since I was malnourished for a few days with the bug. Glad I went though b/c I don''t think I can go next week.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hello all! Well I was feeling WAY inspired this morning. I got up, did lunches and made the boy breakfast, got him out the door, and immediately went jogging. I jogged about 2 miles!!! I only stopped to walk once besides warm up and cool down. Then I got back and did 15 mins core rhythms, then did some Gilad (aerobics, lunges, and crunches) and then did Namaste Yoga. All in all I figure I got in about an hour and a half of working out!!! Then I had a great breakfast of whole grain bread with honey toasted, and yogurt with blueberries, with tea! Had fruit for my snacks today and had a salad with sun golden tomatoes, feta and craisins and nuts over it. mmmm.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
I hope you are having a great day. I am 2/10 of a pound away from being where I was BBD. Yippee.
Delster, I have no idea what you should expect with your trainer on Monday but I am very excited for you.
Kimi, that is amazing you’ve been to so many Buffet concerts. I definitely have some Jimmy B songs on my IPOD.
Hi Lorelei and Bee.
Appletini, glad to hear you are back to working out.
Dragonfly, congratulations for jogging 2 miles.
I’m off to walk on the treddie. Have a great evening.
Marcy

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......I still need to pack for my trip to see my family, so this needs to be somewhat quick (If I'm capable of somewhat quick!!).

Interesting day. I had a phone screen this morning like I mentioned last night and the job could be really promising. It's a leadership role and after speaking with the VP, it's one I'm qualified for and would, I think be a good fit for. So now I have 4 possibilities. I told the VP this morning, they have a very short window of opportunity with me, and he seemed to think he could move things along quickly. We'll see if he does.

Otherwise, the day was a pretty normal day. Breakfast on the terrace, lunch at home, coffee under the oak, followed by a very long and productive workout. The new ellipticals are still taking some getting used to. They're just plain hard. Maybe it's because they're new and not broken in, but I'm telling you, it's a struggle to do the same intensity on these machines as we did on the older ones. And just about everyone was saying the same thing. The tension is much tougher, so staying in the same RPM range is just a much harder (and trust me, sweatier) workout. Not that I'm complaining, but I can definitely feel it in my legs. So maybe it's a good thing the new machines are harder.

Since I will be in MD., from tomorrow through Monday, we decided to have our Friday night dinner at favorite Sushi place #1, followed by FroYo and coffee under the oak. It was a beautiful and much cooler evening to sit under the oak and enjoy coffee.

I'm sorry I can't write personal comments to anyone. I really need to go pack my things, so I don't have to get up even earlier to get my stuff together.

I don't know what my folks internet connection is like. If I can, I'll check in while I'm up there. If not, I'll check back in on Monday evening when I'm back

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! See you next week.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi friends, my mom is doing great; thank you for your kind words, they are appreciated.
12.gif
When I get to the hospital these past 2 days I make sure my dad goes for a walk with me. I want him getting exercise too and it is a nice diversion out of the hospital
2.gif

Rod, have a wonderful trip!

SS, how is JT? I hope he is better soon!

Kimi, have a wonderful time East; how sweet and congrats!!!

Apple, it is very mustardy but very moist. Hubby loved it but wants to try grilling it? Yay for PT.

Hey Ellen, good idea on the remote!

Hey Lorelei and Delster!

Hi Marcy, enjoy the treddie!

Bee, hope you are having a great time!!!

Dragonfly, yay for the run!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, this new job sounds very promising for you too. That is awesome. Enjoy your trip to Maryland.
Skippy, I am delighted to hear your mom is doing great. That''s a wonderful idea to get your dad to go for a walk and get away for a little bit.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! Wanted to pop in and say hi. I saw the healthy lifestyle board now has its own link in the drop-down menu--yay! Hopefully that will remind me to come visit more often.

I''m still hovering right at 140 pounds, which (while not my ideal weight) is ok. Once we''re done with our move (we leave 2 weeks from Monday--aah!), I''ll have more time to focus on exercise & eating right and hopefully drop those last 5 pounds or so. Then my drivers license will actually be correct again! LOL.

Anyhow, it sounds like everyone is staying on track. Have a great Friday!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2008 12:08:37 PM
Author: ladypirate
Hi all! Wanted to pop in and say hi. I saw the healthy lifestyle board now has its own link in the drop-down menu--yay! Hopefully that will remind me to come visit more often.

I'm still hovering right at 140 pounds, which (while not my ideal weight) is ok. Once we're done with our move (we leave 2 weeks from Monday--aah!), I'll have more time to focus on exercise & eating right and hopefully drop those last 5 pounds or so. Then my drivers license will actually be correct again! LOL.

Anyhow, it sounds like everyone is staying on track. Have a great Friday!
Yes, thanks Andrey and Ali!
36.gif
36.gif

I am plodding on as usual, quite pleased with how I have been doing recently and I have been doing well with drinking water, it is amazing how much thinner I feel if I drink my 2 litres daily.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, all.

JT is finally feeling better. He has an appt with the specialist a week from today. Now that I''ve been thinking about the situation, I wonder if this throat pain isn''t constant. That would explain why he''s so picky with food, rarely tries anything new, and never wants his food hot. Yesterday, after several days on the antibiotics, he tried chicken nuggets for the first time. He actually ate them hot and crispy.

Almost done baking. I still have another "bar" to make but it''s a no-bake kind so that will be quick. And, I''ll do my caramel corn tonight. It''s easy, but it has to bake for an hour per batch. So, it''ll take a while. For some reason my candied citrus slices and strips didn''t turn out well, but everything else seems good.

We''re going to the wildlife park tomorrow for Father''s Day. JT is going to have so much fun!

Have a great weekend, all!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lorelei and gang! I want to join the healthy thread!

Wanted to share that I got a treadmill! I'm so exited--I love this thing. I set it up, so I can go on PS while I walk!
37.gif
(me dork) My husband built me a crazy laptop shelf that extends to right in front of the machine. The time flies! I just walk on the highest incline--can't run, because I have messed up ballet knees.
8.gif

Happy Birthday Marcyc! My birthday was May 31st.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results