shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 9th June till 15th June

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

I was reading a book recently set in around the second world war and a bit beyond into the fifties, and it really brought it home to me how sedentary our lifestyles have become. I was reading about the work the average housewife had to do, goodness - there were plenty of opportunity to burn calories throughout the day!

The wife would arise in the morning, cook a breakfast for her family, then her days work would begin in earnest. She would perhaps do the laundry on a Monday, as each day was devoted to basic chores and a larger task. She would have to wash heavy sheets by hand, rinse and wring them out with the help of a mangle, then wrestle with them to get them onto the washing line to dry. Once dry, she would have to spend a long time ironing them.

Carpets, very often these were smaller like rugs and removable. So the housewife would roll them up, carry them outside, hang them over a wall and beat them until all the dust and dirt was removed - what a great outlet for stress!
9.gif

Grocery shopping, she would often have to walk or bicycle a few miles to the shop and back, plus carry heavy bags. Food was generally higher in fat, carbs and sugar than we eat today, but much of the energy that these food groups supplied was expended in physical work.

So it makes sense to try to tailor our diet not only towards giving us the best fuel we can for good health, but to be appropriate to the amount of energy we use. We know if we do very little physical exercise and spend a fair amount of time eating chips and doughnuts, we will gain weight most likely. So balance is key in order to reach our goals. Our bodies were not designed for us to sit on a settee constantly in front of the TV, so the effort we put in to being active is well worth it, as we know, there are innumerable benefits to working out and taking care of our diets.

As we know, this is a journey for life and it isn't about perfection. I try to use the days where things don't go as well as I would like, as motivation to do better tomorrow. Our bodies are constantly changing, so we can use the heavier feeling days to help us work a bit harder towards our goals, and the days where we notice the positive results as an incentive to keep up the good work!

Remember, it is the choices you make consistently over the next few weeks, months and years which matter! Keeping this in mind, I find it comforting to know that as long as I continue to work towards a healthier life and body, that I can't help but be successful!

Have a great week
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Lorelei, such an awesome opener!!!
36.gif
It is amazing what they use to do and you bring up some really great reminders regarding calories we eat and activities and eating to either maintain or lose. Great reminder and it is amazing here how restaurants give us more than we can eat but most people eat it. My mom is in her 70's and she grew up on her parents ranch and told me everyone was thin because they had so many chores and had to walk far to get to school and it wasn't so easy to get the abundance of food like we have today. Great opener, I will be sharing your thoughts with my family today!!!

Bee, welcome back, I missed you!!! Yay for eating fish, I love fresh fish! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Hi everyone, I meet some of my girlfriends for lunch and get my weekly allergy shots and need to get some reading in. We will be eating leftover Maple Mustard Chicken for dinner. I plan to mow our lawn this evening as I find it good exercise! hehe Have a great day all
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!
35.gif

Skippy, I’ll have to print off your mustard chicken recipe. Marty will love it. How fun for your sister to be teaching a college course. What is she teaching? Have fun with your friends at lunch.
Bee, woo hoo for your pants falling off.
Great opener Lorelei. One thing I’ve decided to do is get up and pick up the house every day. Our house is clean but sometimes gets the cluttered look – you know like sweaters or shoes lying out or mail on the dining room table. Also with teaching on weekend I plan on doing one chore each night that I would usually do on the weekend. It’s all good to burn a few calories.
Have a great day.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Can''t remember if I posted yesterday but I did go on a 30 min walk. As of last night my tummy was still not back to 100% so I''m working from home today just to have an extra day to get back to normal...technology is amazing. I plan to go on another walk later today. I had also rescheduled my PT for tomorrow due to a conflict on Thurs, but depending on my energy level tomorrow I might go to yoga class instead.

Skippy,
Is the the Ellie Krieger maple mustard chicken recipe? I saw it on her show the other day and thought it looked good...will have to try it this week.

Lorelei,
Great opener...I think those 50s housewives didn''t get enough credit for all the effort they put into making a home. While we often joke about how things were, I bet their hubby''s had no idea how much they actually did during the day and still managed to have a hot meal waiting for their DH on the table. Although the modern woman isn''t all the differnt, we just have full time jobs outside the home and still keep the house in order and provide a hot meal, and try to look good while doing it (well at least this is the way it is at my house, but I like being a Martha).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2008 9:21:35 AM
Author: appletini
Can''t remember if I posted yesterday but I did go on a 30 min walk. As of last night my tummy was still not back to 100% so I''m working from home today just to have an extra day to get back to normal...technology is amazing. I plan to go on another walk later today. I had also rescheduled my PT for tomorrow due to a conflict on Thurs, but depending on my energy level tomorrow I might go to yoga class instead.

Skippy,
Is the the Ellie Krieger maple mustard chicken recipe? I saw it on her show the other day and thought it looked good...will have to try it this week.
Apple, Yes, it is. I love mustard but I can see if someone does not love mustard they might not like it so much. I loved it; it kept the chicken moist, funny we both watched that episode. Yay for your walk!

Marcy, it is my cousin who is teaching; she will be teaching IT classes such as networks and those sorts of things.

Bee, I missed the pants falling off, yay!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appletini, yay for a nice walk yesterday. I hope you are back to normal soon. Your comments reminds me of something I see occasionally about the perfect wife that was published in the 50’s or 60’s. It''s pretty cute about the duties of a housewife and centered around things to do around the house.

Skippy, "D''oh" about your cousin not your sister. It shows you what a short attention span I have.
1.gif
That will be fun teaching an IT class.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy, cousin, sister they are pretty close. hehe I can never keep peoples stuff straight, so many posts; you do much better than me!
1.gif

Rod, how was the lobster???

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys!

I don''t have a position today, at least not yet, so I''m going to work out and continue my hunt for a second job, which isn''t going too well so far. I''ll also spend some time with my elliptical.

Yesterday we went for a long walk. Today I''m going to make nice with my elliptical.

Lorelei, thank you for such a great opener. Life is so different now then it was 50 years ago or so and it really does have an impact on the way we should choose to eat.

Have a great day all.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great opener as usual Lorelei! Thanks as always for getting the thread off to a good start!

I did go to the gym yesterday afternoon, but I had to litteraly drag myself there. I just didn''t have much motivation, but once I got there, I got into it and had a very good and productive workout. Today''s a day of rest from the gym and Charlie comes home tonight. So, we''ll go from the airport to sushi place #2 after that. I did treat myself to a lobster last night. It was really good, but somehow wasn''t too filling. So, around 11 PM, I was hungry and remembered I had a piece of pizza in the freezer from the last time we had pizza and the next thing I knew I was popping it in the oven. There I was all by myself eating a big ''ol slice of pizza after 11. How bad is that?? But I did enjoy it. And I doubt one piece of pizza did much harm - LOL

I''m glad you enjoyed SATC Skippy, I still want to see it. The chicken sounds good. I''ll have to check out the recipe. Don''t get too hot mowing the lawn!

I''m so glad your students enjoyed your class Marcy! I''m sure you''re a wonderful teacher.

I''m glad you''re getting better Apple. Enjoy your walk later today!

Hey bee*, welcome back. I''m glad you got your fill of fish!!

CYA all later..........

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Good morning everyone.
Lorelei - that was a fantastic opener! It''s amazing how different things are. We live about a mile from our local grocery, and I really limit the amount of things I get there and end up going two times a week for lunch purposes for the boy... so I am going to start walking there and back if I don''t make it on the way home. That way I won''t have to spend the gas and I''ll get exercise.
We''ve begun to buy most of our groceries for the week at our local farmer''s market, so the foods are a bit more limited as well. If you don''t buy it you won''t eat it I always say. This weekend we went and I got sun golden tomatoes, green peppers, elephant garlic, break fast bread, blue berries, okra, white acre peas, and organic sweet corn. We ate the corn and peas for dinner last night, along with some of the blueberries in a salad. The breakfast bread is shared amongst us all and lasts a week. Tonight we''ll be using some of the sun golden tomatoes, along with eggplant I got last week, and okra.

Anyways lol. Now that I''m posting a novel. Today I got up and worked out for an hour with Fit Tv. I''m achy.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Great opener, Lorelei! I read lots of old books (or at least dated books) that I find SO interesting. I just read one about the Chinese culture at the turn of the 20th century. Talk about expending calories!! I don''t think I work that hard in one week compared to what they did EVERY day!!.

JT is still sick. Went to the dr. today, tonsilitis AGAIN! He''s only two and a half, but his dr wants him to have his tonsils out already. We have an appointment with another dr so we''ll see what happens. DH broke his hand yesterday so we had to go to the ER last night and he has an appt with an Orthopedic Surgeon today to see if he''ll have to have surgery. I fell down a flight of steps yesterday (didn''t go to the dr.) and am really sore now. I had grand intentions of doing 2 complete yoga programs today, but that ain''t gonna happen.

When it rains is pours! Hope it''s sunny where you are!!

~somethingshiny~

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hey gangarooni!
35.gif

It was a wonderful morning, so I took advantage of the weather and headed outside for my walk/run/cycle. Got a great burn on from biking!!! Glad I went outside b/c now the weather is looking a little sour......

Hope everyone is in health!

cheers--Sharon

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t posted in a WWT in a while, but I felt motivated to do so because I have been on spurts of buying only healthy groceries. This week DH and I stocked the fridge with fruits, leafy greens, vinaigrette dressing, salmon, cereals, whole wheat bagels (to half and have with salmon), marinara sauces (instead of the usual alfredo), whole wheat noodles, low fat milk, skinless chicken, and other yummy, but healthful things. I decided after we used up our unhealthy stock, I wasn''t bringing any more of it home. Since it is summer, and I have a lot of free time in the summers, I am using the time to get into better habits: tidier, more organized house, healthier foods, more exercising. The "more exercising" thing is still slow coming, but we are getting better. I''ve mostly been doing flexibility exercise lately as well as core exercises, but I need more cardio in my life (unless shopping counts)and strength training. DH wants to buy an exercise bike to keep at home so we can exercise while watching the TV shows we like, but I don''t know where we''d put it. I am glad he''s interested in it though. For now I guess we will stick to our neighborhood walks.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just popping in before I head to the airport to pick up Charlie and then Sushi - YAY!!

Finally, the rainy season has started and we've had a line of pretty strong thunderstorms this afternoon. I love the summer rains. The lightning is so beautiful and the rains cool everything off so much (which we really need with our intense heat and humidity) and the end result is a lush tropical landscape and usually vivid sunsets to boot!

I wound up going into company number 3 this afternoon to speak with members of the team I'd be working with. They were all very nice. One guy was very difficult to read, but the rest were lot's of fun. I should know if they'll be making the offer official, hopefully tomorrow.

Something, sounds like you've had your share of bad things so far. I'm so sorry JT needs his tonsils out, but maybe that will end his ongoing sickness. How awful that your hubby broke his hand. I sure hope he doesn't need surgery. And on top of that you fell??? I hope you didn't hurt anything. OK, you've had three things now. So it's all over and you'll have smooth sailing for some time to come. Am thinking about you all..........

Hey Sharon, Dragon and Fancy!!

I may not be able to check in later as we'll be pretty late getting home from dinner. So, I hope you all have a nice evening.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Well I wasn''t sure if I was going to get my walk in today, but then I told myself I should at least walk one lap around the park...well I did two laps around the park, and walked up and down my street, so I got my 30 min in while wearing flipflops...I also found the cooler part of the day...7:45pm...I need to walk at this time more often.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I am a little bit tired tonight; I think my busy weekend caught up with me (not the running around but the lack of sleep). I had a hard time going to sleep last night as well. I hope to go to bed early tonight. We had chicken cooked on the grill for supper tonight. I made a small batch of mashed potatoes and we had raw veggies. Topped off by a dish of slow churned.
Skippy, sisters, cousins and good friends – sometimes they are interchangeable.
1.gif

Kimi, good luck on the second job hunt. I hope you and the elliptical got along well today.
Rod, I am sure you thoroughly enjoyed the pizza – that is a great late night treat. I have been kind of hungry for pizza but need to pick up some sauce before I can make it this week. Thank you so much for the nice compliment about my teaching. My love for astronomy comes through and I think the students kind of get caught up in that excitement. Good luck and best wishes for getting a wonderful job offer from company 3 tomorrow.
Dragonfly, great plan to walk to the grocery store. You’ll get some exercise and you can’t carry home a lot of food that way. I can’t wait until our farmer’s market starts here.
Somethingshiny, I often say if I’d come west on a wagon train they would have left me on the side of the road. I’d be complaining about the dirt, the bugs, the weather, etc. I can’t believe how hard life had to be in those days. It sounds like you guys are having a tough week. Ouch for your husband’s hand and for falling down the stairs. I hope JT gets over his tonsillitis soon. I hate to hear he might have to have them removed but if it helps him stay well it’s probably a good idea.
Sharon, yay for getting out for some wonderful exercise when the weather was nice.
Hi Fancy, it sounds like you have great plans for the summer. We have a treadmill in our spare bedroom and sure enjoy having it at home. We put a small flat screen TV on the wall in there so we can watch TV while using it.
Appletini, yay for getting in a nice walk around the park. I wish it would get warm enough here that we could go do that. Little does Marty know I’ll be asking him to go for walks soon.
Have a great evening.
35.gif

Marcy

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy, hope you sleep well!

Sharon, yay for the bike/run/walk, you go girl!!!

Dragon, good for you walking!

Rod, wishing you the best tomorrow, sounds like you gotta it, sending ps dust but I doubt you need it, hugs!

Kimi, sending you good job finding vibes!

SS, hope your son feels better, poor little guy. Sending prayers his way.

Fancy, good to see you back!!! sounds like you armed for a good healthy food week!

Sweet dreams all

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Skippy and Marcy!!

Charlie's flight was on time and his luggage was about the first piece to arrive on the conveyor (that rarely, if ever happens!). And the Tampa airport is so nicely located, just minutes from our condo and everything we routinely do. So, we were at the sushi place within minutes of his arrival. We had a really nice dinner then I dropped Charlie off so he could unpack, and I ran back out to get us some FroYo with fresh Strawberries. It was a nice treat after dinner. Sakai is so happy to have Charlie home. We finally figured out what was wrong with her. She didn't like the food we were feeding her. It seems so simple. But wasn't that easy to figure out. When Koh was alive, we had to feed her prescription food (only available from the vet), thus it was what Sakai ate as well. It's higher in calories and nutrients, and of course costs more than twice what the best foods cost at pet stores. When we had to put Koh down, our vet said we didn't need to continue the prescription food, even though it offers higher nutrition levels and she suggested we change over to an adult brand of Science Diet, available at any pet store. So, that's what we did. Sakai is a dainty eater to begin with. She doesn't beg for food and even though we feed her at the same time daily, it's not ceremonial in anyway. So, after consulting with our vet, we decided to try the prescription food again, and WOW, what a difference. She's eating like normal and seems to have gained the weight back she lost and looks and feels so much better. OK, too much information (TMI), but we're just relieved to have Sakai well again, and eating and feeling good.

That's about it for me for the day. I have an appointment with company number 1 in the morning to go over the comp plan. I wish I could just cancel it, but since I don't have all the offers yet, I don't feel I can turn anyone down yet. There's still company number 2, who is supposed to make me an offer no later than Thursday, but even though it likely will pay the most, it's my least favorite option.

I'm looking forward to a nice long workout at the gym tomorrow afternoon. Charlie's really looking forward to it, since he's been gone since Thursday.

Anyway, hope you had a nice evening. See you tomorrow........

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, how wonderful that Sakai is eating well and feeling great again.
36.gif
What a relief! How amazing to have Charlie''s bag come out on the conveyor belt first. Good luck with the job meetings tomorrow.

Skippy, thanks for the well wishes for a good night''s sleep.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your well wishes for my family!

Rod~ I said the same thing about having the "three". If I believe in it hard enough, maybe it''ll be true!!

Sorry, not much time for chatting. Just trying to read and catch up on some things!

Have a great tomorrow!!

Oh, and I forget who (sorry...Mara??) mentioned Fiber One yogurt. I bought some and it is REALLY good!! So, if anyone else is trying to increase fiber, this is a great way.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!
35.gif

Back after several days of camping. Had a wonderful time! Our three year-old caught his first fish, and I survived the pitfalls of hot dogs and s''mores.
1.gif
I also got in a couple of 5-mile runs before we left and after I started feeling better. (Thanks for the kind well wishes!) This week, I''m scheduled to run a six miler!
32.gif

Lorelei, thank you for your awesome opener! How very true!! Modern conveniences have made life easier, but not always more healthful--at least in terms of activity. As you said, being mindful about daily choices is important on the journey to healthier living.

Skippy, I''ll have to take a peek at your maple mustard chicken recipe! Sounds delish!
1.gif

Marcy, hope you can get some good sleep! Sleep deprivation really takes a toll. You''ve piqued my interest with your slow-churned ice cream. Do you have a favorite brand?

Bee*, I missed the post about your pants falling off(!)--yay!

Appletini, sounds like you''re kicking the bug I had! Glad you''re up and about.

Kimberly, best wishes on your job hunt!

Rod, hope you hear about the offer tomorrow. Sounds promising! Happy workouts to you and Charlie tomorrow!

Dragonfly, the farmer''s market fare sounds wonderful! I think our local farmer''s market starts next week.

SS, so sorry to hear about JT''s tonsilitis, your husband''s hand and your fall! Oh my goodness!! I hope all of your are feeling better soon. You''ve been in my thoughts. Curious to hear what the second opinion yields about the tonsilectomy. I had mine out when I was about 12.

Sharon, sounds like a great day for a walk/run/cycle! Glad you caught the good weather before it disappeared.

Fancy, I feel like clearing out the less-than-healthy stock when the mercury rises. Summer does seem like a great season for embracing good habits!

Well, I''m turning in. Today was crazy at work and tomorrow promises even more insanity. I must gird my loins with some zzzzzzzzzzzzz''s!
2.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I am work today and feeling much better...still haven''t gone back to normal "diet" but plan to eat real food for dinner tonight...so tired of soup. Anyway I did go to yoga during lunch today. Also I think I know how I got sick...I found out that another co-worker was out a few days last week due to stomach bug and the day she came back she came to see me several times to get some help on things.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
FINALLY! I did yoga today! I had to modify some of the poses because my ribs are pretty sore, but I''m so glad I got to do it. I feel SOO much better just attempting to exercise!!

DH got a cast yesterday. His work won''t allow him back to work with a broken hand and temp disability only provides 60% of normal wages. (which only is about 40% of what he would normally bring home because of OT) Well, for us, that just won''t work. So, today i took the angle grinder and cut off the cast and rewrapped his hand with ace bandage. He can remove the bandage to get into work and rewrap it at his station. I really wish his hand could have a chance to properly heal, but we really have no alternative.

Kathy~ I''m curious about the tonsilectomy, too. I think they prefer not to do them before a child is 5, but I also don''t want 3 more years of this. Most of my family has had their tonsils out by the time they were in 3rd grade. So, I know lots of kids who''ve had them out, but not this young.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
SS, I hope your husbands hand heels soon. I am sorry. I hope your son feels better too. Hugs and prayers outgoing.

Rod, keep us posted; thinking about you.

Kathy, yay for your run and up coming race.

Apple, yay for yoga; glad you are feeling better, no fun to tummy bugs.

Well, I mowed our lawn so that was my workout. Hubby said not to mow it short and guess who mowed it short
11.gif
I just like the way it looks short and I forgot halfway into it so I thought oh well, we can't have a half tall lawn. Have a great day all.
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I hope you had a great day. I am less than a pound away from where I was before starting my round of birthday dinners. Woo hoo!
Somethingshiny, I hope everyone is doing better today. I really hope your husband’s hand heals okay.
Kathy, that’s great you enjoyed your camping trip. Woo hoo for your little guy catching his first fish. Good luck with your 6 mile run. I slept great until Marty got a phone call from work at 4:30 am. I did drift of to sleep for a little bit more after that. I buy Dreyer’s slow churned. The only flavor I didn’t care for is the chocolate chip cookie dough – probably because it tastes nothing like the tiny pint of much more fattening ice cream.
Appletini, it sounds like you are feeling better. Good luck with normal food.
Skippy, mowing the lawn is a great workout. At least if it’s really short it won’t need cut again so soon.
Well, I must go grade papers, do laundry and walk on the treadie.
Have a great evening. I hope to have time to check in later.
Marcy

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, guys...quick check in. My parents are in town visiting, so I will prob. not be on much this week. We have lots of plans for the week including going to the pool, the beach, Seaworld, the movies, shopping, out to eat etc. so it is going to be busy. Hope everyone is doing well
1.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey........

I met with company number 1 this morning. While it's not my first choice, it may become my best option. At least they are very large in scope and the people are nice. They are very corporate and regimented, which doesn't necessarily suit my demeanor, but I could learn much from this. Company number 2 is still interested, but they are likely my last choice. And I did hear from company number 3 (my first choice) that no decision will be made until Monday at the earliest. I know the owner of the company and he clearly wants me. But the decision rests with the VP of the division and the owner told me confidentially that he thinks the VP may be a liitle intimidated by my strong management background. While I was feeling really strong on number 3, I'm feeling less confident. I always believed as a manager that when given the opportunity, a good manager should hire the absolute best talent he or she could possibly hire. Too bad this manager might pass on me because he may be feeling I'm stronger than he is. So, I'm not sure I'm going to get the offer I really want, but at least I do have an offer and a second one likely coming and possibly the third. Oh well, such is life. I guess this won't be resolved until next week now. I was really hoping to have the decision made before I leave for my Father's Day trip up north.

After I met with the company this morning, I came home for lunch, then we went out and had coffee under the oak. I came home to do some things and hit the gym around 3. I was so frustrated that I really needed to just get lost in my workout and I did. They replaced all the elipticals with the newest version of the Life Fitness 95X Series (LifeFitness' best model) and they all have private HD TV's which is nice. But the odd thing was the difference in distance and calories burned from the previous model. The outgoing model showed RPM, while the newer model shows MPH. And the biggest difference was that on the older model, I typically traveled about 4.8 miles in 30 minutes and burned about 500 calories. According to the eliptical I used and a different one Charlie used, in the same 30 minutes our distance traveled increased, while the amount of calories burned decreased a lot. I asked the people installing the machines why that would be and they had no clue. So, know I don't know if all the time I've been using the machines if the distance or calories burned was accurate or not. None-the-less, I got a good cardio workout and that's really all that should matter.

No plans for tomorrow other than going to the gym. I don't have to get up for any interviews or meetings. Just a nice quiet morning at home and the afternoon at the gym.

SS, short term disability isn't great, but what I am curious about is why his employer refuses to let him work with a broken hand??? That seems to me to be a violation of employment laws. As long as he's able to perform his job duties, his employer should not prevent him from doing them. And a broken hand could be classified as a disability (albeit short term) thus employers are supposed to make special accomodation whenever possible. I highly recommend you check with your local labor board. That just doesn't sound right to me.

Sounds like it was a fun time camping Kathleen. Good for you getting in the 5 milers and planning a six mile run this week!!!!!

I'm glad you're feeling better Apple. How nice of your office mate to give you her bug.
38.gif
Office environments can be breeding grounds for all sorts of infections.

Thanks Skippy, not bad news, but certainly not the news I was hoping for. Hope you're not in trouble for cutting the lawn shorter. If he wants it cut tall, tell him to mow it himself! - LOL (no offense of course).

Yay for only having 1 lb to go BBD (before Birthday Dinners), Marcy!!

Steph, enjoy your visit with you folks. Sounds like you have a full agenda planned for the visit. I'm sure you've noticed that the rainy season in Orlando is a bit different than it was on the East Coast. When we lived in Orlando, the thunderstorms arrived at about 3 PM every afternoon? Here in Tampa, our thunderstorms are about 2 hours later than the center of the state, so ours show up about 5 PM. It has to do with the convergence of sea breezes from both coasts, or so they say..........

Anyway, enough from me already. I hope you had a nice day............

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steph, enjoy having your folks in town. It sounds like you have a whirlwind week planned with them.
Rod, I am sure you are excited and anxious waiting to see how this all works out with companies 1, 2 and 3. My continued best wishes and good luck is being sent your way. I hope you get 3 wonderful offers because you certainly deserve it. That would be sad if company # 3 passes on offering you a job because you have more background than he does. I so agree they should want to hire the best person they can get. I am very happy to be almost back to my BBD weight. I think teaching on weekends will be good for me too – lots of walking and controlled eating.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Rod~ First off, launching dust your way for 3 great offers!!

DH''s work has an area where their injured are able to do light duty. However, due to the incredible amount of carpal tunnel and injuries gotten at work, there are no spots open there currently (plus it''s 3 steps down in wage scale). And, his dr note read "partially incapacitated". He''s union, and they have specific requirements before you''re allowed to return to work even at that level. Also, they have to be really careful when the employees hands and arms are in and out of a machine all night. You can''t slide your arm into a machine with a cast on. So, IF the medical facility at work accepted him AND an opening was available for light duty, he would have been able to work with his broken hand. But, that wasn''t going to happen. (and yeah, I''m PO''d big time!!) We talked about fighting it, but DH is trying to get to 1st shift and doesn''t think being a "whiner" is going to help him. So, our family dr is an old friend that DH was able to go to and explain the situation. Luckily (and I know it''s wrong), the dr gave him a "no restrictions" note and we had already cut off the cast. He went to work and just acted like all was fine. I''ve immobilized his hand with ace bandage so I hope it still heals properly. It really is ridiculous that an injured person has to jump through hoops just to retain their job.

okay, enough venting. This week is GOING to get better! Tomorrow I have to start baking for little sis''s graduation party. She wants a dessert buffet (for 200). I figure 75 servings of 7 different desserts should be enough (3-4 apiece).

SKIPPY~ I forgot to tell you how much I LOVE your new earrings! They are stunning!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somethingshiny, sorry to hear about the situation with your husband''s hand and work. Wow, have fun baking all of those desserts. I would have to sample them all. Bad Marcy!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results