shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 1st Sept till 7th Sept

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi All!

First, Panda, your post touched me. A pound lost is a pound lost, be proud of yourself.

Happy 23rd anniversary, Sharon! Enjoy celebrating.

Dee, glad your meal was good.

Marcy, my pizza was good too! Yum, yum.

Zoe, you are such a champion for keeping on even when you''re frustrated.

So today I did not exercise in anticipation of bike ride tomorrow, I''m waiting for a call to see if we''re going or not. The ladies I ride with were doing a super ride today that I opted out of because it''s beyond my abilities at this point. If we don''t ride tomorrow, because they''re too sore, I''ll opt to use the elliptical instead. J and I headed over to the Y today to sign up, we took a tour, were pleased, and the kid who helped us recommended we wait until the 8th to join as it would save us so money (it has to do with when they draw the deposits for monthly dues). So we''ll be going back on Tuesday to sign up. I am really excited fo J to be starting an exercise routine.

I wanted to experiment with barley for dinner as I''ve found it in several restaurant dishes over the past few months and loved it. So I made some sort of African casserole, as coined by CL, with chicken, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions... It was very good. Next I want to play with barley and mushrooms.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......

We had such a nice Saturday. It's great when we get to spend the whole day together. It was a warm day, but not like July or August muggy and hot, it was just hot, without the horrid humiditiy we usually have and the blue skies were so cloudless and vivid. Even though fall won't touch Tampa until late October, we can feel just the slightest change in the air. We so look forward to our first real touch of cooler weather, which will viist in about 5 weeks. We had breakfast on the terrace, then we went out and had both cars washed and waxed (clean and shiny cars run better, don't you think?), then lunch at our favorite little deli, followed a trip to GNC to stock up on a bunch of supplements we'll soon need. BTW., if you are a Gold Card member at GNC, you know that any purchase you make the first 7 days of the month get's you a 20% discount. They've decided to make the 20% discount apply every day from now on! Then we had coffee under the oak and from there we hit the gym. I love the gym on weekend afternoons. It's not crowded and I can just accomplish so much more. We worked out pretty hard for nearly 3 hours, which felt really good.

I was successful in talking Mr. Charlie into Pizza for dinner. WOO HOO! Such a treat. We had a salad as an appetizer, then we split a 12" pizza with spinach and mushroom on the entire pizza and peperoni on 1/2 (for me!). I loved every single fat gram, carb and calorie of my dinner!! We did not have dessert afterwards, just a cup of decaf coffee.

Tomorrow, Charlie doesn't have to go to work until 2 PM, but won't get home until after 11 PM. We'll have breakfast and lunch, but I'll be on my own the rest of the day. I may or may not go to the gym. I worked out so hard today, I could likely use the rest.

I hope you had a great 2 mile run Steph! Looks like Ike is going to stay away from us, which is good news. How terrific that Adam's company will match dollar for dollar on your behalf!!

Skippy, at dinner tonight I saw so many people having pizza and a coke and I used to do the same. I realized that I haven't had a soft drink in what will be 3 years in a few short weeks. I guess I miss it, but not enough to have one. I would bet I wouldn't like the sweetness anymore? I hope tonight's barbeque was fun and how terrific that hubby is helping with Habitat for Humanity. That is awesome!!

Sounds like you had fun at Mama Mia with your friends Zoe!!

Michelle, I guess I missed where you were working in a 911 center. I'm sorry people are so rude and stupid. But, I wanted you to know I so admire what you do and I know it can be tough and rewarding at the same time.

Wow, a 100 mile bike ride Kathleen and with children in tow. I hope you have a great time and it's a terrific experience!

4 pounds in two weeks!! Go Tacori Go Tacori Go Takori!!!!!!!!

I'm glad your cough is better Apple and you were able to get out and run!

I'm glad you had a splurge lunch Marcy!! Even I've learned that we just have to splurge once in a while. You saw I had pizza tonight??!!

Happy Anniversary Sharon!! I hope you guys have a wonderful celebration!!

Panda, your post touched me too. And trust us, WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE!! I'm glad you found your way to feeling better and energized and found the motivation to push harder. Like Marcy commented, you had a pretty heavy dinner last night and I'm sure it definitely affected the evil scale monster. You've lost weight. Your clothes are fitting better. You're working out hard and you should be really proud of yourself for all those things!!

Hey Kimberly, I hope you get your bike ride tomorrow, but if not I'm sure you'll have a good time on the elliptical. How cool that you and John will be working out at the Y together!! My mom used to make barley soup, so I'm very fond of barley for sure!

Have a great Sunday Everyone!! And Rod turned out the light and went to bed............

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, I am glad you had a marvelous dinner last night including some wine. I was going to have some wine with our lunch today but the girl never asked me if I wanted anything other than water so I saved myself some money and calories.
Zoe, you are so right that even if you slip up you just go right back on track the next meal or next day.
Kimi, that’s great you and J will be joining the Y. I hope you get to go for a nice bike ride tomorrow.
Rod, it sounds like you had a wonderful day that included pizza. Woo hoo! It must be the week for pizza.
emotion-33.gif
Yummy!

125420vuh9az127q.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well our party was a success and hubby helped me clean up! Next week is a party at someone else''s house so that will be nice to be able to sit back and relax a little more. Someone brought keylime pie so of course I had to have a peice.
11.gif
Tomorrow I will workout. Sleep well all
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning all. Just a quick check in to say I am going riding today, and I''m nervous as it''s been over a month. These women are tough, and I can''t keep up. While they''ve been increasing their rides in length and difficulty I haven''t touched my bike. I think only one woman is going, but I''m still sorta concerned. Just thought I''d share. Obviously they know I can''t keep up, but I feel like such a dolt.

Skip, glad the party went well.

Marcy, boo for no wine. Silly waitress.

Marcy and Rod, I''m excited J will be working out too! We can go together sometimes, that will be nice. There are lots of interesting classes offered, I''m not a class sorta girl but I think I''ll be trying them out.

Have a great day. I''ll be back to let you know how the ride goes.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Sunday Morning All!
emhot.gif
Yesterday was funny because my plans for what I was serving at this bbq changed a few times because I burnt the corn!!! hehe Who burns corn?!?! Oh well, kind of funny, but overall was a success! It is so beautiful today outside; I am looking forward to my Hour long walk tonight!!! Hope everyone is having a fabulous day!
9.gif

Marcy, your pizza sounded yummy! Glad you will go camping again and yay for the 1/10 of lb! If you lived by me I would have asked you and Marty to come over to the party and would have given you a big ole glass of wine!! heeeheee I had a glass of wine for ya, last night!
2.gif
emcocktl.gif
cheers

Sharon, Happy Anniversary!!!!! Awesome to 23 yrs!!! cheers
emcocktl.gif

PANDA ~ yay for turning your day into a positive one, you are doing awesome, you should be proud!!!

DEE*JAY ~ we had a few bottles of wine and thought of you. hehe Yay for the workout!

ZOE ~ good words and so true on weight loss!!

KIMI ~ yay for joining the Y!!! Sounds like a blast for you and hubby! Wooo hooo on the uber bike ride!

ROD ~YUM to a pizza night, now I am craving it
3.gif
Enjoy your morning with Charlie! I wonder when DHW starts?? hehe

KATHLEEN, yay for the bike ride, huge kudos on 100 miles

TACORI ~ yay for being at your low, you are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is really about eating better and exercise is the bonus! hee

SDL ~ so sorry people were a pain!!! You are doing good work, we are proud of you!!! How were the mashed potatos? hehe
9.gif

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning! Just a quick fly by before I get my day started.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the kind comments about my last post. I knew, within the first day I joined this thread, that I had come to the right place for support and encouragement.
1.gif

We''re off to meet a friend for brunch at a local Tibetian restaurant. Hope everyone has a great Sunday! More later...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Back from a 20 mile ride. I was SLOW but a managed to complete the whole ride. I did hurt my unmentionables while riding. My foot slipped off the peddle and I landed on the bar of my bike, it certainly did not feel good. OUCH!

J is gearing up for the Chargers game and I''m thinking a book and a nap is sounding good. We''re having BBQ steak for dinner.

Panda, so many of us have found great support and encouragement here, and it''s nice to know people feel comfortable continuing to join in when seeking the same things. There was some talk of dismantling the thread a while back, before the Healthy Lifestyle forum was created, and it would have been a sad thing for many of us who use this as a way to find encouragement and accountability (as well as a reminder that it''s okay to splurge every onnce in a while).

Skip, I bet I could burn corn. Glad your BBQ was great. I''m really looking forward to starting up at the Y. Lots of interesting classes. And I''m just glad DH is going to have a place to work out some of his frustrations (the gym was recommended by his MD because of his stress level with work).

Kathleen, are you back from your ride yet?

Rod, did you find a pleasant way to spend Sunday afternoon/evening alone?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2008 4:30:03 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Kimberly, how fun for you! My bike sits in my garage covered with crap.. my son took the tires off two years ago to fix a flat and it never got put back together.. I'd rather walk. LOL
BIke riding is fun, and it kicks my butt. We ride the 56 out to the 5 and back. I had forgotten that you lived in Chicago.

ETA: The difficult part of riding is I have a 10 year old mountain bike, it doesn't quite take those hills like a nice 10 speed road bike. When those guys dressed like Lance Armstrong dolls pass me I feel like such a pokey puppy. Oh well, my bike is older, heavier, squeeky, and not built for speed.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey There.......It was a lazy day for me. We had breakfast on the terrace, then lunch at Panera and coffee before Charlie had to be at work. The rest of the day was just quiet. I came home and napped with Sakai. That was about it. No gym, or anything even leading up to an increased heart rate.......LOL. I finally went out and got a salad for dinner, then had a cup of coffee under the oak and did some people watching. The Sbucks under the oak, is a great place to people watch for sure. Charlie won't be home until around 11 PM, but he is off tomorrow. We'll meet for sushi at favorite sushi place #2 after I get off work tomorrow evening.

Skippy, I'm glad your party was a success sweetie! So how did you burn that corn?.......LOL I hope you had a great walk this morning! I'm not sure when DHW starts, but the new television shows start later and later every season. When I was a kid, new shows started right at the beginning of the new school year. Now, they don't start until like October? There's going to be a Vampire series on HBO this fall. I'm really looking forward to that. In this show, the vampires supposedly live (if you can say that) among the living and coexist somehow. It should be very interesting for sure.........

Thanks Marcy, I did enjoy the pizza last night. I guess I won't have it again for another couple months, but at least I know I'll have it again!

Woo Hoo for going the twnety miles on your bike Kimberly!! I think someone should be asking Santa for a nice new 10 speed bike for Chirstmas, don't you?? Thanks for asking about my quite day. Nothing exiting happened as you saw, but it was at least relaxing.......

Panda, I'm glad you like the support of our happy healthy family here. It's the only part of PS I really participate in these days, but I always look forward to checking in each day! Keep up the great work!!

Michelle, I don't think I'd be too concerned over having some mashed taters!! There are far worse things you could have. True, they're loaded with carbs, but potatoes are actually good for you. Now the butter, milk, sour cream and/or gravy........that's another story entirely!!! Again, I think what you do for a living is so amazing. Have you had to talk someone through delivering a baby yet? I imagine that would be unbelievable!! LOL about your bike without wheels!!

Not too many posts for the day. I hope it meant everyone was out having a fantastic Sunday. See you in next week's thread.......

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back from a 50 min walk, 3.25 miles.
9.gif
I am going to eat a big bowl of mango and blueberries pretty soon. For dinner we had grilled chicken breast w/sliced avocado on whole grain bread w/ a side of black beans. Today has just been cleaning up the house day. Tomorrow I have to an early morning meeting but nothing else too exciting going on. Have a great evening all, hope everyone had a Wonderful weekend!
9.gif

Rod, hubby is a much better cook than me; I love to bake so I am better in that department. I wanted to steam the corn and I guess the water boiled to fast and hence, burnt corn. hehe You will have to share you corn tips with me. Glad you had a nice relaxing day and nice breakfast with Charlie. How is the weather/storm out there?

Kimi, your bike accident sounds like it hurt, ouch, I hope you are okay. Have you thought of getting a new bike? I got a new one and it makes a huge, difference!! hehe Hope your day was wonderful!! Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in the burning stuff dept. hehe
9.gif
Thanks Kimi!

SDL, no worries, just get back on track, I bet you didn't do as bad as you thought, sweetheart!!! Yay for all your great walks and glad you had your potatoes! heehe
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We enjoyed our dinners out--thank you for all your kind words!

Too cool and wet for a run/bike this AM, but the weather cleared and the sun was out this evening. Pleasant brisk walk did the trick!

Kim: hope you are recovered from your spill--take care! I am sure Santa would be happy to bring you a new set-o-wheels!
SDL: mashed potatoes and gravy; perfect food! YUM to gravy!
18.gif

35.gif
hope ya'll are doing well (I think of ya'll even tho I don't write to ya'll
9.gif
).

in health and happiness--Sharon

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the well wishes, Sharon and Skip. I''m surviving alright, but I certainly did a bit of bruising damage. I set up a walk with a girfriend tomorrow morning, I don''t have to work untill 11 something, and she thought we''d hit the mountain trails, I requested something a little more, um, flat. I don''t know if it will make a difference but it just sounds more appealing.

As for a new bike, our gardener wants to purchase mine and J is pushing me to sell it to him and use the $ to buy a new one, but I''m attached to the stupid thing, squeaks and all, and I''d hate to have him buy it only to have it die on him (it is 10 years old or so). So silly. Plus I don''t ride a ton, so it''s not high on my list of things to spend money on, especially since we''re going to add a gym membership to our monthly bills. I do want an iPod though, and J said he would buy me one tomorrow, SO COOL! I think I''m just getting a shuffle, I don''t need more that 500 songs. Maybe I''ll break down one day, we''ll see.

We had slow cooked steak, brocolli, and fruit salad for dinner. It was yummy.

Ni'' night.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberly, I guess I read the post too quickly and missed how you hurt yourself. I''m sorry you''re sore and hope you don''t bruise too badly. Yay for getting an iPod tomorrow. I use my every single time I go to the gym. I only use it on the elliptica as it''s loaded with a bazillion highly charged dance tunes to keep my pace up throughout my entire run. I don''t use it for weights though. Anyway, feel better and enjoy your walk tomorrow.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
We had a busy day. We went to a BBQ that was running late so stood around there for about an hour before grabbing a hot dog before we left. Then we came home to meet a teacher to give away most of the telescopes we recently acquired. After getting the scopes out of the garage I swept the floor again so it’d be nice and clean.
I lost my left contact today.
38.gif
I had just put them in then put on mascara and the contact was bothering me so I tried to pull it out, I didn’t see it come out so I blinked, my eye was fine so I just drained all the water in the sink then I washed my hands to get the mascara off of my fingers and then I realized I couldn’t see out of my left eye. Rats, it was long gone by then. Oh well, I have enough in my HSA to pay for it.
I emailed the jewelry stores where my wrings are from today to see if I can get them to put them together and get them back the same day next weekend. I wanted to keep them separate but they are beating each other up pretty bad so they’ll need polished up as well. They said I could get them back in one day. Yippee!
woohoo.gif

Skippy, I am glad your party was fun. We would LOVE to have been there with you guys and thank you for having some wine for me.
mmfreshmartini.gif
I feel better now. That’s wonderful you had a nice, long walk today. We were pretty chilly here again and tomorrow will only be in the 50’s. Rats. I am going to wear my twin set with stars since I have class in the evening.
Kimi, I hope you get over your aches and pains from the ride; I am excited you finished it though. I hope the Y has some classes you’ll enjoy. That will be fun to be able to work out with J sometimes. I missed wine again today at the BBQ. They didn’t get the wine open until about the time we had to leave. Oh well, that saved me some calories and I was very happy they hadn’t cut the cake yet or I would have definitely indulged in that.
3.gif

Panda, I am glad you are enjoying this thread. I think it’s GREAT! I hope you had fun at lunch with your friend.
SanDiegoLady, mashed potatoes aren’t that bad – my mom eats them sometimes and she’s on ww. If I remember correctly she gets ½ cup for 2 points. I add them in to my calories sometimes too. I am glad you had some quality time with Steve’s daughter. I will post pictures when I pick up my new jewelry.
Rod, I think it’s great you had a lazy day. You deserve it after the grueling days you put in during the week. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your pizza. I will probably have my other 2 small pieces of pizza before school tomorrow evening.
Sharon, the weather was pretty chilly here today too. When we were at the BBQ it was very breezy so I stayed in the sun to try and stay warm. I only wore a jean jacket and Marty had on a sweatshirt. I kept trying to get him to change with me but he said no way could he fit in my jacket. It would have been entertaining to see. I am glad you enjoyed your dinners.
I’ll see you all on Monday.
Marcy

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimi, sending a hug to you!!!

Rod, I did see the previews for that show and I IMMEDIATLEY, thought of you! hehe

Marcy, yay for a bbq but boo to the contact!!! Yay for rings being ready! Like all the emoticons you have been using. hehe

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

The last few meals have been challenging, as I was eating out and it''s so much harder to stay on track. I just decided that I wasn''t going to be ultra-strict and to primarily exercise portion control. Last night, I met up with some friends for dinner at an Argentinian restaurant. I only had a quarter of my dinner and took the rest home. We went for dessert and I had a couple of bites of a lemon meringue pie and an apple crepe. Today, we met some friends at a buffet brunch at a Tibetian restaurant. It was SO delish! Again, I didn''t deprive myself but didn''t over indulge either. In the afternoon, I went to the gym for an hour... I pushed myself so hard on the elliptical, my t-shirt was completely drenched! LOL! Tonight, my sweetie''s out with some friends so I made myself a steak with broccolini.

Sharon, Happy Anniversary! 23 years, wow! Hope you enjoyed your weekend of celebrating.

Marcy, thank you again, for your kind words. You are so sweet and I really appreciated the things you said. Sorry to hear about your left contact. Be sure to post pics of your new goodies, I wanna see!!!

Dee*Jay, glad to hear you had a great meal last night. I hope you enjoyed your birthday weekend.

Kim, your African casserole sounds tasty! I love experimenting with cuisines. YAY for completing your bike ride! Ouch, I''m sorry to hear you slipped off the peddle. Hope you feel better soon!

Rod, sounds like you had such a nice weekend. I''m glad you enjoyed your pizza dinner. It''s good to allow yourself to indulge sometimes and to really savor each bite. Your 3 hour gym workouts still impress me and is something I aspire to! Thanks again for your kind words about my previous post.

Skippy, I''m glad your party was a success! Your DH is so sweet for helping you tidy up. Yay for your 3.25 mile walk and for tasty mangoes and blueberries! I love fresh fruit.

SDL, Mmmm, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad and tri-tip. One of my favorite kinds of meals. That''s okay, you sound like you got right back on the wagon this morning. Sadly, I heart potatoes in any way, shape or form, though I wish I didn''t. We should start an anti-carb support group! LOL! Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Hope everyone is doing well!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Skippy, I have to use the emoticons because you went to all the work to put them together.

slider_yourock.gif

Panda, you are very welcome.You are a sweetie and I am glad to help in any way I can.No worries on overindulging this weekend, I did too and it looks like I am up 2 pounds.I’ll know for sure in the morning – the scream you hear from the Rocky Mountains will be ME.
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif

Now I''m off to
sleepy.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SanDiegoLady, glad you are feeling better about your mashed potatoes. If it was packaged gravy it''s not bad calorie wise either. You should try the slow churned ice. It is low fat and between 100 to 120 calories per 1/2 cup. Even Marty likes it and we have it practically every day. Of course he gets more than my 1/2 cup.
1.gif

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
SDL... LOL! dessert has a way of breaking even the strongest of wills
3.gif
Tomorrow is another day. Enjoy your morning walk.

Marcy, I hope the scale is kind to you tomorrow morning
1.gif

SS, I posted the recipe for the non-mayo coleslaw and roasted tomatoes, as well as the pork chop recipe, on the recipes thread. Sorry I took so long!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results