shape
carat
color
clarity

Headlight's BGD Recuts (part 1)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Some of you may recall reading that I had inherited a pair of very large diamond studs of high quality (appraised by AGS Certified Appraiser as G color, VS1 clarity). However, given they were cut many, many decades ago, they definitely were not anywhere near today's standards. Although, in truth, they sparkled very nicely as earrings. Yet, the size was just too large for my ears and what I felt comfortable wearing, and so short of maybe a few times a year they sat in my safe as I continued to pay a lot to insure them. I was thinking of selling them, but the sentimental value just was too great. So I decided I would break them up into 2 separate, more wearable pieces: A solitaire ring and a solitaire pendant. ALSO, I decided I would get them recut! A couple months ago, I sent them to Brian Gavin and the recuts were just completed. They still need to be sent for grading, but the before and after images are amazing! Here is the data for Stone #1... I cannot upload enough photos in one thread so I will post the details for Stone #2 in a separate thread.

Stone #1 Before:
2.527 ct., 8.79 mm
Depth 61.1%
Pavilion 44.7%
PA 42.1
Crown 12.1%
CA 33.3
Table 63.4%
Culet Pointed
Girdle Med-STHK

1578173328877.png

1578173352389.png

1578173368742.png

1578173381580.png

Stone #1 AFTER:
2.166 ct., 8.46 mm
Depth 59.8%
Pavilion 43.2%
PA 40.8
Crown 14.1%
CA 33.8
Table 58%
Culet Pointed
Girdle Thin-Med

1578173884660.png

1578173901542.png

1578173918584.png

1578173938035.png

1578173952997.png

1578173967265.png

Attachments

• 1578174143738.png
    1578174143738.png
    288.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1578174158264.png
    1578174158264.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1578174173071.png
    1578174173071.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1578174187520.png
    1578174187520.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1578174398979.png
    1578174398979.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 11

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! What a change - it looks gorgeous!! Do you have any idea of when the diamond was originally cut? Is this diamond now considered ideal cut? In person it will be so interesting to compare it to your recent upgrade! Looking forward to more pictures!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! What a change - it looks gorgeous!! Do you have any idea of when the diamond was originally cut? Is this diamond now considered ideal cut? In person it will be so interesting to compare it to your recent upgrade! Looking forward to more pictures!

Hi! Very exciting, indeed! I do not know when they were originally cut... I've had them maybe almost 20 years, and my relative had them for as long as I can recall prior, so maybe they were cut 40 years ago??? I don't know if they would now be AGS 0 or 1, I'm sure some of our experts here can tell us more. Next step is to have them sent out for grading. And YES, it WILL be VERY interesting to see how they compare. Clearly my recent upgrade will appear more colorless since it is. The recuts will have better optical symmetry. But as to performance, that is really what I am interested in!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg that is an insane transformation!!! Totally worth it, imho!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Omg that is an insane transformation!!! Totally worth it, imho!!

Thank you!!!
I've missed seeing you "around" in recent months!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow these recuts look amazing! Love the ring and pendant idea. Which way round are you doing it?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Wow these recuts look amazing! Love the ring and pendant idea. Which way round are you doing it?

Thanks! I think I am going to put the larger stone in the ring and the smaller for the pendant. I came to that decision because I already have my current round soli, an 8.01mm. So I think it makes sense to use the larger one (8.60 mm) in the ring so I can have my "everyday ring" and my "special occasion ring". I would wear the pendant more often, so I would rather have something smaller for that in which case then the pendant would get the 8.46 mm stone. Clearly having my 8.01 mm and then an 8.46 mm for the special occasion ring would still make a difference, but given they will both be solitaires and also in the exact same setting, I think going with the 8.68 mm will really designate it as the "special occasion ring". I can't even believe I'm having this conversation, it's so crazy! Definitely glad I didn't sell them, and really excited to not only "repurpose" them, but also to have this amazing makeover thanks to BGD!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Excited for you! Looking forward to seeing the stones set!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

LOLOL I don't know why I find these recut threads so compelling--but they are!!!! Lovely inheritance and happy you are not mourning the loss of carat weight--the new look is stunning.

cheers--Sharon

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Excited for you! Looking forward to seeing the stones set!

Thank you! I will report back when I have grading reports and, of course, post final photos!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
HI:

LOLOL I don't know why I find these recut threads so compelling--but they are!!!! Lovely inheritance and happy you are not mourning the loss of carat weight--the new look is stunning.

cheers--Sharon

Thank you! I felt fine about the weight loss because of where they were starting out. I can assure you I would not be happy having my current 2.01 recut!!!!!!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I think I am going to put the larger stone in the ring and the smaller for the pendant. I came to that decision because I already have my current round soli, an 8.01mm. So I think it makes sense to use the larger one (8.60 mm) in the ring so I can have my "everyday ring" and my "special occasion ring". I would wear the pendant more often, so I would rather have something smaller for that in which case then the pendant would get the 8.46 mm stone. Clearly having my 8.01 mm and then an 8.46 mm for the special occasion ring would still make a difference, but given they will both be solitaires and also in the exact same setting, I think going with the 8.68 mm will really designate it as the "special occasion ring". I can't even believe I'm having this conversation, it's so crazy! Definitely glad I didn't sell them, and really excited to not only "repurpose" them, but also to have this amazing makeover thanks to BGD!

Why the exact same setting? I would do something different! I think if you have two in the same setting, you’ll just stop wearing your current ring to always wear the bigger one.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Why the exact same setting? I would do something different! I think if you have two in the same setting, you’ll just stop wearing your current ring to always wear the bigger one.

I have knuckle issues so I need to use a mounting from Cliq. I have had so many different styles of mountings (before I had these finger issues) over the years and I'm honestly tired of throwing $$$ into mountings. I'm sure my husband will be delighted to hear that lol! I'm really loving having a really nice quality stone in a solitaire. I know what you mean about just always deferring to the larger one, as my husband and I discussed it, but I had a larger diamond before and I was uncomfortable wearing it. That's largely why I did my "downsizing" trade. And that's why I never wore these recut stones hardly ever as the diamond stud pair they were, just way too large for my ears and my surroundings. Also, what will be the "smaller" soli is also my E color stone which I have not yet grown tired of, so I feel like I will have the best of all worlds. Yes, there's definitely places where I will enjoy having the larger stone, but for everyday in my little "world" I still feel the size I traded in my former larger stone for is a great size for me (8.01 mm). Yes, it would be nice if one of my solitaires was a different shape! And I almost got a marquise when I did my trade (to recapture my original e-ring shape) but I had no idea I would be doing this a year ago. So now I will have 2 rounds. Could be much worse!!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I have knuckle issues so I need to use a mounting from Cliq. I have had so many different styles of mountings (before I had these finger issues) over the years and I'm honestly tired of throwing $$$ into mountings. I'm sure my husband will be delighted to hear that lol! I'm really loving having a really nice quality stone in a solitaire. I know what you mean about just always deferring to the larger one, as my husband and I discussed it, but I had a larger diamond before and I was uncomfortable wearing it. That's largely why I did my "downsizing" trade. And that's why I never wore these recut stones hardly ever as the diamond stud pair they were, just way too large for my ears and my surroundings. Also, what will be the "smaller" soli is also my E color stone which I have not yet grown tired of, so I feel like I will have the best of all worlds. Yes, there's definitely places where I will enjoy having the larger stone, but for everyday in my little "world" I still feel the size I traded in my former larger stone for is a great size for me (8.01 mm). Yes, it would be nice if one of my solitaires was a different shape! And I almost got a marquise when I did my trade (to recapture my original e-ring shape) but I had no idea I would be doing this a year ago. So now I will have 2 rounds. Could be much worse!!!

I really like your idea of having the two rounds - one for every day life and one for special occasions. And I am really curious about how your 8.01 performs compared to your recent recuts! Looking forward to hearing all about that!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I really like your idea of having the two rounds - one for every day life and one for special occasions. And I am really curious about how your 8.01 performs compared to your recent recuts! Looking forward to hearing all about that!

Hopefully it doesn't make me really hate the current!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
For anyone that cares, it was brought to my attention that I had the same “after” images for both stones. Here are tbe correct after images for this stone:
1578222205359.jpeg 1578222234005.jpeg 1578222260517.jpeg 1578222282893.jpeg 1578222300630.jpeg
My apologies for the mix-up. In the end, the result is still the same: BGD did an incredible transformation!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful transformation!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @headlight, I just found my way into this thread. I started at your part two. LOL, leave it to me to start backwards.

Anyhow, I provided some before & after HCA's for you on the other thread as you indicated you'd like to see them. I thought you may appreciate them on this stone as well.

Again, another phenomenal transformation. So happy for you.

In the spirit of disclosure, since I didn't have complete dimensions I just assumed L & W were identical (which they probably aren't, but the difference won't be significant) and I simply calculated the average of the L & W by the depth % to arrive at a depth mm. This applies to both the original cut & the re-cut. Also, on the original cut I just assumed it was "excellent" symmetry.

Original Cut:
CaptureBefore.PNG

After Re-Cut:
CaptureAfter.PNG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely recuts! Would love to see them on!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful! I get all sentimental about my “fair” cuts from long ago, so they sit unworn in a safe. You and your newly cut diamonds are an inspiration

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hey @headlight, I just found my way into this thread. I started at your part two. LOL, leave it to me to start backwards.

Anyhow, I provided some before & after HCA's for you on the other thread as you indicated you'd like to see them. I thought you may appreciate them on this stone as well.

Again, another phenomenal transformation. So happy for you.

In the spirit of disclosure, since I didn't have complete dimensions I just assumed L & W were identical (which they probably aren't, but the difference won't be significant) and I simply calculated the average of the L & W by the depth % to arrive at a depth mm. This applies to both the original cut & the re-cut. Also, on the original cut I just assumed it was "excellent" symmetry.

Original Cut:
CaptureBefore.PNG

After Re-Cut:
CaptureAfter.PNG

I’m so sorry... I have the depth mm info, just didn’t list it. I, too, tried the HCA but wasn’t sure if I was doing it properly given we only had one measurement for diameter so I, too, just put that in twice. I have to go check my notes but I think for me it came up as 0.9 on this one with all Excellent, as well, on the recut stats so basically same. I, too, entered as Excellent for symmetry figuring it would be close enough. (Glad to hear I did same as you given, as you know, I recently earned GIA Diamond Graduate yet it’s all new to me as I’ve never worked in a jewelry store so I haven’t had experience seeing stones and reports, etc.) I did not run HCA for the starting condition as I figured they would score poorly so that is interesting as the visual patten was a mess but they did sparkle nicely. As to the recut HCA (whether .8 or .9), I know those are recommended for pendants and earrings but not for rings. Clearly we are okay for the pendant, but it’s not ideal in a ring with a score that low. I don’t have a choice as that’s the way they are, but do you think horrible as a ring? Mind you, it will be for going out on weekends, etc., and not my “weekday, everyday routine” ring. I’ll check where I entered a different value than you that yielded .9 rather than .8 as you got. The reason I didn’t include the full sarin as a copy and paste is because it had my name listed and I wanted to preserve anonymity.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful! I get all sentimental about my “fair” cuts from long ago, so they sit unworn in a safe. You and your newly cut diamonds are an inspiration

Definitely a leap of faith (and an expense involved) to make the change!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results