shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA isn''t helping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Hello all.

I am very undecided about this diamond, please tell me what you think. I tried plugging the numbers into the HCA, but it is telling me the girdle is too thin, but the description is SLTK-TK.

Round Brillian
H color
SI2 clarity (it is truly eye clean, I saw it in person)
Table 59%
Depth 62.6
Cut: VG
Symm VG
Polish VG
Fluoro: Neg
Culet: None
Girdle: SLTK-TK

5.84x5.95x3.69

$2580.

What do you all think? I am so torn, I tried this on in my potential setting and this is the potential setting. She said that she will give me the setting, diamond and a plain WG 14K band for $3990, including tax. All stones in the band are VG/VG/VG H-I stones.

Do you think is this is a great deal? It is a touch out of my budget, but I darn near cried when I tried it on.

I am so lost, please just tell me what to do.

Thanks!

Holly Hoffman.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the angles or percents you are using for crown and pavilion?

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I knew I was forgetting something!

Sorry,
Crown 35%

Pavillion 41%

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no problem with the numbers...

62.6% depth, 59% table, 35° crown angle, 41° pavilion angle, HCA 2.9.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:17:55 PM
Author: Noahsmom
I knew I was forgetting something!

Sorry,
Crown 35%

Pavillion 41%
Ok I think I can see what the problem is, these are angle measurements , if you enter them as percents the HCA won't take them. Entered as angles, the HCA is 2.9. The angles are hovering around steep deep territory which could mean potential leakage, the thing with GIA angles is they are rounded so it may or not be an issue depending on if they are in reality steeper than 35/ 41 or shallower - if shallower then it could be fine. All you can do is to look at it as carefully as you can away from the store lights preferably and look for any darkness on top of the diamond or around the table, sometimes you can see a dark ring around the table if you look.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
See, she told me they were the %, I thought they would be different measurements.

2.9, is okay, but not great right?

I will tell you, this sparkled like something else. I took it out in the sunlight and a couple other light settings and no matter what it was wonderful.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:24:05 PM
See, she told me they were the %, I thought they would be different measurements.

I will tell you, this sparkled like something else. I took it out in the sunlight and a couple other light settings and no matter what it was wonderful.
2.9 could be better but the angles are rounded so according to which way they are actually rounded then leakage may or may not be a problem. All you can do is to check the diamond out away from the store lights preferably, look to see if there is any darkness around the table particularly of the diamond - but trust your eyes. Also you could order an Idealscope for $25 and check it out yourself, this will reveal any leakage if present and also you can use it for any other diamond purchases! But if you love the diamond and have compared it to others such as AGS0 cut grade which are usually of known cut quality and it stands out then thats the main thing! That you almost cried when you tried the ring on means it is definitely worth considering!

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If you think it's beautiful, it probably is.

Can you find an AGS0 in a similar size and color to look at for comparison? It's possible that you won't see a difference that matters to you. Not everyone is stuck on getting the perfect ideal cut.

Edited to add: Yes, an idealscope is a great idea.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ya, it is ok especially if you have seen it in person. We usually recommend <2 just to be safe as we can''t see the stone ourself.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The girdle adds to the depth and is causing it to face up about 7% less than a RB with proper spread.

Those angles should look good in direct light, especially if GIA rounded the PA up from 40.9 and the CA up from 34.8 (possible). The best test will be comparing it to a bona fide top performer in low or reflected light. I like the under-counter test, and the candlelit restaurant test is even better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:27:38 PM
Author: glitterata
If you think it''s beautiful, it probably is.

Can you find an AGS0 in a similar size and color to look at for comparison? It''s possible that you won''t see a difference that matters to you. Not everyone is stuck on getting the perfect ideal cut.
Absolutely right and important to remember!

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 2:27:30 PM
Author: Lorelei

2.9 could be better but the angles are rounded so according to which way they are actually rounded then leakage may or may not be a problem. All you can do is to check the diamond out away from the store lights preferably, look to see if there is any darkness around the table particularly of the diamond - but trust your eyes. Also you could order an Idealscope for $25 and check it out yourself, this will reveal any leakage if present and also you can use it for any other diamond purchases! But if you love the diamond and have compared it to others and it stands out then thats the main thing!

I have ordered my idealscope, and I recieved the shipping email yesterday, so it should be here in a few days. She said that she can hold the diamond until Saturday, and then have to send it back. If I want it after Sat then she can have it brought back in with no problems.

It really was beautiful, and I could easily see the arrows, and in the shade, sunlight, jewelers lighting (they had halogen and normal bulbs) it was just brilliant. I didn''t see any darkness around the table though, I might have just been blinded too
1.gif

The picture attatched is the actual stone and setting I tried on, they had a CAD machine take the pictures just so I could post it for you fine diamond experts
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:32:28 PM

Date: 2/11/2009 2:27:30 PM

2.9 could be better but the angles are rounded so according to which way they are actually rounded then leakage may or may not be a problem. All you can do is to check the diamond out away from the store lights preferably, look to see if there is any darkness around the table particularly of the diamond - but trust your eyes. Also you could order an Idealscope for $25 and check it out yourself, this will reveal any leakage if present and also you can use it for any other diamond purchases! But if you love the diamond and have compared it to others and it stands out then thats the main thing!

I have ordered my idealscope, and I recieved the shipping email yesterday, so it should be here in a few days. She said that she can hold the diamond until Saturday, and then have to send it back. If I want it after Sat then she can have it brought back in with no problems.

It really was beautiful, and I could easily see the arrows, and in the shade, sunlight, jewelers lighting (they had halogen and normal bulbs) it was just brilliant. I didn''t see any darkness around the table though, I might have just been blinded too
1.gif

The picture attatched is the actual stone and setting I tried on, they had a CAD machine take the pictures just so I could post it for you fine diamond experts
9.gif
That sounds fine, also try the methods John mentioned if you can - ask if they have an AGS0 round you can compare it to then do the under the counter test! Thanks for the pics!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2009 2:35:58 PM

Date: 2/11/2009 2:32:28 PM

It really was beautiful, and I could easily see the arrows, and in the shade, sunlight, jewelers lighting (they had halogen and normal bulbs) it was just brilliant. I didn't see any darkness around the table though, I might have just been blinded too
1.gif

9.gif
That sounds fine, also try the methods John mentioned if you can - ask if they have an AGS0 round you can compare it to then do the under the counter test! Thanks for the pics!
Very cool NM. You are about to officially join the ranks of "armed diamond shoppers." Do have fun comparing what you see in direct & soft light to what the ideal-scope shows you. One thing necessary will be to clean the diamonds frequently with a polishing cloth. When manipulating them a lot, as you and your sales associate may do in the comparison process, it's important that all candidates are at their best.

Have fun.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
That is a great idea. She said she has also ordered a .70, AGS0 for me to look at. That should be in tomorrow, so I will go tomorrow and compare the 2. if they are both of equal quality cuts, should the ct size make a huge difference?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:40:11 PM
That is a great idea. She said she has also ordered a .70, AGS0 for me to look at. That should be in tomorrow, so I will go tomorrow and compare the 2. if they are both of equal quality cuts, should the ct size make a huge difference?
Groovy!!!! Just see what you think when you compare them for weight versus apparent face up size!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As I mentioned above, the 0.80 H SI2 faces up small due to the girdle. It has the spread of a 0.75 ct so by comparison it won''t be vastly different than the 0.70.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 2:43:12 PM
Author: John Pollard

As I mentioned above, the 0.80 H SI2 faces up small due to the girdle. It has the spread of a 0.75 ct so by comparison it won''t be vastly different than the 0.70.

You guys are so knowledgeable! Thank you all so much for your help. I am so nervous/excited/anxious, not to mention I am STILL waiting on the detailed specs of 3 JA stones. I''m so nervous about making the wrong decision, I feel queasy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:50:54 PM

Date: 2/11/2009 2:43:12 PM
Author: John Pollard

You guys are so knowledgeable! Thank you all so much for your help. I am so nervous/excited/anxious, not to mention I am STILL waiting on the detailed specs of 3 JA stones. I''m so nervous about making the wrong decision, I feel queasy.
You are very welcome! And don''t worry, you won''t make the wrong decision because you have put time and effort into learning about diamonds, so pat yourself on the back for being a smart shopper and have fun and enjoy queasy excitement not
emotion-41.gif
queasy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results