shape
carat
color
clarity

Hawaii - How to decide which islands?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Blushingbride, but let''s be frank here-- you set the bar REALLY REALLY high with your shots!

JCrow, here''s another one that I think does a good job at capturing Kauai in a way that the more classic brochure shots would not (and is not part of any day-trip interisland tours, LOL). The following is part of a hidden, hard-to-find trail down through the jungle to go to "Secret Beach":

kauaisecretrail1.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
see see see?! THIS is why i can''t decide!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 4:29:48 PM
Author: jcrow
ok. day trip looks like THE solution! we can stay on maui and take a day trip to the big island and a day trip to kauai.

If you''re only going to do a daytrip to Kauai, probably the #! thing worth doing is a helicopter tour of the island; Napali really is spectacular at that elevation, and the colors are awe-inducing:

kauainepali1.jpg

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
(duplicate post, sorry)

kauainepali1.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
23.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
From one of the few "crowded" places in Kauai; up the only navigable river in Hawaii, past the fern grotto, you can first climb up then jump off a 30 foot cliff to the fresh water below, re-board your kayak, and paddle over to the parking spot to walk through about 1/4 mile of jungle to a beautiful waterfall (with a deep swimming hole beneath). Though it lost a bit in the scan, there was a beauty in the casual assortment of bold-colored plastic boats under the green jungle canopy:

kauaicanoe1.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
JCrow, you don''t happen to be a LOST fan, do you?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 4:59:32 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Date: 6/23/2008 4:29:48 PM
ok. day trip looks like THE solution! we can stay on maui and take a day trip to the big island and a day trip to kauai.

If you're only going to do a daytrip to Kauai, probably the #! thing worth doing is a helicopter tour of the island; Napali really is spectacular at that elevation, and the colors are awe-inducing:
Ditto, but also do a boat ride of the Napali coast through Napali catamaran. We did a helicopter with Blue Hawaii and Jack Harter; I liked JH best, http://www.helicopters-kauai.com/ and http://www.napalicatamaran.com/ You will see the best portion of the Napali coast since the other catamarans are not allowed to leave Hanalei (only a few have permits) and Napali catamaran is one of them. eta: whichever island you decide on you will have a wonderful time, because they are all beautiful!!! I love them all
face23.gif
hehe
IMG_135344112.JPG

From the helicopter
IMG_07922.JPG

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 5:11:29 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

no, i''v never watched it. why?

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Skippy, I can''t believe you posted those links! We''re headed back to Kauai in a couple of weeks, and I needed to look up the name of the only catamaran company out of Hanalei and book it today... and there you go posting a link. (Wow!) Lovely shots, BTW!

Since you liked the aerial shots JCrow, here''s one of the end of the Kalalau Valley. Kinda cool what a "couple of thousand" years of erosion can do to a volcanic island (and once again, I apologize for the poor scan causing a signif. loss of color and detail):

kauaikal1.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 5:18:33 PM

Date: 6/23/2008 5:11:29 PM

no, i''v never watched it. why?
DH and I are huge Lost fans, so we had a blast on Oahu doing the Lost Virtual Tour. Very cool site that helps figure out where scenes are filmed all over the island.

It was fun for us because we''re huge Lost nerds, and North Shore was beautiful ( we did our TTD pics there.)

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully this one''s so color-saturated that even a bad scan doesn''t dim it:

kauainapali2.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh wow.
23.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
she has! and with that i feel the urge to have pictures taken. of us. in hawaii. oy.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 5:40:53 PM
she has! and with that i feel the urge to have pictures taken. of us. in hawaii. oy.

It was a total blast - most fun I''ve had with my husband in front of a camera.

If you do, check out www.davemiyamoto.com . . . he''s an amazing photographer, and he only charged us ~$400/hr. and we ended up with all of the raw unedited images - I think there were like 500 or something pictures on 2 discs. We did two rolls of underwater pics, and those were on a separate disc.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 5:50:06 PM

It was a total blast - most fun I''ve had with my husband in front of a camera.

If you do, check out www.davemiyamoto.com . . . he''s an amazing photographer, and he only charged us ~$400/hr. and we ended up with all of the raw unedited images - I think there were like 500 or something pictures on 2 discs. We did two rolls of underwater pics, and those were on a separate disc.

wow! really?!
6.gif
23.gif
6.gif

will look into it. thanks.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 7:04:37 PM

Date: 6/23/2008 5:50:06 PM

It was a total blast - most fun I've had with my husband in front of a camera.

If you do, check out www.davemiyamoto.com . . . he's an amazing photographer, and he only charged us ~$400/hr. and we ended up with all of the raw unedited images - I think there were like 500 or something pictures on 2 discs. We did two rolls of underwater pics, and those were on a separate disc.

wow! really?!
6.gif
23.gif
6.gif

will look into it. thanks.

He's on Oahu, but I believe he travels to different islands for heavy work.
2.gif

Tell him Lauren from Dallas, TX sent you. He was giddy for about 5 weeks before we got there because he was so excited to do the underwater work. The pics turned out amazing!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey JCrow! I''ve been to Maui but not the other islands so I don''t have anything to campare it to but it was FANTASTIC! I highly recommend the Four Seasons in Wailea. Great hotel and a great location. If you''re going to rent a car, it''s worth the drive up the coast to Lahaina for the Old Lahaina Luau. Seats on the ground up front are definitely the way to go, although I believe they require a reservation way in advance. http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/oll_menuAlohaMixedPlate.html

What a fabulous way to spend an anniversary! Have a wonderful time!!!!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
O.K., I have to admit, I picked the island we visited based on where I could rent a plane to fly. Here is the view of South Point while flying the Cessna 172. It is the southern most point in the US. Note the lava flows just beyond South Point.

HISouthPoint.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hiking the lava flows. This used to be a road.

Big Island is the newest and rawest island. But, you just can''t go wrong in Hawaii. The place truly is paradise.

HIRoadClosed.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:45:17 PM
Author: Fly Girl
O.K., I have to admit, I picked the island we visited based on where I could rent a plane to fly. Here is the view of South Point while flying the Cessna 172. It is the southern most point in the US. Note the lava flows just beyond South Point.

ok. so this is beyond creepy. hubs was just saying TODAY that he wanted to fly a plane. AND he even asked if our airport has cessna''s to fly. i admit i had never heard of them. and then you go and post this! what are the freakin odds??!
23.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:47:22 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Hiking the lava flows. This used to be a road.

Big Island is the newest and rawest island. But, you just can''t go wrong in Hawaii. The place truly is paradise.

see this is what i think of when i think hawaii. black sand beaches. lava.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Flight instructor, Ebi, along with the Cessna 172 I checked out in. You can also hire the pilot along with the plane. I decided to get checked out, then fly myself. This is at Kona Airport. Link

HIN7112Q.jpg

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Hawaii is truly paradise and is everything that you hope it will be!! it is unbelievable!! i am so jealous you guys are going!!!!

all those pics on the road to hana I remember, thanks for posting those, I like reliving it
5.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I love, love, love, love, love, love, love the Big Island!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 6:16:14 PM
Author: LAJennifer
I love, love, love, love, love, love, love the Big Island!
The Big Island is cool because it is so diverse!!! Also, it has a small feel to it even though it is so big!

hawaii.2006%20047.jpg

hawaii.2006%20048.jpg

hawaii.2006%20084.jpg

159570089_e5d6b073f7.jpg

hawaii.2006%20075.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow! again, with the beautiful pictures! thank you.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
Ok i wanna play...we just got back from kauai for our honeymoon and it was AMAZING...I never wanted to leave. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt and it was breathtaking!!!

Activities we did:
1. North shore hike
2. Helicopter tour
3. Snorkel tour
4. Waimea canyon tour
5. Swam with sea turtles
6. LOTS OF BEACHES

n18803030_33186452_5122.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results