shape
carat
color
clarity

Having to pay White Flash Sales Tax

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

calcaver

Rough_Rock

People are confusing the terms Sales Tax and Use Tax. While their intent are really the same thing, they are not the same in terms of the law. A sales tax is taxation on the sale of an item. States have jurisdiction on the tax rates for sales within their state, but interstate commerce is federal jurisdiction, so states cannot impose taxes on those transactions. The states do not want to lose this revenue if people purchase out of state, but they cannot legally tax those transactions so instead they tax the use of item, hence “Use Tax”. Reading the California documentation, if you do not plan plan to use the item within California, then the use tax does not apply. Hey, I wear the CZ in California and the diamond when I travel outside the state.

31.gif

I am not an attorney, but I question the legality of this ‘technicality’. However, unless someone has the funds and skills to fight it through the LONG legal process, our government will impose these taxations. Is it ethical for a person to evade taxes using loopholes? Is it ethical for the government to resort to technicalities to apply taxes to which they have no legal basis?

What is interesting is the state where the purchase took place is the one that loses taxation revenue.

[Edited the wording, changed immoral to ethical.]

fatkid

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 9:11:00 PM
Author: calcaver

Is it immoral for the government to do resort to technicalities to apply taxes to which they have no legal basis?

What is interesting is the state where the purchase took place is the one that loses taxation revenue.

here here!
36.gif

elle

Shiny_Rock
taman25thc02 - Do call WF and talk to them about your requests and go from there. I highly reccommend asking for Tracy when you first call - she's very efficient, helpful and sweet. Their inventory and workmanship are excellent as is their customer service - Brian, Leon and Vera were all very accommodating and wonderful to deal with. If they have the stone in stock, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to set up an appt for you to view the stone and work on the rest. You only need to show your driver's license to enter the building. It is definitely worth it! Good luck!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2007 7:35:32 AM
Author: Maisiebelle

When I get my ring I won''t be able to pick it up from fedex until I pay the duty on it. BUT even if I wasn''t charged by them I would still contact the IR and pay it. Thats just me, I have one heck of a conscience!
9.gif

Maisie

Do you know if Fedex delivers to customers addresses in the UK or does everyone have to pick it up from them? (I mean if paying the duty by Bank card over phone.)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:34:42 AM
Author: Pyramid

Date: 2/6/2007 7:35:32 AM

When I get my ring I won''t be able to pick it up from fedex until I pay the duty on it. BUT even if I wasn''t charged by them I would still contact the IR and pay it. Thats just me, I have one heck of a conscience!
9.gif

Maisie

Do you know if Fedex delivers to customers addresses in the UK or does everyone have to pick it up from them? (I mean if paying the duty by Bank card over phone.)
I''m pretty sure they deliver to your door. I am hoping they do as I don''t live within driving distance of a Fedex Depot. I think if WF is paying to send the parcel to my address, Fedex will bring it.

Do you know when you are getting your ring? Is it soon?

Maisie

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie

I am hopefully getting it after September but before Xmas. I notice from your posts that you are getting yours fairly soon. I am already married so it is not an engagement. The reason I was asking was because I looked up the Fedex site and the nearest pick up place to me was more than 2 hours away - I am in Scotland. Would think you are correct if the vendor is sending to our addresses, maybe someone from the UK who has bought already will know.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:00:40 AM
Author: Pyramid
Maisie

I am hopefully getting it after September but before Xmas. I notice from your posts that you are getting yours fairly soon. I am already married so it is not an engagement. The reason I was asking was because I looked up the Fedex site and the nearest pick up place to me was more than 2 hours away - I am in Scotland. Would think you are correct if the vendor is sending to our addresses, maybe someone from the UK who has bought already will know.
I will ask WF - probably best to know in advance. I am in Newcastle so not that far away from bonny Scotland
9.gif

I am married too - when we got engaged I got a .25 diamond so its time to upgrade!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:54:37 AM
I''m pretty sure they deliver to your door. I am hoping they do as I don''t live within driving distance of a Fedex Depot. I think if WF is paying to send the parcel to my address, Fedex will bring it.

Maisie
Maise, be sure and check about this. I asked if they could deliver to my house, as the closest pick up station is a half hour away, but they couldn''t.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:49:28 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/7/2007 5:54:37 AM

Maisie
Maise, be sure and check about this. I asked if they could deliver to my house, as the closest pick up station is a half hour away, but they couldn''t.
I will Ellen. My problem is that I am approximately a 3 hour drive from the nearest Fedex depot. I hope I don''t have to rethink using WF
7.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 8:53:55 AM

I will Ellen. My problem is that I am approximately a 3 hour drive from the nearest Fedex depot. I hope I don''t have to rethink using WF
7.gif
Aw, I hope they can make an acception. If not, I''d still make the drive, it would be worth it, but a major hassle I know.

That is the only thing I don''t like about WF.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 9:01:53 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/7/2007 8:53:55 AM

7.gif
Aw, I hope they can make an acception. If not, I''d still make the drive, it would be worth it, but a major hassle I know.

That is the only thing I don''t like about WF.
Actually I would make the drive! I really want to use WF. There is a big Zoo in Edinburgh so I could just make a day out of it. The kids would love to go
21.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 9:03:23 AM

Actually I would make the drive! I really want to use WF. There is a big Zoo in Edinburgh so I could just make a day out of it. The kids would love to go
21.gif
There ya go.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always seem to find a good thing out of a difficult situation!!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 9:07:36 AM
I always seem to find a good thing out of a difficult situation!!
36.gif
That''s a real gift Maise!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results