shape
carat
color
clarity

Having buyer's remorse after shane co purchase.....

dcun201

Rough_Rock
Hello I am new here, after reading a few post around here I am thinking I can get more for what i paid for at shane co. So my significant other and I went to Shane Co, last weekend to look at several engagement settings and she fell in love with this double halo wedding set.
http://shaneco.com/detail/double-halo-wedding-set-with-round-diamond-accent/41071647.

My price range was around $15k for everything so the salesperson brought out a few choices. We ended up with a 1.6ct SI , I color diamond for $10,020.00 plus $3395.00 for the band. The diamond is not certified so I have no idea if the price is good or not. She wants the rock to sparkle and big lol. As close to 2 ct as possible.

Would you guys recommend me to return the Shane Co ring and find elsewhere? She is very set on that setting though.

Thanks again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, you can get a better deal online. Do not buy an uncertified stone. The warranty is worthless as well. Just return the thing and start over. We can find the same or a similar setting. Cushion shaped double halo split shank. Not hard to find.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1451287399|3967197 said:
Yes, you can get a better deal online. Do not buy an uncertified stone. The warranty is worthless as well. Just return the thing and start over. We can find the same or a similar setting. Cushion shaped double halo split shank. Not hard to find.

^^^ What Gypsy said. Run, don't walk, back to Shane.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What you should be buying instead.

If you want a setting already made then:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/simon-g-mr2459-passion-diamond-engagement-ring-3446.htm

Personally I'd work with Whiteflash, David Klass, or Brilliantly Engaged on a custom double halo setting similar to that one. It will be much better quality than that Shane Co stone. And 4k is a good budget for a nice quality version of it.

That leaves 11k for the stone. And I'd recommend you get one of these:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.56-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-720223
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.55-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-762226

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To say that you got ripped off for that uncertified sotne is a MASSIVE understatement. They charged you the same price as a RETAIL GIA certified stone.

What a scam!

dcun201

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies! Will do and start over.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dcun201|1451288886|3967205 said:

Just to make it clear how badly they screwed you over, please look at this stone:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7812645-1.62-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity.aspx I color Vs2 clarity. Heavier weight. Well cut. GIA certified and it costs $9,319.76 which is $600 LESS than they ripped you off for.

So, don't believe any of their BS. They had a chance to deal with you honestly, and they decided to rip you off instead. Don't listen to their horror stories about buying online. Just run away. We'll help you find a beauty of a stone (actually the one I just linked to is a really lovely one. PUT ON HOLD IMMEDIATELY and return to Jared tomorrow). Hold is no cost no obligation.

Once you get the stone, we'll work on the setting (don't buy a B2C setting. You have the budget for a lovely setting from one of our best CAD designers that will knock her socks off).

dcun201

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1451289212|3967206 said:
dcun201|1451288886|3967205 said:

Just to make it clear how badly they screwed you over, please look at this stone:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7812645-1.62-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity.aspx I color Vs2 clarity. Heavier weight. Well cut. GIA certified and it costs $9,319.76 which is $600 LESS than they ripped you off for.

So, don't believe any of their BS. They had a chance to deal with you honestly, and they decided to rip you off instead. Don't listen to their horror stories about buying online. Just run away. We'll help you find a beauty of a stone (actually the one I just linked to is a really lovely one. PUT ON HOLD IMMEDIATELY and return to Jared tomorrow). Hold is no cost no obligation.

Once you get the stone, we'll work on the setting (don't buy a B2C setting. You have the budget for a lovely setting from one of our best CAD designers that will knock her socks off).

Oh I would love that haha. Will give Shane Co a call tomorrow. I only put half of a deposit down so I haven't actually fully paid and pick up the ring yet. WIll going to 1.7ct be a big price hike? I know that would blow her socks off for sure.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a giant double halo setting like that a 10 point difference in the center stone is going to make little difference. Get the 1.62 B2C and use rest of budget for nicest double halo you can get to blow her away.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can look for a 1.7 for you. You may need to bump budget up to 16 total though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so. Slim pickings right now in that range.

On the 1st JA will start up the Idealscope images again. This one is a risky one to buy by the numbers alone, but I feel it could bear out well with an IS, but that I can't recommend you buy without one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.70-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-727843 So on Friday you can ask them for an IS.

It's the most budget friendly option for you at 1.7 carats and eyeclean that I could find across 6 sites.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the meantime call up Brilliantly Engaged and Whiteflash, and David Klass and get quotes on a " custom CAD and CAST cushion shaped double halo engagement ring, with a double shank, similar to the one in the image attached, but more refined for a round 7.6mm center stone"
Ask for quotes in platinum. As that is the best metal for pave.

That's what you need to ask for, just like that. And send the picture.

About the stones again.

Here is the one I recommend:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7812645-1.62-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity.aspx it is about 7.6mm.
Here is the 1.7 (if it passes with a good idealscope)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.70-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-727843 it is 7.7mm

That's NOT an eyevisible difference. Particularly in a halo. I REALLY recommend that you get the 1.62 stone. It is a GORGEOUS stone, with a solid ASET that shows excellent light performance. And it saves you a good bit of money.

I REALLY do not think going up to 1.7 is anything but a waste of money. That 1.62 stone is a gorgeous find for your budget. And it is a great size. Especially given the giant halo setting.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1451299439|3967238 said:
Okay so. Slim pickings right now in that range.

On the 1st JA will start up the Idealscope images again. This one is a risky one to buy by the numbers alone, but I feel it could bear out well with an IS, but that I can't recommend you buy without one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.70-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-727843 So on Friday you can ask them for an IS.

It's the most budget friendly option for you at 1.7 carats and eyeclean that I could find across 6 sites.

1.7 thats not nice do not buy - but the 1.62 I like

spon88

Rough_Rock
That 1.62 does look nice at that budget - HCA 1.2. Nice find.

dcun201

Rough_Rock
Ok you guys are the expert 1.62 it is. Thanks again. So do I just call in and tell them to put that diamond on hold for me? Is that how the process works?

spon88

Rough_Rock
I've not dealt with them directly but most vendors will put a stone on hold for you without obligation whilst you make a final decision. So you should be able to call in and have them do that for you. Just to add, when a good stone is identified here, others "lurking" will tend to drop on it - so try to act quickly if you think it's the one for you....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi dcun -

I did a scan through the Blue Nile data base and the B2C diamond is really well priced. I did find one very promising stone - it's an H SI1, 1.64ct - but diameter-wise it's almost exactly the same. It has a smaller table, which I prefer, but it's also a thousand dollars more expensive. So I would say, on balance, the B2C diamond is the way to go; it's a lovely stone!

And any one of the jeweler recommendations will get you a far better setting than you found from Shane & Co.

As for purchasing the diamond - call them and see if they'll hold the stone for you. You will probably need to leave at least a deposit. Alternately, they might want you to pay for the whole diamond up front if they're going to hold it for you, so either way you need to cancel your existing order as fast as you can! But in the meantime...call B2C Jewels - now!

And good luck! This is going to give you a far nicer ring, and you'll DEFINITELY see the difference!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Another longtime PSer here to tell you... LISTEN TO GYPSY! Definitely do not finalize the Shane Co. purchase and get the diamond/ring designed by a recommended vendor here. We've no "skin in the game" so to speak, since we aren't making any money by helping you. Good luck! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dcun201

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the helpful replies so far. Gypsy been wonderful in guiding me through the process. Will call them on my lunch break hopefully everything will go as plan. I can't thank you guys enough.

Q

Queenie60

dcun201|1451318574|3967321 said:
Thank you for all the helpful replies so far. Gypsy been wonderful in guiding me through the process. Will call them on my lunch break hopefully everything will go as plan. I can't thank you guys enough.

Glad you're listening to Gypsy. She's the greatest! Good luck with your purchase.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1451317971|3967316 said:
dcun201|1451289714|3967207 said:
Sigh.. I am so grateful you guys are around. I was browsing Whiteflash loose diamond inventory and stumbled onto this diamond http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137127.htm. Is that a good one? My significant other don't really mind minor blemish if she can not see it with her naked eye. She willing to compromise that to go bigger. :eh:

Yes, great stone! It says it is eyeclean.

This would be my choice too, especially if you work with WF for the setting. This way you don't take any risk if the stone is damaged in setting. And that stone is TDF! :love: :love: :love:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
dcun201|1451318574|3967321 said:

Yes, call them asap to start the return/refund process. Also, put a hold on that other stone too. Gypsy is right, there are definitely lurkers who will grab a stone out from under you. :angryfire: Let us know what happens with the return to Shane co. Good luck! :wavey:

dcun201

Rough_Rock
Just called them and that diamond vendor does not have a holding policy. I have to buy it outright. Now would you guys recommend using credit card or bank wire to save a few bucks? I would think credit card is safer?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dcun201|1451328868|3967430 said:
Just called them and that diamond vendor does not have a holding policy. I have to buy it outright. Now would you guys recommend using credit card or bank wire to save a few bucks? I would think credit card is safer?

I always prefer a credit card for safety, not worth saving 2% IMO.

dcun201

Rough_Rock
Yeah I totally agree saving a few bucks not worth it over safety. Well Shane co ring is cancelled. Going to order that b2b diamond.

dcun201

Rough_Rock
Diamond order been placed from b2c. =] Is there a edit button where I can edit my own post?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The edit button shows for a temporary time period after you post and then it disappears.

I always pay by wire to known PS vendors, but it sounds like you already paid.

dcun201

Rough_Rock
My credit card put the charge on security hold :wall: ... Maybe I'll do bank wire if its pretty safe as long as vendor is legit. 3% discount.

Credit card company making me wait 24-48hrs for a review team to approve my charge. Wtf..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results