shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you switched from a diamond to a gemstone with diamonds?

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Meaning, have you ever traded in a diamond ring for a gemstone ring because your tastes changed? Here is the scoop, I have a really beautiful 5 stone diamond ring that I've worn for years and recently saw a glorious blue sapphire oval surrounded by a halo of diamonds. Just beautiful and total bling factor- just different from the look of all diamonds. It's thrown me for a loop as I never saw myself as a sapphire girl but I haven't been able to get that ring out of my head.

Has anyone made a move from all diamond to say sapphire with diamonds or ruby or emerald with diamonds and if so, any regrets? I wish I could have both but that's not realistic.

Thanks for weighing in.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I trade my diamonds and CS rings in and out on a regular basis. Honestly I'd sooner give up white diamonds than my colored gems. (Colored diamonds are a different story...)

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
I did. Started with a traditional RB solitaire. Saw a lovely garnet ring with diamond side stones a few years later. Could not get it out of my mind. Bought it and wore it instead of my original ring for 20+ years. Still love it, but found PS and decided that I really "needed" an antique cushion diamond. So I'm now back to a solitaire but one that is very different from my original.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am more of a colored stone girl, but I switch up the colors on a daily basis. That is part of the fun for me. I say, go for it! The ring you’re describing would be a perfect daily wear classic!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I trade my diamonds and CS rings in and out on a regular basis. Honestly I'd sooner give up white diamonds than my colored gems. (Colored diamonds are a different story...)

Hi @MakingTheGrade - appreciate your weighing in! It sounds like you are saying that you have both diamond only and CS rings and change them up often. Would you give up your one diamond ring for a CS (a magnificent one) ? I think my jeweler may try to talk me out of it because of the value of the diamonds so am just trying to get another voice in my head as a sanity check.

I did. Started with a traditional RB solitaire. Saw a lovely garnet ring with diamond side stones a few years later. Could not get it out of my mind. Bought it and wore it instead of my original ring for 20+ years. Still love it, but found PS and decided that I really "needed" an antique cushion diamond. So I'm now back to a solitaire but one that is very different from my original.

Hi @Miss Marple! What is it about the antique cushion that changed your mind? I love that you are going with what speaks to you and how that's changed over time.

I am more of a colored stone girl, but I switch up the colors on a daily basis. That is part of the fun for me. I say, go for it! The ring you’re describing would be a perfect daily wear classic!

Hi @MissyBeaucoup ! I think it would be classic for sure. It sounds weird but when I purchased my wedding gown I tried on maybe 5 dresses and went with the first because it was the most practical (and was lovely) but I didn't have that "say yes to the dress" omg that's my dress moment. Same feeling when I got the 5 stone ring I have - it just felt good on my hand. But this ring- I remember putting it on and having that feeling of - wow. Now this is something. Still, I don't want to have any regrets.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
That's a tough call! Would you be satisfied with a smaller sapphire (while keeping the diamond ring)? It really just depends on what you like. Five stones are pretty blingy, esp if its an all diamond 5 stone, and have great hand coverage. I don't know what this sapphire looks like, so it may be enough, but it may not be. I do love a good halo and think that a well done halo makes just about any stone pop. I just got a SK halo and find myself looking at every other gem and ring I own wanting to mail them all to SK for halo's, haha :lol-2:. Its a bit of a sparkle vs. color sitch. What are *you* more mesmerized by? The other thing I love about CS's is that its all mine, and I'm the only-ish one that has something just like that stone, set the way I've set it. That's a little harder to accomplish in the diamond world. I wouldn't care at all if I saw someone with the same exact CS and setting that I have on my finger, but I like that if it did happen, I'd actually find to be a very fun surprise because it would be just one or two folks that have something just like mine and not thousands.

I actually did the opposite, started CS and then moved into diamonds (even though one of my diamonds is a fancy gray, can't get away from my love of color!), but my main squeeze will always be colored stones. I haven't really sold any diamonds because I'm kinda chicken about the resale market/worry I wouldn't get much back anything, but others do it all the time with eaze. I usually wind up just keeping things if I can, but perhaps that's just the inertia of laziness. :P2

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to start by saying forget about the resale value. Most of us will never get back what we put into a ring. Focus on what you will love and want to wear forever instead. :D Plus, a good blue sapphire can cost just as much as a diamond.

I’m one of those people that gave up her diamond for a CS ring. I started with a very small, inexpensive, diamond ring (which I still have due to sentimental value...but never wear). My DH bought me an upgraded diamond ring years down the line. I loved it but eventually came to realize my heart lies with colored gems. I upgraded again to a sapphire ring with a halo and that began my true love affair with CS rings. I have quite a few of them now, to be honest, and I switch them up all the time. I still love diamonds. They come with there own brand of sparkle but nothing beats out a brightly colored gem wrapped in a sparkly diamond halo! :love: I feel like CS rings are more special in the real world. I very rarely encounter someone with a CS ring (it’s usually a diamond) and that makes me feel like a pop of color in a drab world. :mrgreen2:

Edited to add a pic of one of my favorite spinel rings.
2154AEEB-E764-4BA2-9A26-FFA0DA51A661.jpeg

4CC12CE7-E265-4157-A1E3-1A5132F2B8A3.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the sapphire halo ring that has captured your heart? https://www.diamondbistro.com/categ...natural-blue-sapphire-diamond-Diana-ring.html

If so- that ring is a bargain and if I was in the market I would snatch that up in a heartbeat. To answer your question, if I could only have one ring it would be a diamond ring because even sapphires and rubies will obtain chips and scratches far easier than diamonds. With that said.........I can find a nice 5 stone diamond band on the resale market that is not expensive if I take my time. So in your situation unless the 5 stone band has the best quality diamonds I might buy the sapphire halo ring and replace the 5 stone band in time.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the sapphire halo ring that has captured your heart? https://www.diamondbistro.com/categ...natural-blue-sapphire-diamond-Diana-ring.html

If so- that ring is a bargain and if I was in the market I would snatch that up in a heartbeat. To answer your question, if I could only have one ring it would be a diamond ring because even sapphires and rubies will obtain chips and scratches far easier than diamonds. With that said.........I can find a nice 5 stone diamond band on the resale market that is not expensive if I take my time. So in your situation unless the 5 stone band has the best quality diamonds I might buy the sapphire halo ring and replace the 5 stone band in time.

No, but that is nice! The one I am looking at is very similar to the picture below.

spark.jpg

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I want to start by saying forget about the resale value. Most of us will never get back what we put into a ring. Focus on what you will love and want to wear forever instead. :D Plus, a good blue sapphire can cost just as much as a diamond.

I’m one of those people that gave up her diamond for a CS ring. I started with a very small, inexpensive, diamond ring (which I still have due to sentimental value...but never wear). My DH bought me an upgraded diamond ring years down the line. I loved it but eventually came to realize my heart lies with colored gems. I upgraded again to a sapphire ring with a halo and that began my true love affair with CS rings. I have quite a few of them now, to be honest, and I switch them up all the time. I still love diamonds. They come with there own brand of sparkle but nothing beats out a brightly colored gem wrapped in a sparkly diamond halo! :love: I feel like CS rings are more special in the real world. I very rarely encounter someone with a CS ring (it’s usually a diamond) and that makes me feel like a pop of color in a drab world. :mrgreen2:

Your spinel is beautiful @elle_71125 . May I ask who made it?

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
@Indylady if only I could swing both rings, I would in a heartbeat. My jeweler has offered me a really good trade in value on my current ring so I don't have to sell anything. The risk as I see it now is regret. I don't want a regret.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Is there a cert on a sapphire? Do you know if it has any treatments?

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Those are really good questions @Indylady . I'm going to go to my jeweler this week and ask. Aside from those questions, what else should I be asking?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Squee!!! Me!!! Apologies IMG_6231.PNG for the picture spam....different lighting to show you. IMG_5964.jpg IMG_5893.PNG IMG_5828.jpg Most women have diamonds and I wanted something extraordinary - and fell in love with this baby shown in my profile pic. I LOVE that it is different and not mainstream. I get tons of compliments on her! IMG_5699.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@facetgirl I can see why you are attracted to the sapphire ring and want to ask you if you have a loupe? After the jeweler has verified that the sapphire is natural and any treatments you need to look at the ring under a loupe. See if there is any significant inclusions, chips or wear on the sapphire and also the quality of the diamonds.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@facetgirl ask if there's a cert (such as GIA). An appraisal isn't a cert. Heated is fine as it brings out the color and is less expensive. Unheated is pricier and desired more by some (mine is unheated). When I was searching, I had people tell me, "oh it's natural sapphire" - sure, ok, well is it filled with anything? Ask if there are any surface reaching inclusions. I'm a novice but these are things I learned from PS. What's your budget? The lady I bought mine from, who gives a money back guarantee on her jewels, has 2 similar to mine for sale. Both are unheated with halo settings. One is 5.14ct sapphire in 18K for $7885 and another 5.39ct for $11985.

Last edited:

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IMG_7325.JPG IMG_7324.jpg These are horrible screen shots I took with my phone from my computer because I can't seem to save the photo directly - but the one on the left is 5.14 ct $7885, unheated 18K and the one on the right is 5.39 unheated $11985. If you're interested let me know and I'll share with you her shop information. Terrible that I'm hesitant to advertise for her because I stalk all of her stuff! GIA certs on both of those^

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Your ring is gorgeous!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve definitely sold off diamond rings to buy colored stones. But I’ve always had some piece of diamond focused jewelery.

That said, I’d sell my diamond rings in a heart beat to get my holy grail set of emerald, ruby, sapphire rings.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am more of a colored stone girl, but I switch up the colors on a daily basis. That is part of the fun for me.

Same here...however, I think I would get bored just owning on CS ring for the same reason. I often think that when I retire, I might give it all up for a nice big diamond that goes with everything.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
C7392F0D-99C0-4AF7-9FD0-2A4C1F45E24E.jpeg 3229232B-5638-4165-9C3F-1507B226AEC7.jpeg
I switch mine up having said that I have really fallen in love with cs lately and at the moment would keep my Cs one. However it might be because the halo was built with diamonds from my wedding band which was badly made and the sapphire I got while on a mother daughter trip to Sri Lanka so it is special.
31A222DA-68BB-495E-B76B-EC9EF1AE28F0.jpeg

Sorry the pics are not great at my desk in poor light and it needs a good clean

Attachments

• 4F9297A8-DCBD-4485-9DD0-5EF5C22F64DB.jpeg
    4F9297A8-DCBD-4485-9DD0-5EF5C22F64DB.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 13
  • EB4B897A-C765-415E-BA8F-D531C8AFE29D.jpeg
    EB4B897A-C765-415E-BA8F-D531C8AFE29D.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 10

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies!

@lmyracle your ring is beautiful! Those diamonds are divine alongside your sapphire. I would need to sell my diamond ring to get the funds and since my jeweler offers such a grade trade in, I will need to go that route if I were to do this. Beautiful options though! Your info is super helpful and I'll be sure to look into the questions you suggest.

@LisaRN I just remembered I do have a loupe and will bring it with me when I go. Great suggestion on that front and to check out the quality of the diamonds as well - thank you.

@Indylady - unsure about the cert but I will heed your advise and ask. I won't move forward without a certed stone.

@MakingTheGrade - this helps me! This is going to sound crazy but I don't know what my holy grail is. Never even thought about it. I've had a solitaire, a 3 stone, an eternity and now the 5 stone and I feel like I am chasing something that a diamond alone can't offer. I was totally shocked when I put on the the sapphire because it seemed to be saying- where have you been? LOL.

@lilmosun - awhile back I almost made my 5 stone into an eternity with alternating rubies. My jeweler suggested I think about it more as I may get bored with rubies and want an all diamond look. I ruled out the eternity for comfort but I completely get what you are saying. There was something about this ring though - maybe the quality of the sapphire - that made me appreciate the beauty of a CS differently. There was a fire inside of it of sorts that was mesmerizing- not the flashing I get from my diamond ring- something that just drew me into the stone.

@elle_71125 - thank you for this- DK definitely does beautiful work and your ring is just spectacular. I'll look to see if you have a thread on it - its exactly what I'm talking about- the kind of ring you could look at all day long :)

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
@Pennyc I love that you used your diamonds! One option I didn't consider is to have my jeweler make a ring for me using the diamonds from my 5 stone (although that may make the proportions be off - your proportions are perfect).

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@facetgirl thank you my diamonds were smallish ones so no point in selling them and it made it more special that my 12 year old and I chose the centre stone together.

I had no idea what I was doing when I chose the centre stone I just fell in love with it I seem to have a thing for pears

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Miss Marple! What is it about the antique cushion that changed your mind? I love that you are going with what speaks to you and how that's changed over time.

PS changed my mind. lol!:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: I didn't realize there was a whole world of antique diamonds until I found PS. I love the large flashes, the chameleon nature of the lower color (I have an M), the idea that it was hand cut -- probably without electric lights, and has a history. In any case, I stare at this new ring all the time and enjoy the many rainbow flashes.

I still love the garnet and wear it as a RHR on occasion. that ring has garnered a lot of compliments over the years. Most people saw a red stone and assumed it was a ruby. Even after finding PS, I can say that the overall composition of the ring is very nice. The workmanship may not be quite up to the high PS standards and the garnet is native cut and a bit dark by trade standards (as far as I can tell as a newbie), but i really like the dark red color and the ring was still well made and solid. It is also a semi-bezel and sits very low, so is very comfortable. The proportions of the ring work well together and It is also just a good size for my hand.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s something about the actual rarity of a high quality colored stone that I think also makes it feel special.

If you unset my ACA diamonds and mixed them in with a bunch of super ideals within one color grade and similar weight, I doubt I could tell which ones were mine by eye. Truth is that diamonds, even super ideal ones, have much more availability than “ideal” color colored stones.

I am confident that I could pick out any of my colored stone babies from any line up though. And that probably makes me feel more attached to them. If I lost my diamond jewelry I’d be sad and it would cost me more to replace, but I feel confident I could replace them to similar standards in relatively short time. If I lost my pad sapphire and tsav ring? I’m royally boned trying to recreate it :/

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't decided what to do but I did go back and take a few pictures of the ring. I'm told Spark Creations includes only the best graded gemstones in their jewelry- although I have to confirm if this stone is certified. Anyway, wanted to share and see what y'all think. (Just look past my wrinkly hand!)

2019-01-15_19-49-14.jpg IMG_20190112_135833.jpg

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would definitely want to see a lab report prior to purchasing. It looks very beautiful on your hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results