shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ladies tried Diflucan and is it safe (a bit TMI)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the risk of sharing TMI, I''ve been suffering from err...you-know-what these past few weeks. It''s so damn itchy, though I don''t really have any other obvious symptoms. My Dr prescribed Gyno-Trosyd (100mg 3 pessaries in each dose) and I''ve gone through 2 courses already, but it doesn''t seem to have worked. The strange thing is this damn thing came all of a sudden. All I can think of is that I used the guest towel (though I thoroughly washed it in 40 degree C and soaked in Dettol after they''d used it). I really should have washed it in 90 degree C instead. It''s really stupid of me, because I normally separate the guest towels from ours and don''t touch anyone else''s towels, not even in the gym or in hotels.

Since the pessaries don''t work, my Dr gave me a single-dose Diflucan. I''ve looked it up the internet and saw alll kinds of horrible side effects, one of which is difficulty breathing/ swelling of the throat etc. I''ve had this adverse effect with Stilnox/Ambien before which I''ve now stopped taking.

So, I was wondering if you''ve taken Diflucan and have you suffered any adverse side effects? If you don''t recommend it, is there anything you''d recommend either as an oral medicine or another kind of pessary (which I''d prefer to oral medication).

Thank you.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Single dose. Worked like a charm. No side effects.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 6:46:33 AM
Author: JulieN
Thanks, Julie. I really appreciate you letting me know.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. I''ve taken 2 doses before for really erm... persistant issues and had no problems either.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve taken D-can many times with no issues. In fact, I wish it were OTC, because it works SO much better than the creams.

Did your Doc actually test to confirm it was a YI? BV has similar symptoms and wont resolve with YI treatments.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have used it before, more than a few times. (My body is very sensitive, so it''s just about every time I use antibiotics that I end up needing diflucan.) It''s safe, and it works pretty well.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 8:37:17 AM
Author: geckodani

Ditto. I''ve taken 2 doses before for really erm... persistant issues and had no problems either.
Thank you, Geckodani. It''s really great and reassuring to know that.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 8:57:23 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I''ve taken D-can many times with no issues. In fact, I wish it were OTC, because it works SO much better than the creams.

Did your Doc actually test to confirm it was a YI? BV has similar symptoms and wont resolve with YI treatments.
Thanks, HH. Well, the Dr did an internal examination and told me that it was. She pulled out the "thingy" and ermm...there was a some thick white ermmm...discharge on the end (can I see that on this forum?).

Just in case, how did BV (what is "BV" btw?) resolve the problem?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 10:11:20 AM
Author: Tuckins1
Yes, I have used it before, more than a few times. (My body is very sensitive, so it''s just about every time I use antibiotics that I end up needing diflucan.) It''s safe, and it works pretty well.
Thanks, Tuckins. Another vote of confidence. I think I''m going to take it now. My body too is very sensitive. I try not to take antibiotics (as I am sure you don''t either) as I also develop YI each time that I take them.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 10:30:11 AM
Author: Phoenix

Thanks, HH. Well, the Dr did an internal examination and told me that it was. She pulled out the ''thingy'' and ermm...there was a some thick white ermmm...discharge on the end (can I see that on this forum?).

Just in case, how did BV (what is ''BV'' btw?) resolve the problem?

BV=Bacterial Vaginosis

LOL it doesn''t help, it''s just another type of infection.

BTW, Diflucan isn''t an antibiotic, it''s an antifungal. Yeast is actually a fungus. That''s why YI treatments won''t take care of something like BV. BV is bacterial YI is fungal.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to chime in- I am apparently a high yeast career, whatever that means, and this drug has been a life saver!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Ditto

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 11:41:11 AM

Date: 3/22/2009 10:30:11 AM

Thanks, HH. Well, the Dr did an internal examination and told me that it was. She pulled out the ''thingy'' and ermm...there was a some thick white ermmm...discharge on the end (can I see that on this forum?).

Just in case, how did BV (what is ''BV'' btw?) resolve the problem?

BV=Bacterial Vaginosis

LOL it doesn''t help, it''s just another type of infection.

BTW, Diflucan isn''t an antibiotic, it''s an antifungal. Yeast is actually a fungus. That''s why YI treatments won''t take care of something like BV. BV is bacterial YI is fungal.
I can be really "duh" sometimes, LOL!

Thank you for that, HH. I think I have a YI. There''s really no other symptom apart from the itchiness.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 12:31:37 PM
Author: sba771
Just wanted to chime in- I am apparently a high yeast career, whatever that means, and this drug has been a life saver!!
Thanks so much for chiming in. I took the tablet already. Will let you gals know tomorrow if it''s worked. I really hope, fingers crossed!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 12:32:00 PM
Author: Gailey

Ditto
Thank you, Gailey. Appreciate your input.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I luckily haven''t had too many YI''s in my lifetime, but whenever I tried the OTC crap, it seemed to make it worse! I had to see my Dr over it, as the itch was unbearable, and one dose of Diflucan worked magic! I agree to whoever said it should be OTC; that would be great!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not personally taken it, but I am a nurse and have administered it to patients without difficulties. I hope that you feel better!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/22/2009 12:59:17 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I luckily haven''t had too many YI''s in my lifetime, but whenever I tried the OTC crap, it seemed to make it worse! I had to see my Dr over it, as the itch was unbearable, and one dose of Diflucan worked magic! I agree to whoever said it should be OTC; that would be great!!

I agree, my sis has this problem quite often (luckily I have never...knock on wood) and it is such a hassle to wait for a dr''s clinic to be open to get the prescription (we live in a small town, so on Saturday''s after 5 there is nothing open until Monday!). I can''t imagine the suffering
32.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
This is the BEST medication to treat the issue. A little pill and you are done.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 6:03:26 AM
Author:Phoenix
At the risk of sharing TMI, I''ve been suffering from err...you-know-what these past few weeks. It''s so damn itchy, though I don''t really have any other obvious symptoms. My Dr prescribed Gyno-Trosyd (100mg 3 pessaries in each dose) and I''ve gone through 2 courses already, but it doesn''t seem to have worked. The strange thing is this damn thing came all of a sudden. All I can think of is that I used the guest towel (though I thoroughly washed it in 40 degree C and soaked in Dettol after they''d used it). I really should have washed it in 90 degree C instead. It''s really stupid of me, because I normally separate the guest towels from ours and don''t touch anyone else''s towels, not even in the gym or in hotels.

Since the pessaries don''t work, my Dr gave me a single-dose Diflucan. I''ve looked it up the internet and saw alll kinds of horrible side effects, one of which is difficulty breathing/ swelling of the throat etc. I''ve had this adverse effect with Stilnox/Ambien before which I''ve now stopped taking.

So, I was wondering if you''ve taken Diflucan and have you suffered any adverse side effects? If you don''t recommend it, is there anything you''d recommend either as an oral medicine or another kind of pessary (which I''d prefer to oral medication).

Thank you.

As someone who has taken Diflucan for years, I can tell you that the first few times you take it, it will work like a charm and lightening fast. If you''re a person who is sensitive to any medication, the 150 mg dose or even the 100 mg dose might (just might) make you feel tired, flu-y and a little loopy. It did that to me, but my medical history is complicated.

If you follow it up with a good acidophilus chaser, you''ll be doing yourself an even bigger favor.
If you have a health food store near by, look for Natren products. I''ve been taking their acidophilus every day for years and it helps to keep the "bug" away.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Diflucan-It''s good stuff.

But really, better to avoid yi''s in the first place. What helped me was to watch my sugar intake (I cut it out, basically) and eat less starchy things. Yeast loves sugar and anything the body makes into sugar quickly.

A friend of mine swears by Thomas brand English muffins when she has an attack. Funny, but eating them does seem to help...Maybe it''s the roughage??

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Good points Julia. Adding yogurt to your diet can also help prevent infections.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of the best ways you can get ride of a YI is by using Boric Acid, but NOT used orally. In fact, it should NOT be ingested. It's a powder and you fill half a 00 capsule and insert it up. You need to keep the capsule open rather than seal it or it won't disolve. (I cannot believe I'm posting this here online!) lol The Boric Acid adjusts the PH back to the state it should be in there (just as acidophilus does) and if you use it for 14 days straight and then a couple times a week from then on out, you'll never have yeast problems again!

The powdered Boric Acid is sold at Pharmacies.
The capsules are sold at healthfood stores.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Diflucan seems to be the only thing that works for me, now. When I first started getting YI''s, things like Monistat, Canesten, and even home therapies like garlic and vinegar used to work fine, but now they don''t. I don''t know if I''ve developed some kind of super-resistant strain of YI. Now Diflucan is the only thing that helps to clear them up. I think it''s safe, as long as you don''t take it while TTC or while pregnant.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 1:41:29 PM
Author: Sha
Diflucan seems to be the only thing that works for me, now. When I first started getting YI''s, things like Monistat, Canesten, and even home therapies like garlic and vinegar used to work fine, but now they don''t. I don''t know if I''ve developed some kind of super-resistant strain of YI. Now Diflucan is the only thing that helps to clear them up. I think it''s safe, as long as you don''t take it while TTC or while pregnant.
Yeast becomes immune to anti-fungals if you use them too much. That is why there are many different kinds on the market, because once the immunity happens, you have to move on to the next product.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 2:20:52 PM
Author: MC
Date: 3/23/2009 1:41:29 PM

Author: Sha

Yeast becomes immune to anti-fungals if you use them too much. That is why there are many different kinds on the market, because once the immunity happens, you have to move on to the next product.

Wow, I had no idea! LOL you''ve stumped a know-it-all! This would explain why it took 3 treatments of Monistat to clear up my last ''ahem'' problem.

My frustration is over the fact that my Doc refuses to take my word for it when I say I have a YI and would like D-can. She always insists on me coming into the office for a swab, copay, and additional charges that ins won''t cover. Thank god I have a new Primary Care doc. This last one really sucked, she was only in it for the money and I always felt like she was trying to nickel and dime me.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 12:15:36 PM
Author: MC
One of the best ways you can get ride of a YI is by using Boric Acid, but NOT used orally. In fact, it should NOT be ingested. It''s a powder and you fill half a 00 capsule and insert it up. You need to keep the capsule open rather than seal it or it won''t disolve. (I cannot believe I''m posting this here online!) lol The Boric Acid adjusts the PH back to the state it should be in there (just as acidophilus does) and if you use it for 14 days straight and then a couple times a week from then on out, you''ll never have yeast problems again!

The powdered Boric Acid is sold at Pharmacies.
The capsules are sold at healthfood stores.
Thanks so much, MC. That''s really good to know. As you know, you''ve practically saved my life with the thyroid thing, so I''m sure you''re right about this too. I must admit though I''d never heard about this. I will ask my local pharmacy to see if they sell it there and if they don''t know what I''m talking about (there''s a good chance of this because a lot of treatments and medicines available in the US and Europe are not available here) then I will ask my Dr.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you also, everyone, for all your help. I took the tablet and everything seems to be okie now!
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a relief that you are feeling better!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 4:03:12 AM

Thanks so much, MC. That's really good to know. As you know, you've practically saved my life with the thyroid thing, so I'm sure you're right about this too. I must admit though I'd never heard about this. I will ask my local pharmacy to see if they sell it there and if they don't know what I'm talking about (there's a good chance of this because a lot of treatments and medicines available in the US and Europe are not available here) then I will ask my Dr.
Here's a website that talks about it: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsqtoz/a/yeast_infection.htm

That site says it has a higher cure rate than Diflucan.

The form the pharmacy sells is "powdered Boric Acid." It's really cheap. Under $7.00. Before you try it, you can research a bit more and don't use it if you're very sensitive down there. Also, there is a product called "Yeast Arrest," which is the same thing, but in fancy packaging. It works the same but is very expensive compared to the Boric Acid. Regardless of which of the two of those you use, the capsule has to be opened up first!

ETA - and I'm glad the Diflucan is working for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results