shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever noticed this on IG?

Sparklemore

Shiny_Rock
Hi, just saw this thread! I’m actually the original owner of the ring in question. Had it custom made, but then I found an antique version a few months later that I liked better and decided I could justify the new purchase if I sold the other one, lol! The life of a collector. I did definitely sell it for a loss for a fast sale, although it’s hard to really quantify because the old diamonds I used I had for a long time and were repurposed from an old brooch. I was rather surprised when I saw how much the markup was, although I’m not a dealer so can’t command the types of prices others can. It did make me seriously wonder if I need to take a photography course or something for the things I do sell

Oh and thanks for your kind words!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sparklemore, absolutely loved that ring and I can only imagine how amazing the authentic piece that replaced it is!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, just saw this thread! I’m actually the original owner of the ring in question. Had it custom made, but then I found an antique version a few months later that I liked better and decided I could justify the new purchase if I sold the other one, lol! The life of a collector. I did definitely sell it for a loss for a fast sale, although it’s hard to really quantify because the old diamonds I used I had for a long time and were repurposed from an old brooch. I was rather surprised when I saw how much the markup was, although I’m not a dealer so can’t command the types of prices others can. It did make me seriously wonder if I need to take a photography course or something for the things I do sell

Oh and thanks for your kind words!

I also saw it on IG, you have an AMAZING collection.

M

maru8888777

@Sparklemore I love your collection! Such beautiful pieces! I haven't seen the ring in question, but I imagine it's gorgeous.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get you don’t like seeing how the sausage is made but all antique or estate resellers buy a ring for cheap and then list it for more. What are they supposed to list it for less? It’s a business.
Once I saw a New Yor Jeweler buy a 4K ring on eBay and list it for 15k

I could say “highway robbery!” Or I could say they have overhead costs and rent and are in an expensive neighborhood . Or the risk they take on buying something with limited info. if they think they can get it more power to them.

I don’t resell but I do spend hours of my time trying to find things below market price because that’s the only way i can afford them. That + the thrill. I know the value of what I have and I don’t care if I spent $50 or $5000. If the item is valued for $6000 I’m going to ask $6000

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I get that it’s a business @Niel and granted, it was upsetting that it was priced out of reach. My issue was the jump in price was so significant without any investment on the seller’s behalf. If you are going to claim “unheated Ceylon” then you should have something to back up those claims. If she bought the piece at $2900 and paid for a lab report then that is a different story.

Hey someone bought it and I assume she made a decent profit, so good for her.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I get that it’s a business @Niel and granted, it was upsetting that it was priced out of reach. My issue was the jump in price was so significant without any investment on the seller’s behalf. If you are going to claim “unheated Ceylon” then you should have something to back up those claims. If she bought the piece at $2900 and paid for a lab report then that is a different story.

Hey someone bought it and I assume she made a decent profit, so good for her.

Idk I don’t think anyone owes you affordability.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk I don’t think anyone owes you affordability.

Nope, never said they did. I was just stating my opinion, not everyone is going to agree with it and that’s fine. Last I checked we are free to express our thoughts here right?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, never said they did. I was just stating my opinion, not everyone is going to agree with it and that’s fine. Last I checked we are free to express our thoughts here right?

You are just as I am. If you were hoping to only get people to agree with you maybe you’re confused about how that works.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are just as I am. If you were hoping to only get people to agree with you maybe you’re confused about how that works.

I’m not confused about anything, we can agree to disagree, it’s all good.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn’t going to venture into this thread but I remember an active PSer doing the same thing to me with regard to a gold necklace. The seller told me what they had paid and then was asking 260% higher than that price from me. I passed on it. :roll2: It happens even among ‘friends.’ :shrug:

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slickk, right so let’s recap this since you are referring to me and I have nothing to hide and prefer to be transparent.

When I bought that necklace it was several years prior and the price of gold was far less, gold has a market value, you know that. So when I suggested selling you the necklace it was based on the current gold value that day. You didn’t buy it, someone else did. Fine, I moved on and that was that.

Why would I sell a gold necklace with a verifiable value for less than the market rate? Nobody with any good sense would do that.

Edited because I had typed ambiguous but it’s not the word I was looking for and can’t think of it.

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not just IG but any resale site.

I’m going to keep this vague because I don’t want to make this a targeted post about this seller, I just want to see if anyone else has seen this happen.

A few months ago there was a five stone ring with an “unheated pink sapphire from Ceylon” in the center around a carat and four diamonds pulled from a brooch, total carat weight 2.5 all together. The setting is a reproduction by a well known vendor on PS. It’s a gorgeous ring and sold for $2900.

The IG seller that bought it gave me dibs since I expressed interest when she posted that it would be for sale. She messaged me and said she would be selling it for 7K!! I was so floored and told her there is just no way, way way out of my wheelhouse.

So a potential $4100 profit, the sapphire does not have a cert to verify that it’s unheated or Ceylon :eek2: I just find that price outrageous considering.

Has anyone ever has their eye on a piece and had the same thing happen. Or, have you taken notice of a hefty markup on a piece?

i was watching a bracelet that was ~1700, someone bought it and it popped up on another site for 8k IIRC. not sure if it eventually sold but it disappeared so i assume so. i think a lot of the vintage sellers are just quick to pounce on those good buys.

i didn't buy the bracelet b/c i had no practical use for it but i wish i had!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh wow just seeing the second page of this thread...

yes they have a business to run and will try to maximize their take

yes it's galling when you see it happen with something you were eyeing

both can be true at once, not sure why this is contentious

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a day on PS today apparently lol!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Not just IG but any resale site.

I’m going to keep this vague because I don’t want to make this a targeted post about this seller, I just want to see if anyone else has seen this happen.

A few months ago there was a five stone ring with an “unheated pink sapphire from Ceylon” in the center around a carat and four diamonds pulled from a brooch, total carat weight 2.5 all together. The setting is a reproduction by a well known vendor on PS. It’s a gorgeous ring and sold for $2900.

The IG seller that bought it gave me dibs since I expressed interest when she posted that it would be for sale. She messaged me and said she would be selling it for 7K!! I was so floored and told her there is just no way, way way out of my wheelhouse.

So a potential $4100 profit, the sapphire does not have a cert to verify that it’s unheated or Ceylon :eek2: I just find that price outrageous considering.

Has anyone ever has their eye on a piece and had the same thing happen. Or, have you taken notice of a hefty markup on a piece?

Most PS’ers are educated (or trying to become educated by joining this site) in jewelry more than the typical consumer. I am diligent about research before I make most purchases but especially in jewelry. I have seen this buy and resell at a huge mark-up on IG recently. I actually have stopped following one site because of this.

However, if I didn’t know better I wouldn’t know about the higher price. Someone is just trying to make living I guess. There is the risk of the item not selling, the time and effort to get paid and shipped, etc. I do agree that there is a “mark-up” but 3-4 times what it originally cost feels wrong. Imagine if you were the person that sold the item then saw it being listed for that much more?! I would be so upset that I didn’t ask more.

I look for pre-loved items often and have been lucky to find stacking rings to add to my collection. If I didn’t diligently price check, I could have paid $900 more for my recent purchase of a Ritani platinum eternity band because it wasn’t perfectly round (from wear) and needed to be polished.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@luckygreen317, I think buying antique and vintage to resell has really taken off, there seems to be the demand so why not? It’s always upsetting losing out on something to this, but every single time, something better comes along. So, I’ve just learned to roll with it. However it would really bother me if I bought something at a huge markup that I could have found myself, it would probably lessen the enjoyment of that piece.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slickk, right so let’s recap this since you are referring to me and I have nothing to hide and prefer to be transparent.

When I bought that necklace it was several years prior and the price of gold was far less, gold has a market value, you know that. So when I suggested selling you the necklace it was based on the current gold value that day. You didn’t buy it, someone else did. Fine, I moved on and that was that.

Why would I sell a gold necklace with a verifiable value for less than the market rate? Nobody with any good sense would do that.

Edited because I had typed ambiguous but it’s not the word I was looking for and can’t think of it.

so you’re argument here is that it’s good sense to ask a fair market price for something, even though you previously paid less, and did nothing yourself to increase its value- like say- get a certification?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i was watching a bracelet that was ~1700, someone bought it and it popped up on another site for 8k IIRC. not sure if it eventually sold but it disappeared so i assume so. i think a lot of the vintage sellers are just quick to pounce on those good buys.

i didn't buy the bracelet b/c i had no practical use for it but i wish i had!

is there a practical use for any bracelet ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so you’re argument here is that it’s good sense to ask a fair market price for something, even though you previously paid less, and did nothing yourself to increase its value- like say- get a certification?

Okay, you obviously want to keep this going so let’s do it.

Exactly what certification does a marked (hallmark and gold mark) gold necklace need? All you need to know on gold is the gold content and gram weight, that’s it.

As opposed to a piece of jewelry composed of antique components with a sapphire of unknown origin and treatment (both clearly affect value) diamonds of unknown clarity and color.

You and @Slickk can keep coming for me all you want, you’re trying to compare two very different things. However it if makes either of you feel better to try to paint me as a hypocrite then have at it.

Also my necklace was as claimed and as described but there is no guarantee that the pink sapphire ring was as described, just saying :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, you obviously want to keep this going so let’s do it.

Exactly what certification does a marked (hallmark and gold mark) gold necklace need? All you need to know on gold is the gold content and gram weight, that’s it.

As opposed to a piece of jewelry composed of antique components with a sapphire of unknown origin and treatment (both clearly affect value) diamonds of unknown clarity and color.

You and @Slickk can keep coming for me all you want, you’re trying to compare two very different things. However it if makes either of you feel better to try to paint me as a hypocrite then have at it.

Also my necklace was as claimed and as described but there is no guarantee that the pink sapphire ring was as described, just saying :)

Obviously you’re not getting a certificate for gold- just that’s nearly the exact same situation. The only difference is you were selling, not buying.
Someone paid X for something
Someone felt they could get more for it without doing any additional “work”
You feel you’re somehow owed a lower price or been disrespected by the asking price becuase you got a peek behind the curtain and saw it’s original price. It’s sucks. I’m not sure what you mean by “let’s do this” or I want to “keep going “. But n just pointing out the very obvious similarity and might make you see that while it kinda sucks no one is doing anything wrong. You’re entitled to your feelings and I’m sure sucks to miss out on something you wanted but the seller isn’t doing anything wrong. Not interested in that narrative .

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not coming at you at all. I didn’t even mention you in my OP.
But my point stands. If a friend can and will profit off a resale why shouldn’t a business?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it’s not the same @Niel and I think my post demonstrated that quite clearly.

I do not feel I’m owed anything, do I come across that entitled? Wait don’t answer that, it might hurt my feeling lol!

I did not feel disrespected either, I have moved on.

Maybe we should all move on?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not coming at you at all. I didn’t even mention you in my OP.
But my point stands. If a friend can and will profit off a resale why shouldn’t a business?

Please see what I have written to Niel because I think I have made my point. The fact that you felt the need to post the way you did it absolutely ridiculous. Like we both know what went down so put my name out there, let’s just be honest. I have nothing to hide.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And @Slickk, you didn’t have to mention me, I knew you were referring to me, it’s only fair that everyone else should know too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it’s not the same @Niel and I think my post demonstrated that quite clearly.

I do not feel I’m owed anything, do I come across that entitled? Wait don’t answer that, it might hurt my feeling lol!

I did not feel disrespected either, I have moved on.

Maybe we should all move on?

I’m not sure you’ve demonstrated your point as well as you think you did.

Sorry the situation upset you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I disagree @Niel and I’m not at all upset, it takes ALOT more than this petty nonsense to fire me up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results