carat
color
clarity

Have you ever noticed this on IG?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not just IG but any resale site.

I’m going to keep this vague because I don’t want to make this a targeted post about this seller, I just want to see if anyone else has seen this happen.

A few months ago there was a five stone ring with an “unheated pink sapphire from Ceylon” in the center around a carat and four diamonds pulled from a brooch, total carat weight 2.5 all together. The setting is a reproduction by a well known vendor on PS. It’s a gorgeous ring and sold for $2900.

The IG seller that bought it gave me dibs since I expressed interest when she posted that it would be for sale. She messaged me and said she would be selling it for 7K!! I was so floored and told her there is just no way, way way out of my wheelhouse.

So a potential $4100 profit, the sapphire does not have a cert to verify that it’s unheated or Ceylon :eek2: I just find that price outrageous considering.

Has anyone ever has their eye on a piece and had the same thing happen. Or, have you taken notice of a hefty markup on a piece?

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I’ve noticed this too. Not the exact person you’re talking about because I don’t know that item but other items yes.
It’s always on accident, I just search rings and then I’ll be like wait a minute I’ve seen that somewhere else and look and it had been 1/4 the price it’s listed at now.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Smith3, yeah, it’s always interesting to see something with the price hiked way up. I mean, great if you can get it, and obviously businesses need to make a profit. I was just not prepared for that figure :lol-2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But….but….
Every ones being given a fair shot at buying it…
:lol::evil2:

I’m a fence sitter.
I agree with you. Especially about no lab report to back statements up.

But there’s also the same reason some people choose consignment in selling their stuff. Different places get different marketing. It’s a trade off. What’s ‘worth’ it, i mean, for the higher cost.

Plus - could I duplicate the ring at that initial price today- and how easily - and how compareabily to the look/ and dare I say sometimes quality. If I can’t easily duplicate it - hitting the the easy button in purchasing it at the higher price is the salve and cure for a what the-heart-wants and wants-right-now condition.

There’s things I own that if I put up for sale - I’d ask less than what I paid. Others I’d ask the same /similar to what I paid.
And at least one or two I’d really want to ask for more than what I paid. It’d be silly not to, because like items aren’t easily found or duplicated. Not saying that it’s a guarantee there’s be a willing buyer….
Market price isn’t always what something is worth - it’s the price the market will bear to pay. I think so- at least. So these reasons increased much more for them acting as ‘a vendor’ Godspeed them!

AND as much as it’s entertaining /frustrating to see this happen-
It’s more maddening to not be able to go back and see the history of the piece /know the real story
When the posts get deleted /altered.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher, I imagine if I bought that ring and then came across the original owner’s post with the price listed, it would definitely affect how I felt about the piece.

I agree about deleted posts, this is also one of the reasons certain posters delete the prices on sold pieces. Gah, drives me crazy!

My husband always says that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. To that I add finding the right person at the right time makes all the difference.

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Haha I actually found out which ring you are talking about.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nutellakitty, hmmm maybe I gave too much info. On the other hand, if someone was considering buying, they will know to ask some hard questions. In my world 7k is a lot of money for a piece of jewelry, you should know exactly what you’re buying.

Last edited:

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@nutellakitty, hmmm maybe I have too much info. On the other hand, if someone was considering buying, they will know to ask some hard questions. In my world 7k is a lot of money for a piece of jewelry, you should know exactly what you’re buying.

I totally agree with you. I mean for 7000+ you can get something much nicer like a high color true antique almost 2ct diamonds or some nice big sapphire pieces.
Or at least get a certificate from lab not just saying Likely Ceylon Unheated….

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Smith3, yeah, it’s always interesting to see something with the price hiked way up. I mean, great if you can get it, and obviously businesses need to make a profit. I was just not prepared for that figure :lol-2:

I know the ring you’re talking about. I’m just curious - did you say that you knew the original price? Or how did you respond? I’m not sure how much the ring is worth, but I know that when the original seller unloaded it, she probably unloaded it for a major loss based on the stones and the vendor! But I was also really shocked at the markup.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Not just IG but any resale site.

I’m going to keep this vague because I don’t want to make this a targeted post about this seller, I just want to see if anyone else has seen this happen.

A few months ago there was a five stone ring with an “unheated pink sapphire from Ceylon” in the center around a carat and four diamonds pulled from a brooch, total carat weight 2.5 all together. The setting is a reproduction by a well known vendor on PS. It’s a gorgeous ring and sold for $2900.

The IG seller that bought it gave me dibs since I expressed interest when she posted that it would be for sale. She messaged me and said she would be selling it for 7K!! I was so floored and told her there is just no way, way way out of my wheelhouse.

So a potential $4100 profit, the sapphire does not have a cert to verify that it’s unheated or Ceylon :eek2: I just find that price outrageous considering.

Has anyone ever has their eye on a piece and had the same thing happen. Or, have you taken notice of a hefty markup on a piece?

All the time, when I like something I'll keep watch on it for years. Sometimes I can follow it's 'sale' path. It only annoys me when they exorbitantly jack the price beyond reason because I start feeling very, 'Ma'am/Sir, I know exactly what you bought that for and from who, and when'.

There are limits.

boring-unimpressed.gif

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the ring you’re talking about. I’m just curious - did you say that you knew the original price? Or how did you respond? I’m not sure how much the ring is worth, but I know that when the original seller unloaded it, she probably unloaded it for a major loss based on the stones and the vendor! But I was also really shocked at the markup.

I just told her that it was gorgeous but way out of my budget and she got a great deal on it. I didn’t want to get confrontational about you know? Pretty sure my response gave away that I knew what she paid though ;)2

Not even sure how worth can be determined with uncertainty about the origin and treatment of the sapphire. 7k could be reasonable but there is just no way to know without that information IMO.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ItsMainelyYou, ha, you are too funny! Once I know that a piece is being sold at a huge markup, I’m just out. Like, I will enjoy it less, that’s because part of the enjoyment is knowing I paid a reasonable price. Reasonable is subjective of course :cool2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes @Rfisher, I didn’t even realize it was final sale :eek2:

Also just wanted to say that I’m not airing all this because I’m mad about it, just astonished and wanted to commiserate. I ended up finding a super pretty emerald cut instead, so any disappointment didn’t last long.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes @Rfisher, I didn’t even realize it was final sale :eek2:

Also just wanted to say that I’m not airing all this because I’m mad about it, just astonished and wanted to commiserate. I ended up finding a super pretty emerald cut instead, so any disappointment didn’t last long.
Congrats on your emerald cut!! Woo hoo!

I want to correct myself - it’s listed on Etsy and states shop policy of no returns/refunds
but now I see in FAQ section they do state they will refund under certain circumstances. Like paying full price.
So- there’s that.
I’m sorry for inadvertently being misleading.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I just told her that it was gorgeous but way out of my budget and she got a great deal on it. I didn’t want to get confrontational about you know? Pretty sure my response gave away that I knew what she paid though ;)2

Not even sure how worth can be determined with uncertainty about the origin and treatment of the sapphire. 7k could be reasonable but there is just no way to know without that information IMO.

That was a good way to respond - that she got a good deal - because honestly she got a smashing deal. On the diamonds and setting alone, I think the price is "normal" and on the high side but not a ripoff. But I wouldn't want to pay that cost either - especially after knowing the original price! I'm with you, knowing I got a bargain is part of the fun for me which I actually mentioned in another thread recently.

ETA - I think the reason she isn't listing it on IG but instead linking Etsy is that she is aware that so many ppl have seen it at the cheap price ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, I think the only way someone would know the original price is if they followed the original poster, or from the current seller’s stories when she bought it (because in the screenshot it had the original owner’s IG handle).

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader, I think the only way someone would know the original price is if they followed the original poster, or from the current seller’s stories when she bought it (because in the screenshot it had the original owner’s IG handle).

Yes I know but original and new owner have lots of mutual followers; the IG jewelry community really tends to be a small world. :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I know the ring and the two sellers. It's honestly a bit... icky... The price increase. It is a huge turn off. That is a huge flip in price over not a lot of time. I understand that someone sold it for way less, but I don't care for the practice of a huge flip right away without any documentation to back up what the stones are. The original seller is not a dealer so she'd have to sell at a discount without papers. Then a dealer buys and marks up over 60 percent without documentation on what it actually is.

I don't sell as much anymore because of stuff like this. People want to pick it up and flip. I'd rather repurpose things now.

The original seller is a very nice person and collector.

Eta: the current seller has high prices to me. A ring with a lab sapphire and lab diamonds for almost 3k. .46 of diamond weight. You can get a custom cut lab for super reasonable. A custom precision cut lab would be less than $400.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I don't agree with the amount of mark up either. I love to get a good deal as much as the next person.

I just want to add that I have dealt with vendor and I think she's a nice, small business owner, who also happens to have a daughter with a lot of medical issues. I only say this so we keep in mind that we are dealing with a small business person, not a big corporation.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat, I agree with everything you wrote.

@lulu_ma, I have corresponded with her but haven’t bought anything, she has always been nice.

I expected an increase just not this much. If there was some restoration, or she incurred costs sending to a lab and then adjusted the price based on the lab results, that would be more reasonable IMO.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@elizat, I agree with everything you wrote.

@lulu_ma, I have corresponded with her but haven’t bought anything, she has always been nice.

I expected an increase just not this much. If there was some restoration, or she incurred costs sending to a lab and then adjusted the price based on the lab results, that would be more reasonable IMO.

@YadaYadaYada I agree with you. In this scenario, her pricing is off the mark.

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock
Just happened to see this ring on Etsy; I no longer follow the seller on IG but hadn't bothered to remove them from my favorites on Etsy. The interesting thing for.me is that I'd stopped following them on IG because I felt their prices were too high, especially on some of their lab gem products. Anyway, it's an interesting question; I'm happy for them if someone is willing to pay that price but it's a lot. Meanwhile I'm also tracking what happens to the large sapphires from an antique bracelet that a different IG seller was selling; I think I've seen which vendor picked up the yellow one. Keeps things interesting :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crochet_Sparkles, it’s funny how IG is so big but the IG jewelry world is really not. Definitely keeps things interesting like you said.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
It's kind of frustrating too though. I don't always jump at a purchase- especially if it's been listed awhile. But twice IG sellers have snuck in and bought something I wanted. An engraved antique band originally $125 ? Sold. A week later is on IG for $299. A CalebMayer diamond ring- seller willing to sell for $950- oops now sold- shows up on IG/Etsy for $2900. Bummed x 2. :(

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE, that really stinks, so frustrating. I feel like IG is very high pressure for this very reason. Sorry you’ve missed out multiple times.

Also maybe this is petty, but when I sell items, it’s usually from my own personal collection, I would rather them go to someone who will love and wear them than a reseller. Most people probably wouldn’t care, money is money, but I would feel a little sad about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results