shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever bought something because it is a status symbol?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 3:24:32 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
Date: 6/17/2010 2:49:26 PM

Author: lulu

Okay, I''ll admit it. When I have the neighbors over for lunch I use real Starkist tuna and I even leave the can out so they''ll see. I hate that I care so much what people think of me, but there it is. (They''ll never know I make up for it by using the cheap mayo.)

Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DITTO ON THE PRICELESS.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2010 7:37:57 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I buy something because I like it, not because of what people will think of me because of the cost.

Date: 6/18/2010 7:10:27 PM

Author: BoulderGal

I''m from Colorado, near Boulder, so I never see LV bags, but I do see beat up cars where the ski equipment on top is worth twice the blue book value of the car. Status depends on area.

BG

BG- This made me laugh, but is so true. My co-workers mountain bike is far more expensive than her car.
AGREED...I grew up in a ski resort town where there was a lot of people with money...peoples ski equipment and winter toys were a status statement...but people also mixed their diamonds and American Indian jewelry.The diamonds would always get the silent treatment,but a gold or silver
American Indian piece that was signed by a well know artist received attention.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 12:15:21 PM
Author: Autumnovember
''Besides, I don''t like being walking billboard unless they mail me checks''

Agreed
36.gif

Same here. I''ve always objected to having a brand name displayed on my body. I can actually not think of more than one or two things in my wardrobe that a stranger could tell where I got them and most of them are things like jeans where the majority of the market puts their labels on the back so there isn''t much choice.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure I have bought things because they were considered "status symbols," but I can't think of anything offhand. It mattered more to me when I was younger than it does now. Like a couple other people here, I grew up in a very rural community so it was a big deal to shop anywhere except JCPenney/KMart/FashionBug -- the nearest "real" mall was over an hour away! And, of course, it was pre-internet.
3.gif
Now, I live in a huge city and I have much nicer things than I used to, but I don't really buy anything for the purpose of showing off, I just buy things that I like and that will last. It doesn't feel show-offy in real life because I'm pretty low-key for this area, but I definitely feel awkward when I'm at home.

My car, however, is the anti-status symbol and I'm very proud of it.
2.gif

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I like to think that I buy things just because I like them but I am also well aware of the culture that I was born into and have grown up in. Every time I buy something that I technically don't need and even when I buy things that I do need but select a particular brand I am making decisions that will impact the way people perceive me and work to construct my identity. Even when I pick the cheapest brand or decide not to buy something I'm setting myself up to be perceived by other people in particular ways.

I honestly don't think that it is something any of us can really escape. Particularly considering so many professions require us to project a certain image. I also don't think it is confined to upper class status symbols either. I know plenty of people who choose not to buy things or not buy expensive in order to appear a certain way even if they can afford it.

If I really didn't care what people thought I'd be walking around in hot pink tights in winter and just go naked during summer. Of course if I did that I'd likely lose the respect of several friends and the rest would probably be embarrassed to be seen in public with me.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Short answer - yes, but a long time ago - what comes to mind is about year 10 of HS (~15) when I really wanted and bought a DKNY tee shirt with a big label across the front..I did care when I was a teen about shopping in the trendiest boutiques and so on.

Now, I can't stand (for myself) clothing or accessories with labels emblazoned over them, I prefer a more discreet mark of quality, or no mark at all.

To echo what a few others have said, I do occasionally buy "higher end" items in clothing and accessories but not because of any inferred or assumed status, but because I really like it and I believe the item is good quality and will last a long time.
Than again, the higher end that my budget can afford may seem not so to someone of a different circle, it's all relative.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2010 12:10:01 AM
Author: hihowareyou
I like to think that I buy things just because I like them but I am also well aware of the culture that I was born into and have grown up in. Every time I buy something that I technically don''t need and even when I buy things that I do need but select a particular brand I am making decisions that will impact the way people perceive me and work to construct my identity. Even when I pick the cheapest brand or decide not to buy something I''m setting myself up to be perceived by other people in particular ways.

I honestly don''t think that it is something any of us can really escape. Particularly considering so many professions require us to project a certain image. I also don''t think it is confined to upper class status symbols either. I know plenty of people who choose not to buy things or not buy expensive in order to appear a certain way even if they can afford it.

If I really didn''t care what people thought I''d be walking around in hot pink tights in winter and just go naked during summer. Of course if I did that I''d likely lose the respect of several friends and the rest would probably be embarrassed to be seen in public with me.

A huge round of "ditto" to this!
35.gif
36.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
At my undergrad, as was par for the course in CO, students wore thrift store clothing but had the latest Ipod. I was the last person I knew to get one, but I did. Unslike everything else I have ever bought, I did not consult consumer reports, because it had to be an Ipod anything else would look right. That is the only time, although I do love my Ipod.

I suppose my wine habit could be considered such. As a grad student, most people I know drink everclear mixes, whereas I drink varieties of Italian wine they have never heard of. But that''s because I would rather drink tea than bad alcohol.

I am also with Kenny. You want to plaster your logo across my chest, there better being something in it for me.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Not since high school

My bag is black fabric,very large,comes from Wal Mart and costs $10. I did just buy a pair of $90 shoes but I got them for less than half that on Amazon.

We have had a Prius for six years but that is because my son loves the technology.

At home we have some nice things including two custom built computers and a knife rack full of Shuns. But since no one knows but us I am guessing our status is not affected.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 9:31:35 AM
Author:IndyLady

So, hence my questions: have you ever bought something because its a status symbol, and do you think it can actually bring you status?

Yes, but not since high school. Status is a relative thing. Around here, if three people say "Wow, that''s really nice!", probably twelve other people will either be totally clueless of its worth or will be bitter and spiteful as all-get-out because you have one and they will never be able to afford one.

So, I buy only what pleases me. Life in small towns is different from life in prosperous cities. In small towns, if you want to have friends, or at least have people be pleasant to you, it''s best to not appear too much better off than the average for the town.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 12:29:06 PM
Author: IndyLady
Very interesting responses!!

Elrowen- There is certainly a pro-marriage type bias in a lot of adult situations. I feel like even if someone is exactly my age and also right out of college, they get taken more seriously if they're married.
29.gif

Now, I never even noticed any of that where I worked, corporate engineering. Lots of people didn't marry until age 30 or so. Overall, it was such a mixed bag of ages and all, plus an unusual number of the married couples were childless dual-engineer-couples both working and traveling internationally. They either never had children or it was a second marriage and the kids lived in some other state. Or the couple had one child in their early to late 30s, and it was never a "family first" kind of environment. Also not a woman's world, I suppose. If you had a family, it had better not interfere with getting work done. If I heard much about anyone's kids, it was the 45-second executive summary of where everyone is now and how well they all are doing. Family life always sounded so easy, from the 12,000-foot view. Not like anything like reality.
9.gif
Several of the moms there hired nannies.

Where I see the discrimination is in this #@$%#$!@% small town that I live in. All women here EVER do is stay home with the family. Everyone thinks I must be off my rocker because 1) I have no children, and 2) I hate that lifestyle and want NO part of it. A mate: yes. A houseful of slop to clean up and other people's kids' bills to pay: NO! NO! NO!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I grew up in affluent areas and Haven mentioned a lot of the things that were status symbols - they''re still kind of the same now. My high school was a sea of North Face jackets and Coach bags. I had North Face jackets, but I actually went skiing on a regular basis.

I remember 10th grade when I got my drivers license. My parents bought be a brand new Toyota 4Runner. I think it was probably a safety thing as far as they were concerned, but I didn''t make a big deal about getting a car. Since my birthday was during the first part of the school year, I was one of the first of my friends to get a car, and I will never forget the reaction from some of them. I think I heard something to the effect of, ''Why would you get a Toyota?,'' 30 or more times. And I''m thinking, it''s just a car. I guess I missed the memo that all kids of wealthy parents should drive a Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW.

Personally, I buy things because I like them or see the value in them. I''m completely and unapologetically preppy, and that''s reflected in the clothes that I buy. I find myself drawn to the Gap because there are no logos and the clothes are classic and last. I''m a huge fan of Ralph Lauren for the same reason. I do buy some designer pieces, but most people couldn''t discern Micheal Bastian from Gap, and that''s why I like his stuff.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results