shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever bought something because it is a status symbol?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Have you ever bought something because it is a status symbol?

Do you think that owning a status symbol actually can bring you status?

In college, my friends and SO wouldn''t care if I carried a LV or one of those reusable bags from the grocery store.

While working though, I''m definitely seeing designer bags working as status symbols. You can tell that their owners are really proud of them. There''s also name dropping about personal bag and shoe collections. Since I''m not a big shoe/purse fan, these comments were not part of a back and forth "conversation", in which case I would have percieved the situation differently (for example, if two Coach lovers were talking about their collections..well, that makes sense). I seem to see/hear it all around the office. And it seems to "work"...people when someone talks about their Fendi bag, the other people in group always look impressed. It makes me wonder if the attention pays off, and you get taken to be more impressive if you have a status symbol. I remember one old thread in which a teacher wasn''t being taken seriously by administration, so she wore her grandmother''s diamond rings to the parent/teacher/administrator conference, and the PS''er said that she thought it helped and that she was taken more seriously, especially because she has a tendency to look young.

So, hence my questions: have you ever bought something because its a status symbol, and do you think it can actually bring you status?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of status symbols became status symbols because they are durable, well made and will last a long time, such as diamonds, Burberry coats, Hermes bags and LV bags. I buy these things because they last a long time, they're beautiful and they're well made.

Other things became status symbols because celebrities decided to get them even though they might not be quality items. I wouldn't buy a status symbol just because some celeb has it.

In my experience at work, status and respect comes from job knowledge rather than what a person wears or carries. Co-workers can either resent or admire a person who wears designer clothes, carries designer bags and wears important jewelry, but they always respect that person if he or she knows the job.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Does a wedding band count?
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
depends on what brands your social circle consider a status symbol.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, I''m too broke for that. I pride myself more on a good bargain.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 9:40:15 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Lots of status symbols became status symbols because they are durable, well made and will last a long time, such as diamonds, Burberry coats, Hermes bags and LV bags. I buy these things because they last a long time, they''re beautiful and they''re well made.

Other things became status symbols because celebrities decided to get them even though they might not be quality items. I wouldn''t buy a status symbol just because some celeb has it.

In my experience at work, status and respect comes from job knowledge rather than what a person wears or carries. Co-workers can either resent or admire a person who wears designer clothes, carries designer bags and wears important jewelry, but they always respect that person if he or she knows the job.
then why women needed to buy one every other month?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I know this is a little off topic, but since some posters have mentioned wedding jewelry I thought I'd bring it up.

I was told a few times in my last job that I would get more respect once I was married. Being young and unmarried gives people an excuse to think of you as young and inexperienced. These people said that once I was married, I would be accepted into the "adult" world more.

I initially thought this was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard - what if I didn't get married until 30? Or 35? Would people always think I was young and flighty? But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it's true - at least in the industry I was working in. The young single people got zero respect, no matter how old they actually were or how much experience they had (not to mention the young single people tended to work way harder than the other employees). But there was something about being married that made everyone think the person was more mature and deserving of respect - I saw this happen as others got married around me. So, in a way, a wedding ring was a major status symbol.

I'm so glad I got out of that industry
3.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I own two Dooney bags... and when I originally got my first one yes it was b/c it was a status symbol, and because I liked the colors. I was also 20 and young and silly. The second one I just liked a lot, it is brown and matches almost everything.

Today I don''t buy status symbol items unless they are something I just love. I have a Coach that my mom got me that is black and white and very chic and it is pretty much a Mary Poppins bag. I keep waiting for a lamp or some boots to pop out (I''d prefer the boots).

Most name brands IF I buy them are things I enjoy now, like I really like some of the shoes that Jessica Simpson puts out, and I''m comfy in Victoria Secret Pink pajamas.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 10:07:27 AM
Author: elrohwen
I know this is a little off topic, but since some posters have mentioned wedding jewelry I thought I''d bring it up.

I was told a few times in my last job that I would get more respect once I was married. Being young and unmarried gives people an excuse to think of you as young and inexperienced. These people said that once I was married, I would be accepted into the ''adult'' world more.

I initially thought this was the stupidest thing I''d ever heard - what if I didn''t get married until 30? Or 35? Would people always think I was young and flighty? But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it''s true - at least in the industry I was working in. The young single people got zero respect, no matter how old they actually were or how much experience they had (not to mention the young single people tended to work way harder than the other employees). But there was something about being married that made everyone think the person was more mature and deserving of respect - I saw this happen as others got married around me. So, in a way, a wedding ring was a major status symbol.

I''m so glad I got out of that industry
3.gif
elrohwen, I think that in general, not just in a work environment, people do tend to see you differently when you''re "married" as opposed to "single", more specifically when you''re young.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 10:24:50 AM
Author: lilyfoot
Date: 6/17/2010 10:07:27 AM

Author: elrohwen

I know this is a little off topic, but since some posters have mentioned wedding jewelry I thought I''d bring it up.

I was told a few times in my last job that I would get more respect once I was married. Being young and unmarried gives people an excuse to think of you as young and inexperienced. These people said that once I was married, I would be accepted into the ''adult'' world more.

I initially thought this was the stupidest thing I''d ever heard - what if I didn''t get married until 30? Or 35? Would people always think I was young and flighty? But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it''s true - at least in the industry I was working in. The young single people got zero respect, no matter how old they actually were or how much experience they had (not to mention the young single people tended to work way harder than the other employees). But there was something about being married that made everyone think the person was more mature and deserving of respect - I saw this happen as others got married around me. So, in a way, a wedding ring was a major status symbol.

I''m so glad I got out of that industry
3.gif

elrohwen, I think that in general, not just in a work environment, people do tend to see you differently when you''re ''married'' as opposed to ''single'', more specifically when you''re young.

I don''t think it''s necessarily as strong in some industries as it is in others. The average age in my old industry was probably 40 and my company hired very few young single people, so I think that was part of the problem. There was definitely a "married club" even though most of the "young" single people were 28-32 years old.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
To answer the question - no, I can't think of anything I've purchased as a status symbol. In general I hate having obvious branding on my clothes and accessories, so if a purse has branding on it I won't buy it. I like to buy quality and I'm not afraid to spend money on something I really like, but I don't like advertising for the company either so most people won't realize how expensive my purse or clothes are.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Well I will within reason. If it''s a great brand on crazy sale. Example, there''s this shoe website that will occasionally sell the best shoes for redonkulous prices. Like 500 dollar shoes I would never consider for a million years for under 50. Also, I''m having this big anniversary party next year and I wanted to get my 3 awesome sisters a gift. I''m most likely gonna get them ea a Tiffany silver bracelet with 1 tiny diamond. The price is $250. Now I know I could get a better value elsewhere as it''s a totally simple design, but they''d be so happy to have a real Tiffany once in their lives, you know?

(here''s the bracelet)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I haven''t.

I think it depends on what type of office you work for. It was common for the women at the first law firm that I worked at to discuss their various housekeepers, nannies, staff, etc., which were so important, given that their lives were so so busy. Shoes, purses, clothing were not discussed. Most of the attorneys were men, so I gather that is why. Among the women, the status "symbol" was really more about how important and how busy they were.

Second law firm, BMWs were the status symbol. I hate BMWs, perhaps for that reason (no offense intended!!)

Where I work now, there are no status symbols. I much prefer it.

I completely agree with Madam Bijoux. While the symbols may provide fodder for conversation, they do not gain respect. Only hard work does.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Owner of one cole haan purses and one coach purse. Neither one of them have the name brand stamped all over it. I hate hate hate hate purses that are a dead giveaway of what brand they are. I've had these two purses for over 2 and a half years...and I'll continue to use them for probably another 2 and a half years. I didn't buy them for the 'status' symbol :) you'll never find any of my clothes with the name brand on them that is visible to others either.

I often think about cars as status symbols. For many, it is...for others they spend a lot of money on it because they just flat out like it...not to impress anyone. My SO bought himself an Audi R8 because he just fell in love with the car. He didn't buy it because he wanted to impress anybody or anything or be a show off. On the other hand, I do know people who have spent tons of money on a car because it IS a status symbol.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have never bought a bag thinking that it is a status symbol and it would get me more attention and respect at work or wherever, but I have bought bags that are considered status symbols I suppose.

I think Madame Bijouix said it perfectly, that these bags are known for their quality and have stood the test of time. I have never heard of an LV breaking apart at the seams or the handles coming off, they really are durable and well made and the companies do stand behind their product.

I am not even allowed to bring my bag into my area of work, so it''s in my locker the whole day, so it really is not impressing anyone but the locker. Same thing for rings, we aren''t allowed to wear our rings at work, so no one really knows what I have and I only have a select few (3 people) who know about my diamond and bag obsession that I can confide in.

I think my co-workers respect me at work because I am knowledgeable and damn good at my job, not because of the bags I carry or the rings I wear.

Actually, my tag line says it perfectly, buy what you want to please yourself, not to impress anyone else.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire:
then why women needed to buy one every other month?

We need them every other month because there are color combinations that we must have.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I feel like its everyones prerogative who buys what and for what reasons...some people just really enjoy collecting bags, sunglasses, shoes, books, anything. Sometimes I think its very evident who is buying a purse for the status symbol....but they just REEK of wanting attention. Know what I mean? I''m sure we have all seen these girls around..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I do seek out high quality but I detest the whole status symbol way of improving self worth.

Most of my clothes come from the thrift store.
I look for quality cotton shirts and frequently they will have a designer logo sewn in on the chest.

When I get it home I''ll carefully remove it with a new razor blade.
After a couple washings you usually can''t tell it was there.

Besides, I don''t like being walking billboard unless they mail me checks.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I appreciate nice things, but I don''t buy much of them (hardly any, in fact) because there''s always a more practical, cost effective alternative. I drive a Ford, wear Reef flip flops 360 out of the year, and I highly doubt my battered Not Rational Diaper bag is a status symbol.

I consider my joie de vivre the best symbol of my status. I live a balanced life and am generally worry free and happy. Nothing externally I buy for myself adds or takes away from that (um, except jewelry of course, hahaha), so I simply don''t seek it.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
"Besides, I don't like being walking billboard unless they mail me checks"

Agreed
36.gif

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Status symbols? HA HA HA! Heck no!

However, between my husband and myself we''ve owned three BMW''s (one we still have...a 99 M3 convertible). Not because they are status symbols, but because they hold their value, are fun to drive, and most importantly they are probably the safest cars on the road. We''ve known two people who''ve been in accidents in them, and have walked out without a scratch on them. The first one (a 71 2002) was rolled on Rt. 80, the second (a 90''s E34 body style like I had, driven by our friend''s father) was pushed by a tractor trailer into the concrete divider on the NJ turnpike. Car was destroyed, but Mr. Moore was perfectly fine.

Shoes: I happen to LOVE Steve Madden shoes (any of his...Madden Girl, Steven, or Steve Madden). Not because of the designer label, but because those seem to fit me the best. They are the most comfortable shoes and best made shoes I''ve ever owned. I own several pairs of them, all purchased at a steep discount at various stores.

Clothing: I usually shop at Marshall''s or on line (Ebay!) because I can''t stand going to a maul to buy clothing, and I don''t have time with 4 kids to actually go browsing around. I buy classic pieces for dressier clothing (Jones NY, DK, RL or CK). Again, not because of the labels but because of the styles, well-made clothing, and the fit. I even have a Laura Ashley coat that''s about 18 years old now, and still looks brand new. The style is classic English Riding coat, and it''s pure wool. I have it cleaned every season, and it always keeps me warm.

Buying something because it''s a status symbol is silly. Buying a well made piece because you love the design and feel good in it is an investment in yourself.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting responses!!

Elrowen- There is certainly a pro-marriage type bias in a lot of adult situations. I feel like even if someone is exactly my age and also right out of college, they get taken more seriously if they''re married.
29.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 12:28:15 PM
Author: Winks_Elf
Buying something because it''s a status symbol is silly. Buying a well made piece because you love the design and feel good in it is an investment in yourself.
I agree
1.gif

Personally, I am trying to get into the habit of buying higher quality items, because I''ve noticed that when I buy cheap, low-quality items, they don''t last very long (i.e., a $5 shirt that gets messed up after 1 or 2 washes; a $20 purse that falls apart after a month, etc). So, with this is mind, I am turning to more well-known designers (i.e., the Coach purse I bought last November/December still looks brand new after daily wear).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So here''s an question...what IS a status symbol? Does it depend on your socioeconomic viewpoint or is there a set level where something is a status symbol?

Meaning, (and to use your examples Winks Elf, since you mentioned them) is regular stuff you find at Macy''s (Jones NY, RL, etc) at status symbol level? When I was in college, D&B bags were a status symbol because there was no way anyone could afford a LV. But I don''t look at them now and really think there are a status symbol. I consider status symbols things like Chanel, Louis Vutton, Mercedes, Rolex, etc. Not because it''s the BEST (especially in the case of Rolex) but has a lot of marketing and awareness behind it. And also from my socio economic viewpoint, these are the things that take a chunk out of the wallet.

I mean, if you''re super rich, even that level wouldn''t really be a status symbol, would it? You''d go for more obscure, specialized stuff, yes?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 12:35:57 PM
Author: TravelingGal
So here''s an question...what IS a status symbol? Does it depend on your socioeconomic viewpoint or is there a set level where something is a status symbol?

Meaning, (and to use your examples Winks Elf, since you mentioned them) is regular stuff you find at Macy''s (Jones NY, RL, etc) at status symbol level? When I was in college, D&B bags were a status symbol because there was no way anyone could afford a LV. But I don''t look at them now and really think there are a status symbol. I consider status symbols things like Chanel, Louis Vutton, Mercedes, Rolex, etc. Not because it''s the BEST (especially in the case of Rolex) but has a lot of marketing and awareness behind it. And also from my socio economic viewpoint, these are the things that take a chunk out of the wallet.

I mean, if you''re super rich, even that level wouldn''t really be a status symbol, would it? You''d go for more obscure, specialized stuff, yes?

It depends where you live. Where I grew up, Banana Republic and JCrew are status symbol clothes - they''re more expensive than what most people seem to buy, and they''re looked at as specialty stores that you might shop at infrequently for one really nice piece.

In CT, where I live now, my BR clothes aren''t fancy or special and are perfectly middle of the road. Even driving a BMW/Audi/Mercedes isn''t a status symbol, since it seems like everybody has them (well, except me
3.gif
). In an area with a lot of wealthy people, it takes a bit more for something to be considered a status symbol (maybe an M3 instead of a regular BMW, or an Hermes bag instead of Coach). I think status symbols are completely dependent on where you live.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I grew up in a poor community and went to a rural school. In my high school class, the epitome of "status" was a Dooney & Bourke purse and Guess jeans. If a student had those things, that student's family was considered "rich". There was no access to brands like Chanel or Prada, and they were WAY out of my community's league. So the status symbol fit the community.

Obviously now I work in a major city and the "status" brands are completely different.

I appreciate nice things. I don't spend much on clothes, purses or shoes, but I like soft leather as much as the next woman. I don't have much of a desire to accumulate "stuff" since it's not important to me, but I still understand why some women do. It brings them joy. I plan on buying an expensive sports car at some point in my adult life simply because I would enjoy it even though it's a depreciating asset and thus a waste of money.

What I find interesting, however, is how the marketing of these brands is so successful. I work at an ad agency and spend a ton of time talking about the perception of a brand and how brands become status symbols and integral parts of people's lives. It is mind boggling to me how some of these brands have become so POWERFUL. A couple of weeks ago when D and I were in Hawaii I saw a guy who had TATOOED the nike swoosh on his leg. Now I wouldn't consider Nike a prestigious brand, but it's amazing to me that a brand can become so powerful that people want to permanently put it on their bodies. Brands are very powerful influencers and all it comes down to how you want to be perceived.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 12:35:57 PM
Author: TravelingGal
So here's an question...what IS a status symbol?

A status symbol isn't the object itself.
Like beauty, it is in the minds of the owner and/or the observer.

There are several possibilities:

1. The owner and the observer both feel the object confers status.
2. Neither think it does.
3. The observer does, but the owner does not.
4. The owner does, but the observer does not.
5. One side thinks the other side thinks it does.

I don't feel my nice diamond confers status onto me.
I got it to enjoy what it does and what it is.
Others may think it does confer status onto me, or they may think that I think it does - which is not my problem.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WTH? Am I the only one here who is proud of their belongings? I don''t wear obvious labels, but when someone asks me where I got such-and-such (whatever I''m wearing--bag, shoes, watch), I answer honestly and if that person''s reaction is admiring or appreciative that gives me a lot of satisfaction. Not because they know I spent a lot more money than I COULD have but because they recognize that brand or designer and like it as well, usually. Sorry, but it feels a lot better to me to say, I got this dress in Chicago at Cynthia Rowley, than it does to say, I found this dress at Express. But you know, I am a shallow biotch. I also like to wear diamonds because they make me sparkle and I like it that other people notice me sparkling and I have no problem admitting it.

I have a healthy attitude towards life in general and I appreciate everything I''ve worked for. If my money can buy me nice things and other people notice that, that is absolutely fine with me. No one likes to think of themselves as a show-off, and I don''t think most people here flaunt their wealth or belongings, but I think we all like nice things and there is nothing wrong with buying something because you respect the name and you know other people do too.

The difference to me between someone who''s obviously buying something to symbolize their status is that the person will often "randomly" volunteer specific information about what they are wearing/driving/etc. It appears desperate and attention-seeking when someone HAS to tell you without being asked that their ring is la-di-da designer, their car cost $$$$$, their jeans were $450, their vacation cost more than most people''s college educations, and so forth.

Elrowen, I had to laugh about your post--I work in my home county and at work I''m surrounded by Rolexes and Montblancs, yet when I went to my 10 year reunion one of my friends was so excited to tell me his outfit was from Banana Republic. I sort of did a double take at first but quickly recovered, realizing that BR is a big status symbol around here. Let''s just say the racks of Jean Paul Gaultier at Target were still full 6 weeks after that collection arrived this spring.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am guilty of this. I was the poorest kid at a private school full of wealthy kids and it was a huge deal when I was able to buy my first Lacoste shirt. I only had one, they had every color.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 1:21:36 PM
Author: monarch64
WTH? Am I the only one here who is proud of their belongings? I don''t wear obvious labels, but when someone asks me where I got such-and-such (whatever I''m wearing--bag, shoes, watch), I answer honestly and if that person''s reaction is admiring or appreciative that gives me a lot of satisfaction. Not because they know I spent a lot more money than I COULD have but because they recognize that brand or designer and like it as well, usually. Sorry, but it feels a lot better to me to say, I got this dress in Chicago at Cynthia Rowley, than it does to say, I found this dress at Express. But you know, I am a shallow biotch. I also like to wear diamonds because they make me sparkle and I like it that other people notice me sparkling and I have no problem admitting it.

I have a healthy attitude towards life in general and I appreciate everything I''ve worked for. If my money can buy me nice things and other people notice that, that is absolutely fine with me. No one likes to think of themselves as a show-off, and I don''t think most people here flaunt their wealth or belongings, but I think we all like nice things and there is nothing wrong with buying something because you respect the name and you know other people do too.

The difference to me between someone who''s obviously buying something to symbolize their status is that the person will often ''randomly'' volunteer specific information about what they are wearing/driving/etc. It appears desperate and attention-seeking when someone HAS to tell you without being asked that their ring is la-di-da designer, their car cost $$$$$, their jeans were $450, their vacation cost more than most people''s college educations, and so forth.

Elrowen, I had to laugh about your post--I work in my home county and at work I''m surrounded by Rolexes and Montblancs, yet when I went to my 10 year reunion one of my friends was so excited to tell me his outfit was from Banana Republic. I sort of did a double take at first but quickly recovered, realizing that BR is a big status symbol around here. Let''s just say the racks of Jean Paul Gaultier at Target were still full 6 weeks after that collection arrived this spring.
Funny. I always feel better when someone asks me where I got something because they love it and I say, "Target" and their mouths drop open and they exclaim, "REALLY?"
3.gif

To each her own. But I will say, that money can''t buy STYLE (which I don''t have, btw). My cousin can wear whatever, and it just all looks off the runway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results