shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever bought something because it is a status symbol?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree, TGal. My SIL buys the cheapest clothes she can find, and everything look fabulous and stylish on her. I could wear Gucci and wouldn''t look half as good
3.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 1:42:33 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 6/17/2010 1:21:36 PM
Author: monarch64
WTH? Am I the only one here who is proud of their belongings? I don''t wear obvious labels, but when someone asks me where I got such-and-such (whatever I''m wearing--bag, shoes, watch), I answer honestly and if that person''s reaction is admiring or appreciative that gives me a lot of satisfaction. Not because they know I spent a lot more money than I COULD have but because they recognize that brand or designer and like it as well, usually. Sorry, but it feels a lot better to me to say, I got this dress in Chicago at Cynthia Rowley, than it does to say, I found this dress at Express. But you know, I am a shallow biotch. I also like to wear diamonds because they make me sparkle and I like it that other people notice me sparkling and I have no problem admitting it.

I have a healthy attitude towards life in general and I appreciate everything I''ve worked for. If my money can buy me nice things and other people notice that, that is absolutely fine with me. No one likes to think of themselves as a show-off, and I don''t think most people here flaunt their wealth or belongings, but I think we all like nice things and there is nothing wrong with buying something because you respect the name and you know other people do too.

The difference to me between someone who''s obviously buying something to symbolize their status is that the person will often ''randomly'' volunteer specific information about what they are wearing/driving/etc. It appears desperate and attention-seeking when someone HAS to tell you without being asked that their ring is la-di-da designer, their car cost $$$$$, their jeans were $450, their vacation cost more than most people''s college educations, and so forth.

Elrowen, I had to laugh about your post--I work in my home county and at work I''m surrounded by Rolexes and Montblancs, yet when I went to my 10 year reunion one of my friends was so excited to tell me his outfit was from Banana Republic. I sort of did a double take at first but quickly recovered, realizing that BR is a big status symbol around here. Let''s just say the racks of Jean Paul Gaultier at Target were still full 6 weeks after that collection arrived this spring.
Funny. I always feel better when someone asks me where I got something because they love it and I say, ''Target'' and their mouths drop open and they exclaim, ''REALLY?''
3.gif

To each her own. But I will say, that money can''t buy STYLE (which I don''t have, btw). My cousin can wear whatever, and it just all looks off the runway.
I say "Target" a lot, and you''re right, it is nice to hear that shocked tone in the person''s voice.

And you must have some sense of style if people are shocked when you say "Target!" (Meaning you''re finding the cute stuff there besides the basics.)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't usually set out to buy anything because of the designer. I definitely own things that could be considered status symbols, but that's almost never why I bought them. Plus I live in somewhat conservative area and most of the status symbol stuff I own isn't really viewed as that by the people who live here. They're more into brands like Louis Vuitton, Coach and Tory Burch, and I'm not. I will say that a big part of why I bought my Rolex was because it was a Rolex. I liked how it looked, too, but I wasn't into watches or even looking for one when I bought it. The opportunity to buy mine at a great price came up, and I took it.

As for what is a status symbol, I think this thread shows that it varies greatly by area. In a city the cost of living is higher and most people make more money than people in rural areas. So status symbols in a city (even a smaller one like mine) are going to be more expensive than status symbols in a rural area. It also depends on your circle of friends, your style, etc. My best friend and I both love a lot of the same lines, but most of them are lines that our other friends who are less into fashion have never heard of. So my best friend and I would probably consider an item from those lines a status symbol, but no one else would because for all they know, it's a dress from Urban Outfitters.

ETA I should add that age matters, too. When I was in high school the popular kids wore stuff from Express and Guess and those brands were considered status symbols.

ETA2 I totally agree that style can't be bought. My sister's friend will buy ANYTHING from Off 5th or Nordstrom Rack if it's designer, but it's always ugly!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 1:44:32 PM
I say ''Target'' a lot, and you''re right, it is nice to hear that shocked tone in the person''s voice.

And you must have some sense of style if people are shocked when you say ''Target!'' (Meaning you''re finding the cute stuff there besides the basics.)
I love to do this too. Whenever I get compliments on the things I''m wearing, I always blurt how what a bargain it was, like $5.99 at Ross!!!!!!!

So, NO, I''m not someone who buys something because of status symbol, in fact, I''d say I''m the exact opposite. I love to flaunt the fact that my $30 Kohls jeans look better than someone else''s $200 jeans they bought because of the emblem on their booty!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/17/2010 1:58:48 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
Date: 6/17/2010 1:44:32 PM

I say 'Target' a lot, and you're right, it is nice to hear that shocked tone in the person's voice.

And you must have some sense of style if people are shocked when you say 'Target!' (Meaning you're finding the cute stuff there besides the basics.)

I love to do this too. Whenever I get compliments on the things I'm wearing, I always blurt how what a bargain it was, like $5.99 at Ross!!!!!!!

So, NO, I'm not someone who buys something because of status symbol, in fact, I'd say I'm the exact opposite. I love to flaunt the fact that my $30 Kohls jeans look better than someone else's $200 jeans they bought because of the emblem on their booty!

Monarch, your first post cracked me up - right on the money, honey!

Jaysonsmom - I used to do that, too! It's odd, though: while it used to get good reactions, lately I've started feeling weird about it, almost like I'm apologizing for my obvious good taste. (
41.gif
) So now I'm trying to learn the fine art of accepting a compliment gracefully. It's tougher than it looks!

As for the original question ... I feel like I'm always saying, "It depends on how you define X!" but it's true. I love to buy quality goods, and to share my cool finds with people, so if someone compliments my shoes, I'm happy to turn them on to the wonder that is Via Spiga, if they love my bag I'll rabbit on about the quality of Picard, or whatever. But I've never wanted to get "a Burberry trench" as opposed to getting a really well-made trench. For me, the status derives from the way the object enhances my persona, not from the object, itself, just hanging out in a vacuum.

That said, two notable exceptions, one purely in the realm of fantasy, and one that I'm gloating over as of yesterday: first, I'm starting to eyeball Birkins. I will never get one, because a 10K purse will always make me think, "that could have been a diamond!" It will never matter how much money I have, or how many diamonds. I could have a riviera-style necklace with each link a 2-carater to my KNEES, and I would still have that reaction.

Two: yesterday, I got my first Agent Provocateur corset! Gods bless the London sales. I don't know if it counts as a "status" thing since, what, I'm going to impress DH with it? Nevertheless, I think so highly of the brand that, on top of it being a beautiful garment, owning a little piece of the rep gives me the warm and fuzzies. Weird, huh?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like to think if people are going to make judgments about my appearance it's based on how well put together I am and how I carry myself and conduct business vs. the labels on my clothes. That means I want to look put together, in clothes that fit properly are situationally appropriate, comfortable and good quality (because good quality means a longer shelf/wear life). Dare I say classy? I have no problem investing a little more $ in something if I know it's going to meet those specific needs because I know I'll get a lot of use out of it.

What I do have a problem with is buying expensive trendy things that I'll wear once or twice and send to the Salvation Army. Usually these "trendier" things are the ones people consider status symbols because they recognize the brand and the expense. And usually the people who buy these "status symbols" take them too far in an attempt to come across as being something they're not. Who hasn't seen THAT guy in head to toe Fendi???

I go more for understated class and elegance than flashy "I'm rich look at me!!!"

No. But I am subject to liking some of those items. It''s not cause they''re "cool" though. It''s because I like them (iphone 4 iphone 4 iphone 4) lol

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I will admit, I am kind of with Monnie on this one. It's not exciting to tell people that I picked something up at the mall, no matter how nice the mall is. But I do like nice things and some popular brands- I was saving up for a Coach purse until I found a good purse for 1/4 of the price at Nine West.

But the things I get a thrill out of are the pieces I pick up while I'm traveling - It's fun to say I got my boots in the Netherlands, or my scarf while I was in India.

Unfortunately I don't have enough style for people to be asking me where I got things on a regular basis, so I content myself with buying things just because they make me happy.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I'll admit it. When I have the neighbors over for lunch I use real Starkist tuna and I even leave the can out so they'll see. I hate that I care so much what people think of me, but there it is. (They'll never know I make up for it by using the cheap mayo.)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 2:49:26 PM
Author: lulu
Okay, I''ll admit it. When I have the neighbors over for lunch I use real Starkist tuna and I even leave the can out so they''ll see. I hate that I care so much what people think of me, but there it is. (They''ll never know I make up for it by using the cheap mayo.)

I just spit out my drink. LMAO

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really. Although from an international stand point, owning a diamond ring may count as a "status symbol", in which case I guess my husband has.

The only brand name thing I own (other than brand name electronics like Panasonic etc), is my Movado watch which I bought at 75% off and only because I loved the design of it. It''s not even easily recognizable as a Movado since it doesn''t have the "one dot" watch face that it''s known for.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 2:49:26 PM
Author: lulu
Okay, I''ll admit it. When I have the neighbors over for lunch I use real Starkist tuna and I even leave the can out so they''ll see. I hate that I care so much what people think of me, but there it is. (They''ll never know I make up for it by using the cheap mayo.)

Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. I would be a liar if I said no. Thankfully most brand name items (but not all) are also well made, thus justifying the price tag.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I would own a ''status symbol'' only if I truly valued the workmanship of the product. If I felt it was worth every penny because of its quality and excellence, and that this quality could not be duplicated elsewhere, and I could afford to own this object, then I might purchase based on these merits.

Owning something, especially an accessory, because it impresses - - anyone - - is pointlessly silly. For the owner, and the coveter.

I prefer to be charmed by the personality, character, wit, and self-deprecating humor in a person. I''m completely underwhelmed by their choice of outfits, accessories, jewelry, homes, or cars. And if it''s too important to them to have these things, I usually find them less than charming.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 1:46:07 PM
Author: thing2of2
I don''t usually set out to buy anything because of the designer. I definitely own things that could be considered status symbols, but that''s almost never why I bought them.

ditto. I have quite a few designer items (especially shoes) but I buy them as I find them so comfortable, love the design etc, not so I can brag to others. As others have said, status symbols can mean different things to different people.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 12:28:15 PM
Author: Winks_Elf
Status symbols? HA HA HA! Heck no!

However, between my husband and myself we''ve owned three BMW''s (one we still have...a 99 M3 convertible). Not because they are status symbols, but because they hold their value, are fun to drive, and most importantly they are probably the safest cars on the road. We''ve known two people who''ve been in accidents in them, and have walked out without a scratch on them. The first one (a 71 2002) was rolled on Rt. 80, the second (a 90''s E34 body style like I had, driven by our friend''s father) was pushed by a tractor trailer into the concrete divider on the NJ turnpike. Car was destroyed, but Mr. Moore was perfectly fine.

Shoes: I happen to LOVE Steve Madden shoes (any of his...Madden Girl, Steven, or Steve Madden). Not because of the designer label, but because those seem to fit me the best. They are the most comfortable shoes and best made shoes I''ve ever owned. I own several pairs of them, all purchased at a steep discount at various stores.

Clothing: I usually shop at Marshall''s or on line (Ebay!) because I can''t stand going to a maul to buy clothing, and I don''t have time with 4 kids to actually go browsing around. I buy classic pieces for dressier clothing (Jones NY, DK, RL or CK). Again, not because of the labels but because of the styles, well-made clothing, and the fit. I even have a Laura Ashley coat that''s about 18 years old now, and still looks brand new. The style is classic English Riding coat, and it''s pure wool. I have it cleaned every season, and it always keeps me warm.

Buying something because it''s a status symbol is silly. Buying a well made piece because you love the design and feel good in it is an investment in yourself.

This post is soooo funny to me because I realized this morning that I have at least 4 pairs of Steve Madden shoes in my closet. I have two pairs of heels, a pair of flats, and a pair of boots haha!I like the shoes too, good fit, and stylish... but usually quite classic too1!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do rather the opposite - if given the choice between an easily identifiable brand and an obscure one, I'm more likely to pick the obscure one. I don't like people knowing just how much or how little I've spent on anything, and "status symbols" are an obvious way to do that.

That said, we've registered for a bunch of kitchen appliances and I want everything to be red kitchenaid. Is that a status symbol to someone somewhere?
3.gif

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a status symbol? No. I have a LV bag which I bought for myself as a reward for passing law school - but it''s the Epi leather collection, so the LV is embossed once in the lower corner, very discreetly.

If I buy pricey items, it''s because I want something well made. If it''s on sale, then score. But I don''t buy something necessarily just because it''s cheap. My MIL used to buy a lot of clothes as the outlets b/c "they were such a deal." But, if you don''t wear it or it doesn''t last, then it''s not such a deal. She''d probably be horrified at how much we paid for DH''s suit, because she''d rather go to the Rack and not pay for alterations. Since DH is also an atty, I think a well made suit is worth its weight in gold - oh yes, and we also buy them at the Nordstrom''s Anniversary custom suit sale, so it''s not like we''re paying full price anyway.

I''m past the point of milling through racks of sales items to find "it." Sometimes, I''ll pay full price for the item because my time has become more valuable to me than a savings of $20.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 5:43:07 PM
Author: yssie
I do rather the opposite - if given the choice between an easily identifiable brand and an obscure one, I''m more likely to pick the obscure one. I don''t like people knowing just how much or how little I''ve spent on anything, and ''status symbols'' are an obvious way to do that.

That said, we''ve registered for a bunch of kitchen appliances and I want everything to be red kitchenaid. Is that a status symbol to someone somewhere?
3.gif
Umm, yeah. My house!

Yssie, I think we''re kitchen and earring soul mates. It can''t be denied any longer!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 5:52:28 PM
Author: Yimmers
As a status symbol? No. I have a LV bag which I bought for myself as a reward for passing law school - but it''s the Epi leather collection, so the LV is embossed once in the lower corner, very discreetly.

If I buy pricey items, it''s because I want something well made. If it''s on sale, then score. But I don''t buy something necessarily just because it''s cheap. My MIL used to buy a lot of clothes as the outlets b/c ''they were such a deal.'' But, if you don''t wear it or it doesn''t last, then it''s not such a deal. She''d probably be horrified at how much we paid for DH''s suit, because she''d rather go to the Rack and not pay for alterations. Since DH is also an atty, I think a well made suit is worth its weight in gold - oh yes, and we also buy them at the Nordstrom''s Anniversary custom suit sale, so it''s not like we''re paying full price anyway.

I''m past the point of milling through racks of sales items to find ''it.'' Sometimes, I''ll pay full price for the item because my time has become more valuable to me than a savings of $20.

A girl after my own heart! I have *no* patience for sales racks or discount stores - those stores actually make me anxious. My sanity is worth $10-20 extra, so I just pay full price much of th etime. I try to shop less so it all evens out. Though I will definitely use a coupon if it''s available - I just got a 40% off coupon for Borders, and JCrew often has sales if you''re on their email list. But digging for bargains is not something I enjoy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 5:55:39 PM
Author: princesss

Umm, yeah. My house!

Yssie, I think we're kitchen and earring soul mates. It can't be denied any longer!

9.gif

36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 4:37:12 PM
Author: HollyS
I would own a ''status symbol'' only if I truly valued the workmanship of the product. If I felt it was worth every penny because of its quality and excellence, and that this quality could not be duplicated elsewhere, and I could afford to own this object, then I might purchase based on these merits.

Owning something, especially an accessory, because it impresses - - anyone - - is pointlessly silly. For the owner, and the coveter.

I prefer to be charmed by the personality, character, wit, and self-deprecating humor in a person. I''m completely underwhelmed by their choice of outfits, accessories, jewelry, homes, or cars. And if it''s too important to them to have these things, I usually find them less than charming.
Me too. But if she''s charming, witty, self deprecating AND carries a designer bag, stylish in designer clothes and drives a hot car, I will have to hate her.
11.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to buy moderately expensive clothes not because of a status in the eyes of others but just to prove to myself that I was moving upwards in a new country. After all, the first year I lived in the US, spending $ 18.00 on a much-needed piece of lingerie was an exorbitant luxury. Luckily, Downtown Filene''s Basement in Boston would give one ample chances to broaden one''s wardrobe on a budget.

On the West Coast, clothes are less important. People dress casually. But houses are better since they are more affordable and cars seem to be a big issue. And I never made a big deal out of a car. I am driving a 2005- Toyota Camry which I bumped against someone else''s car and never had the time to replace the bumper. People (especially jewellers) give my car surprized looks. Honestly, I do not care just because to me car is just somethng you drive to get where you need to get. It has to be safe and that is all.

We bought an expensive house because these were the houses in our school district (and maybe as a symbol of status - we lived in a chicken coop in Boston) but never bought expensive furnuture for it, or anything else.

What I absolutely hate is when people in my neighborhood buy very expensive cars and then change them in three years and give their "old" cars to their kids. At my son''s high school, you could always tell which parking lot was for teachers (older, smaller cars) and which one was for students. I did not even buy my son a car since he never worked and did not earn money for one. He is a student now and drives an old car since he has not yet earned money for a better one.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely don't buy things just because they are status symbols. I buy things because I find them beautiful, or they make me look beautiful.

I've always loved fashion and was a costume design major in college, so I have what you could call a bit of a funky, edgy fashion sense. People are constantly asking me where I find my clothes, and my answers are usually Nordstrom Rack, Loehmanns, a thrift store, Target, or "this dress used to be two shirts and a throw, but I tore them apart and made them into this."

Typically, if something can be identified as a particular brand or designer for the masses, I'm not that interested in it because it must be very ordinary. I prefer unique.

I grew up in a very faceless suburb of Chicago. There was a very particular look that all of the teen girls wore when I was growing up--Birkenstocks, $100+ jeans from a particular store in a nearby suburb, North Face jackets, and Coach purses. How boring! I spent a lot of time in thrift stores tearing things apart and making new clothes for myself and my best girlfriends. We definitely looked better, I must say!

It's clear that the items or labels that are considered status symbols vary from place to place. I was surprised to see Winks include Steve Madden shoes as status symbols, for example. Those are very popular among the teens in my area, and I wore them as a high schooler. Coach handbags also seem very "young" and not at all status symbols to me for that very same reason. The same goes for North Face fleeces.

In my current town there is definitely an "outfit" that I see most of the women wearing. I couldn't tell you what they're wearing, though, because I really don't care to look like everyone else so I haven't a clue.
9.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I do not buy things because they are status symbols associated with the upper class, but I would say that my taste--and therefore what I buy--generally reflect my social statuses.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kind of avoid status symbols. Given the choice I would rather have the generic no-name bag over a brand if they were equal in quality or close to it. I like anonymity. I am huge on textures and quality and will pay more for that... but for example here in China there are SO MANY rip offs and while some may be able to tell the differences in style, not everyone can. I could fake it but what''s the point? Many do because they are seeking the status symbol. I don''t get that. I mean I do, but not in a way that makes sense to me at this point in my life. I DID require a triangle with a question mark in it while I was in high school. No other jeans no matter how well made would do. It was a status thing, but I feel like I have out grown that.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 12:01:45 PM
Author: kenny
No, I do seek out high quality but I detest the whole status symbol way of improving self worth.

Most of my clothes come from the thrift store.

I look for quality cotton shirts and frequently they will have a designer logo sewn in on the chest.

When I get it home I''ll carefully remove it with a new razor blade.

After a couple washings you usually can''t tell it was there.

Besides, I don''t like being walking billboard unless they mail me checks.
I don''t think I''d go through the hassle of removing a tag just because I''m lazy but I would purchase the shirt independent of any labeling. I DO however feel very strongly about free advertising. You want me to wear this around and encourage other people to buy your stuff? How about you leave your name off of it and I can either a) brag about the quality or b) have others ask what it is based on the quality they see.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I definitely HAVE bought things because they are status symbols. Unfortunately, the small Korean community in my hometown is VERY brand and status obsessed and growing up, I bought into that. I liked my LVs, etc. But I think moving away and living in the city has helped refocus my perspective. Now I buy things because they look nice and are well-made. I like my Rebecca Minkoff bag, because it''s gorgeous and durable and roomy, but I can assure you, none of the Korean ladies back home have any idea who RM is or that it''s even designer. I don''t give a flying fig. I love my bag.

Mostly though, I like designer stuff because it is made well. My mom has a LV purse that''s over 20 years old (that my grandma gave her). We replaced the zipper and it''s still in great shape.

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
This thread made me recall a great, science fictionish book called "Pattern Recognition." The protagonist in this book hase allergic reactions to any labeling on clothing, or marketing, etc. She has an especially bad one to the Michelin Man. That''s not all there is to the story, of course. It''s a good read.

I''m from Colorado, near Boulder, so I never see LV bags, but I do see beat up cars where the ski equipment on top is worth twice the blue book value of the car. Status depends on area.

BG

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I buy something because I like it, not because of what people will think of me because of the cost.

Date: 6/18/2010 7:10:27 PM
Author: BoulderGal

I''m from Colorado, near Boulder, so I never see LV bags, but I do see beat up cars where the ski equipment on top is worth twice the blue book value of the car. Status depends on area.

BG

BG- This made me laugh, but is so true. My co-workers mountain bike is far more expensive than her car.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results