shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you caught strangers oogling your bling?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Fi.Z|1364557247|3415844 said:
justginger|1364549488|3415817 said:
Very timely post - I was at the chemist yesterday and the woman next to me about hit the roof over my ring. She exclaimed how beautiful it was, asked if it was real, asked where I got, only just cut herself off before asking how much it cost. It was pretty overwhelming actually - she was calling other customers over to look at it. :???:

I've had other people comment in kind, complimenting ways, which is always nice. It's lovely to meet other people who enjoy beautiful jewelery as well. :))

Justginger, I think THAT is experience we all want to have! :bigsmile: But even as PSers, even we would hit the roof catching a glimpse of your beauty IRL!

What would you answer to "how much does it cost?"? Would you just say the truth or dance around it? Maybe it depends on who the person is? She wasn't subtle at all! I admire her bluntness... sure, I'd kinda want to know but I probably wouldn't ask someone that...

When someone asks if either of my rings are real, I always say yes, and mention jewelry being a personal splurge. I have had at least half a dozen people ask point blank how much the larger one cost. I think it may be because diamonds are so incredibly overpriced in Australia - if I had purchased my ring here, it would have quite literally been twice the price I paid from OWD. I think people have a hard time wrapping their minds around that sort of number for a sub-30 year old from a normal financial background.

I've perfected my answer, after going through a few stages of various tries. First I would give a range, "Somewhere between $X and $Y." Then I thought, "Damn, it's not any of their business, stop feeling like YOU'RE the rude one for not wanting to answer!" So then the next couple of people copped a very frank, "I find that question a bit rude, and am not comfortable discussing personal finances with you." But now, I've got it. My standard answer is, "About two years of overtime." :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1364561117|3415869 said:
Very timely post - I was at the chemist yesterday and the woman next to me about hit the roof over my ring. She exclaimed how beautiful it was, asked if it was real, asked where I got, only just cut herself off before asking how much it cost. It was pretty overwhelming actually - she was calling other customers over to look at it. :???:

I've had other people comment in kind, complimenting ways, which is always nice. It's lovely to meet other people who enjoy beautiful jewelery as well. :))

Justginger, I think THAT is experience we all want to have! :bigsmile: But even as PSers, even we would hit the roof catching a glimpse of your beauty IRL!

What would you answer to "how much does it cost?"? Would you just say the truth or dance around it? Maybe it depends on who the person is? She wasn't subtle at all! I admire her bluntness... sure, I'd kinda want to know but I probably wouldn't ask someone that...

When someone asks if either of my rings are real, I always say yes, and mention jewelry being a personal splurge. I have had at least half a dozen people ask point blank how much the larger one cost. I think it may be because diamonds are so incredibly overpriced in Australia - if I had purchased my ring here, it would have quite literally been twice the price I paid from OWD. I think people have a hard time wrapping their minds around that sort of number for a sub-30 year old from a normal financial background.

I've perfected my answer, after going through a few stages of various tries. First I would give a range, "Somewhere between $X and $Y." Then I thought, "Damn, it's not any of their business, stop feeling like YOU'RE the rude one for not wanting to answer!" So then the next couple of people copped a very frank, "I find that question a bit rude, and am not comfortable discussing personal finances with you." But now, I've got it. My standard answer is, "About two years of overtime." :lol:

I like your answer JG. If someone asks me how much it totally depends on who they are.

First of all I think it is a rude question. Period. It's no one's business except mine and my dh's how much our things cost. But, in the past, when I was younger, I made the mistake of not setting boundaries with immediate family and close friends so they thought it was OK. Except now they don't because I set everyone straight (gently) a number of years back. It was hard at first but now friends/family rarely ask how much something costs.

If an acquaintance/stranger asks I smile and say that it is personal. If a friend/family member asks I say none of their business (and that it is rude to ask if it is my mom asking lol but she doesn't ask anymore). The reason I took a hard line with my mom is that she would balk at how much we were spending and it very much annoyed me as it was none of her business how we spent our money and then I realized it was my fault as I was enabling her to ask these questions by sharing such personal info with her.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
missy|1364562093|3415879 said:

I like your answer JG. If someone asks me how much it totally depends on who they are.

First of all I think it is a rude question. Period. It's no one's business except mine and my dh's how much our things cost. But, in the past, when I was younger I made the mistake of not setting boundaries with immediate family and close friends so they thought it was OK. Except now they don't because I set everyone straight (gently) a number of years back. It was hard at first but now friends/family rarely ask how much something costs.

If an acquaintance/stranger asks I smile and say that it is personal. If a friend/family member asks I say none of their business (and that it is rude to ask if it is my mom asking lol but she doesn't ask anymore). The reason I took a hard line with my mom is that she would balk at how much we were spending and it very much annoyed me as it was none of her business how we spent our money and then I realized it was my fault as I was enabling her to ask these questions by sharing such personal info with her.

Yes, it definitely depends on who the person is. When it is a close friend/family member, I just tell them. It's not a big secret, I'm not ashamed of my spending choices nor would any of them cast judgement. Coworkers got the range. New acquaintances (at uni now), they're the ones that get the line about overtime. I don't want to turn things awkward by shutting them down, nor do I think it's any of their business as to the exact figure. It's a relief to finally have a response that will be truthful, answer the question, and give them a bit of a giggle too.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Missy- I know right?! MOMS! As much as I would love to share EVERYTHING with my mom, she just can't keep judgement to herself!!! She is VERY blunt so I avoid talking finances and what we spend on luxuries. My parents would keep things forever... EVEN if they are broken so they think for us to buy new stuff, even used stuff... stuff we don't NEED per se.. oof! My mom always has a word or two or two million to share! The worst is when she pipes in about my parenting... WHILE I am parenting! That should be in another thread tho! :lol: :roll:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1364562535|3415881 said:
missy|1364562093|3415879 said:

First of all I think it is a rude question. Period. It's no one's business except mine and my dh's how much our things cost. But, in the past, when I was younger I made the mistake of not setting boundaries with immediate family and close friends so they thought it was OK. Except now they don't because I set everyone straight (gently) a number of years back. It was hard at first but now friends/family rarely ask how much something costs.

Yes, it definitely depends on who the person is. When it is a close friend/family member, I just tell them. It's not a big secret, I'm not ashamed of my spending choices nor would any of them cast judgement. Coworkers got the range. New acquaintances (at uni now), they're the ones that get the line about overtime. I don't want to turn things awkward by shutting them down, nor do I think it's any of their business as to the exact figure. It's a relief to finally have a response that will be truthful, answer the question, and give them a bit of a giggle too.

Fi.Z|1364562670|3415882 said:
@Missy- I know right?! MOMS! As much as I would love to share EVERYTHING with my mom, she just can't keep judgement to herself!!! She is VERY blunt so I avoid talking finances and what we spend on luxuries. My parents would keep things forever... EVEN if they are broken so they think for us to buy new stuff, even used stuff... stuff we don't NEED per se.. oof! My mom always has a word or two or two million to share! The worst is when she pipes in about my parenting... WHILE I am parenting! That should be in another thread tho! :lol: :roll:

I totally agree JG and totally commiserate Fi.Z.

If you can answer with humor that's always a good thing. For me, my family would and does cast judgment and that is why I answer the way I do. I am not ashamed of how we spend our money at all but I do not care to have to deal with people who think they know better. I am at the age where I feel like I can just say the truth. It's none of your damn business. Without the damn ofc. Usually. :cheeky:

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oops! I also forgot the one time when I was getting my hair done... I knew the owner was Bulgarian (like my DH), and her daughter was the person doing my hair. After I told her my DH was Bulgarian... she later grabbed my hand and said "A Bulgarian was able to give you THAT?! OMG!" Mm... not so nice for the BulgariansM My DH chuckled when he heard that ;-)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get lots of compliments and I'm always very flattered. I've never had anyone ask me if it was real though. Mostly they want to know what kind of stone it is. One time in the grocery store I kept passing this guy that kept looking at me funny and I was getting a little concerned when he finally stopped me and said that my ring was the most gorgeous thing he had ever seen and how much his wife would love to have one like that. :lol: When I was in PT for my shoulder the PT assistant was this cute young guy. One day he told me my ring must be very expensive and cost at least $3,000. I didn't have the heart to tell him how far off he was. I just said umm yes it cost at least $3,000.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom|1364562975|3415886 said:
I get lots of compliments and I'm always very flattered. I've never had anyone ask me if it was real though. Mostly they want to know what kind of stone it is. One time in the grocery store I kept passing this guy that kept looking at me funny and I was getting a little concerned when he finally stopped me and said that my ring was the most gorgeous thing he had ever seen and how much his wife would love to have one like that. :lol: When I was in PT for my shoulder the PT assistant was this cute young guy. One day he told me my ring must be very expensive and cost at least $3,000. I didn't have the heart to tell him how far off he was. I just said umm yes it cost at least $3,000.

LOL I know what you mean! At work, a long time ago, a medical assistant asked me how much my ring cost...he said it must be at least 5K right? Hahaha. I wish! Ofc I did not tell him how much my ring cost. Though he now knows those kind of questions are not acceptable.
It is interesting how many of the general public (who are not into jewelry) are not aware of how much jewelry actually costs.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I almost forgot - a week or two ago our work experience boy (so he's doing the same program as me in uni, but is only at my workplace on temporary placement) was fixated on my ring. Actually, not so much the ring so much as the concept that I MUST be married to a doctor to get a ring "like that." He also said something along the lines of, "There's no way that cost less than what, four or five thousand dollars?!" :lol:

I assured him that I had actually purchased it for myself, and didn't need a bloody doctor of a husband to do it for me. :bigsmile:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Since I upgraded to my 2ct I have had more people compliment my ring (especially after I had my Emilya setting). I also have an emerald bracelet that if I wear draws a lot of attention. But no one has directly asked about it.

When I upgraded to Venice I noticed she gets watched a lot but actually no one has EVER said anything to me about her. They just look- I think for my area people just assume she is fake I guess :bigsmile:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I rarely have people admire - but I very often compliment other people's jewelry. I see a lot of spectacular jewels through my work. I love to admire them!

My mom asks me how much everything I have costs. And if I tell her she immediately shares her opinion on the price. Sheesh. Last time I answered "somewhere between indulgent and irresponsible." It may be my new go to line!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1364565168|3415905 said:
I rarely have people admire - but I very often compliment other people's jewelry. I see a lot of spectacular jewels through my work. I love to admire them!

My mom asks me how much everything I have costs. And if I tell her she immediately shares her opinion on the price. Sheesh. Last time I answered "somewhere between indulgent and irresponsible." It may be my new go to line!

Love this! However, it wouldn't work with my mom because to her I am both when it comes to spending money LOL. I assure you, I am not irresponsible. Indulgent perhaps- but hey, life is hard and short and I think it is OK to do whatever you can (as long as you can afford to) to make it that much more lovely and enjoyable. :halo:

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
Yes I have had strangers (well, people in the workplace) comment on my ring and then assume based on my profession that I bought/paid for my own engagement ring.....on more than one occasion. I think that is weird to assume I would buy my own ring instead of my husband. But I usually get more comments on my diamond studs (again from people in the workplace)--not that they are lovely etc--but constantly asking "Are they real?" They will actually pull other people over to look at them, and then ask in front of other people if they are real. Super awkward.

What is it with the mothers and $$ comments? Its not like I am taking out a second mortgage to fund the bling.......My brother recently refused to tell her the amount of $$ he received in a settlement after a horrific car accident. When she kept pressuring him to tell her, he told her no, that she was "too d--n judgemental". Is this an unwritten side effect of menopause???

SB621

Ideal_Rock

You are my HERO! I'm so using that line from now on!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1364567038|3415927 said:

Ha me too!

I have a habit of shouting "ONE MILLION DOLLARS" in an overly dramatic way whenever anyone asks me how much anything costs. This includes say, my new white T shirt. :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1364523099|3415703 said:
manderz|1364522970|3415701 said:
I had a client (I work at an outpatient drug treatment facility) not only notice and comment, but ask if she could have one of my rings.
LOL, I think...hope she was kidding. :shock:

Work is another place I get comments. Though no one ever seriously asked if they could have my ring. But they did ask if I would adopt them. :bigsmile:
i RARELY if ever wear a ring to work anymore. I might wear a plain band if anything besides just being practical for needing to use my hands and otherwise not wearing them. We deal with a lot of folks that are unemployed here (I changed types of agencies a while back) and I feel like kind of a jerk if I have it on. It's been commented on a few times to the effect of "that would pay my mortgage for a year and I wish I had not sold mine earlier to have it to sell now" or "I could feed my kids for a lifetime" and I feel like I am rubbing it in that I am employed and these perfectly employable people who really are victims of the economy--and this area is particularly hit hard lately--are just being forced to see that I am employed and they are not. So IF I wear them at work, it's because I have something going on that day maybe right after work, or I will be going somewhere after work and want them on for safety vs carrying them.

I do love the line about indulgent vs irresponsible.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been asked if my e-ring was real and how much it cost. I just say "I don't know, my husband bought it for me!" Even though our finances are combined, I manage our money, and I picked it all out myself. :cheeky:

I like your line though, justginger! :lol:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1364567732|3415944 said:
I have a habit of shouting "ONE MILLION DOLLARS" in an overly dramatic way whenever anyone asks me how much anything costs. This includes say, my new white T shirt. :bigsmile:

I like this one.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1364536026|3415781 said:
Laila619|1364534297|3415777 said:
Nope, never. :((

Doesn't matter what I wear, real diamonds, fakey rings, super blingy rings, plain--no one ever comments. I always hoped someone would notice or say something, but it's just not gonna happen I guess.

That just means your physical beauty is outshining your diamonds. ;))

I have random people "oogle" my ring sometimes when I'm working, but that's because I work in retail and when I'm talking to customers they see my hands. My diamond isn't really larger than average, but it's pretty, and the lighting in the store is, well, retail lighting, ya know.

Hehe, thanks Monarch! :D

I take that back, when I was newly engaged I got a few comments. But never after that.

Whenever I compliment people on their bling, they look at me like I'm some weirdo or like I want to rob them, lol. So I don't really do that anymore either.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1364532750|3415773 said:
I guess I was caught by a stranger oogling my own bling.......does that count?

I took a few pictures of of my everyday ring in Staples, using my phone's camera. Then everyone else had to come over and look at it. I wasn't trying to put on a show. It's just a funky old diamond with a huge table, but it really loves fluorescent lighting better than any other kind except sunlight. So I just wanted a picture. :lol:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
LOL at the responses to "how much did it cost."

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
rosetta said:
Sarahbear621|1364567038|3415927 said:

Ha me too!

I've also used "one million dollars!" I tend to be a touch dramatic at times. :)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I haven had his happen yet because I have no noticeable bling *yet* but I want to respond "one million dollars" über dramatically and with the Dr. Evil expression if someone were ever to ask me!! Hehe.

I ogle many of my patients' bling...lucky to work in a fairly nice suburb so see lots of moms with big rings! It's awesome. One lady has a 3ct emerald that is to die for, and my manager has a nice 2ct round with 4x0.25? sidestones on a tiny size 3.5-4 finger so I get to stare at that pretty frequently!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I don't get any comments asking how much a piece cost or if they are real, but I get lots of compliments on my jewellery collection. Being British, I don't have very large stones as that's not the cultural norm, but I have worked hard at putting together a very large collection of classic mix and match items with very high-quality specs. i.e. my pearls are akoyas or premier akoyas, the metal is 18k or plat where possible, the bezels are all perfectly made, the diamonds are all ideal or super-ideal, and mainly the brands are high-end such as Tiffany, DeBeers, WF, BGD etc. I've poured a lot of resources into my jewellery and the combined worth is a six-figure sum, but on any given day you'd never know it, as all of it is quite discreet. So I never get the "WOW, look at that!" comments, but I do get lots of nice remarks.

With my new double-D colour 1.12 ctw stud upgrade coming next week in their thick white gold bezels though, that might change!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1364576052|3416036 said:
monarch64|1364536026|3415781 said:
Laila619|1364534297|3415777 said:
Nope, never. :((

Doesn't matter what I wear, real diamonds, fakey rings, super blingy rings, plain--no one ever comments. I always hoped someone would notice or say something, but it's just not gonna happen I guess.

That just means your physical beauty is outshining your diamonds. ;))

I have random people "oogle" my ring sometimes when I'm working, but that's because I work in retail and when I'm talking to customers they see my hands. My diamond isn't really larger than average, but it's pretty, and the lighting in the store is, well, retail lighting, ya know.

Hehe, thanks Monarch! :D

I take that back, when I was newly engaged I got a few comments. But never after that.

Whenever I compliment people on their bling, they look at me like I'm some weirdo or like I want to rob them, lol. So I don't really do that anymore either.

hahaha A few have looked at me like I'm a weirdo, too. There was one friend, though, who took off her jewelry when I complimented her and let me look at all of it. She told me all about the purchasing process and everything. It was awesome because she loved to talk about her experinces and clearly is a diamond lover, like I am. I don't ask people anymore...ever since that time I complimented and the gal said they were CZs. (lol!)

Normally, only jewelers compliment me. Everyone else just looks at my diamonds when talking to me, UNLESS, they already know me well enough to ask about a piece. Mostly they glance at what I am wearing, just as I do w/other people.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an absolutely RIDICULOUS experience today I am gonna update this with...I got some SERIOUS shade thrown at me and my friends today.

My friends and I went to check out a fairly new vegan restaurant in a part of town that borders some SERIOUS money, that is also not exactly broke, but butts up to a big college-y part of town. I had my rings on, and actually wore my studs today as well, to with my outfit consisting of jeans that I managed to rip a giant (almost visible) hole in the upper thigh/crotch region of on my way there but didn't have time to go back and change out of, my target tshirt and lane bryant cami, and my bought on clearanceclearance from Lucy hoodie and my converse, with wet hair and a little makeup and my nice leather LP bag. I got no less than FOUR people commenting on my giant blood diamonds while we were there. The first one was like seconds after we walked in and grabbed a table for the three of us in the corner while we wee waiting for our other friend while we were reading the menu and deciding what we wanted to go order. I got a snide "are you going to teach your baby about the people you murdered to own that giant blood diamond you're wearing?" I was like "what baby?" (my weight is in my middle, so people assume I am pregnant sometimes) My friend said "unless she's not told me yet, she's not pregnant, mind your own damn business". That person was mumbling and staring at me til their food order was ready and they left in a huff, spouting about how they'd lost their appetite after seeing such ignorance in all it's glory or something.

Then not 10 minutes later we got another comment from a couple sitting at the counter while my other friend and I ordered about how there are more ethical diamond alternatives out there, we shouldn't perpetuate murder to flaunt our "giant sparkling riches". She wears a 1ct Marquise that is quite nice as well. We both just glared at them. My friend from before was sitting at the table like "damn am I glad I came looking like a scrub in a plain band..." bec she had a garage sale at her home this morning.

After we were done eating and walking to our cars a little while later, ANOTHER comment was hurled at me that I think the one friend also heard, about how I shouldn't bother concerning myself with green eating and living if I am going to patronize blood industries like DeBeers, and wear leather (my purse). That I was a murderer and I will be punished for wearing murder.

I got in my car and had a group text from the one girl saying "next time we come here, we might need to look like hippies or something. Because that was RIDICULOUS. I guess being a vegetarian for 20 years doesn't offset the murderer in me because I had a desire for a nice diamond, even if it's canadian and ethical!" It was so weird! But the food was friggin awesome despite the drama!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I would stare them down and say, firmly: "I inherited them. All of them. From my great aunt." And go back to eating or whatever I was doing when they interrupted me.

And just let the thought of that p__s them off even more. Even if it's a lie. LOL

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, ame that is an awful experience! I'm sorry you had to go through that! How judgmental (and factually wrong but that's beside the point) are these people! :nono: Ugh!! I frequent vegan restaurants often and I have never encountered something like this... They really do a disservice to vegetarians/vegans everywhere. Again, so sorry you had such an unpleasant encounter and hope you are OK.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh we're all fine, takes a lot more than that to get any of us down. We're kind of laughing about it now. Facts were not important to these people, at all. Apparently neither were showers. Surely because I showered today that was going to be the next commentary. How many drops of water did I murder to wash my hair and my butt? But I digress. The two girls I was with have been veg for the entire 25 years I've know them and neither can recount a similar experience, I certainly don't recall anything similar from any of our prior vegetarian dining experiences, this was quite spectacular. I know the girl at the register looked absolutely mortified/terrified of what was going on, I don't think she was the owner though, but she was totally uncomfortable. Any other time I would've absolutely responded with something equally obnoxious, probably like "yea i truly enjoyed whipping Jacques and Antonio to near death while they mined it for me", but today we just had enough going on between the three of us, and I just was not in the mood to get arrested. If we go back and have a similar experience I have a feeling my claws will come out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1364688486|3417004 said:
Oh we're all fine, takes a lot more than that to get any of us down. We're kind of laughing about it now. Facts were not important to these people, at all. Apparently neither were showers. Surely because I showered today that was going to be the next commentary. How many drops of water did I murder to wash my hair and my butt? But I digress. The two girls I was with have been veg for the entire 25 years I've know them and neither can recount a similar experience, I certainly don't recall anything similar from any of our prior vegetarian dining experiences, this was quite spectacular. I know the girl at the register looked absolutely mortified/terrified of what was going on, I don't think she was the owner though, but she was totally uncomfortable. Any other time I would've absolutely responded with something equally obnoxious, probably like "yea i truly enjoyed whipping Jacques and Antonio to near death while they mined it for me", but today we just had enough going on between the three of us, and I just was not in the mood to get arrested. If we go back and have a similar experience I have a feeling my claws will come out.

LOL I get that. I would've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a witty comeback once I recovered from the initial shock of it all cause that really is shocking and upsetting. Why do some people have to be so judgy?? Pisses me off. I like the comment you suggested about Jacques and Antonio hahaha. Don't think you would've been arrested but hey they might have thrown red paint on you and your friends so better just to ignore them. Stupid people. Hard to ignore but usually the best option. I sometimes have trouble ignoring stupid comments but should know better. It's never usually worth the energy and time. Glad you guys still had a good day!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results