shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you caught strangers oogling your bling?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have always wondered if anyone has ever experienced having complete strangers come up to them to admire their sparklies. For example, has anyone had a stranger come up to you and ask "omigosh! That is sooo pretty! Is that real?!!" Especially for those who are lucky enough to have a larger than average rock? I would love to hear your stories!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fi.Z|1364518924|3415634 said:
I have always wondered if anyone has ever experienced having complete strangers come up to them to admire their sparklies. For example, has anyone had a stranger come up to you and ask "omigosh! That is sooo pretty! Is that real?!!" Especially for those who are lucky enough to have a larger than average rock? I would love to hear your stories!
Many times, esp in restaurants. I always love it :) I don't really know if mine is "larger than average" but I have been asked more than a few times "is that real."

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
ame|1364521706|3415682 said:
Fi.Z|1364518924|3415634 said:
Many times, esp in restaurants. I always love it :) I don't really know if mine is "larger than average" but I have been asked more than a few times "is that real."

I've caught folks looking at my bling, but I never call them out on it, since I do the same thing :wink2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have. I don't mind at all. It can happen at the grocery store, when I'm clothing shopping etc. But depending on the circumstances, if I see some gorgeous bling I just might compliment the stranger vs just oogling. It depends. And I don't mind it when people I don't know ask me about my bling either. I love admiring and talking about bling. I never get tired of that. :lickout: :love:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I had a client (I work at an outpatient drug treatment facility) not only notice and comment, but ask if she could have one of my rings.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1364522970|3415701 said:
I had a client (I work at an outpatient drug treatment facility) not only notice and comment, but ask if she could have one of my rings.
LOL, I think...hope she was kidding. :shock:

Work is another place I get comments. Though no one ever seriously asked if they could have my ring. But they did ask if I would adopt them. :bigsmile:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1364523099|3415703 said:

Work is another place I get comments. Though no one ever seriously asked if they could have my ring. But they did ask if I would adopt them. :bigsmile:

Nope, dead serious, and totally thought it was a reasonable request. Even followed up about it later, and asked again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1364523849|3415713 said:

Nope, dead serious, and totally thought it was a reasonable request. Even followed up about it later, and asked again.

Was she on drugs at the time? I mean, that is a scary request and I would reconsider wearing any of my bling there! Please stay safe!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm hmm. Funny, I get more compliments and "is it real?!" on my .7 pear in halo... And no one notices my 2ct in an Edwardian finger-covering ring.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I get lots of compliments but no one ever asks if it is real. They usually say it is so pretty, the design is so nice, the diamond is huge ...

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1364524415|3415722 said:
manderz|1364523849|3415713 said:

Was she on drugs at the time? I mean, that is a scary request and I would reconsider wearing any of my bling there! Please stay safe!!!

TBH, I don't know the answer to that question. I think she had some mental health and cognitive deficiencies as well (comorbidity rates of substance use and mental health issues is pretty high), but c'est la vie. That is all part of what we're trying to help treat and manage, to make these folks lives easier. I have NEVER, EVER felt even remotely not safe at my job. Not even for a moment. Uncomfortable? Sure. Challenged? Most definitely. But really, that's to be expected with the field. There are plenty of precautions in place to make sure we are working in a safe environment.

Sorry for the thread jack!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one time my wife and i was having dinner at this restaurant. a lady stop by our table and she asked if my wife's ring was real. :o ..i should have asked her "if her boobs were real".. :devil: even though i knew they were silicones... :lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Yes, today....but it was embarrassing because I was running up what I thought was an empty staircase at work, with one hand stuck out, taking peeks at my left hand,watching my diamonds sparkle under amazing stairwell lighting....when I heard a voice come from the floor above me saying...."Yes, your rings are beautiful!"

I guess I was caught by a stranger oogling my own bling.......does that count?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1364532750|3415773 said:
Yes, today....but it was embarrassing because I was running up what I thought was an empty staircase at work, with one hand stuck out, taking peeks at my left hand,watching my diamonds sparkle under amazing stairwell lighting....when I heard a voice come from the floor above me saying...."Yes, your rings are beautiful!"

:lol:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, never. :((

Doesn't matter what I wear, real diamonds, fakey rings, super blingy rings, plain--no one ever comments. I always hoped someone would notice or say something, but it's just not gonna happen I guess.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1364534297|3415777 said:

Doesn't matter what I wear, real diamonds, fakey rings, super blingy rings, plain--no one ever comments. I always hoped someone would notice or say something, but it's just not gonna happen I guess.

That just means your physical beauty is outshining your diamonds. ;))

I have random people "oogle" my ring sometimes when I'm working, but that's because I work in retail and when I'm talking to customers they see my hands. My diamond isn't really larger than average, but it's pretty, and the lighting in the store is, well, retail lighting, ya know.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Galateia|1364533590|3415776 said:

:lol:
:lol: :lol:

Yes, I've had people ogle. I usually love it. I also ogle others jewelry, unobtrusively I hope. :oops: And I complement others where appropriate.
I've had a couple of hand-grabbers during a conversation about something else. We were talking and they suddenly noticed the ring.
I've had one person I work with come over to admire my e-ring and ask a couple of questions about it, only to say 'it's a bit over the top', laugh, and walk away! :roll: For goodness sake, the centre is less than a carat!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Very timely post - I was at the chemist yesterday and the woman next to me about hit the roof over my ring. She exclaimed how beautiful it was, asked if it was real, asked where I got, only just cut herself off before asking how much it cost. It was pretty overwhelming actually - she was calling other customers over to look at it. :???:

I've had other people comment in kind, complimenting ways, which is always nice. It's lovely to meet other people who enjoy beautiful jewelery as well. :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
One time at Tiffany I was helping a customer find something for his wife -- except he kept pointing at my bracelet -- 18K rose gold braided thin wires about 2" wide (not Tiffany's) -- and asking how much I wanted for it. German guy. I treated it like a joke but he kept it up; he was serious. I should've said $10,000. :))

Occasionally friends will ask about a ring or something. No strangers have, except the guy above. I do it all the time to people whose bling I notice -- & am surprised how often they seem embarrassed or un-thrilled, like they expect me to rip it off them.

--- Laurie

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
All the time. Usually happens when I'm writing and holding the paper/ receipt down with my left hand. I also usually get complemented in jewelry stores by the sales staff. Is it big, not really, but it is unusual, and those little ACA melee are crazy little eye catching disco balls.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1364550321|3415821 said:
One time at Tiffany I was helping a customer find something for his wife -- except he kept pointing at my bracelet -- 18K rose gold braided thin wires about 2" wide (not Tiffany's) -- and asking how much I wanted for it. German guy. I treated it like a joke but he kept it up; he was serious. I should've said $10,000. :))

Occasionally friends will ask about a ring or something. No strangers have, except the guy above. I do it all the time to people whose bling I notice -- & am surprised how often they seem embarrassed or un-thrilled, like they expect me to rip it off them.

--- Laurie
while no one has tried to buy my jewelry off my body, I have learned to be prepared for questions like these. DH collects classic cars and people often approach us and ask if they are for sale. People will even come to the door asking. While none are technically for sale, everything has a price, and if someone is stupid enough to make an overinflated impulse buy, I'm all for it.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
When I worked at a school temporarily I had another co-worker always talk about my ring in front of other people. It always made me feel uncomfortable because I don't want to make a big deal about it. She even asked once how much it cost. I think it is rude for people to ask that.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1364531169|3415771 said:
one time my wife and i was having dinner at this restaurant. a lady stop by our table and she asked if my wife's ring was real. :o ..i should have asked her "if her boobs were real".. :devil: even though i knew they were silicones... :lol:

That is what got me to start this thread... what 'smart' response can I give to " is that real?"... " no, it is just your imagination." nah... sounds kinda lame...

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

:lol: :lol: I can picture that happening to me! I stare at my bling all the time, especially on my fingers and when .i am public, I try to do it kinda casually :lol: 8-)

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1364534297|3415777 said:

Probably doesn't happen everyday. The only time someone has ever commented on my ring was a loooooong time ago... and it was my high school grad ring with a not so blingy CZ ;-)

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
justginger|1364549488|3415817 said:
Very timely post - I was at the chemist yesterday and the woman next to me about hit the roof over my ring. She exclaimed how beautiful it was, asked if it was real, asked where I got, only just cut herself off before asking how much it cost. It was pretty overwhelming actually - she was calling other customers over to look at it. :???:

I've had other people comment in kind, complimenting ways, which is always nice. It's lovely to meet other people who enjoy beautiful jewelery as well. :))

Justginger, I think THAT is experience we all want to have! :bigsmile: But even as PSers, even we would hit the roof catching a glimpse of your beauty IRL!

What would you answer to "how much does it cost?"? Would you just say the truth or dance around it? Maybe it depends on who the person is? She wasn't subtle at all! I admire her bluntness... sure, I'd kinda want to know but I probably wouldn't ask someone that...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I've had many people compliment me on my bling- but never had anyone ask if it is real. :-o

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Only in jewellery stores. Never anywhere else.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have often caught people looking at my hands - and I love it when I catch them, because I'll end up using my hands to talk EVEN more, just to keep them staring at my rings!! hahahaha!!!

A good friend of ours has used my help to purchase a few items for his wife. The next thing he wants to purchase is a 1/2 eternity band. He grabbed my hand and said "I want *YOUR* ring!" I laughed and thought - sure, buy it from me, I'll up grade when I repurchase a new one!! ;))

I have had clients ask me if my rings are real - and I usually tell them, no, they are just fakes. I feel that's the better option in some situations.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

That is hilarious! The voice from above was right. Was it......God? :cheeky: :-o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results