Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you bought pre loved jewellery since joining PS?

Have you bought pre loved jewellery since joining PS?

  • Yes

    Votes: 51 81.0%
  • No

    Votes: 12 19.0%

  • Total voters
    63

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
1,166
I've always been interested in jewellery but until joining PS it never occurred to me to buy it pre loved! Since joining I have bought items from several PS-ers and my e-ring stone from the former JBeG. I started with the OEC from JBeG (which felt pretty safe though still strange to make such a large purchase online), then I made a small $$ purchase from a PSer who seemed to have a fairly substantial history on PS. To me, it seemed a great way to make my money go farther. Of course, it can mean sacrificing getting exactly what you want (eg custom).

If you have or have not bought pre loved since joining PS, please share why.
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
I have bought pre-loved jewelry since joining PS, but I don't think it was because of PS. I found pre-loved items in stores in my nearest city under my own steam. I developed a greater love for jewelry, and then PS plus further shopping of all kinds followed. The biggest PS influence for me has been learning about super-ideal-cuts and relevant vendors such as WF and BGD. I don't think I could ever buy a diamond solitaire ring or pendant or stud earrings with less than a top-grade cut, now that I have seen the difference between those other cuts.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Only since joining PS here too. Never occurred to me until I was looking for an affordable wedding band on Pearlmans and looked at the pre-owned items. Since then, pretty much 90% of my jewelry purchases have been pre-loved. It just makes sense.
 

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
9,512
I loved Antique jewellery and Antique furniture long before here, I have bought more since joining here that is all :lol:
 

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
1,857
Yes, I have. PS has given me the confidence to trust certain retailers. I know what to look for in terms of appraisals and certificates now. In the last few years I have managed to find a diamond tennis bracelet, FLY diamond RHR and a VCA Alhambra necklace, all at significantly lower prices than retail. It is fantastic to own these pieces and I'm actually very grateful for all the information on this site! I do still buy some things brand new but these tend to be smaller items.
 

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 23, 2011
Messages
3,021
Yes I have. I check the pre-loved forum daily. Both of my bracelets were purchased from PSers, at a substantial savings over buying new.

I also bought a pair of WF ACA studs from a Ps member & those diamonds became two of the stones in my five stone ring.

I didn't have a paypal account or shop on ebay when I joined PS. Reading here gave me the confidence to buy a channel set baguette 3/4 eternity band on ebay, it's one of my favorite pieces & I scored it for $4k less than the same carat weight would have cost new from a jeweler.

I could not justify spending the money on the above pieces at full retail. I have also purchased many pieces direct, but still believe I got the best value for my money.

I love feeling that I've made smart purchases.
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
Yes, I probably never would have bought pre-loved before PS. But my first big pre-loved item was diamond earrings--the stones were selected by a PSer and set into BGD settings, so I felt pretty confident about that purchase. I am still really happy with those earrings, both how they look and what I paid. ;))

I also purchased my upgrade stone from a PSer (all the way from Australia) but the stone had originally been from Love Affair Diamonds, so again, that gave me a lot of confidence that it was a good purchase. I also have a few stacking bands that I'd never have been able to buy at retail prices, but because they were $100-200 each, it wasn't a big loss if they didn't turn out to be favorites, but I've kept all of them.

Also, PSers helped me buy my 5-stone ring on eBay--I may have risked it without their input, but having the encouragement of some longtime posters (Enerchi being the main one) convinced my husband. He literally said, "Show it to Pricescopers, if they say it's a good buy, get it" so that was awesome. :bigsmile:
 

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
1,166
Sounds like many of you have had good experiences buying pre loved.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who answered 'no'. Any particular reason? Security, haven't seen anything that grabbed you? There's definitely risks involved.
 

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
3,525
Yes, several times. Not just from some fine PS'ers, but resale sites, ebay, vendors, etc.
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
Only since joining PS. I would never have thought to buy preloved before. My purchases have been from PS members so far mostly from LT. I have only bought off eBay once, but the funny part is that it turned out to be a PSer anyway! :dance:
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,789
Yes, but only a few smaller things. I like the cost savings, and I think the pieces I've gotten were great value for the price. I could have spent the same at a mall jeweler and gotten terrible diamonds/quality work, so it was worth it to me.

I've never really purchased off of ebay, and still have apprehension about it. But I'm comfortable using paypal and the various sites listed on our preloved forum.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,717
I've gotten a couple things pre-loved, most recently my Kwiat band, which was a super awesome score.
 

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
2,368
Ive been buying preloved (mostly pawned) jewelry for probably 20 years, from eBay about 5. And, yes, since I joined PS.

My pawn store has an upgrade/trade-in feature where you get full price paid on another item double the trade in price. I've utilized that trade up policy multiple times ;-)

I'd have to say that since PS, my knowledge has increased and, likewise, the quality of my purchases has also increased. For Xmas last, I actually bought preloved BGD earrings!
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
I haven't bought anything from a Pricescoper. It's true that nothing in pre-loved has been right for me. But look, not to sound mega-suspicious or anything, but I've posted my jewelry here and so I don't want anyone to have my real name or address, which is information involved in a transaction. They could be anybody or they could pass it on to anybody. Once the info is out, someone knows where the jewelry is and where my home is, and they could give that info to anyone. I have it on good authority that at least one person here is not only a total con artist but likes to destroy others in real life where possible if she takes a dislike to you, and I wouldn't want my information being passed unawares to that person, for example. I prefer to keep a total firewall between me and PS. Not even the admin has my real name and I'm very cagey about my current location - I don't discuss the weather, for example. You can't be too careful. There are some seriously disturbed people out there....and the sheer number of lurkers worries me, too. It's as if we're all at home together chatting about our lifestyles and where we live and showing all our expensive jewelry, with the curtains open and the door unlocked. Anyone could be piecing it all together to find your location. As far as PS is concerned, for security purposes, I'm Ms Nobody from Nowhere!

Actually, the last five words of that sentence pretty much describes me anyway! :lol:
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
There was a poster named Granny who bought some awesome things at pawnstores!
 

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
3,903
No I have not but did buy a tennis bracelet from Wink in 2004, a parcel of round FIY diamonds also from Wink (sourced by Paul Sleggers) for a bracelet and pendant, had a sapphire recut by Richard Homer, and my cut to order CBI. Overall, not too many projects compared to many of you.
 

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
1,166
ringo865|1453925667|3982501 said:
Ive been buying preloved (mostly pawned) jewelry for probably 20 years, from eBay about 5. And, yes, since I joined PS.

My pawn store has an upgrade/trade-in feature where you get full price paid on another item double the trade in price. I've utilized that trade up policy multiple times ;-)

I'd have to say that since PS, my knowledge has increased and, likewise, the quality of my purchases has also increased. For Xmas last, I actually bought preloved BGD earrings!
Oh my that is a fantastic trade up policy and at a pawnshop, no less!!
 

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
1,166
Jambalaya|1453926244|3982505 said:
I haven't bought anything from a Pricescoper. It's true that nothing in pre-loved has been right for me. But look, not to sound mega-suspicious or anything, but I've posted my jewelry here and so I don't want anyone to have my real name or address, which is information involved in a transaction. They could be anybody or they could pass it on to anybody. Once the info is out, someone knows where the jewelry is and where my home is, and they could give that info to anyone. I have it on good authority that at least one person here is not only a total con artist but likes to destroy others in real life where possible if she takes a dislike to you, and I wouldn't want my information being passed unawares to that person, for example. I prefer to keep a total firewall between me and PS. Not even the admin has my real name and I'm very cagey about my current location - I don't discuss the weather, for example. You can't be too careful. There are some seriously disturbed people out there....and the sheer number of lurkers worries me, too. It's as if we're all at home together chatting about our lifestyles and where we live and showing all our expensive jewelry, with the curtains open and the door unlocked. Anyone could be piecing it all together to find your location. As far as PS is concerned, for security purposes, I'm Ms Nobody from Nowhere!

Actually, the last five words of that sentence pretty much describes me anyway! :lol:
Those are all very good points. It's so easy to get comfortable and assume that everyone is like-minded and trust worthy. I'm slightly paranoid now...
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
maccers|1453930556|3982554 said:
Jambalaya|1453926244|3982505 said:
I haven't bought anything from a Pricescoper. It's true that nothing in pre-loved has been right for me. But look, not to sound mega-suspicious or anything, but I've posted my jewelry here and so I don't want anyone to have my real name or address, which is information involved in a transaction. They could be anybody or they could pass it on to anybody. Once the info is out, someone knows where the jewelry is and where my home is, and they could give that info to anyone. I have it on good authority that at least one person here is not only a total con artist but likes to destroy others in real life where possible if she takes a dislike to you, and I wouldn't want my information being passed unawares to that person, for example. I prefer to keep a total firewall between me and PS. Not even the admin has my real name and I'm very cagey about my current location - I don't discuss the weather, for example. You can't be too careful. There are some seriously disturbed people out there....and the sheer number of lurkers worries me, too. It's as if we're all at home together chatting about our lifestyles and where we live and showing all our expensive jewelry, with the curtains open and the door unlocked. Anyone could be piecing it all together to find your location. As far as PS is concerned, for security purposes, I'm Ms Nobody from Nowhere!

Actually, the last five words of that sentence pretty much describes me anyway! :lol:
Those are all very good points. It's so easy to get comfortable and assume that everyone is like-minded and trust worthy. I'm slightly paranoid now...
Paranoid is good, in my view. I know someone who got murdered because she was home alone and opened the door at night when she wasn't expecting anyone. It was a good, solid front door so she'd have been OK if she hadn't opened it, and her husband was only away temporarily. The guy just thought he'd try his luck - so she trustingly opened it and he killed her almost immediately, and she lived in a good area, too. He was a neighbor, who she knew, but only by sight - not to speak to. Perhaps she knew it was him and thought she was safe because he was a known face, but I never, ever answer the door unless I am expecting a well-known, trusted person or a package. No way. I am completely suspicious of everyone, including acquaintances and neighbors. You could be living next to anyone - as indeed that woman was, and he was an apparently respectable professional with a PhD, as well! I think an architect. But examination of his computer revealed some very depraved tendencies. He had basically worked himself up and wanted to kill, and then lay in wait for her to get home. If only she hadn't opened that door. Such a pity. Trust no one!
 

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
906
My 1st used jewelry purchase happened in 1992. That was a long time before Pricescope. I was fortunate enough to live in a city that had estate jewelry dealers and also above average pawn shops. :)
 

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
2,649
I haven't bought any preloved jewelry, but I did purchase a colored stone (my pink tourmaline) from Freke a few years ago.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,147
Not knowingly.

Of course (unless you took the DF route of commissioning the cut of rough with pics to prove it) every 'new' diamond may be used, re-polished, regraded, and sold as new.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,509
Bought a .85ct G SI1 ACA from Marymm.

photo_1176.jpg
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,509
kenny|1453935331|3982623 said:
Not knowingly.

Of course (unless you took the DF route of commissioning the cut of rough with pics to prove it) every 'new' diamond may be used, re-polished, regraded, and sold as new.
Yup, a guarantee virgin.. :!: :lol:
 

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,362
Yes, I have purchased almost exclusively pre-loved since joining PS. It is here that I discovered my love for antique and vintage, which of course is all pre-loved. A lot of people think it is strange that I have someone else's initials in my wedding band, but I love it. I would have no qualms about buying modern items pre-loved, but I just haven't had the opportunity yet.
 

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
10,604
No, but I sold something.
 

Crazie4Cuts

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 9, 2014
Messages
430
No, but very tempted and inquired much on several pieces! I really am trying to only purchase pieces I would wear and not just collect random pieces of jewelry. Although must admit it is tempting to make offers or purchase beautiful pre-loved items. I am making a list though and hubs has placed a limit, so I have restrictions! :boohoo:
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Crazie4Cuts|1453953940|3982779 said:
I really am trying to only purchase pieces I would wear and not just collect random pieces of jewelry.

This is really smart, and a mistake I made initially. Getting caught up in how good a deal something is instead of what my own jewelry tastes are is very important.

I adore looking at big bling. But when it comes to what I reach for, and what I wear and what I am comfortable, I've discovered that I have very modest preferences. I had a huge blingtastic band, and I felt conspicuous whenever I wore it. I sold it.

I don't have the finances to have pieces I don't wear often, unless they are heirlooms (and I have even sold off some heirlooms). So I now make sure that the pieces are buy are TRULY ones I would wear.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top