shape
carat
color
clarity

Have the stone picked out; what would a professional do next?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canucknewbie

Rough_Rock
I have a stone coming in from AGS. It is triple ideal cut F VS1 .76. What should I be looking for once the stone comes in. Should I get it appraised independantly or use the appraiser that the sales rep mentioned that comes in once every 2 weeks to appraise stones right there in the store with myself present. Can a stone being triple ideal contain what is known as floresence and would that be on the certificate?? And should I be marking down the dimentions and referring to a chart ??

With respect to the appraiser what should I be asking? I have heard of some machines for testing?

Just a bit nervious and it looks like there are alot of experts that frequent this forum.

Thanks for any help

Chris

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If the appraiser works in the store, don't you think he/she is going to ruin a sale, for the store that lets them operate?

I have seen a fair amount of reports that the fluoresence is grading incorrectly, most often saying there is no fluoresence when there is, and without saying what color the fluoresence is, and if it is visible to the eye.

Find someone who has the equipment and ask the seller to send them the stone for checking for you BEFORE YOU PAY for it.

If they won't do this, then find a seller who will.

Rockdoc

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hey Canucknewbie - good to see another Canadian here :)

Yes it is a good idea to check the stone with independent appraiser to verify the stone matches the grading report and have no hidden problems.

but there are not too many of them. On the other hand there are many appraisers who work for retail companies but do their job with integrity.

I guess you should not become too paranoid about this process :)[/u]

canucknewbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input. I checked out the list of appraisers with the closest one being in WA. Was wondering if any are located in Vancouver, BC that one would refer.

Although I chose this diamond I was offered another for the same price. So one doesn't have to scroll the one I chose was a .76 VS1 F triple ideal from AGS and the other one was a .78 VVS2 G color Double ideal 1 from AGS.

Again thanks Rocdoc & Leonid for your input

:bigsmile:

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results