shape
carat
color
clarity

Have any of your friends gotten engaged?

mmi

Shiny_Rock
It's times like these that I should probably avoid Facebook, but I am too insanely curious to see which of my old friends and acquaintances have gotten engaged this holiday. So far I count four, but I may have missed some. SO's and my 6th anniversary came and went earlier this week. So to feel like an "old maid" (not really) has had me feeling a little down. Can anyone relate?
I am happy to see ladies come off the List and I so hope to see a few more after tonight. :)
Mmi

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Oh mmi, yes, I can relate!

SO and my anniversary is tomorrow. It will be year 6 for us. I know he won't have anything planned, being the day after NYE and all. He works in the service industry, so his night doesn't end until around 6 a.m. He's mad at me because I don't plan on going with him. I just don't feel like getting all dolled up and attempting to last until 6 a.m. when I can leave with him. It's just not worth it. He was pretty bummed, but I told him flat out that I want to stay home (with my chick flicks, popcorn, and wallow in misery).

As for friends, my coworker proposed to his gf two weeks ago. The following night, a friend became engaged. The first couple has been together for about 5 years, the second for seven years. So, in terms of my timeline, I don't feel too sad in comparison to theirs. But, still sad nonetheless. :((

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I know of 4 people that got engaged over Christmas. I'm gonna guess that probably 3 more get engaged tonight.

rialaine

Shiny_Rock
Yeah a few of my friends got in engaged over the holidays...One of my male friends popped the question to his MUCH younger girlfriend. She's cute, seems nice. But I think she just may be in it for the money. He's pretty well off...His name's Hugh :wink2: :wink2:

LOL :mrgreen: I'm sorry. I'm a nerd....I also enjoy knock-knock jokes...

4ever

Ideal_Rock
No close friends or anything, but coming up to Christmas there was one proposal to a girl I was friendly with at school and a guy I went to school with who got married last year announced his wife is pregnant. Even tho I wasn't ever really close friends with the first girl, I did get a bit jelous and pissed off after reading several days worth of her hamming it up on Face Book.

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
None of my close friends but one girl I know on Xmas day.

I am feeling fairly down today. We are away with my family at the moment and it would be the perfect time and it is a fantastic and romantic place so it is making me feel sad :( we have the ring with us because we didn't want to leave it at home. It is nothing to do with the fact he wants to use it. Oh well!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely know what you mean. I have seen LOTS of girls/guys I know getting engaged lately (especially on facebook!)
Makes me a little jealous...BF and I have been together for 6 1/2 years. But our time will be soon.
And with Pricescope on my side, my ring will be way better than theirs. Lol. :saint:

mariewest

Shiny_Rock
None of my really closest friends have gotten married yet, but many people I went to high school and college have started to get married. What really drives me crazy is those who are much younger getting married, or those who haven't been with their SO as long as I have (4 years.) I know it's not good to compare relationships. I just keep telling myself that in five years some of their Facebook status might say "divorced" (not that I would wish that on them.) I know that every time I go on Facebook and see someone else get engaged, I do get jealous. But our times will come...

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Haha yes Chloe definitely the wait is worth it due to PSers superior rings :-p just jks!

Having the ring so close to me is testing my will power and also my capacity to not saying anything to him :( wish it was happening sometime soon!

*DUST* all :)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Yes, a few.

No one I'm really close to though. I'm happy for the couples. The only time I feel jealousy is when couples get engaged super-fast, as in, under 6 months or so. Its not the length of time that bugs me, but the fact that they were so confident in such a short amount of time. I know relationship quality doesn't correlate to years in a relationship, but I've always had it in my mind that I'd want to know/be with someone for at least a few years before engagement. I suppose the its gutsy-ness of a fast engagement that sort of gets me, since I'm a slow poke on the subject.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
No one within my close circle of friends, but a lot of my other friends have gotten engaged. Two girls I know from school got engaged, both about a week before Christmas. One's FI got someone to videotape it and everything so we have all gotten to see the actual proposal. It was super cute and I am totally happy for her.

A previous co-worker got engaged on Christmas Eve. This is the one that really "grinds my gears". She is only 18 and her FI is only 20. I guess it really makes me mad and 100% not jealous at all because I don't feel like they are taking it seriously. I know many people have gotten married at that age and been perfectly happy together for many, many years. However, this girl told me in about August (while we were talking about me wanting to be married to BF) that she couldn't even imagine that yet. She said that marriage was just too scary and long term for her to even think about at this point in her life. And now she's engaged? :???:

Anyways, sorry for the rant :oops: Just needed to get that off my chest. I'm pretty sure I will be the first one in my close circle to get engaged. BF told me last night that he plans to use his tax refund to help purchase the ring and so the proposal will be soon after that. You can bet that as soon as he gets his W-2's I will be doing his taxes like a mad woman! :lol: He got an extra little nudge a few nights ago from his 7 year old niece who asked him why in the world he hadn't gotten engaged to me yet! :lol:

speechie

Rough_Rock
I think there have been between 8-10 of close and not so close friends. I can't even count the number of acquaintances (nor do I want to)

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
I counted this morning and there have been 13 of MY friends that have gotten engaged. Out of SO's friends, 5 got engaged.

I'm not happy right now at all. I'm having a terrible time with a flash of depression but I'm trying really hard not to let it get to me.... and failing.

I hope everyone else fairs better than I have, as of right now I'm not loving these two weeks of holiday.

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
I have one friend who got engaged during Christmas but I was expecting this. I'm happy for them.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
MayFlowers|1293898650|2811614 said:
A previous co-worker got engaged on Christmas Eve. This is the one that really "grinds my gears". She is only 18 and her FI is only 20. I guess it really makes me mad and 100% not jealous at all because I don't feel like they are taking it seriously. I know many people have gotten married at that age and been perfectly happy together for many, many years. However, this girl told me in about August (while we were talking about me wanting to be married to BF) that she couldn't even imagine that yet. She said that marriage was just too scary and long term for her to even think about at this point in her life. And now she's engaged? :???:
MayFlowers, I totally understand how frustrating this is. I remember something similar happening when I was in the midst of LIW madness. I had just had a dear friend get engaged to a fabulous guy, so I was already feeling a little hurt that I wasn't engaged yet, and then a friend of my little brother's (he's several years younger!) suddenly announced she was engaged. She was so young, and they had only been dating a short time. It kind of felt like, "Oh, so her guy thought she was good enough to marry after only [insert single digit] months, but my guy hasn't yet decided that after [x] years? And my guy and I are supposed to be the grownups here? They're ready to commit for life, but we, despite our age and wisdom and love and maturity, for some reason, aren't?"

Granted, my stream of consciousness there was not particularly mature, but I think it's fine to feel that way. Let yourself be annoyed for a bit, but then try and remember all the wonderful things about your relationship that make you want to stay right where you are instead of accepting a proposal from the next guy on the street who thinks you're pretty. I think a lot of people can make themselves feel guilty for being frustrated or annoyed by stuff like this, and the guilt is just needless. You are allowed to be annoyed and mad--just don't let it interfere with the great thing you have going with your SO.

P.S. The ending to my little anecdote? They ended up calling off their wedding, which, from the small-town gossip I hear from my mom, was really the best thing. (Disclaimer: I'm not at all saying that things automatically can't work out when you're young and haven't been together long--in this case, though, my initial shock and frustration were not misplaced.)

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
I can totally relate to this. This holiday season it was my cousin, my boyfriends YOUNGER sister, and about 5 of my friends. There was also one girl who I can't stand that I had heard got engaged which kind of upset me. My boyfriend and I hit and passed 6 years back in October. We have been together much longer than all of those people. With the holidays I had my first bout of the LIW-itis. I know it will come in time but it got to me recently and I've been a bit down. I have been trying to hide it too.

I keep joking with my boyfriend because his work schedule is strenuous and we do not see each other that much lately (if we didn't live together, we'd never see one another). I told him he should have "locked me in" so I wouldn't leave him for someone that would hang out with me :bigsmile: We also had a conversation about my ideal ring and he asked me to send a picture. I've tread lightly since. So we've made progress and I know all these other people shouldn't matter because we are going according to our own time line but I feel that people are starting to wonder why he hasn't yet.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I've seen about 15-20 engagements over the holidays, no lie. Now this is everyone, family, old friends, HS people on FB that we kinda keep tabs on each other and the ones on here.

Thankfully it's the new year...which means Valentines Day is 6 weeks away! Lets hope a few more ladies get removed from the list then! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Seattle SC

Shiny_Rock
Nobody that I recall seeing but I wasn't expecting anyone to get engaged either, because probably about 90% of the ones in a serious relationship are already engaged or married. Though there was one pregnancy annoucement that was made and an engagement that was about a month ago... And yes I'm bitter, because SO and I have been dating much longer than anyone that's left, and most of the people that have gotten engaged during 2010 as well.

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock
I'm over it. Four on 12/31 and 3 in the month of December. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them, because two of them are my closest friends, but still....

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
ChloeTheGreat|1293843363|2811372 said:
I definitely know what you mean. I have seen LOTS of girls/guys I know getting engaged lately (especially on facebook!)
Makes me a little jealous...BF and I have been together for 6 1/2 years. But our time will be soon.
And with Pricescope on my side, my ring will be way better than theirs. Lol. :saint:

Chloe, your post = my life. Same 6.5 years, same stalking people on facebook and being jealous after seeing their "success."

AND, same happiness knowing the BF and I will choose my ring together using all of the knowledge I have gained on Pricescope :)

Although he does frequently tell me, "what the hell are you still doing on that website?" and "what are you doing? no wait, let me guess, looking at engagement rings?"

HaloBelle

Shiny_Rock
Totally agree and understand with the "little down" comment. In the past 6 months, 8 have gotten engaged, 3 married, 3 pregnant and 2 have given birth. Every time, a little piece of me is sad but then i hear them argue about wedding planning and whose taking what days and what planner and I think I will be happier if I am one of just a few left. :) Oh and I've been dating my SO longer than they have known their FI and Hubbies. Even longer than the 1 that has gotten introduced, married, and divorced in the time that we have been dating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results