clarity

Have any of y'all seen "The Help"

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
I saw it last week and it was FABULOUS!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw it last night. I have already read the book and I was actually pleased that the movie stayed pretty true to the book. One of the better book to movie adaptations to me. Hubby saw it with me and he really liked it too!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read the book last summer but I haven't seen the movie yet. It's on my list though.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oh I'm glad to hear they did a good job of the movie! The book was fantastic.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No...but want to...maybe next week while the kids are in school.

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
I think I'm going to have to read the book too after hearing so many people rave about it. When I went to the movie it was all women, no men in the whole theatre lol. It was the middle of the afternoon when most people were at work though. After the movie I heard quite a few of the women saying that it was really close to the book and that they just loved the book.

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone seen the book in libraries? I've searched the online card catalog of all the local ones and it's not in any of them. :confused:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not yet, but I plan to. Have to finish the book first,

My daughter read it, and said it was something I need, have to read..,

I asked why?? She said it's you...

I have started to read it, it does hit close to home. Once I finish it, I would like to take MY help, Elizabeth to see it with me. ::) :halo:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
sweet_pea|1313964025|2995948 said:
Has anyone seen the book in libraries? I've searched the online card catalog of all the local ones and it's not in any of them. :confused:

I'm sure it's got to be in libraries. Are you searching "Help, The?"

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
No, but I want to see it. I want to read the book first. I always do that...don't see the movie because I want to read the book, but then I don't get around to reading it in a timely manner....then the movie is out of the theaters.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
not yet!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved the book but thought the movie strayed too far for me. I don't understand southern culture at all. (Don't flame me, that is not a diss, just an observation)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to see it this week. I read the book and loved it.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I really enjoyed the book and think the movie will be fun as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really loved the movie! I want to see it again when it comes out on DVD.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
In a summer of many male-oriented, comic-book-based blockbusters, I *LOVE* that a movie like "The Help" won Weekend Box Office two weeks in a row, don't you?

(Hollywood, we don't ALL want to watch X-Men 5. And Transformers 43. And Thor. Not to mention Conan the Barbarian. Also Captain America, Green Lantern, Green Hornet...)

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
AprilBaby|1313973752|2996097 said:
Loved the book but thought the movie strayed too far for me. I don't understand southern culture at all. (Don't flame me, that is not a diss, just an observation)

Southern culture isn't quite like that anymore really. Most southerners are just more into tradition then say northerners are.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kaleigh|1313965625|2995974 said:

I have started to read it, it does hit close to home. Once I finish it, I would like to take MY help, Elizabeth to see it with me. ::) :halo:

I read the book last month and Kaleigh, I thought of you and Elizabeth.

How is Elizabeth? I hope that she and her brother are both doing well. I think of them often.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I read the book and enjoyed it, but I doubt I'll see the movie - or at least not pay to see it in a theater. I have some reservations about the book that I think would be magnified in a film version.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1314044053|2996782 said:

How is Elizabeth? I hope that she and her brother are both doing well. I think of them often.

Jennifer,
Thanks for asking. She's had ups and downs. But she's doing great now and is looking forward to her birthday in September.. Her brother is doing very well. He has been welcomed with open arms and is a testiment that you have to have faith. The truth will set you free.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I saw the movie last weekend, but really enjoyed the book much more. I felt like the movie glossed over some issues that really made the book impactful for me. That always happens due to time constraints. The movie was still good, but the book is definitely better.

I thought it was funny how many single women were in the theater when I went (I went to a matinee on Sunday). I went alone myself, and sat next to another woman whose husband wanted to stay home :) It was kind of fun.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished the book - I have to see the movie - and soon! Wonderful book!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clio|1314046229|2996816 said:
I read the book and enjoyed it, but I doubt I'll see the movie - or at least not pay to see it in a theater. I have some reservations about the book that I think would be magnified in a film version.

Yup.

I was raised in a country where household "help" and maids was and still is very, very common, which is the basis for my reservations.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw it... I don't know. I thought the most important message of the book... about boundaries between people was lost completely. And I thought they should have included the scene with the crazy white man and Minne and C. Foote, and been truer to the Foote storyline.

They did a great job with Hilly. I love the change about how she finds out about the book. They did a great job with Elizabeth. And with the time period.

But I didn't like the changes in Skeeters character, or her mom... or the Evangeline story.

I thought the book was fantastic. The movie was very good. But no where near as great as the book.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kaleigh|1314047420|2996832 said:
Jennifer W|1314044053|2996782 said:

Jennifer,
Thanks for asking. She's had ups and downs. But she's doing great now and is looking forward to her birthday in September.. Her brother is doing very well. He has been welcomed with open arms and is a testiment that you have to have faith. The truth will set you free.

So glad to hear that Elizabeth is doing better now. Her brother is a truly remarkable man and if ever anyone deserved a loving welcome home, it's him.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i had read the book and loved it.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

i can understand why people who have not read the book love the movie.

imo, it was a decent movie and well acted but missed some of the aspects and changed some of the others. the scene in which celia's husband "finds out" about minnie is not nearly as good as in the book. skeeter is less confident in the book. there is a lot more about skeeter's dad. also, the fear factor was more dramatic in the book than in the movie.

my husband liked the movie but has not yet read the book. probably never will. but he's glad he saw the movie.

viola davis steals the movie!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MZ I totally agree with you. I thought the Minnie/ Celia story was so much the heart of the book. Minnie was anti-white and Celia and her husband really changed her perception of people and boundaries. And I was sorry to the changes in the movie. I also thought the scene with the miscarriage wasn't as important and really felt the omission of the crazy white man scene was huge.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
terrible, awful.

I saw it.

I liked it!

Ira Z.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
No I haven't but I just got a raving recommendation for the book so I'm picking that up first.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results