shape
carat
color
clarity

Have a chunk of Opal (maybe), and questions...

thea_harper

Rough_Rock
I'm back again with more thoughts and clearly, questions.

I've been over thinking and staying up way too late obsessing over this dang garnet and how the heck to set it now that I've semi back tracked and decided I think it needs a halo due to it's edge inclusion.

So, today I was pawing through my jewelry box when I came across this chunk of rock and opal. It was given as gift to me over 15 years ago so I honestly have NO CLUE what it's origin is. I just think its very pretty.

Here come the questions.

1. How/Who/Where can this be authenticated as real?

2. Who could I ask to cut this, into 2 or more pieces.

Onto pictures, everybody loves pictures right?!! :naughty:

dsc_9014.jpg

dsc_9022.jpg

dsc_9016.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There's no need to authenticate that material, it's an Australian boulder opal. Do a quick search and you'll see lots of images of what this looks like when cut. That one face might even be substantial enough to get some good cabs without the brown mud stone showing through. Who can cut it? Any lapidary who has even modest skill at cutting cabs. I'd look on the 'net for a local rock and gem club, they always have lots of people who love cutting these things and should even encourage you to cut it yourself on their equipment. Looks like nice material!

thea_harper

Rough_Rock
Michael_E|1454195679|3984343 said:
There's no need to authenticate that material, it's an Australian boulder opal. Do a quick search and you'll see lots of images of what this looks like when cut. That one face might even be substantial enough to get some good cabs without the brown mud stone showing through. Who can cut it? Any lapidary who has even modest skill at cutting cabs. I'd look on the 'net for a local rock and gem club, they always have lots of people who love cutting these things and should even encourage you to cut it yourself on their equipment. Looks like nice material!

Thank you, thank you, and thank you. This was my suspicion as well honestly but I wasn't sure how common oval "fakes" were and hence my post.

I appreciate your response, I'll be scouring for a lapidary now. :read: :)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Michael_E|1454195679|3984343 said:
Who can cut it? Any lapidary who has even modest skill at cutting cabs. I'd look on the 'net for a local rock and gem club, they always have lots of people who love cutting these things and should even encourage you to cut it yourself on their equipment. Looks like nice material!

+1

I've begun doing this and it's quite therapeutic and rewarding! I've actually been looking at getting some Boulder Opal but apparently it is the hardest of all opal to cut which has left me a little hesitant. Oh and Black Opal rough is just so tempting :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results