shape
carat
color
clarity

Has your preference for color changed over time?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other interesting thing I’ve learned over the years, is that I can like more than one type or color. I also think PS for good or bad has influenced me to a LARGE extent. But, I know in my heart of hearts what color I want on my left ring finger and others preferences shouldn’t influence mine. It’s been a long journey over 36 years of marriage! :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Experience was really the key to me, Iv heard people say that for example k colored diamonds are yellow and ugly but when asked they have never seen one they are just quoting someone else.
I find that people that have experience with various colors in person appreciate a wider range of colors.
In my opinion age does not really come into it as its not about seeing colors its about like and dislike the colors you do see.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My first couple of rings (pre PS) were F and E, because I really appreciated the colorless spectrum. However, once I learned about the cut quality being a more important bling factor, I purchased J color studs and my current H color solitaire (which I thinks compliments my skin tone the best). My J color studs show a bit too much color for my taste, and I gave them to my 16 year old daughter....so currently looking for higher color 2ctw studs (maybe in a MMD). I think the near colorless G-H-I range is where I'm currently most comfortable at.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes this has definitely changed for me! I had always heard that your diamond should be “white white white” and to stay away from J colors and below. Did I bother to look at lower colors in person? Nope! And how surprised was I to see incredibly white facing antique stones ranging from M-P once I decided to see them with my own eyes?! I think part of the problem is that most stones look warmer in photos and videos than they do in person - so it’s simply impossible to judge them by what you see online. If I ever go back to an ideal MRB I’ll likely stick with the H-J range - but in old cuts, lower colors are the jam!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I like to think that it hasn’t. But my appreciation for diamonds have increased.

I am colour sensitive, so high colour for me is best.

however, I like old cuts and I prefer them in the ijk range or warm ranges.

I also like fancy colours...depending on how I am planning to set it, it depends on the colour grading. Generally fancy intense is what I go for.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very important point has been brought up here and it bears repeating. One must see diamonds (and all gemstones)
*in person* to appreciate the different colors and cuts and to really know what one's preferences are. One can only get so much from a computer screen photo. In real life is the only accurate way to evaluate what your preferences are.

It does look different in real life. And let's face it we are wearing our bling in real life more than we are sharing pics of them on the computer screen.

I could go on and on about how amazing my J OEC looks IRL but only seeing her IRL will show you what I mean. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder but only real life viewing can determine what you think is beautiful. IMO. The beauty doesn't translate online as much as it does off-line in real life. My Cartier black opal is another perfect example of not translating to the screen. She is much more gorgeous in person. Capturing her beauty in a photo or even video is not the same as seeing her up close and personal. JMO.

Since I am talking about my rings I will share on screen photos. Keeping in mind it isn't the same as seeing them in real life.

cartieropalinthekitchen.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.30.48 AM.png

No photo editing but cropping has been done.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My comfort zone for D-Z diamond color is around what GIA or AGS grades F to G.

No change.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first ring at 21 I was just happy to have a diamond. I didn’t even know they came in colors. Just size. 1979. i would guess it was I color. My second diamond was H. Loved it more than the previous but my sweet spot is F. This time I had to choose between size and color. I really want that GH but I want size more so I’m going with I. I think I will be happy.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, my color preference hasn't changed. I like colorless diamonds especially for RB & EC. I think the fancy shapes look great in warmer colors but being used to colorless diamonds I think I'd always be wanting a higher color diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results