shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone seen O-P coloured diamonds IRL?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I believe Sonoma has a P colored antique OMC. She says that it''s like a light golden straw color.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/do-ya-ll-want-to-see-a-video-of-my-antique-omc-t112495.html

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I''ve seen them in person, and I really love them. They are warm, but not outright "OMG THAT IS YELLOW!" But, although I am good at identifying diamond color--it makes no difference to me, whatsoever. I''d take a diamond of any grade. I even prefer the warmth. If warmth bothers you, skip it, but if you don''t mind it, go for it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think of them as buttery whites, golden whites if you like....A distinct tint but I wouldn''t quite call them yellow. Depends on the size of course!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 11:44:14 PM
Author:Phoenix
What do they actuallly look like? Is the yellow very evident, or is it more like candle light warmth?

I''ve been drooling over these:

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2298/

http://www.langantiques.com/category/20/4/item/20-1-1102/
OMG, I had that droolsome
30.gif
OMC as my screensaver a few months back. That''s abt as close as I could get to it, unfortunately.
20.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I got to try on a 7 ct radiant that was L color, but that''s the lowest I''ve seen IRL. In was in "jewelry store lighting", and I could detect the slightest hint of warmth from the top, but it was still a HUGE, beautifully cut stone - I loved it!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great pieces, Phoenix!

I have personally seen a Q/R OEC that faced up like a J/K so its quite possible that these diamonds would also face up nice ivory warm rather than yellow.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Q & R-color pair of Crafted by Infinity rounds on layaway with Wink. I haven't seen them IRL (which is why I am having a hard time choosing a gemstone to make a 3-stone ring with them) but here is the video where Wink compares them to a D-color if you'd like to take a peek. They look pretty cool with a D-color diamond!

Link then go to Infinity diamonds, then to the bottom where it says Q & R color diamonds togther, then click on that. Sorry, couldn't get a link directly to the video to work.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I would say N/O/P is typically where I start seeing yellow tones face up, but they're subtle to my eye usually. The M I own is not yellowish at all face up in 99% of lighting situations- it's warm, yeah, but more of a steely color face up. Below that, while not exactly obviously yellow, the couple O/Ps I've seen faced up as ... soft ivory, I guess I'd describe it- yellow tones visible face up, but not intense at all. They were antique cuts. Frankly, I like most lower colors... especially in old cuts. Also some of the top-browns in that color range can be interesting looking, very chameleonlike... I had one that was a mix of pink, grey, and brown that was an O/P; it was fun to see it change in just about every light.

However, you *really* have to see this range of colors in person. They can vary in appearance quite a bit, IMHO. (I wonder if most master sets for color grading go down that low in color, honestly.)

Those pieces at Lang sure are droolworthy huh? They have *great* eyecandy!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 10:28:59 AM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
I have a Q & R-color pair of Crafted by Infinity rounds on layaway with Wink. I haven''t seen them IRL (which is why I am having a hard time choosing a gemstone to make a 3-stone ring with them) but here is the video where Wink compares them to a D-color if you''d like to take a peek. They look pretty cool with a D-color diamond!

Link then go to Infinity diamonds, then to the bottom where it says Q & R color diamonds togther, then click on that. Sorry, couldn''t get a link directly to the video to work.
Thanks for the link that was a cool video to watch. M is the lowest I have seen IRL but I love the warmth of the lower colors
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 1:36:00 PM
Author: MMT

I have a Q & R-color pair of Crafted by Infinity rounds on layaway with Wink. I haven''t seen them IRL (which is why I am having a hard time choosing a gemstone to make a 3-stone ring with them) but here is the video where Wink compares them to a D-color if you''d like to take a peek. They look pretty cool with a D-color diamond!

Link then go to Infinity diamonds, then to the bottom where it says Q & R color diamonds togther, then click on that. Sorry, couldn''t get a link directly to the video to work.
Thanks for the link that was a cool video to watch. M is the lowest I have seen IRL but I love the warmth of the lower colors
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
You''re welcome, MMT, I can''t wait to see my diamonds in real life!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Everyone!
We deal with stones in the lower ranges every day.
It's a lot more difficult to grade the color of a diamond in these lower ranges- even for GIA.
The reason, is that some O-P diamonds look pretty yelllow, others do not.
A few important factors are:
1) Fluorescence= a Q-R with fl will show less color
2) Shape- a round shows the least color, if we're comparing to Radiant, Cushion or Pear Shape
The stone in the photo was graded U-V color, Strong BLue Fluoresence.
It looks fairly yellow sometimes, not so much other times.....

r2269b.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think this link will take you straight to the video.

Wink

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Well - in the case of MY little old stone (I am the proud owner of that odd little pink/grey/brown stone that Little Grey Kitten speaks of) - it's an entirely different animal ..... see attached thread of my NON-yellow O/P (if anyone knows how to make this into a real link I would appreciate it!) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-silver-pink-peach-transitional-european-cut-diamond.109145/

Once it was mounted in the setting unfortunately the secondary pink/peach colour somehow went WHOOOOSH (sniff!!) and disappeared into thin air (weird how that happens with colour, huh? Never underestimate how much mounting a stone can change the look of it I guess). It's such a lovely SILVER colour though - I couldn't be happier. It's an old cut so the combination of the chunky facets plus the silver colour make it sort of look like a rhinestone to tell you the truth (and after I've cleaned it it looks like an aurora borealis rhinestone. The fire this thing throws off is crazy) I've read on here that the lower colour grades show more fire? Some of you may find this odd but I think the fact that it looks like a rhinestone is really cool.... (I'm kinda weird.....).

Some photos before it was mounted.... I still need pics of the finished ring.... someday it will be sunny and my batteries will be charged when my manicure is done (and all will be right with the world....... )

jodiespinkop1.JPG

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

jodiespinkop3.JPG

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Side view showing the most colour..... hard to believe this all disappeared when it was mounted.......

This thread is a good opportunity to bring up the fact that the colour grades seem to be accepted by most people as being just "grades of yellow" when they''re really not. They really have to do with the fact that some colour is present in the stone. Yellow being the most common colour but brown and grey also being found (for some reason my appraiser called my stone silver rather than grey - hey, it sounds prettier!). It is my understanding that other colours are so rare and valued that if they are found in ANY amount in a stone, they would automatically make that stone a fancy (IE: blue, purple, etc.) so you would never find an O/P "light purple" for example.

Let me say once again, I am NOT a pro so if I say anything that is incorrect on here, please, someone set me straight.......

jodiespinkop4.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 6:18:22 PM
Author: mausketeer
Well - in the case of MY little old stone (I am the proud owner of that odd little pink/grey/brown stone that Little Grey Kitten speaks of) - it''s an entirely different animal ..... see attached thread of my NON-yellow O/P (if anyone knows how to make this into a real link I would appreciate it!)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-silver-pink-peach-transitional-european-cut-diamond.109145/

Once it was mounted in the setting unfortunately the secondary pink/peach colour somehow went WHOOOOSH (sniff!!) and disappeared into thin air (weird how that happens with colour, huh? Never underestimate how much mounting a stone can change the look of it I guess). It''s such a lovely SILVER colour though - I couldn''t be happier. It''s an old cut so the combination of the chunky facets plus the silver colour make it sort of look like a rhinestone to tell you the truth (and after I''ve cleaned it it looks like an aurora borealis rhinestone. The fire this thing throws off is crazy) I''ve read on here that the lower colour grades show more fire? Some of you may find this odd but I think the fact that it looks like a rhinestone is really cool.... (I''m kinda weird.....).

Some photos before it was mounted.... I still need pics of the finished ring.... someday it will be sunny and my batteries will be charged when my manicure is done (and all will be right with the world....... )
Linked.

Nice stone. :)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/19/2009 10:31:18 AM
Author: Rockdiamond
Hi Everyone!
We deal with stones in the lower ranges every day.
It''s a lot more difficult to grade the color of a diamond in these lower ranges- even for GIA.
The reason, is that some O-P diamonds look pretty yelllow, others do not.
A few important factors are:
1) Fluorescence= a Q-R with fl will show less color
2) Shape- a round shows the least color, if we''re comparing to Radiant, Cushion or Pear Shape
The stone in the photo was graded U-V color, Strong BLue Fluoresence.
It looks fairly yellow sometimes, not so much other times.....

I like the yellow gold prongs - "I am yellow and I am not ashamed!"

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much to everyone who has responded with great infor.

I LOVE old cuts too, and the O-P coloured diamonds, it seems, can be very beautiful.

Alas, my hubby has told me I must go on a bling diet for a while. So this project will have to be put on hold!
7.gif

I guess I can still go drool over other PS'ers' old cuts and those on vendors' websites.
3.gif
18.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, me ! I have a "P".

Hello Phoenix ! Those Langs you posted are Gorgeous.

My "P" is a light golden straw color indoors and pretty white looking outdoors. I adore it, often more than my other "F" color stone. Indoors it almost looks like a "fancy". "Candle light warmth" sounds about right, too.

Here are links for you:

http://www.vimeo.com/4149987

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5685after

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/travel-time-to-the-wedding-what-is-exceptable-to-you.11249/

I believe each stone's color is individual, even within the same letter, so I guess you'd have to see it in person. It's a great option, though.

Don't be too dismayed about the timing. Keep looking & learning for now. It will happen.

Best, Sonoma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results