shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone heard from Elana / FF since June 30 ?

Oh boy. While I never had a bad experience with Elana other than her sending me the wrong pearls on the right clasp, and my 18" strand is actually 17" or something I think I am hesitant buying from her now. It's not unusual to get reports of one or two people being upset by a vendor on here, but now there are more and more and more people coming forward. Eek!

I did see her FB and you can't really fake a huge swollen face, but the rest of the hospital stuff, I don't know what to say.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Either she has had bad luck this year or her stories aren't what she said. I even looked up BBB but did not find Future Fashionista, Rubin Jewelers. I even searched BBB by her address and phone number. I guess she's not registered with BBB. In my experience, I've never had any business (pearls and non-pearls) that charged me upfront but had a large gap between charge date and delivery date.

That's true!!! A lot of goods that I buy online are not on my card until they have shipped. I prefer it that way.

I mean.. months and months here.. not ok.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
For those that charges have appeared on your credit cards, have not received Elana's product, and time is running out, you can take a look at the Federal Trade Commission link here to find out what's your next step
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume ... cre28.shtm

It seems I can't post the link, it is hhtp://www.ftc.gov, forward slash, bcp, forward slash, edu, forward slash, pubs, forward slash, consumer, forward slash, credit, forward slash, cre28, dot, shtm.

Cut and paste from the first section of the above link:

"In addition, many credit card issuers have policies against merchants charging a credit card account before shipment. If you think a merchant charged your account prematurely, report it to the credit card issuer. Otherwise, the credit card issuer has no way to know that the merchant is not complying with its policies."

The link posted.. it just shortened it.

I clicked on it and it worked

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I still have not decided for sure what to do, but for historical accuracy purposes, I want to post an update with what I've found out.

I am in Canada and paid with my Visa. I called Visa to explore my options. *If* I decide to dispute the FF charge (due to non-received merchandise), I have a maximum of 120 days from date of the charging to initiate the case with Visa. They will then issue a temporary credit on my card and will do a charge-back with FF's bank (I think that's what he said). FF will then need to prove my parcel made it at least to Canada Customs. If that cannot be proved (which would most likely be the case), I have won my dispute and the temporary credit will be made permanent.

My Visa was charged ~June 15, and Elana said the order was shipped on June 30. Currently, the USPS tracking website STILL says the parcel (tracking #) has only been expected for mailing, but may not have been actually shipped yet. Elana said this was due to her local post office not updating their database properly.

Meanwhile, it's now been over a month since the parcel was allegedly shipped. Even VISA said this sounds highly unusual.

Sigh. I emailed Elana again a few days ago, but of course no response. I guess I'll try phone stalking next week. If I can't reach her, I guess I'll have no choice.

BTW, I've decided if this does not play out well, I'll file a complaint with the BBB as well. It's truly not acceptable.

But again, all I really want is just what I ordered. :(

As always, open to any further ideas or suggestions...

Anne

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I think we have every right to discuss Elana's business practices under these circumstances. She was given access to thousands of internet posters who passed along the information, which eventually reached PS. I've known of her for many years. To take this privilege and abuse the trust of her customers, IMO, is inexcusable. If you run a business there has to be someone who is given the task of notifying customers in case of an emergency and present them with options. I had a similar problem with another vendor--not jewelry related. To be "fair," as she had always been nice to me and behaved responsibly, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. By the time I filed a claim with PayPal, the time limit had expired for taking such action. I do hope that all of her customers receive the items that they ordered and paid for. This has become an very unfortunate situation.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Latest update:

I've been phone stalking Elana this week (with no success), and yesterday finally sent a desperate/mad email (and Blog Comment - not public) letting her know Visa advised me to dispute her charges (which they did) and that I was running out of patience.

I am relieved (and surprised?) that Elana wrote me back today saying she's been in the hospital again, but was finally able to track down the parcel with the help of USPS and her local Post Master - she says the parcel had been forgotten in a safe at US Customs. (Does this make sense?)

She said US Customs agreed to now FedEx me the parcel at their expense. I have a new tracking number which indicates it should arrive TOMORROW (Thurs Aug 05).

Oh my god, I surely hope so. I have had enough of this drama.

Stay tuned, I will post again tomorrow. BTW, she said another Canadian client's parcel from her was affected the same way along with mine.

BTW, I told Elana she really should have someone else take care of her business during these periods where she is unable to. It's uncomfortable for clients when a vendor suddenly disappears off the face of the earth.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Anne

Yay!!!!

I know it's not really up to me but I'm starting to not believe what she is telling you..
I am too scared to order anything from her anymore too.

Please update us tomorrow!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
It's strange that the most important part of running a business like answering the phone, replying to emails are ignored while the blog is updated more regular, until potential threat of Visa dispute. I noticed the blog has been updated more frequently now. At least the last time I checked, it was 8/3, 8/2, 7/29. Hmmm.... strange, don't you think? It just doesn't add up anymore.

I know some of you have had great luck with her, her pearls are beautiful per your comments, etc. But my imagination is running wild ...

Please update tomorrow.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agreed. About a week or two ago, I decided I personally don't believe all her stories/explanations either.

But I have allowed myself to hope again that I might actually receive what I ordered since there is now a concrete date in the near-term on which to expect them. I am thinking if she really knew they'd never come, she'd string me along further. Well, let's find out.

I will probably have more comments/rants on all this later. lol

Anne

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Anne- I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Ok, so I got a story once too. I won't go into details and I'm not sure why she even bothered telling me what she did as all my packages were shipped out on time. But it had to do with a death in her family. It was very, very sad.

After all this, I just don't know what to think..

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I found this website http://www.annieskakundesigns.com/

I am pretty sure this is Elana's stringer in Florida. In her "Links", it even directs you to Elana's website. Surely Elana has contact with her if she has to send strands out to string. Annie introduced herself here here not too long ago and also posts on the purse forum (which I don't go to anymore, I've gotten bugs on my computer from visiting that site). I wonder if she still check here every now and then.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I feel bad I've recommended FF to people recently. I can't recommend the business anymore, though my strand is lovely.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
At this point I would not make a purchase from Elana. I am chronically ill and I don't "disappear" and disregard my obligations. There are ways to handle things. It's not always easy, but it can be done. If you expect to remain in business, it must be done.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PEARLS HAVE ARRIVED

Okay, so the strand and matching earrings have just been delivered by FedEx. I am feeling... relieved. Too many mixed emotions to feel anything on the happy spectrum just yet. lol

My quick check of the pearls seems to indicate that they are what I ordered. They look good, and feel great on.

I found a few blemishes on a total of 3 pearls. I am assuming this is normal (these are my first Tahitians).

I know some people will be interested in pics - I would too! lol I will need my husband's help for that, so may take a few days.

Anyways, for now the update is that the pearls are here.

I will write later with further thoughts and feedback. I feel like I am still processing everything that has happened.

Anne

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
That's very good to hear. Finally you can relax. BTW, did you check your FedEx progress to see where it originated from? Do the facts correspond to the story?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HHPmom said:
BTW, did you check your FedEx progress to see where it originated from? Do the facts correspond to the story?

Hmmm. The only shipping paperwork on/in/with the parcel is the FedEx International Air Waybill.

The "From" portion is dated Aug 04 (yesterday) and lists Elana's name and address. The "Payment" portion (for the cost of shipping) says the Sender is responsible. The box itself is a USPS Priority Mail box.

In her email to me yesterday, Elana said she had just found out that her original USPS parcel had been stuck at US Customs (they had allegedly forgot it in their office safe until they discovered it there at her and her Post Master's prompting). She went on to say she then arranged for US Customs to ship it to me via FedEx Express immediately and at their expense.

Sooooo.... comments? ;-) lol

Anne

Kaori Oku

Rough_Rock
Why is it going to be to the US custom when it is going to Canada? The custom checks the ones coming to US not going out. Why not Canada custom. That going to be a better story. Also, why is it going be in a safe to forget? Only register mail is locked.

Kaori Oku

Rough_Rock
So if the custom ship it, you must find the original package with USPS sticker and date inside the FedEx package? Or maybe the custom unpackage for you and package again nicely and then send for their cost? Such nice custom people, lol.

So maybe truth is she just ship to you this week.

ededdeddy

Rough_Rock
Hi Anne my friends took your que and posted a message on her blog and left the same message on her personal facebook page. Not a word. The CC company told them they were still in the time frame to dispute the charge and will have to do so tomorrow. Sounds to me like she created the shipping info through USPS.COM but never bothered to send it until yesterday and had to do so through FedEx. I have never heard of customs keeping something in a safe, then shipping it at their cost. Not to mention, I seriously doubt they would/could remove all the original packaging and repackage it.

Anne I think the truth is that your pearls and Elana were kidnapped by Elvis on a alien spaceship. :loopy:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ededdeddy - I think your friend is right to dispute the charges, especially if he/she has tried to reach Elana multiple times without success. That is what I was planning to do if the parcel had not arrived (magically? ha) now.

Let us know how that goes. My understanding from Visa is that the vendor of a charge disputed due to non-received merchandise has a finite time period to prove it was shipped/received. Will be interesting to see what comes of that. Or, if the disputed charge was not great, maybe she would not bother trying to prove anything and would just eat the cost.

Sorry your friend is going through this. I unfortunately know how annoying and frustrating it all can be.

Anne

Diamondhalo

Rough_Rock
risingsun said:
I think we have every right to discuss Elana's business practices under these circumstances. She was given access to thousands of internet posters who passed along the information, which eventually reached PS. I've known of her for many years. To take this privilege and abuse the trust of her customers, IMO, is inexcusable. If you run a business there has to be someone who is given the task of notifying customers in case of an emergency and present them with options. I had a similar problem with another vendor--not jewelry related. To be "fair," as she had always been nice to me and behaved responsibly, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. By the time I filed a claim with PayPal, the time limit had expired for taking such action. I do hope that all of her customers receive the items that they ordered and paid for. This has become an very unfortunate situation.

I have to agree with this - I purchased from FF based on the many recommendations found here, I think it's entirely appropriate to also detail unsatisfactory results here. I received my strand on 7th July but returned them, I have delivery confirmation but no reply to my many emails or my private comment on her blog so I filed a dispute with Visa when I read Anne_H has been in contact. I really don't think I should have to attempt Facebook. Thanks ladies, keep us informed!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamondhalo - I totally understand why you are disputing the charges, since it seems you are owed a refund for which you have allowed sufficient time for processing. That's really sucky! And I agree it's ridiculous that any clients would need to stalk a vendor just to communicate.

Well people - the plot thickens! In terms of my own little adventure. Read on...

I have decided I don't believe Elana's "USPS package forgotten in US Custom's safe" story... so I decided to play amateur detective.

I contacted USPS to find out which Post Offices were in Elana's area (by city and zip code). Apparently there are two.

I called them both. One is very small and doesn't accept international parcels. So scratch that one.

The other one had more info to offer. I gave them Elana's street name, and they said it was nearby, and that they are the closest Post Office to her. (So the one I feel she was most likely to have used - if she did in fact send via USPS in the first place as she said.)

Anyways, I spoke to a total of four people at this most likely Post Office location. None of them were familiar with her name. None of them were familiar with the US Customs / safe story. Elana told me she had been dealing a lot with her "Post Master" to try to track down my package. I was able to speak to the person at this location who identified himself as such. He too was not familiar with anything I described.

I then asked him if USPS Priority Mail parcels to Canada would ever go to US Customs - and he said not. He said those would go directly to Canada Customs (although he noted that overseas parcels *would* go to US Customs first).

I also re-checked the physical parcel I received... as mentioned, the box itself is USPS, but the shipping label is FedEx. I can find absolutely no evidence of a previous USPS label ever having been on it. Under the clear FedEx waybill envelope, I can see someone wrote my address directly on the box. But surely there would have to be other USPS stickers on it if it had actually shipped with them (?) Another interesting twist is that under the waybill copies is another generic "Commercial Invoice" document which is signed by an Anne Skakun. Hmmm! I note that Elana told me twice she strung the pearls herself (not that I really care, but I know some of you thought maybe she had mine done by this Ms. Skakun who may be in Florida?) Anyways, not sure how her signature fits into all this! lol

Personally, I now believe Elana only pre-registered the USPS parcel (by tracking number) on June 30 for mailing, but never in fact got around to sending it. Then, when I finally threatened to dispute the charges, she decided to send it ASAP and used FedEx Express (and told me the US Customs story to explain the delay). I should also mention that in the same email as the Customs story, she also said she'd been in contact with the Post Master multiple times throughout my delay period... but yet, never did she contact me to keep me apprised of the fact she was working on finding out what was going wrong. I was simply left in the dark and rarely able to reach her myself. I don't find it very typical that a vendor would be working so hard on a missing parcel but yet not telling the customer...

If I am right, what I will never know is *why* she held the parcel for so long without mailing it. Just... why? Did she plan to keep it? Or more likely, just got busy with her own life and never got around to sending it (?)

Open and interested in any comments. Or ideas on details I may have missed. :)

BTW, I am aware that Elana or her contacts may see this, so I have done my best to keep everything factual. Everything I state in this thread is to the best of knowledge at the time of the writing.

Anne

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Please see my post on August 4 which shows Annie Skakun's website, also known as MsT in the other pearl forum. I think a lot of people here said Elana sends her temporary strands to Annie, who strings for her. Based on what I've read here, it goes from Elana's home state to Florida (Annie), then to the recipient's address.

I don't know why she wants to hold on to the merchandise. Is she low on cash? Waiting past the 120 days dispute period? Or is having problem paying her stringer? Who knows? (shaking head). First of all, she should not have charged anyone until the actual item ships from her stringer's address. See my post and link to the FTC site above. Second, she should have responded to emails and phone calls instead of checking multiple times with her USPS office (yeah right, read sarcastic remark here). Third, she keeps telling fish stories and the more she tells them, the deeper she digs a hole... and her stories don't match from beginning to end.

Anne_h, does the FedEx pkg have a tracking number? I guess if you pull that up on fedex.com, I am almost positive it was sent from Annie's Florida address. Why is Annie holding the package and not sending the strand? Waiting for Elana to pay her? If Annie is too busy to string pearls because she still has her daytime job, I am sure Elana can be honest and tell her customer that. And that would be understandable. But instead we hear of everyone is hospitalized, sick, dead, etc. while the blog is regularly updated.

I guess her business is mostly from the purse forum full of faithful fans, which is then recommended here.

It doesn't matter how pretty her products are, or how low her price is, I would not do business with someone who is full of lies.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond halo, I am so sorry to hear your refund has not been processed. I am sure the credit card company will make it right for you. Good luck.

Anne.

W O W

I am with you 100%... nothing adds up on her end. :???: Thank god more of us don't have orders in with her right now...

I do want to mention, that when I did purchase from her, I was also given stories about "this and that". I wonder if any of it was true...

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HHPmom said:
Anne_h, does the FedEx pkg have a tracking number? I guess if you pull that up on fedex.com, I am almost positive it was sent from Annie's Florida address.

Yes, the FedEx package had a tracking number. But when I enter it on fedex.com it doesn't (and never did) show the location of origin.

The only thing I can add is that on the generic "Commercial Invoice" that I found under the FedEx waybill (ie: the document with Anne Skakun's signature), there is a small field for "address", the contents of which I am unable to decipher. But it doesn't look to be consistent with Elana's home/business address which I see on the FedEx waybill. So it *could* be someone else's, possibly Ms. Skakun's (btw, I wasn't able to find a street address for her to cross-reference on her website you posted, just an email address).

So maybe your theory is better than mine... which is that the parcel spent some amount of time with Anne Skakun before finally getting to me. Although it if had been there for stringing, I don't know why Elana would go to the trouble of telling me twice she strung it herself, and that she shipped it directly from her own location.

Painful to experience, but definitely more fun to try to dissect after the fact. lol

Anne

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results