shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Winston Inspired Micropave Halo

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1304396872|2910830 said:
I think Charmy might actually be selling her ring by Maytal. With the center stone. At least I know she was considering it.

Maybe if she consigns through Pearlmans or JBEG a match between seller and buyer could be made. Just a thought.

I think she was only selling the center stone? I saw it listed earlier on another site but now do not see it. It certainly is a beautiful modern cushion

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marshalls|1304394340|2910802 said:
What I want is to put my trust in the ring crafter because I want him to ensure me this ring will shine. (Though this is probably a VERY UNLIKELY scenario) but I am slightly worried that if something goes wrong or the ring isnt bright/sparkly, I dont want Steven to tell me its because the diamond was chosen incorrectly and when I ask Mark, he would tell me its because the setting wasn't done right. Again, a very unlikely situation but its just something that could happen. Outside of that, I will contact Mark and Steven tomorrow and inquire their prices. Additionally, I believe JA has an office in the diamond district too. So should I buy a ring from them, this whole walk across the street thing might work out just as well... I will update you guys more tomorrow! :wavey:

this is a very unlikely scenario. First, Mark will not sell you a poorly cut or dull cushion and based on the recent photo's of Steven's work I don't think he'd give you a poorly crafted setting. My guess is Mark and Steven know each other due to Steven's prior work with Leon an Mark's previous relationship with Leon. If they don't, they should meet anyway b/c my guess is there will be others to use the two of them in the future. Can't wait to see how your quotes turn out and what you decide!!

Marshalls

Rough_Rock
I got a quote from the jewelers today. Heres the boogie breakdown:

A) JA Stone + Maytal Setting = $8k + $3.3k = $11.3k Total
B) Maytal Stone + Maytal Setting = Price to be determined (She is out diamond hunting for me right now, but she will not charge me for the stone, she will just pass the price down to me)
C) JA Stone + Steven Setting = $8k + $4.6k = $12.6k Total
D) Steven Stone + Steven Setting = $13k Total

Both of the jewelers were very nice but I think I liked Maytal more. When I called Steven, I can tell he was trying to sell me a ring. When I called Maytal, I felt like she was more on my side trying to help make me the ring. Steven was still very nice, I just think Maytal was easier to work with.

That being said, I was advised by Maytal to change my specifications and go with 1.5 carat SI1 clarity instead of VS2 and increase the I color to H color. She said theres a big jump between H and I where I is where I will start to see some faint yellowness... That made sense to me but I just want to confirm with you guys this is true.

Also, which choice should I go with from the list above?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what is the JA stone?

also I agree, I would look for a H color or above with a halo setting. but that is my personal preference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I think being comfortable with your designer is very important. That said, I would still pick Steven over Maytal. I think he specializes in Pave and since the setting you are talking about is all pave-- that should be your primary concern. The first time I had my setting done I went with personality. The second time I went with skill at pave. I am much happier with my choice the second time around.

Marshalls

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1304462780|2911526 said:
Well, I think being comfortable with your designer is very important. That said, I would still pick Steven over Maytal. I think he specializes in Pave and since the setting you are talking about is all pave-- that should be your primary concern. The first time I had my setting done I went with personality. The second time I went with skill at pave. I am much happier with my choice the second time around.

I dont know how to double quote but the reason I liked Maytal was that based on Charmypoo's HW inspired ring I am confident she can do a good job (a.k.a. proven track record). I haven't seen any pictures of that specific ring made by Steven - maybe its because I didn't look hard enough, can someone post pictures of a Steven Kirsch made HW Inspired Micropave Halo?

To answer slg47's reply:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1350174.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1289970.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1325928.asp

Unless you guys can find something else in a comparable price, thats all I found. Everything else seems to have an inclusion somewhere noticable.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Marshalls

Rough_Rock
Both of those look like very nice rings. However, I feel a bit uncomfortable when someone is making me something new without a proven track record. I have no doubt Steven is experienced given he is able to ask such a high price. However, I just appreciate that the specific ring I want has been done by this exact person. (Plus, her price more reasonably fit my budget)

Could the following replies please vote on the 4 choices and what you'd choose? I appreciate it, thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't vote. Not enough information on any of the center stones. Are the JA stones all eyeclean? Do you have an ASET for each of them so we cna evaluate light performance?

The center stone is the star, a lot depends on the actual diamond. I vote prettiest stone you can find by any vendor plus Steven Halo.

Marshalls

Rough_Rock
The GOG is nice but I kind of liked JA because their prices are better. I can acquire ASET images whenevr I like. Just tell me which one looks good and I can request the images.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As for 'proven track record'... the Harry Winston style is NOT Maytal's style. That means it's not what she specializes in, BUT she did a ring for Charmy. One ring. Maytal couldn't go below 1 pointers on the pave (and the HW halo, since I have seen it in person, does have smaller melee that one pointers on the one carat stones). She's not the best person for this job-- if you are talking track record, skill and style.

http://www.timelessluxury.net/classic-rings.html As for Steven there are at least 6 rings on his site that ARE HW style-- look through the pics. Including a gorgeous canary cushion on page 6 with a HW halo that is to die for. Steven specializes in pave. He specializes in this style.

I am telling you this as someone who has no vested interest, but has your best interests at heart.

Yes, Maytal can do it. With one pointers. The halo will not look like a HW ring though because HW doesn't use one pointers on one carat- 1.5 ct center stones.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Marshalls|1304465388|2911571 said:
The GOG is nice but I kind of liked JA because their prices are better. I can acquire ASET images whenevr I like. Just tell me which one looks good and I can request the images.

I don't think any of them look like they are worth requesting images for, but you can go ahead and do so. I would just call GOG and ask them to source you a nice modern cushion since Jon has an eye for cushions. Or you can call ERD, Mark has sourced many beautiful modern cushions (including Charmy's). Since you are getting a halo style, I would drop the carat size down to ~1.25 and look for a cushion with great optics because the difference between a haloed 1.25 carat and 1.5 carat is negligible.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1304465677|2911576 said:
Marshalls|1304465388|2911571 said:

I don't think any of them look like they are worth requesting images for, but you can go ahead and do so. I would just call GOG and ask them to source you a nice modern cushion since Jon has an eye for cushions. Or you can call ERD, Mark has sourced many beautiful modern cushions (including Charmy's). Since you are getting a halo style, I would drop the carat size down to ~1.25 and look for a cushion with great optics because the difference between a haloed 1.25 carat and 1.5 carat is negligible.

What she said. Again... we are referring you to people with the best proven track record for what you want.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you like JA-- I think these two are slightly better than the JA ones you posted. Of course they cost a little more too.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1336144.asp Ask if it is a bright stone and eyeclean. Have one of their Gemologists evaluate it and give you their thoughts. If they green light it, get an ASET. Ask why the Symmetry is only "Good." ETA: Symmetry is only "Good" because of extra facets. Ask Gemologist what he thinks of the look of the stone's facets.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1372937.asp The table is a bit on the large side but if the crown height is good (they can tell you that)-- over 11% then you can find out what the Gemologist there thinks (is it a bright and lively stone?) and if it is eyeclean. If they green light it, get an ASET.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Marshalls|1304463322|2911534 said:
Gypsy|1304462780|2911526 said:

I dont know how to double quote but the reason I liked Maytal was that based on Charmypoo's HW inspired ring I am confident she can do a good job (a.k.a. proven track record). I haven't seen any pictures of that specific ring made by Steven - maybe its because I didn't look hard enough, can someone post pictures of a Steven Kirsch made HW Inspired Micropave Halo?

To answer slg47's reply:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1350174.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1289970.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1325928.asp

Unless you guys can find something else in a comparable price, thats all I found. Everything else seems to have an inclusion somewhere noticable.

Two of the above JA's have dark inclusions on the table. I don't think they'll be eye clean. (Only the 1.51 seems to have potential - I haven't looked at the other ones suggested yet.)

In terms of whether to go for an H, for me, the split between H and I is where I start to see a tinge. It's not yellow by any means. Anything H and above is still clear to me - just slightly different variations of clear.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1304465525|2911572 said:
As for 'proven track record'... the Harry Winston style is NOT Maytal's style. That means it's not what she specializes in, BUT she did a ring for Charmy. One ring. Maytal couldn't go below 1 pointers on the pave (and the HW halo, since I have seen it in person, does have smaller melee that one pointers on the one carat stones). She's not the best person for this job-- if you are talking track record, skill and style.

http://www.timelessluxury.net/classic-rings.html As for Steven there are at least 6 rings on his site that ARE HW style-- look through the pics. Including a gorgeous canary cushion on page 6 with a HW halo that is to die for. Steven specializes in pave. He specializes in this style.

I am telling you this as someone who has no vested interest, but has your best interests at heart.

Yes, Maytal can do it. With one pointers. The halo will not look like a HW ring though because HW doesn't use one pointers on one carat- 1.5 ct center stones.

huge ditto to this. and Charmy had a second ring made by Leon for a reason. (and a wedding band made by Steven)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
From what I have seen on here (and believe me, I stalk this website daily), if I were in your shoes, I would find my own stone (from JA, since that is who you seem to prefer) and have Steven do the setting. His pave work looks amazing to me and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Marshalls

Rough_Rock
I have conFirmed with JA who said none of my SI1 is eye clean so that's a no go. But the 2 VS2 are eye clean and bright stones. The reason one has a good symmetry is because the facets are not aligned perfectly, not because of extra facets. 1372937 is bright but they guy doesn't have the diamond in front of him. I have asked for the ASETs the two VS2 clarity and also this one

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1281556.asp

That was recommended to me by the vendor. They are slightly pricier but they couldnt find an eye clean SI1 H colored 1.5ct with less than 1.1 Ratio. I will upload the images here once I receive them.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if this is something you care about, but I would be turned off by JA's upgrade policy, which requires that you spend two times the amount of your original stone on any upgrade. If you don't care about upgrading in the future, ignore my post, but if you do you might want to consider each vendor's upgrade policy.
http://www.jamesallen.com/about-us/upgrade-policies.html

That being said, here's another vote for buying the most beautiful center stone possible, and have Steven make the setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marshalls|1304476049|2911753 said:
I have conFirmed with JA who said none of my SI1 is eye clean so that's a no go. But the 2 VS2 are eye clean and bright stones. The reason one has a good symmetry is because the facets are not aligned perfectly, not because of extra facets. 1372937 is bright but they guy doesn't have the diamond in front of him. I have asked for the ASETs the two VS2 clarity and also this one

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1281556.asp

That was recommended to me by the vendor. They are slightly pricier but they couldnt find an eye clean SI1 H colored 1.5ct with less than 1.1 Ratio. I will upload the images here once I receive them.

I saw that one and thought it was well priced and nice.

Looking forward to the ASETs

Marshalls

Rough_Rock
No ASETs from JA yet but got some quotes from Steven Kirsch.

1.51 H SI1- $7000
1.54 H VS2- $8000
1.50 I VS1- $6500

He sent me the GIA report for the I VS1. Can you guys tell if its any good? There are several things I am worried about:

1) Symmetry and Polish is only Good
2) LW ratio is over 1.1

Remember I am asking for the HW Inspired Halo. I am worried that this stone will look too rectangular and also the facets won't look as pretty. He will send me pictures of it tomorrow using his camera.

The price is very nice for a VS1 but that nice clarity rating seems to have weighed down all other stats... What do you guys think?

1.5%20I%20VS1.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would wait for the images.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. You just can't judge cushions based on numbers alone. The pictures will help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with H color and VS clarity, and I'd try for very good or better on polish and symmetry.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
So sorry for joining so late - I am on vacation :)

Anyways, I will chime in here but will be a bit contained in my responses. At the end of the day, you want to go to the best for what you want. If you are picky, saving a few bucks will end up costing you more.

For cushion diamonds - I will only purchase from GOG, ERD, Leon Mege, SingleStone and JbEG. My preference would be going to ERD for a modern cushion, ERD/Leon Mege for a generic antique cushion, and GOG for an AVC. I have found ERD and Leon Mege's prices to be the lowest. Leon Mege has more flexibility especially if you are making a ring from him.

For a Harry Winston inspired setting, I would no question go to Leon or Steven - you are looking at around $4 - $5 K here if not more. Don't get me wrong ... I love my Maytal Hannah ring but I think you get the gist based on what others have said. I have said it many times but what makes/breaks a ring for me is not just the pave work but the actually flow of the ring. Leon and Steven is absolutely amazing in this and I find very few others can do it ... I am still unable to explain this concept well but it is critical to how good a ring looks. As an example, I think Victor's pave is very good but the flow isn't where Leon and Steven is .. however, take it with a grain of salt .. I have never seen his work in person.

ETA: I am not going to sell my Maytal Hannah ring and diamond even though it just sits in the ring box. Every time I got a real offer (and always at or more than my asking price) .... I get a ping of can't let it go. It just means ... I don't want to sell it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results