shape
carat
color
clarity

Harriet please help me prioritize what stones to buy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
CMW,
I speak the truth, as your photos show.

Sparkles,
Do get in touch with Richard M. He''ll steer you in the right direction.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
colormyworld, WOW. Love the oval spinel.

Harriet once again thankyou for your advice.

Will contact Richard M.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anytime, as long as I get to see your collection the next time I''m home.
9.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
thank you sparkles. May I suggest that when you look for your spinel don't worry so much about origin but instead look for the brightest most vivid hue you like. Of course clarity and cutting will play a part. Though IMO color is KING.

Edited to add; Try to avoid brownish tones.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkles,
I agree with Colormyworld. Firstly, I look for colour that grabs me. Inclusions, I tolerate and sometimes even welcome. I'm not sure if you know, but the GIA has three different categories of clarity. Certain species, such as rubellite, are expected to be included. As for cutting, I don't look for perfection, unlike in a diamond. As long as it is reasonable and does not interfere with the stone's performance, I don't mind. My apologies if this is information overload.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Sparkles, for starting this thread. You have managed to scare up some of our colored stone experts and this is very informative!

BlueSea

Rough_Rock
Yes, this is very informative - thank you all. And Colormyworld, thanks for posting those red spinels. Such beautiful color!!!

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
colormyworld

Do you have anything suggestions in terms of where and how to source the red spinel please.

Thanks.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you sparkles. I think Harriet has made some very good suggestions as to the where to look. I can only add that you take your time and look at as many differnt stones as you can. Also who ever you deal with be sure they have a good return policy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 7:11:38 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Chrono:

Re: blue spinels -

What about this one?

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40

Asking as you love spinels, were looking at blues and I want to learn from your knowledgeable self, an opinion of it.

I love that spinel, however am not an oval person. I am in love with it on all other counts, though.

Thanks, Sonoma
Sonoma,
I have seen that one in person and commented on it on PS already. I am very picky so please take my comments with a grain of salt. Many would find that spinel lovely but it''s too dark, has too much extinction and gray in it for me. As an oval cut though, it doesn''t have that dreaded bowtie due to the cutting style.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkles,
Great colour but as anyone can see, this stone is sorely in need of a recut, hence I'm getting it "prettied up". This is my Vietnamese red spinel with pink fluoro.

Viet 259.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CMW,
I had no idea those 2 are Vietnamese in origin. I''ve seen you post them but the colour is so wonderful I automatically assumed they are Burmese. That goes to show colour is the deciding factor in buying gemstones, not origin.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see a natural fissure in the pavilion too. This will be cut out and the culet recentered.

fissure.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taken under incandescent lighting. As you can see, the colour is good here too. I'm hoping that the recut will also remove the extinction and some of the darkness in the stone.

ETA
For some strange reason, after resizing the pictures, the spinel looks more brownish pink than red. The original picture shows a very red stone.

incandescent.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results