shape
carat
color
clarity

Happy belated Christmas - how bout some red and green? Spinel & Tsavorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.2 AIGS certified Tanzanian spinel of pinkish orange color. It looks more red than pink to me, but that was the color designation by the AIGS.

2.1 ct tsavorite. I've shown this before, but I love the green with the red.

The spinel has a slight bit of silk that makes really lessens the extinction, but not so much that it is sleepy. It does sparkle. The tsavorite is more blue than my pictures depict. Photo taken in natural diffused white light underneath a glass gem case box top. Sorry for the smudges.

TLtsavandspinel8.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The spinel goes ruby red in sunlight due to the fluor. It's redder than this picture, but I love the glow. There are some inclusions in the tip of the stone, but they're not visible to the naked eye.

TLspinelfluor2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another shot of the fluor.

TLspinelfluor1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In incandescent light the spinel goes more orange, and the tsavorite still holds it's color. They reminded me of the Xmas foiled hershey kisses here. Thanks for looking. I've been on a spinel kick lately, and I've been looking forever for a smaller one that is more of a reddish color.

TLspineltsavkisses.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the pear with two other spinels. The smaller one on the left is a small Burmese hot pink spinel, but the color is not as saturated as the pear. I thought it was pretty until I got this stone. This picture taken in natural diffused light.

TLspinelandtsav13.JPG

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, those are jaw-droppers.
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Liane.

I already ordered a setting for the pear!! Having trouble finding an oval setting I like for the tsavorite.
8.gif
However, I do want to set that one next. I wish they were 20x larger and I could dangle the tsavorite oval from the pear.
31.gif
Talk about Christmas!!

If anyone remembers back, I ordered two reddish pinkish orange spinels from Multicolour.com. The saturation was supposed to be strong on those stones, but it wasn't. I returned them, and I'm so glad to have found this one after looking FOREVER!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
WOW! can''t wait to see them set!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A-a-h! Love red or pink and green together. I really wait for someone to combine these two together in one ring or pendant.

Beautiful, beautiful color combination.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome eye popping colour! You have STOP and GO colours. Throw your spess in the middle so I can slow down. No wait, your spess is way too orange to pass for the caution traffic light.
11.gif
9.gif
Great purchase TL and smart move on getting it certified.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty!! Love the colors together.
36.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
hi TL
beautiful spinel =)
may i know where did you buy it from?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/i2/2010 5:25:56 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here is the pear with two other spinels. The smaller one on the left is a small Burmese hot pink spinel, but the color is not as saturated as the pear. I thought it was pretty until I got this stone. This picture taken in natural diffused light.

TL, I am still trying to find out this phenomenon in my spinel, so would you be so kind as to explain to me, what this shadow is on your new spinel in this picture, when she is lying in the box with two other stones? It is amost you can see two red "eyes" on her? What is this shadow? Is it "bowtie" or something else? Because this is exactly what I am seeing in my stone, just to be sure? Is it a bowtie? Is it something frequently seen in spinels?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 11:41:37 PM
Author: crasru

Date: 1/i2/2010 5:25:56 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

TL, I am still trying to find out this phenomenon in my spinel, so would you be so kind as to explain to me, what this shadow is on your new spinel in this picture, when she is lying in the box with two other stones? It is amost you can see two red 'eyes' on her? What is this shadow? Is it 'bowtie' or something else? Because this is exactly what I am seeing in my stone, just to be sure? Is it a bowtie? Is it something frequently seen in spinels?
The two white sparks in that picture are just sparkles, or light reflecting back, off the back facets. This is normal. Any dark spots in the stone are facet shadows, and they are also normal.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words - Bella, Catmom, Haagen, Crasru.

Date: 1/12/2010 10:06:28 PM
Author: Chrono
Awesome eye popping colour! You have STOP and GO colours. Throw your spess in the middle so I can slow down. No wait, your spess is way too orange to pass for the caution traffic light.
11.gif
9.gif
Great purchase TL and smart move on getting it certified.
I'm not into yellow stones Chrono, so I can't make a traffic light. Sorry!! Thank you for the kind words.
9.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uph...I am going to apologize to Eric. I was seeing it all the time in my stone and was really bothered by this thing. So it is not extinction, nothing like this, just a phenomenon related to faceting!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 11:52:06 PM
Uph...I am going to apologize to Eric. I was seeing it all the time in my stone and was really bothered by this thing. So it is not extinction, nothing like this, just a phenomenon related to faceting?
Yes, your stone doesn''t appear to have any natural extinction, so those are definitely facet shadows you''re seeing. They''re quite normal and expected in all transparent faceted stones.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 9:29:36 PM

A-a-h! Love red or pink and green together. I really wait for someone to combine these two together in one ring or pendant.

Beautiful, beautiful color combination.
...and in 22k yellow gold for a total maharani look!

Beautiful stones TL!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
So red and pretty!

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
wow they are gorgeous TL - I love the colours of both of them!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 11:41:37 PM
TL, I am still trying to find out this phenomenon in my spinel, so would you be so kind as to explain to me, what this shadow is on your new spinel in this picture, when she is lying in the box with two other stones? It is amost you can see two red ''eyes'' on her? What is this shadow? Is it ''bowtie'' or something else? Because this is exactly what I am seeing in my stone, just to be sure? Is it a bowtie? Is it something frequently seen in spinels?
Crasru,
That is 100% NOT a bowtie. It is facet shadowing. If this is what you see in your stone, it is definitely not a bow tie. Also, it is not something that is exclusive to spinels.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
They''re great!!!!!!!

Crystal keeper

Rough_Rock
Those are excellent. The colors are very very nice. That tsav has such a rich green color to it. You pick very good stones and must have a good eye for them. The hershey kiss picture is great. I have seen some of the other posters taking photos in flowers which I think is very cool and this one next to the candy is just as nice. Great color combo. Well done tourmaline lover

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones are absolutely great specimens. What gorgeous colors! That Tsav is beautiful and I''m usually not drawn to the greens. I love the Hershey''s kiss shot.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stones!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all shots, but in the second one, it looks almost extraterrestrial. Fantastic glow!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful and vivid stones! I can''t wait to see them set:)

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Love your new pear
30.gif
Thanks for the update on the Multicolour spinels, too -- I''d been curious about that :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you found a setting you like for these yet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results