shape
carat
color
clarity

Handmade Rings vs. Machine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

novolover

Rough_Rock
Are handmade rings of a different quality than that of machine made? I''m looking at Tiffany Novo replicas and inspirations and somehow they all look a little subpar. I''m trying to figure out whether or not it''s the extremely high quality photography or the artisanship involved.

I love this handmade ring, but I am not sure if it the basket is crooked, or just a poor picture: https://www.artdecodiamonds.com/products.php?id=2113

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
‘Handmade’ is a funny word when it comes to metalwork. Pretty much by definition, it all requires tools so the key question becomes deciding what tools are acceptable and which are not while retaining the ‘handmade’ moniker. Is it ‘handmade if the craftsman uses a laser welder to assemble the piece? What if some parts are cast or die struck? I think the folks at Tiffany could reasonably argue that their products are, for the most part, all handmade because there is so much individual work that goes into them. Others would that the position that almost no jewelry beyond shell necklaces are.

Not all craftsmen are of equal skills. Some do a better job of handmaking things than others (however you define that term.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results