shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand worked versus CAD

P

PierreBear

PS experts,

Can you please educate me on whether a bezeled halo look is better done via hand work or CAD? Attached is a picture but if there is someone else who can provide a real life example of this look, it would be appreciated.

When would you use hand forge versus CAD/mold etc... If inconsistencies both me then should hand work not be used?
Any recommendations on who can best achieve this look?

Thanks in advance!

halooo.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was cast and hand finished by Caysie van Bebber's bench. I personally don't see how a bezel could be better than this, but certainly you may find a handforged one just as good.

_36911.jpg

_36912.jpg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my completely hand-forged halo in a bezel by Single Stone. The milgrain was impeccable and barely discernable, it was that delicate and not appear like blobs at all. I loved all the subtle details they put into the piece.

cam00707_edit0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, great point! My milgrain is so tiny that it is hard to see in real life viewing. I like that it stands up to macro photography, though!

_36915.jpg

2016-03-21_15.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are cast, the one for my EC diamond was made as a semi-mount in platinum and I had my EC diamond re-set in the UK by a local jeweller.

The Amethyst ring was made with my own stone in 14K WG.

Both made by eBay vendor diamondmounts.

ecreset_d.jpg

imag0404.jpg

Another bezel with halo, a heart shaped Ruby, in platinum, cast I believe (I would not recommend the vendor):

bigrubyheart02.jpg

DK :))

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert, but here's an EC in a hand-forged bezel by Vram.

_34608.jpg

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-vram-iris-solitaire.216262/

By its nature, I think hand-worked has a more organic look/feel vs cad/cast which has computer precision. Although from what I've seen, LM, VC, and SK have very precise styles. But if inconsistencies bother you, cad/cast might be an easier way to achieve the look you're going for. You might consider going to a vendor who does both cast and hand-forge (BE and CVB come to mind) and asking which method they would recommend.

P

PierreBear

Thanks for explaining the differences. Also side question, the milgrain that are so tiny to see in real life, does that get rubbed off or worn down overtime? I enjoy the look of it but wonder if it will require maintenance down the line. I appreciate the help!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any kind of milgrain is subject to wear. I am careful and don't rub my rings on things, so mine really don't show any wear. But you can get milgrain touched up if you wish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results