shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand forged vs casting

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm interested in the topic so if you don't have a writer on staff...let me know. i'm by no means soliciting my services, this would be for fun. My username is the same on Loupetroop w/ my email address.

I think this is such a great idea. I can't believe how hard it was for me to learn the most basic elements of how jewelry is actually made -- and it really helped me communicate better with those who are in the trade and craft. (Many in the trade are just as ignorant of the actual craft as I am, weirdly.) I mean I can find a million posts and web sites on the "4Cs" -- way more, actually. And then just as many ten-word descriptions of how stones are set, but nothing that paints a mental image of the process or the skill involved.

The most useful thing for me has been following some of the international "setting schools" on IG -- "so that's how they do that!" Even learning that "hammer setting" is just using a little pneumatic "hammer" around the perimeter and not some Thor-era weapon on an anvil. Watching experts incise and push metal with their super-sharp engraving tools to brighten and smooth a bezel. Watching how pave is actually set. It's so easy to see the steps that can jeopardize a fragile stone and it's so easy to get new ideas about what is possible in your own mental jewelry designs. Even seeing the step-by-step IG jump-cut videos is super eye-opening: casting stock, milling the stock into bars or wires, fabricating new elements, assembling, engraving, etc.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think this is such a great idea. I can't believe how hard it was for me to learn the most basic elements of how jewelry is actually made -- and it really helped me communicate better with those who are in the trade and craft. (Many in the trade are just as ignorant of the actual craft as I am, weirdly.) I mean I can find a million posts and web sites on the "4Cs" -- way more, actually. And then just as many ten-word descriptions of how stones are set, but nothing that paints a mental image of the process or the skill involved.

The most useful thing for me has been following some of the international "setting schools" on IG -- "so that's how they do that!" Even learning that "hammer setting" is just using a little pneumatic "hammer" around the perimeter and not some Thor-era weapon on an anvil. Watching experts incise and push metal with their super-sharp engraving tools to brighten and smooth a bezel. Watching how pave is actually set. It's so easy to see the steps that can jeopardize a fragile stone and it's so easy to get new ideas about what is possible in your own mental jewelry designs. Even seeing the step-by-step IG jump-cut videos is super eye-opening: casting stock, milling the stock into bars or wires, fabricating new elements, assembling, engraving, etc.

Are there any specific IGs you can recommend? I’d love to see some videos like that!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any specific IGs you can recommend? I’d love to see some videos like that!

@gerardi_setting_school
@gary_roe_

These other two I am less familiar with but have looked at or they pop up in my Reels, etc:

@alexandreschool
@mcdiamondsetting

For example, the milgraining pattern is "rolled" on with a wheel like a pizza-cutter. Who knew?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results