shape
carat
color
clarity

Halos with the least amount of visible metal?

HockeyChick

Rough_Rock
I'm only about 80% sure I'm going to go with a halo, but if I do a halo, I want to have the least amount of metal showing, both top and side. So I'm looking for recommendations of settings that might fit the bill. I've seen some halos where the stones were sort of angled down which seem like a good option. I'll probably end up going custom but I haven't yet found a good picture of a setting I'd want to go with.

I have a 6.5 finger and we're looking at stones that are in the 2.5-3.5 range, probably on the smaller side of that scale if we do go with a halo. It will be a pear. I really haven't seen a single pear solitaire mount that I like which is why I'm leaning halo.

For the band, I'm intending to go with something like a uternity band. For wedding bands I'd want smaller shared prong on either side, stacked like this: http://www.adiamor.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/eternity-stack.jpg

Considered but not quite right:
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/masterwork-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-18kt-white-gold/6288 - Haven't liked the pictures I've seen of real examples.
http://www.tacori.com/37-2cu65 - Not sure if the flowery mount goes with the style I'm aiming for.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-331ct-w-x-vs2-pear-shape-gia-amazing-stone-r5218 - Ok this one is WAY out there, but I fell in love with it. I fear with the stones so large, it will just be too much and if you make the stones smaller, the basket might get a little too intense. This ring is the one I'm most attracted to though (just not with colored stones, and honestly the same setting with all clear stones on their website just doesn't look as amazing)

I don't wear much jewelry normally...but I love it. I'm sure the DBL setting on top of the stacked bands is ridiculously over the top but I still wish I could see it on my finger, heh. Trying on things has radically shifted my opinions around already.

So tell me...what are some halo settings with minimal metal that I should consider? :) I'm in Dallas, so far I've only been to Bailey Banks & Biddle. Wish I were in NYC to check out Diamonds by Lauren!!

HockeyChick

Rough_Rock
Here's a terribly quick photoshop of what I was figuring is probably in the "too much" territory.

mock.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HockeyChick|1446865818|3946521 said:
I'm only about 80% sure I'm going to go with a halo, but if I do a halo, I want to have the least amount of metal showing, both top and side.

The metal showing is also the metal holding things together. With a name like HockeyChick you sound like an active person and if that's the case, I would caution you against holding on to the diamonds in your ring with least amount of holding points. It looks great in pictures and even on your hand...as long as your hand is not moving around and bumping into things. Please consider HOW you will be wearing this and how often, since the more use it gets, the more metal you'll want grabbing those expensive diamonds. By more metal I mean more points of engagement. They can be smallish, but the more points holding on, the better the chances of things staying put.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I have the DBL style ring and really love it. But mine is a yellow cushion diamond surrounded by pink diamonds and the center stone is around 1.5cts-can't remember exactly. It's a fairly showy ring even at a relatively small size compared to what you're talking about. I guess it depends on your lifestyle and wear you live if you'd want something as large as you're talking about. And I think that the style halo would lose something if you went with smaller diamonds and the basket wouldn't work as well.

HockeyChick

Rough_Rock
Michael_E|1446879490|3946545 said:
HockeyChick|1446865818|3946521 said:
I'm only about 80% sure I'm going to go with a halo, but if I do a halo, I want to have the least amount of metal showing, both top and side.

The metal showing is also the metal holding things together. With a name like HockeyChick you sound like an active person and if that's the case, I would caution you against holding on to the diamonds in your ring with least amount of holding points. It looks great in pictures and even on your hand...as long as your hand is not moving around and bumping into things. Please consider HOW you will be wearing this and how often, since the more use it gets, the more metal you'll want grabbing those expensive diamonds. By more metal I mean more points of engagement. They can be smallish, but the more points holding on, the better the chances of things staying put.

I definitely have some activities in my life. I wouldn't be able to play with any sort of ring jewelry on though, so I'm not sure if it would be an issue. You do make a valid point about wearability of course.

LLJsmom|1446880293|3946546 said:

Thank you! I've checked that one out. I love the attention to detail. In that example, the LM ring is what I'm hoping to avoid, at least from the side profile. That Victor Canera one catches my eye for sure.

pinkjewel|1446891551|3946556 said:
I have the DBL style ring and really love it. But mine is a yellow cushion diamond surrounded by pink diamonds and the center stone is around 1.5cts-can't remember exactly. It's a fairly showy ring even at a relatively small size compared to what you're talking about. I guess it depends on your lifestyle and wear you live if you'd want something as large as you're talking about. And I think that the style halo would lose something if you went with smaller diamonds and the basket wouldn't work as well.

Your ring is beautiful! I'm having a hard time figuring out an appropriate size, especially since I haven't figured out what type of halo (if at all) I'm going with. That will definitely change the size of the stone. Not knowing better, we went to Robbin's Brothers to try on some stuff and get ideas, and the best they could show me was a 1.5ct pear unset. They wanted us to put deposits down to order larger stones just to look at. I found it completely unhelpful as far as figuring out size. At Bailey Banks & Biddle they had a 2ct pear with a halo that I could at least try on to get an idea. Any suggestions on where I could go to do more trying on of different sized stones? Even trying on fake stones would be helpful since I'm just trying to figure out what size is appropriate. I understand it's not really realistic for them to keep such large pear stones in stock so perhaps I'm just dreaming...

Thanks y'all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results