shape
carat
color
clarity

Hail me a CAB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
*** no flaming! purty please! ***

I have a vague memory growing up ...mid-80s/Preppy Handbook Era maybe ... of a period in time that Cabochon cuts were all the rage and that faceted gemstones were, um, less fashionable .. maybe even considered OverTheTop.

Now, I was in a tiny private school in the South - so I can''t claim my finger was on the pulse!!
1.gif
I was just curious how accurate this vague vague memory was -- and how accurate that trend/perception was in the world outside my teensy snobby bubble AT THAT TIME.

I think it really colored (ha) my perceptions about faceted gemstones for many, many, many years -- probably until recently. And I''ll admit - I probably STILL favor the placid, clean, gumdrop beauty of CABS ... seemingly coming BACK in style, with Tiff''s Sugarloaf line etc.

Other recollections? Reality check?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i am personally very fond of cabachons. i have seen some beautiful ones over the years but can''t identify with the 80''s period of popularity you remember. it could very well have been i just have no knowledge of it. i do know connie chung used to wear a beautiful green cabachon ring and i have not seen her wear it for years. i notice if i catch her on tv since i liked it so well. i don''t remember which site i was looking at but in the last two years i saw a couple of beautiful colored cabs.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I love the title of this thread..

I''m a huge cab fan...especially sugarloafs (sugarloaves?). I don''t remember them ever being ''all the rage''. Being so much less glittery, I think they''re an acquired taste.

When I needed a break from drooling over old yellow asschers, I amused myself drooling over this bracelet, which features sugarloaf cab emeralds.

I guess I wasn''t alone admiring it. Estimated vallue: 8-10 thou. Actual sale price: $47,000!!

widget

ShowImage 651.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love them too.
I always find myself checking this one anytime someone posts a link to cherry picked since it's on the front page of the gems section.
http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1754

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Widget,

Since you love emerald you'll no doubt like this gorgeous cab from Mya Nassi. It's a mere 15.59 carats and I've misplaced the price but it's a LOT!

Richard M.

1559ctcolombiamyanassibu9.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
OMG, Richard!!! That''s the most incredible emerald cab I''ve ever seen!!! WOW
23.gif

Thanks for posting that! (I''m surprised they cut that into a cabochon. If it were faceted, wouldn''t it be even more costly??)

widget

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them, for certain things. I like the Tiffany ones, little shots of color, so nice and fun...

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for posting that! (I''m surprised they cut that into a cabochon. If it were faceted, wouldn''t it be even more costly??)

widget

It certainly would all things being equal. I don''t know the story behind it and why it wasn''t faceted. I only know it amazed and delighted me when I saw the image. The seller had some awesome ruby cabs too. If I can find them again I''ll post images.

Richard M.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Widget and All,

Here''s a nice ruby cabochon ring (18.80 ct.) from the same dealer set in platinum with diamonds. The ruby is certed by Gubelein. Nice little bauble but I don''t know the price.

Richard M.

R-448_20060621104055.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results