shape
carat
color
clarity

Had you ever been banned from PS? If yes, did you know the reason why?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was banned for 8 hours 15 years or so ago.
I don't even recall what it was about.
Geez my life sure would be different if it hadn't been given another chance.

As far as telling on people, use a swear word, attack someone, or post spam and I will report it in a split second.
This place is like a second home to me and I hate seeing it tarnished.
It needs to be a supportive welcoming place for anyone and everyone and the political discussions were getting in the way of that.
Which is why I'm glad political discussion is gone even if I do miss it a little bit surprisingly.
There are a ton of places to discuss politics and PS not being one of them makes it even more special in my opinion.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
As far as telling on people, use a swear word, attack someone, or post spam and I will report it in a split second.
I KNEW IT! Others have mentioned it in the past and I disregarded it, but yet here you are admitting it. Snitching is for b!tches. I've defended you in the past. Those days are over now that I know. Go ahead and report me for using a "swear word". The one person I have ever reported was over a comment she made to you last month. Wish I could take it back now. I've never been banned or reprimanded, but I've likely been reported a time or ten.

This place is like a second home to me and I hate seeing it tarnished.
It needs to be a supportive welcoming place for anyone and everyone and the political discussions were getting in the way of that.
This is a false supposition. PS has NOT been tarnished, and RT, SMTB and various other sub-forums are very welcoming. It took me 4 years to get to Hangout, so I imagine it's similar for others. Political discussions are NOT getting in the way of people coming to PS for diamond purchase assistance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been banned, don't know if I've been reported - how do you know? I once got a warning and an edit for using the f word.
Do you use that word in class? :Up_to_something:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never been banned or received a warning on PS but I find PS really sane and tame compared to some of the other places I frequent!

PS is pretty fair imo. Let's just say there are some really bizzare places out there where the rules are "creative" and make no sense.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I KNEW IT! Others have mentioned it in the past and I disregarded it, but yet here you are admitting it.
It is no secret... I have stated so in the past.
What you said in this thread is not something id generaly report and dont recall ever reporting you.
I am sorry to have upset you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree, In fact, IMO there will be less traffic after political discussions have been banned.
I respectfully disagree as too many people have said they avoided hangout because of the political discussion.
It is going to to cause a slight dip in hangout for a while but it will go back up even higher as those people venture back.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quite enjoyed the political threads. Not being in the US, they gave me an insight into the concerns of different groups there, which was pretty educational.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stromy, The next time when you fart I'll report you. :tongue:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow 7 times @Dancing Fire and still standing. Maybe we should have a PS awards thread, you could get the "most resilient" award :D

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was told by admin that they would let the post stand unless the conversation turned incendiary, which it didn't, because the poster had lots of friends.

I find this interesting.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I report spam for sure. I don't recollect reporting a regular poster. I will just ignore the tirades mostly (or I join in...lol) boobs... its not a big deal most of us have them. even the men (moobs...lol)

I got banned for saying "your Jesus is apparently not mine" and it wasn't a Christian board! I was banned for "baiting".

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, In fact, IMO there will be less traffic after political discussions have been banned.

If I recall the last time political discussion was banned there was a hardcore dip in people posting, especially in hangouts.

I left the board for a while and not because of politics, but other reasons altogether which had little to do with 99.9% of the people here.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was once contacted by admin asking if I was working for DKJ, and letting me know I'd need to attach 'trade' to my profile if so. To be honest, I really appreciated them asking and felt it was nice of them to reach out to me like that. Apparently some rather less-than-charming people had contacted them about the number of jobs I'd done with DKJ, and my stellar reviews, and made the assumption I was a paid employee and ergo shilling. In all sincerity, I offered to send admin a copy of my receipts so they could see I was paying fair and square for every job I've ever done with DKJ, and never once got a freebie. I just wish the people who had reported me had been half as nice and asked, rather than accused.

I try to keep it above board and am fully aware of the rules. So when I had the PS get-together at my house, and 3 different vendors offered door prizes, I disqualified myself from entry.

I've reported spam and I've reported posts when people wanted them moved and didn't know how to do it. But in general, I don't think I've ever reported anyone for 'bad behavior'. I'm pretty good at just thinking "wow..." - then walking away.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Karl, I went back, at the time) to try to see why you were so upset at the thread.
You declared PS had fallen so low and was a disgrace, it was no wonder people didn't come to PS(I', paraphrasing). All I found were people discussing Jewish emigration into China . The two people Voce and MUsia conducted themselves with civility. Would you care to enlighten me as to what upset you so much? I'm not looking for a fight.

Annette

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Karl, I went back, at the time) to try to see why you were so upset at the thread.
You declared PS had fallen so low and was a disgrace, it was no wonder people didn't come to PS(I', paraphrasing). All I found were people discussing Jewish emigration into China . The two people Voce and MUsia conducted themselves with civility. Would you care to enlighten me as to what upset you so much? I'm not looking for a fight.

Annette
I do not know which thread your talking about sorry.
If it was a now prohibited topic then I could not comment anyway and by now some posts that violated the rules may have been deleted.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Annette

I don't want to link it, but if you put Economy into the search bar, the US GDP thread seems to be the one you're asking about.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I had one time out, a few years back. I know I've been reported, as people don't like being called on their sh!t lol. And apparently if someone is reporting swearing I should be long gone, I swear like a ... sailor. I'm sure I've reported comments in the past, but I generally just respond back - which tends to go sideways :lol:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thanks Demon.

Karl- the thread doesn't break the rules. Its on GDP. Your comments are on page 3.

Annette

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I respectfully disagree with you. Not everyone comes to hangout to buy diamonds etc that is RT and colored stones.. Hangout is a HANG OUT, where anything can and should be discussed that does not shill, illegal, **** etc. incitement.. heated disagreement is normal and many companies thrive on it (Intel for one)...

I respectfully disagree as too many people have said they avoided hangout because of the political discussion.
It is going to to cause a slight dip in hangout for a while but it will go back up even higher as those people venture back.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
I have never been banned. However, the majority of time spent here, I have avoided responding in the political posts..until just very recently.
I originally thought it pointless as the few conservatives who did respond to the litany of political threads which were very often (or devolved to) HatredofTrump and his supporters,distainofconservatives,republicans, they were often mocked, labeled racist, homophobic etc if they posted a differing opinion...

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I was once contacted by admin asking if I was working for DKJ, and letting me know I'd need to attach 'trade' to my profile if so. To be honest, I really appreciated them asking and felt it was nice of them to reach out to me like that. Apparently some rather less-than-charming people had contacted them about the number of jobs I'd done with DKJ, and my stellar reviews, and made the assumption I was a paid employee and ergo shilling. In all sincerity, I offered to send admin a copy of my receipts so they could see I was paying fair and square for every job I've ever done with DKJ, and never once got a freebie. I just wish the people who had reported me had been half as nice and asked, rather than accused.

I try to keep it above board and am fully aware of the rules. So when I had the PS get-together at my house, and 3 different vendors offered door prizes, I disqualified myself from entry.

I've reported spam and I've reported posts when people wanted them moved and didn't know how to do it. But in general, I don't think I've ever reported anyone for 'bad behavior'. I'm pretty good at just thinking "wow..." - then walking away.

I find this appalling that anyone intervened because of your work with DKJ in this manner. Not the admins, rather the people who reported you to begin with. You handled that far more gracefully than I likely would have. There has been nothing insincere about a single post I have seen of yours.

I consider this (largely) a place full of trustworthy folk who dole out valuable advice. I had a strange interference happen to me recently with anonymous PSers, and I was so upset about I nearly deleted my account (could I consider this banning PS?). I have actually felt a bit nervous about posting much that relates to my own projects and reported my own thread so that it could be taken down.

I admire that Karl admitted that he reports other people. He's entitled to and my agreement over details is irrelevant (I also have no such opinions, but if I did, it wouldn't matter and I would defend someone's right to report). But it is an honor system. For people to wreak havoc simply because they can without good cause, and even slander, and then not own up to it, is another matter entirely.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find this appalling that anyone intervened because of your work with DKJ in this manner. Not the admins, rather the people who reported you to begin with. You handled that far more gracefully than I likely would have. There has been nothing insincere about a single post I have seen of yours.

I consider this (largely) a place full of trustworthy folk who dole out valuable advice. I had a strange interference happen to me recently with anonymous PSers, and I was so upset about I nearly deleted my account (could I consider this banning PS?). I have actually felt a bit nervous about posting much that relates to my own projects and reported my own thread so that it could be taken down.

I admire that Karl admitted that he reports other people. He's entitled to and my agreement over details is irrelevant (I also have no such opinions, but if I did, it wouldn't matter and I would defend someone's right to report). But it is an honor system. For people to wreak havoc simply because they can without good cause, and even slander, and then not own up to it, is another matter entirely.

@annagene12 - thank you for those kind words.

For every jackass here, I've made 5 friends. So on balance, it's worth the occasional aggravation.

And I'm sorry you had a negative experience. People are often quick with venom, yet very slow with grace. I'm very glad, tho, that you didn't delete your account. :))

And - did you finally settle on a re-set? I've been following this process!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I have never been banned. However, the majority of time spent here, I have avoided responding in the political posts..until just very recently.
I originally thought it pointless as the few conservatives who did respond to the litany of political threads which were very often (or devolved to) HatredofTrump and his supporters,distainofconservatives,republicans, they were often mocked, labeled racist, homophobic etc if they posted a differing opinion...

And this is what happens even with moderated forums. I understand why it was closed after reading the stuff behind the scenes admins were having to deal with as well. I have to laugh when people say 'we're all adults'....apparently not! I had no idea people were acting like that or I would have backed out a lot more and let them have their echo chamber. With an unmoderated forum it would be like political hunger games in there.

I'll do my part to participate in other threads on hangout though (as long as DF keeps his clothes on). There is life beyond politics. ;-)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have used the report button before when someone is flagrantly violating TOS. For example, that crazy guy with the Rolex tattoo (among others) who first baited someone into an argument about guns and then made a threatening post along with pics of his semi-automatic weapon. And how can I forget Ms. Troll Supreme herself, good old Ruby, but only when she kept coming back using different screen names but the same poor grammar and obvious wording.
I’ve had warnings and I was banned way back in 2008 for several weeks for instigating some drama with another poster whose attention seeking posts really got my goat. What can I say? I’ve grown as a person since then. It was a long time ago and I did my time for the crime. Such is life on the Internet.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@annagene12 - thank you for those kind words.

For every jackass here, I've made 5 friends. So on balance, it's worth the occasional aggravation.

And I'm sorry you had a negative experience. People are often quick with venom, yet very slow with grace. I'm very glad, tho, that you didn't delete your account. :))

And - did you finally settle on a re-set? I've been following this process!

You are so sweet! And you are totally right. For the most part, it seems full of enormously kind folk! To delete my account would have been a mistake. After sleeping on it (a night or two) I realized that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time here and will just be a little more...cautious. I think most of all I just felt blindsided by any negative experience because it had all been so positive and I saw PS as a beacon during a period of darkness!

And I did decide on a reset! CADs are approved and I am SO EXCITED! I had deleted my thread (it was for good reason :(()...but promise I will share the final, glorious end result!:kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results