shape
carat
color
clarity

Had you ever ate any "fake meats" ?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are they any good? can you taste the difference?

Ain't no way I'll eat any fake meats. It'll probably kill you faster than eating real meats.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
By mistake i brought some fake chicken nuggets
I noticed before i cooked them but didn't tell the other hand till after he rejected them
They were disgusting

Im very suspicious of all the additives or GM or what ever they do to make a vegetable or soya bean 'taste' anything resembling meat
Its not for me
I know where my meat comes from and im comfortable eatting NZ beef and lamb that is farmed nointensively, outside eatting grass

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in HK, when visiting a temple, the food they served were meatless, and used soya based imitations instead.

Some were very tasty, and one could buy some of these in big oriental supermarkets in UK.

Apart from these, no.

I love tofu in all shapes and forms, and quite happily eat them instead of meat in small doses.

I would not be seen knowingly eating a veggie whatever, and only used Quorn mince to make chillies for vegetarians once in a blue moon.

My nod to Veganary at the start of this month was a bacon sandwich with crispy streaky bacon, buttered freshly made bread with Dijon mustard and black pepper, yum!

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had vegeburgers and bean-based burgers but wouldn't call that fake meat.
The packaging clearly stated the ingredients.

DF, is that what you mean by fake meat, or are you talking bout "meat" grown in a lab from material that originated from an animal and not from a plant?

I've read scientists are working on making meat that did not come from a living animal that had to be butchered.
I don't follow this so I don't know if it's commercially available yet.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the past I was a vegan and occasionally had "fake" meat but generally I ate beans and quinoa etc and eschewed the faux stuff. I found it was tasty however. My friend was just talking about this and she said some of the fake stuff out there is very delicious. I can no longer eat soy or wheat gluten or even beans so cannot speak to what is available now. But from what I hear it holds its own against animal protein.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
are they any good? can you taste the difference?

Ain't no way I'll eat any fake meats. It'll probably kill you faster than eating real meats.

I've had beyond burgers. The taste is ok but the smell is odd, unappetizing, and not at all like meat. There are plenty of other things I'd rather have instead.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to be a vegetarian albeit not a good one, really more of a
Carbatarian. Anyways for Thanksgiving one year we got a fake turkey loaf made by Quorn. I ended up getting violently sick from it.

Turns out that fake turkey loaf is made from mycoprotein which is a type of fungus that is grown in huge vats. Some people can't tolerate it and apparently I was one of the unlucky ones.

Needless to say now we just eat the real stuff.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fake meat as meat grown in a lab or as meat substitute like Impossible Burger or veggie burgers?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried an Impossible burger at a nice restaurant. It was delicious and did taste like a real burger. However, count me as one and done. If I want a plant-based burger, just give me a really good veggie burger.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in HK, when visiting a temple, the food they served were meatless, and used soya based imitations instead.

Some were very tasty, and one could buy some of these in big oriental supermarkets in UK.

Apart from these, no.

I love tofu in all shapes and forms, and quite happily eat them instead of meat in small doses.

I would not be seen knowingly eating a veggie whatever, and only used Quorn mince to make chillies for vegetarians once in a blue moon.

My nod to Veganary at the start of this month was a bacon sandwich with crispy streaky bacon, buttered freshly made bread with Dijon mustard and black pepper, yum!

DK :))

I've eaten the ones like @dk168 mentioned above. Even though they might have been called vegetarian chicken or duck, they didnt taste like meat so I just thought of them as another veggie option to eat, not as a meat substitute.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had Boca Burgers and Morningstar Farms burgers, but they are veggie burgers made from beans, and they are OK, They are not meat imitations. I have not had their "sausages" or "bacon".

However, I did once try seitan at a dinner party and it was horrible. But maybe it was the cook.
I would try it again if I knew it was prepared properly.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add the fake meats of the 70s have come a long way. I remember horrible excuses for a hamburger. Once we were traveling and stopped to get a faux meat burger. Oy and blechhh. My mom grabbed it from my hands (I was starving by the time we stopped) and she threw it down lol. She was horrified I was eating it. :lol: Just one example. IIRC meat substitutes from decades past we’re horrible. The modern day substitutes are far superior. However, like others here I prefer eating beans as an example over a faux meat substitute. Who knows what’s in them and I don’t particularly like the taste of meat anyway. :knockout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had Boca Burgers and Morningstar Farms burgers, but they are veggie burgers made from beans, and they are OK, They are not meat imitations. I have not has their "sausages" or "bacon".

However, I did once try seitan at a dinner party and it was horrible. But maybe it was the cook.
I would try it again if I knew it was prepared properly.

I can assure you if prepared properly they can be delicious. I so miss my fave vegan restaurant Angelikas kitchen in the East village. Oh they made the most yummy vegan meals and what they did with seitan. It was freaking delicious.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like protein that much. I'm fine with veggie burgers that are NOT trying to be meat. Know what I mean? I don't need an almost, impossible, meat experience. If I want meat, I eat meat.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, is that what you mean by fake meat, or are you talking bout "meat" grown in a lab from material that originated from an animal and not from a plant?
something like this?

1580068254369.png

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like protein that much. I'm fine with veggie burgers that are NOT trying to be meat. Know what I mean? I don't need an almost, impossible, meat experience. If I want meat, I eat meat.

This is how I feel. It actually creeps me out a bit that it's such a trend to have fake "meat". IMO a fresh ground beef burger is miles above a mass produced chemically enhanced processed item. Are vegans sitting around wringing their hands that they don't get to taste meat? I doubt it. So who is the target audience? Meat lovers who are trying to cut their meat consumption back? Why don't we just chose other delicious naturally vegan items? Like hummus or pasta aglio e olio. I dunno, I've tried the beyond burger and I don't think it tastes like beef, AND it's more calories than a beef burger lol.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
something like this?

1580068254369.png

Wouldn't plant-based qualify as a vegeburger?
That's not fake mean, it's real plant.
Why insult it?

The term "fake" carries negative baggage that is not deserved.
"Fake" is use by caveman powerful scumbags to manipulate and control low-IQ voters with no critical thinking skills. :nono:

I'm not a vegetarian and still enjoy a little beef, but I know that real meat from live animals is extremely consuming of our planet compared to plant-based proteins like soy.

I got no kids and maybe 20 years left on earth.
I think the earth may last that long.
I'd think parents who give a crap about their kids and grandkids would embrace cutting back on real meat to leave their progeny a better future.

Last edited:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
something like this?

1580068254369.png

That's not fake meat. It's a veggie burger made from peas, beans and brown rice. I would think you eat those foods on regular basis so what is so fake about them.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@baby monster @kenny
This is how Beyond meat advertises itself, how is this not considered fake meat? Its clearly trying to imitate beef.

The Beyond Burger is the world's first plant-based burger that looks, cooks, and satisfies like beef. It has all the juicy, meaty deliciousness of a traditional burger, but comes with the upsides of a plant-based meal. The Beyond Burger packs 20g of plant-based protein and has no GMOs, soy, or gluten

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
something like this?

1580068254369.png

Nope
never
never ever
will never pass my lips
its just wrong
its worse than margarine

However i like beans and i have no problem occasionally having a meat free meal
I also don't mind lentils added to things but once in 1983 i was vegetarian for a week
lentil burgers were disgusting

As an aside we had chicken bacon for christmas brrakfast one year - it was after Gary's heart attack and we were lookinh for all the healthy options
It smelt amazing
but it was really just smoked chicken
my sister is married to a strict vegetarian
She and the kids eat meat in moderation
when he's not around she hogs into the meat
she says bacon is the worst (to not have)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What does the Linda McCartney range taste like ?
Her sussages and patties have been on the market for years

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's why I only eat real butter!. If your gonna die may as well eat the real stuffs. I don't buy or eat anything imitation.

Another reason why i love Americans !
The love of butter
It just has so much flavour
i make this fat free banana pancake and fry the thing is so much butter !!!

Im not sure if this is cultural blasphemy but i love dumplings but have had a lot of trouble learning to cook them . (I buy them frozen).now i boil them for a few minutes from frozen them fry them in butter
the first time it was because i had run out of oil ...but they tasted soooooo good ive kept doing it

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you talking about the phony "meat" that's all the rage, no way, they have way to much sodium and are worse for people than real meat.
They would raise my blood pressure sky high.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
something like this?

1580068254369.png

I've had it twice and both times (cooked at home) it gave me incredibly bad gas (both ends) and my burps still smelled foul the following day. I'm trying to cut down on meat and would rather go without than eat beyond meat again.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought about it but reading the nutrition label on some of the products I changed my mind. Way to many calories and sodium. So much easier and more nutritious to make a veggie burger with beans.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have tried boca burgers and impossible burgers, as well as imitation chorizo, plant based chicken and sausage from Pieology, and I’m not even vegetarian. i tried them because a couple of my close friends ARE vegetarian and when I’m with them, I really try not to eat meat so that I don’t “gross them out.”

I have found that the imitation meats are tolerable, and some taste surprisingly like real meat. However, like most of the respondents above, I prefervegetarian food that doesn’t try to mimic meat. I love BBQ jackfruit tacos, or veggie burgers (with potato’s and grains). I think I can totally become vegetarian, as long as I don’t go vegan. I love my cheese (has to be real) and love my mayo!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@baby monster @kenny
This is how Beyond meat advertises itself, how is this not considered fake meat? Its clearly trying to imitate beef.

The Beyond Burger is the world's first plant-based burger that looks, cooks, and satisfies like beef. It has all the juicy, meaty deliciousness of a traditional burger, but comes with the upsides of a plant-based meal. The Beyond Burger packs 20g of plant-based protein and has no GMOs, soy, or gluten

That's advertising. If you objectively look at the list of ingredients, none of them are fake.

If you look at beef frozen burgers or chicken nuggets sold in supermarket, many of them contain soy products, artificial colors and artificial flavors. I would say that's fake meat as those products are covering up the taste and color of meat that goes into them.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's advertising. If you objectively look at the list of ingredients, none of them are fake.

If you look at beef frozen burgers or chicken nuggets sold in supermarket, many of them contain soy products, artificial colors and artificial flavors. I would say that's fake meat as those products are covering up the taste and color of meat that goes into them.
LOL pea protein pretending to be beef is fake "meat" IMO. Not sure why you're trying to argue with the actual creators of the product, it was created literally as imitation beef.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results