shape
carat
color
clarity

H to J....will I be OK?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
As many of you well know I chipped my e-ring stone and am working with the insurace company to get the money to get a new one. (I should have more answers tomorrow). So I have started to look around ut have some questions.

Well I do want to upgrade in size. I had a 1.3 H VS1 before and now I am thinking of a J stone so I can go up to around 1.75ish...but I am a bit nervous about a J. I could not see color in my H.

Just a few questions:
My H was graded by GIA and the J stone that I am looking at is AGS, how much of a difference in their grading systems?

The J has strong blue fluro. I have not seen a stone with strong blue, I know it may help the stone appear more white face up but does it help overall as well? Pros and Cons? John from WF is going to look at the stone for me and give me his opinion as well.

Anyone go from a H-J..are you happy with your choice or do you regret it?

I do really think I will like this stone, it''s an AGS000,and scored 1.5 xxvv, how much difference is there between x and vg in scintillation?

Thanks for the help, I''ll post pics when I get them.

KT

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget a larger stone shows more color than a smaller one, even if they are of the same color grade, because you are looking through more material.

I think AGS and GIA are very close in color grading.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i just sold my j colored stone (trade in) and it was defiitely "ecru".

I miss it - loved it though - it looked like an antique wedding dress or the color of linen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color in a J is noticeable to me. I could possibly go to an I with florescence, but I wouldn''t personally go to a J. You may just need to send for the stone to decide, though.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I think lower colors can be beautiful if the cut/setting/shape, etc are right. One thing to mention is that as you go down the color scale, the range of each color widens, so whereas a D has a very small defined range, the range for a J encompasses a lot more of warmth to yellowish. It helps to have someone eyeball it - preferably you, as this is something that is very personal. Some can be very pleasing. I had a J for a while - it was a lovely warm stone which faced up white except in some lightings were just a hint of warmth was present - just paid too darn much for it (appraised lower color/clarity than sold as) so returned it.

I know a woman who has an obviously yellow stone, who has it set in an interesting setting which looks antique-ish (the stone is completely sitting in the setting, all you can see is from the girdle edge up) - I don''t know what color hers is, but it looks just right in her setting.

I think given the wide range that a J can be, you really need to eyeball each stone yourself to see if you like it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 5:35:18 PM
Author:KtIceRN
As many of you well know I chipped my e-ring stone and am working with the insurace company to get the money to get a new one. (I should have more answers tomorrow). So I have started to look around ut have some questions.

Well I do want to upgrade in size. I had a 1.3 H VS1 before and now I am thinking of a J stone so I can go up to around 1.75ish...but I am a bit nervous about a J. I could not see color in my H.

Just a few questions:
My H was graded by GIA and the J stone that I am looking at is AGS, how much of a difference in their grading systems?

The J has strong blue fluro. I have not seen a stone with strong blue, I know it may help the stone appear more white face up but does it help overall as well? Pros and Cons? John from WF is going to look at the stone for me and give me his opinion as well.

Anyone go from a H-J..are you happy with your choice or do you regret it?

I do really think I will like this stone, it''s an AGS000,and scored 1.5 xxvv, how much difference is there between x and vg in scintillation?

Thanks for the help, I''ll post pics when I get them.

KT
How much difference in GIA/AGS color grading? They are fairly comparable...not a significant difference.

Mara went from a 1.29 H to a 1.60 J to a 2.32 J. The 2.32 J stone has faint fluor. I think she''d tell you she''s pretty happy with the choice.....and I''ve seen both of her J stones in person (next to my own 1.24 H). All of them have been beautiful. They don''t look "yellow"; it''s more just a tinge of warmth viewed from the side. Not noticeable at all face-up.

The strong blue is likely to really help keep it white looking, and if John from WF is looking at it for you, you''re in safe hands. He''s a straight shooter and tends toward the conservative side (which benefits you).

Whether or not you personally tolerate that grade well is really personal....you''ll need to see it to know. Worst case scenario, you can always return it if you aren''t completely delighted with it.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I went from an F to a J!!!!

I doubled my size, went from .75 to 1.52..

I am very happy with it and can only see a hint of color from the side in bright sunlight and if my diamond has been freshly cleaned...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Tough call...that only you can make....the j with strong blue would seem promising ... but at the same time too warm *for me*...I don't want to go below G but I lose size. It's a trade off...I say see it yourself...is that possible? Although I may condradict myself here- i have a 1.16 H med blue bezel pendant and she looks super utterly white to me....

What is the clarity? Do you think you'd be comfortable going lower in clarity and going to an I? You round girls are so spoiled! There are SO many of them...DON"T RUSH IT!!!
36.gif

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the comments.
I would be OK with an I but....I really want to have the size and even a 1.75 I SI1 ags ooo would be out of my price range right now. I will eventually upgrade and maybe then I would enough cash to get what I really want which is a little over 2.25 I SI1 but right now the J''s are with in budget. As far as the VS2 I am not a stickler about it but no sense in passing up a good stone just because it is not an SI.
I will be seeing my first well cut J tomorrow. Although it is not ideal it is a GIA xx, yet only 0.73 so the size is much smaller.
I will also be changing to a 6 prong head and I want to have the diamond set as low as possible so I do not see a ton of profile.
I am hoping the strong blue will aid the stone in everyway it possibly can.
I should be able to talk to John tomorrow and get his opinion of the stone. I will be shure to ask him about what level of a J it is high true or low.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I went from a 1.53 G to my current 2.36 J. (Both AGS-0 stones.) I have never been sorry and I have never looked back!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
It is really a personal preference, but I must say MANY gals here on PS have BEAUTIFUL "J" color large diamonds (i.e. Mara, etc)...

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
You know, there''s a really big part of me that says once you see the difference in size, you will not care about a smidgen of warmth from the side.
2.gif

shay

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you end up seeing your first J? What did you think of it?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 8:46:59 PM
Author: Shay37
You know, there's a really big part of me that says once you see the difference in size, you will not care about a smidgen of warmth from the side.
2.gif

shay

Well said! When GOG sent me a pic of my old stone (G) next to a possible upgrade(i), all I could think was "Holy cr*p this rock is huge!"

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!!

35.gif

LynnB - That’s very encouraging to hear!!

Shay37 - Your right....I think

28.gif
...Yes, I will have the largest and best cut stone out of all of my friends. They know my obsession about looking at diamonds so they can’t wait to see!!

Kcoursolle - I did see my friends moms J and I could see the warmth from the pavilion but not from the table. We showed it off at work and no one commented on the warmth or yellow of the stone just how beautiful is sparkled.

Jadeleaves - I am sure the 1.75 (7.8mm) will look much larger than my 1.3 (7.1mm) I can’t wait to see!

So let me ask what you all think of this stone. I do not have any pics yet. I am hoping that WF will be able to get me some this week now that the Christmas rush is all over.

AGS 000
J
VS2
Round ideal cut
Depth 61.4
Table 54.7
CA 34.4
Crown % 15.5
Star 51
PA 40.9
Pavilion % 43.1
Lower girdle % 76.7
Girdle thin faceted
7.79-7.81 x 4.79
Light Performance: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
HCA 1.5 XXVV

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results