shape
carat
color
clarity

H Color vs G color

Amy Ng

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I prefer the size over the sparkle. However, I still want to have a fiery and brilliant diamond.

Can you please give your thought on these three ? Which one should I choose ?

H color vs colorless Would it be obvious under naked eyes ?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-8052799
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-9307819
jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.23-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-8824984

Thank you 8052799.jpeg 8824984.jpeg 9307819.jpeg

Attachments

• 8052799_HCA Tool.pdf
    259.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 8824984_HCA.pdf
    283.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 9307819_HCA Tool.pdf
    283.1 KB · Views: 9

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TBH, I have trouble telling the difference between a G and an H in MRBs. Not every G and every H, but some. I would need another color grade difference to be more obvious to me. But everyone’s eyes are different. And although videos are great I don’t trust what my eyes see with regard to color. I would want to see them IRL to be sure.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If cut quality were comparable, I would take a 2.7 H over a 2.2 G any day. However, the 2.71 H VS1 is not a well cut stone, with a pav angle of 41.4. The 2.23 G VVS2 has much better proportions than the H. The 2.7 G VVS1 is to deep, with a depth of 62.7%.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
it depends on what you prioritize first of the 4 c's in diamonds.

in this case, is it color or is it size?? only you know best which factor is more important to you.

Personally I can’t see the difference between G and H 80% of the time and it doesn’t bother me 100% of the time, but colour is personal. I like the size of the first (2.71 H) and I checked it out using the cut estimator on diamondscreener - it seems to lie on the boundary of AGS0 and well within GIAEx, so I would run the HCA on that stone to see if it has decent light return. Search for the GIA number on the PS search engine to see if it’s on the PS database and you can see the HCA score for free. Or if it isn’t, run the HCA on it and post the score here.
As for the other two: again using diamondscreener the G VVS2 seems to be well cut. I would skip the G VVS1 - it sits outside AGS0 and only on the boundary of GIAEx. I would get the HCA for the G VVS2 as well if possible.

Amy Ng

Rough_Rock
Personally I can’t see the difference between G and H 80% of the time and it doesn’t bother me 100% of the time, but colour is personal. I like the size of the first (2.71 H) and I checked it out using the cut estimator on diamondscreener - it seems to lie on the boundary of AGS0 and well within GIAEx, so I would run the HCA on that stone to see if it has decent light return. Search for the GIA number on the PS search engine to see if it’s on the PS database and you can see the HCA score for free. Or if it isn’t, run the HCA on it and post the score here.
As for the other two: again using diamondscreener the G VVS2 seems to be well cut. I would skip the G VVS1 - it sits outside AGS0 and only on the boundary of GIAEx. I would get the HCA for the G VVS2 as well if possible.
Hi,
HCA for these stone as per attachments. Thanks

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell the difference between a G and a H, however, I can tell the difference between an E and G/H when they are placed side by side!

DK :))

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on individual so suggest that you see some diamonds irl to figure out if the tint will bother you.

To me the tint is obvious, and bothers me but maybe you will be fine with it?

Thats right.

@Amy Ng
There ARE some of us that can absolutely detect tint in diamonds. And there are some that can't.

Never ever let someone impose their opinion of diamond color upon you. Only you know if you can detect tint or not. Thereafter, comes the decision if you can live with it, tolerate it, or even embrace it and go for the largest size you can afford.

Hi,
HCA for these stone as per attachments. Thanks

Sorry, as a rule I don’t download attachments off the internet so I didn’t even notice those. Could you post a screenshot as an image? If the first one has an HCA <2 (or even 2.5) I’d definitely consider it since you said you prefer size! I don’t know if JA actually can provide you images or vids comparing the two diamonds to each other, that would be one way of seeing whether you actually can see a visible colour difference since ordering both stones is not feasible. Or have you seen other G and H stones before, preferably next to each other to see if you’re generally colour sensitive? Worst comes to worst, if the first one does have good HCA score and you’re able to obtain IS images from JA (to double check for leakage), I’d order that one loose and return it if it’s too tinted to my eye. Also - place a hold on the stones if you haven’t already if you can (HVS1 and GVVS2), to make sure someone doesn’t swipe it from under you!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Based off portions and HCA, I’d go with the 2.23 G. If you could find a better cut H, and aren’t color sensitive, it could also be a good choice but I wouldn’t purchase the one you’ve posted.
The 2.23 G is well cut, and the whitest looking of the three if that’s a concern for you. You maybe paying a premium for the true hearts branding, so it’s still worth doing some comparison shopping to ensure you’re getting a good value.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely buy a bigger H over a smaller G unless you are SUPER color sensitive. I have a .71 D colored diamond and a 2.53 I colored diamond and I can not tell the difference. I would even look at I’s and J’s if size is most important and you aren’t color sensitive! Here are a couple of pictures of mine. Obviously it’s hard to compare the upside down view with my D diamond set in the bezel but when I turned my loose I upside down I still didn’t notice a tint personally. I also don’t really see a difference when looking at them both sideways next to each other. Obviously everyone sees things differently though and maybe in certain lighting I would be able to see a difference.

29DFA48A-66E1-4159-B64B-C4EE72D767BD.jpeg
6A6556DF-8D78-409E-A9AD-367E14C83A25.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
For most bang for the buck, I'd pick top level cut but lower on color and clarity, like H or I and VS2 or sometimes SI-1.

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
I personally cannot discern the difference between G and H colored stones unless they are extremely large (3+ carats) and viewed from an angle or side profile. I agree with previous posters on this thread in that you should select the diamond with the best cut and proportions - the brilliance will compensate for any subtle warmth in the stone if you do select an H. If you suspect you are color sensitive, it may be best to view the stones in person.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Amy Ng

http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk

Maybe you can try taking the test and see how you score... if you get a fairly high score then you are more likely to be bothered by the tint in H. Nothing replaces looking at the diamonds in real life to check of course.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Amy Ng

http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk

Maybe you can try taking the test and see how you score... if you get a fairly high score then you are more likely to be bothered by the tint in H. Nothing replaces looking at the diamonds in real life to check of course.

Thanks so much for sharing the hue test. We, my husband and i had fun with it! According to the test we are both extremely color hue sensitive. Hubby scored a perfect 0. I scored a 2.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My rule for not seeing color is +G over 2ct. Do you need VVS for a reason - like e.g. your from or marrying into an Asian family?
Otherwise drop to VS and go up in color.

Agree. Clarity is harder to tell and VS should be eye clean. If u get a G/VS2 then the size shouldn’t be so different from the H.

Color can be fairly easy to tell if you are sensitive and mind the tint. If you are sensitive and don’t mind the tint that’s fine too.

Also what do others around you have? I’m in Asia and everyone I know have colorless diamonds so any tint is pretty obvious when there are numerous colorless comparisons around. (Plus nearly everyone I know is color sensitive)

E.g, I’m mostly ok with G 90% of the time but my even more color sensitive friend can tell the difference... that friend got an E for the engagement ring and that was only due to budget constraints. Can tell D and E apart so that’s color sensitive for you. I can’t tell D and E apart so I was totally raising my eyebrows when I heard that... but hey, I guess the same for people who are fine with even lower colors.

And btw I’m talking about looking face up not sidesways - I tried sorting diamonds just by looking face up under neutral lighting and the G/H difference was obvious to me. Easiest is if you can see some in real life and figure out what your tolerance is.

Would suggest going with a vendor with good upgrade policies anyway, much easier in case you want to upgrade in size/color later.

Good luck with your search @Amy Ng

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rule for not seeing color is +G over 2ct. Do you need VVS for a reason - like e.g. your from or marrying into an Asian family?
Chinese last name. ;)) Both are H color.

Attachments

• IMG_3998.jpg
    IMG_3998.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

CISSII

Rough_Rock

what's the significance of getting a VVS if you're from or marrying into an asian family?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
what's the significance of getting a VVS if you're from or marrying into an asian family?

Sorry Amy Ng - I did not note that your name is I think Vietnamese.
CISSII - Many different ethnicity's have social or religious preferences for diamond attributes. for Example Indians call clarity 'purity' and lower color top clarity is prized.
There is another historic factor that in politically unstable nations D-E Flawless to VVS1 diamonds have been preferred because they are fungible.

Amy Ng

Rough_Rock
Sorry Amy Ng - I did not note that your name is I think Vietnamese.
CISSII - Many different ethnicity's have social or religious preferences for diamond attributes. for Example Indians call clarity 'purity' and lower color top clarity is prized.
There is another historic factor that in politically unstable nations D-E Flawless to VVS1 diamonds have been preferred because they are fungible.

Good guest Garry. In deed, I am Vietnamese. Ng = Nguyen. I believe "Ng" is also Cantonese surname.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Same stone - an H color. I see no tint nor would I pay for a higher color. I would rather spend the money on the size. IMG_0494.jpg IMG_0575.JPG

Amy Ng

Rough_Rock
Same stone - an H color. I see no tint nor would I pay for a higher color. I would rather spend the money on the size
I Really LOVE YOUR RING, DAISY

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I on top H on bottom

IMG_0278.jpg

G med blue fluor on the right H on the left.

IMG_2737.jpg

Here's the G indoor.

IMG_0187.JPG

Amy Ng

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for showing these photo "Dancing Fire"

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Here are side by side images of diamonds that may help you understand the gradation.

All of these diamonds are super ideals from the same vendor/cutter.

They are:
1 ct D -- 1.25 ct K -- 1.5 ct I -- 2.5 ct D:

IMG_5410.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results