shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A''s?? piccies...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new ering! Pictures from the vender who says there are distinct H&A patterns when viewed under the scope. I don''t see them in these pics...do you think it''s just tilted? Does my stone have any potential to exhibit H&A? I like H&A''s!! :) It''s a GIA, 2.2 ct, VS2 ex/ex/ex cut/symm/pol. What do you think of the stone?

elvis1.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Have you asked for pics of the stone under the H & A viewer and IS? You will be able to clearly see the H & A pattern of your diamond. The arrows can only be seen in the stone, itself, under certain lighting conditions. I have an ACA H & A and can frequently see some silvery arrows--if I turn the ring "just right"--and see dark arrows with enough light obstruction. The way you're holding your stone won't make the arrows "pop" out. If you look at my ring in Show Me The Ring page 2, I've captured some arrows. Ellen's avatar shows the silvery arrows
1.gif

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 9:45:35 AM
Author: risingsun
Have you asked for pics of the stone under the H & A viewer and IS? You will be able to clearly see the H & A pattern of your diamond. The arrows can only be seen in the stone, itself, under certain lighting conditions. I have an ACA H & A and can frequently see some silvery arrows--if I turn the ring ''just right''--and see dark arrows with enough light obstruction. The way you''re holding your stone won''t make the arrows ''pop'' out. If you look at my ring in Show Me The Ring page 2, I''ve captured some arrows. Ellen''s avatar shows the silvery arrows
1.gif
Hi Rising sun,
Thanks for the reply. No. You see, the vendor said he didn''t have a camera attached to the viewers but he said there are disctinct H&A patterns when he looks through them. Hmm... the website doesn''t give as much detail as sites such as JA and GOG. I''ve been looking at all the beautiful H&A pictures..Ellen''s included and wondering why the pics of mine don''t look like that. These are the pictures that I had the vendor take for me. I don''t have the ring in my possession yet.
So it''s hard to capture the H&A pattern unless you tilt it the right way, and under certain lighting?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
We work hard to capture those pics
2.gif
If you look at rings that people have posted from Whiteflash, they take the photos so you can see the arrows. Under normal lighting conditions, however, you will not see them and, of course, the hearts are never visible after the stone is set. Do you have a H & A viewer or an IS? Lots of fun to play with the diamond before it is set
10.gif
So, to answer your question, yes...you do have to tilt your diamond, in the right lighting conditons, to see those arrows.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharry,

There is no official definition of how tight the patterns should be in order to be called "H&A." The dealer is defining them as such so by his standards they are. You would need to have H&A photos to know if they qualify by other peoples' standards, if that is something which matters to you (it may not).

Some thoughts:

1. Readers should know that just because a diamond shows a H&A pattern (no matter how precise) does not mean it has premium light return. Light return is far more important. No worries here; this diamond has top proportions and we can anticipate it will be a top performer, but an ideal-scope or ASET image is helpful in terms of performance, where H&A photos only show optical symmetry/craftsmanship.

2. In diamonds with top light return the benefits of precise optical symmetry are contrast and consistency in performance. Diamonds with a 'near' H&A level of optical symmetry often mimic effects seen in precisely cut H&A diamonds. On the other hand, some people prefer the random look of asymmetry over so-called H&A diamonds (optical symmetry is not a requirement for diamond beauty).

3. With regard to value; a 'near-H&A' level of optical symmetry might be a by-product of cutting to top proportions; what some call a happy accident. Diamonds displaying the highest levels of optical symmetry; those crafted to the top levels of cut precision on-purpose, are valued by enthusiasts for their ultimate craftsmanship, as much as any effects on performance.

Here is a thread with more on this topic; graphics and examples.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results