shape
carat
color
clarity

Gypsy set ring - any info?

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this ring. It's been in my family for at least 50 years and I've worn it almost daily for 10 years. It originates from my grandparents, jewelers who did business in Europe and Asia many decades ago.

I believe it's called a gypsy setting, but this one in particular has been carved out to look like a star. However, there are 4 prongs holding the diamond in place. The thin black line on the outside of the band and dark smudge on the inside have not changed in the 10 years I've had this ring. Does anyone know what they could be? I believe the ring is gold but I've never had it tested. It's quite heavy for its size. The small 10 point diamond (it's about 3mm across) doesn't have any flowery facets, but I am not sure if I am looking at a poorly cut modern round or a poorly cut transitional round or something else. There is a stamp on the inside of the ring, but I can't make out what it is at all.

Just curious about its history (if it has any). I'd love a story to tell when I pass it down years from now.

IMG_5145.jpeg

IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

Screenshot 2019-12-20 at 10.26.39.png

*Edited post for grammar and to denote more details after re-examining ring under a 40x loupe.

Attachments

• IMG_5147.jpeg
    IMG_5147.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so my great grandmothers engagement ring is EXACTLY the same as this, only there are 3 diamonds set in stars - a larger one in the middle & two smaller ones either side. Identical. It's heavy 18ct yellow gold.

My grandmother was born in 1916, so we are going to the early 1900's for her parents marriage as I know they tried for many years to become pregnant, but I'm not sure exactly - I will have to ask my mother.

We are English & they were married in Cheshire, which is in the North West of the country.

But apart from that, I am no help! I will endeavour to get a picture for you, but the ring is locked away with other jewellery my mother doesn't wear & is earmarked for my youngest sister. Plus I am also currently staying with the Outlaws for a week over Christmas, but shall try to remember when I return home.

Also, the mark on the back of the band is from significant resizing that has happened at some stage.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, the black line is from resizing at some point in time. Perhaps a silver alloy was used, gold doesn’t normally turn black but silver will. A jeweller would be able to polish out the “line” but I wouldn’t, it’s part of the rings history.
it looks like a hallmark but I can’t quite make it out from the photo. The style is late Victorian, late 1890s early 1900s. If the diamond isn’t cut per the era, it may be a replacement. Sometimes gems fall out and get replaced. Sometimes gems are removed and replaced with something else. My great grandmothers ring originally had natural rubies but at some time in the past, unbeknownst to other family members, they replaced with red glass.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Thanks very much for for the information @Alex T and @Bron357!

My father tells me that he recalls receiving this ring in the 60s but does not recall having it resized. He swears he thought it was a replica that his parents (my jeweler grandparents) had made for him. Does anyone know if it's possible to date the gold to determine when this ring was made?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results