shape
carat
color
clarity

Gurhan Bangle Bracelet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2006 10:10:12 PM
Author: AGBF

I wanted to share this photo which I received from Bill Pearlman. The Gurhan plain (i.e. without diamonds) bangles are available in 7.5 mm; 9 mm; 10 mm; and 13.5 mm. (They may also be available in narrower widths, but I wasn''t interested in those!)

I still have to decide which to save for, these bangles or a tennis bracelet, but someday I would like to have (I think) two of the 9mm bracelets and one of the 13.5 mm bracelets! I think it should be three or five bangles, don''t you? ;-)

Deb...just dreaming!

I posted the above in another (very long) thread where it quickly got buried. I am starting a new thread because I received the Gurhan 13.5 mm wide bangle and must return it! I am very disappointed!

The bangle is beautiful, but is far bigger than I expected. Not only is the gold wider than I had expected, but the diameter of the interior is so big that I cannot keep the bangle on my hand!

I have tried on Yossi Harari bangle bracelets and found them to be small, perhaps even uncomfortably small. I had to squeeze my hand into one. (And, believe me, the price of one of those bracelets is not small!)

Gurhan, on the other hand, provides a bounty of gold, a substantial piece of jewelry...and I cannot keep it on!!!

34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the photo from the other thread.

GurhanBangles.jpeg

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Well, that is too bad!!!
Are your wrists on the small side, or is the bangle just overly large? Would a narrower bangle still have the same inside diameter?
I would also choose multiple bangles over a tennis bracelet so I hope you are able to find something (or things) that work.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a bummer. I saw them for the first time at Saks on Monday. They are huge. But were very pretty. Hope you can find something that fits nicely.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not have one made? It looks like an iron age jeweler could have done it for you.
5.gif

Aside the gold, it should be a couple hundred (got a quote of $300 myself for 50mm hammered bangle, don't find the weight too comfortable though). ... unless these have some fancy structure inside (some Gurhan rings have a platinum core, is this the case?.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2006 10:27:57 AM
Author: valeria101
Why not have one made?
Aside the gold, it should be a couple hundred...got a quote of $300 myself for 50mm hammered bangle....

I am asking Grunberger Jewlers in Stamford for a price quote, but I fear it will be very high. Maybe you can have some bracelets made up for me in Europe! I will also look at the Gurhan prices and widths again.

The bracelet I received was SHODDY!!! A large piece of gold had been sloppily added to what was probably once a standard size Gurhan bracelet. One could see the lines where it was added on the inside of the bangle and could even feel it with one's fingertips!

In addition, the bangle was supposed to be 13.5 mm wide, but was 14.0 mm in some places, 14.2 mm in some places and 14.5 mm in other places. (It was 13.5 mm NOWHERE!!)

As I told Bill Pearlman (who has sold me Gurhan jewelry with which I was happy in the past), he will have to look over pieces by Gurhan carefully before sending them out in the future. I do not know if anyone at Pearlman's examined this before sending it to me. It is really an appalling bracelet that looks like a car tire on my arm. I have a small wrist, although not bizarrely small. Why Gurhan would think that just anyone could wear a bracelet that had been enlarged for someone else or some other purpose beats me. They have had a great name. They will lose if if they send pieces like this to retailers like Bill.

I have to say now: be careful when you buy Gurhan!

34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
too bad, deb! i love the look of his bangles. i agree that getting one made just for you is the answer.

movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2006 12:48:27 PM

Why not have one made?
Aside the gold, it should be a couple hundred...got a quote of $300 myself for 50mm hammered bangle....

I am asking Grunberger Jewlers in Stamford for a price quote, but I fear it will be very high. Maybe you can have some bracelets made up for me in Europe!

Sure, why not.
5.gif
''Bet it would be fun.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 12:48:27 PM

Why not have one made?

I am asking Grunberger Jewlers in Stamford for a price quote, but I fear it will be very high. Maybe you can have some bracelets made up for me in Europe! I will also look at the Gurhan prices and widths again.

The bracelet I received was SHODDY!!! A large piece of gold had been sloppily added to what was probably once a standard size Gurhan bracelet. One could see the lines where it was added on the inside of the bangle and could even feel it with one''s fingertips!

In addition, the bangle was supposed to be 13.5 mm wide, but was 14.0 mm in some places, 14.2 mm in some places and 14.5 mm in other places. (It was 13.5 mm NOWHERE!!)

As I told Bill Pearlman (who has sold me Gurhan jewelry with which I was happy in the past), he will have to look over pieces by Gurhan carefully before sending them out in the future. I do not know if anyone at Pearlman''s examined this before sending it to me. It is really an appalling bracelet that looks like a car tire on my arm. I have a small wrist, although not bizarrely small. Why Gurhan would think that just anyone could wear a bracelet that had been enlarged for someone else or some other purpose beats me. They have had a great name. They will lose if if they send pieces like this to retailers like Bill.

I have to say now: be careful when you buy Gurhan!

34.gif
I am sorry that your bracelet was such a poorly assembled piece. I hope you find something lovely and exactly to your liking soon!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How unfortunate
8.gif
--not as much quality control as one might have thought/hoped for.....

cheers--Sharon

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
So sorry Deb..I know how disappointed you must be. What did Bill say? Will you be able to return it easily for a refund?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2006 10:14:28 PM
Author: mrssalvo
So sorry Deb..I know how disappointed you must be. What did Bill say? Will you be able to return it easily for a refund?

Bill is a peach. No problems there. The only problem is whether I want to try Gurhan again or go for custom-made bangles.

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a photo of the bangle on my wrist. As you can see, it is a little too big!

34.gif

GurhanALittleTooBig.jpg

momothree

Shiny_Rock
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Wow Deb that bracelet is huge! I am sorry this didn''t work out for you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 11:59:02 AM

This is a photo of the bangle on my wrist. As you can see, it is a little too big!

It looks as if it would weight a couple of pounds!
23.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.gif
....tooo big....I''ll say.......hope something smaller comes your way.....

cheers--Sharon

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
too big?? no kidding, are you sure it wasn''t mistaken for a dog collar? Goodness Deb, if I''d have opened something like that I almost would have thought it was a joke. I''m so glad Bill is handling everything for you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 3:31:19 PM
too big?? no kidding, are you sure it wasn''t mistaken for a dog collar? Goodness Deb, if I''d have opened something like that I almost would have thought it was a joke. I''m so glad Bill is handling everything for you.

Me, too. :)
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turning to high carat gold bangles... some look on the ''rough'' side without actually resembling the bearing of a cart wheel!

Perhaps the nicest example I know of are the ''coil'' bangles from Niessing. Their ''Tarent'' bangles are not heavy at all - the shapes (and probably some sophisticated metallurgy I have no clue about ) keeps the thin gold wire frame rigid - so they say, and it is fairly easy to check if you''ve got an engineer at hand
2.gif

tarent_p_c4_a1_of.jpg

And look what the cat brought in (Google, sorry). The engraved rings with colored cabs is what caught my attention, but there is an interesting ''coil'' bracelet on the list too.

Bracelat_Nao_goldwork.jpg

Niessing'' add is right to say that such coil jewelry has a long history behind it, but... those would have been more solid (and less technically sophisticated) than their postmodern constructions. Nao''s model looks more historically correct, so to speak. Niessing''s are just incredible, ''counterintuitive'', light, springy, hard gold.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
geez, those coil bangles are lovely! and i''m sure a much more reasonable size for most of us!

movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 7:04:21 PM
Author: movie zombie

geez, those coil bangles are lovely! and i'm sure a much more reasonable size for most of us!

Niessing were large - there are two sizes made, but for me thery were 'large' and 'huge' respectively. Custom is feasible... but...

The others appear to be custom work (do not know anything aside what the website says), so there should be hope for no 'price discrimination' for a fitted bracelet.
10.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 3:31:19 PM
No kidding! I think that bracelet would fit Ava....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to start a new thread about gold bangle bracelets. Once I do, I will link this thread to it. The truth is that I learned a lot about which consumers should be informed while searching for bracelets I wanted!

As you can see, I started with Gurhan because I love Gurhan 24K gold jewelry, especially the hammered look. In the end I had these five bracelets made up by my local bricks and mortar jeweler, however. They are 24K gold and solid. Gurhan bracelets, while the gold is 24K, may be filled with other material. Like porcelain. My notes are not available to me now, but I think consumers need to be aware that a 24K gold Gurhan bracelet may be filled with something other than gold! One doesn''t see that information in any of the Gurhan ads!

FiveGrunbergerBanglesA.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS-I did not take the above photo. When I have access to my computer I will take some of my own photos and post them. Probably in the new thread I am starting. In this photo the bangles look frail and thin. They also look lighter (in color) than they are. In reality, they are sturdy and a deep, golden yellow! This photo makes the bangles look more like Ippolita bangles (minus the knobs). They really look much more like Gurhan bangles.

34.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gorgeous bangles!!! Wow!

BTW, while working at the bench many years ago for my Dad, when repairing some hollow gold pieces, the application of heat while soldering caused a substance to ooze out of the seams (of the piece), and I believe it was resin.

cheers--Sharon

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Deb, send the originals of new photos you are going to make right from the camera to me, i will re-size and optimize them to color...well it''s easier to do than explain
9.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great bangles.

and thanks for starting a ''get educated'' re gold bangles before buying thread. there is so much to be learned.

movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2006 11:00:09 AM
Author: Pricescope
Deb, send the originals of new photos you are going to make right from the camera to me, i will re-size and optimize them to color...well it's easier to do than explain
9.gif

Thank you, Pricescope! I will absolutely take you up on that if I am ever in need. I will be home in just a few days, however, and there I can play with my photos on my own computer. Who would ever have thought that a newish computer with a high speed connection would not be good enough because it didn't have the exact software you wanted? I remember the days of having to put your telephone up to your computer for any access (and, naturally, that was access to a limited network that showed up on a screen in black and white writing!)

34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked Andrey to re-open this thread, which he very kindly did, so that I could post a link to another thread here. This link is to a thread which shows additional 24K bangle bracelets which I have had made. I wanted the threads linked so that any other lovers of high karat gold who came along could see all of these bracelets and also the high karat jewelry belonging to other people posted in the other thread as well.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-hammered-24k-yellow-gold-bangles.70078/

And, of course, everyone should be aware of the ultimate gold lovers' thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/

Deborah
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results