shape
carat
color
clarity

Guestimate on Ring Size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Now that I have my asscher, I''m in the process of getting the engagement ring done. The time is coming for the actual making of the ring and I need a ring size.

I''m trying to keep this a surprise to everyone (except her parents when I ask them, which I haven''t done yet, so I can''t talk to her mom about ring sizes) so I can''t ask others for help. She has a ring she wears on her middle finger on her left hand (she''s left handed) that is a 6.5 (she left it at my house and I was able to run it to a jeweler real quick and get a size).

Based on this information what would be your best guesses as to her ring size on her ring finger? Messing around with her when I gave the ring back, I slid this 6.5 ring on her ring finger and it was very loose (could spin in circles) so I was thinking possibly a whole size down = 5.5? Please help me.

Also, is it better to error on the side of too big or too small? My guess was it would be harder to make the ring larger than it would be to make it smaller. Thanks for your input.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
How easily do you think she might be tipped off that you''re ring shopping? You could try and find one of those cheapo resizeable rings like what you get out of a candy machine. Tell her you stopped to get some gum and noticed it on the floor below the machines. Joke around with that, get her to put it on her finger and sqeeze it to the right size, and then sneak it off to the jeweler.

As to a wild guess, I''m really not sure what the average difference in ring size is between fingers. I wear a 5.5 on my ring finger, but I don''t know my middle finger size so I guess that doesn''t help much...

E B

Ideal_Rock
My middle finger is a full size larger than my ring finger, so I'd think 5.5 would be a good guess. Maybe a 6, just in case? Or a 5.75.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
My middle finger is a 6, my ring finger is a 4.75, so a full size is probably a very safe bet.

This is also not a very scientific method, but if you take her shoe size, and subtract 2, that is another way to get it pretty close to her ring size, but this only works about 50-60% of the time that I''ve noticed it.

Good luck!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let''s see....my middle finger is about a 6.5 and my ring finger is about a 5.75, but my ering is a 6 and is just a tad loose. Is it a solitaire setting? If so, I would get a 6 just to be sure it will fit then get it sized down. If it has intricate pave work or anything like that I would probably do my best to get a better measurement.

Is there a best friend you can enlist to help? She could drag your GF into a jewelry store next time they''re out shopping and try on rings for fun. The rings in the cases are almost always 6''s so she could then try and see if it fits well or is too big.

Best of luck!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:01:36 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
This is also not a very scientific method, but if you take her shoe size, and subtract 2, that is another way to get it pretty close to her ring size, but this only works about 50-60% of the time that I''ve noticed it.

Good luck!

WOW !!!! That actually works for me . . . I wonder if that actually holds true for other people.

Any chance you can measure the diameter of her finger at its widest while she is sleeping? Using a string, you might then be able to use a ring sizing chart after that? Otherwise, I would err on the side of bigger because then you can put in sizing beads or have it reduced in size. Good Luck

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:07:34 PM
Author: hikerchick

Good luck!

WOW !!!! That actually works for me . . . I wonder if that actually holds true for other people.

Wayyyyy off for me! According to that my ering finger should be a 7!

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the many ideas. I don''t think the candy machine would work as I think that might make her suspicious and we don''t live together so the string around the finger is a no go too. The ring is a fairly intricate ring with pave and filigree so it sounds like I want to be pretty close here. If the rings in most stores are 6s I know those were a bit large on her when she put them on, so I''m thinking a 5.75 (is that possible?) or a 5.5. Please keep your opinions coming though. Thanks everyone.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:31:08 PM
Author: antiqueasscher
Thanks for the many ideas. I don''t think the candy machine would work as I think that might make her suspicious and we don''t live together so the string around the finger is a no go too. The ring is a fairly intricate ring with pave and filigree so it sounds like I want to be pretty close here. If the rings in most stores are 6s I know those were a bit large on her when she put them on, so I''m thinking a 5.75 (is that possible?) or a 5.5. Please keep your opinions coming though. Thanks everyone.

If you know that those stores stock 6''s for their case (might not hurt to call and ask just to be sure) and they were a bit big, then 5.75 would probably be a good bet. Another thing (not to add to your stress) to consider is the width of the rings. If the rings she tried on were significantly fatter/skinnier they will fit differently. A wider ring will generally be tigher than a narrower ring.

Good luck!

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Is a ring like this considered to be wider? http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=303&action=show_detail

Thanks.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:31:08 PM
Author: antiqueasscher

Since you know 6 is too big, I''d guess she probably wears around a 5.5. My fingers are a size apart. Also, the fingers on the predominant hand are larger than the other. In warm weather and different times of the day, fingers tend to get bigger. Some women would rather have their rings on the loose side. 5.75 would probably work great. I think it would be better to have a ring too big than too small.....you''d hate to not be able to put it on her when you propose.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
No, that ring isn''t considered wide.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, that ring isn''t wide at all. I agree with the others that it''s better to err on the side of being too big. That way she can at least wear it around. If it''s too small she won''t even be able to put it on. I''d stick with 5.75 to be sure...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My middle finger is a 5.5 and my ring finger is a 4.5, so I''d go for the 5.5, but I wouldn''t buy a style with a full eternity or something that cannot be resized if you are a little off.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
IF you were going to guess, I'd just go one size smaller.

Otherwise, I'd wait to get ahold of her mother because she may know her size. If she doesn't, then maybe you could ask her mom to pull out some of her own rings and jewelry the next time her daughter comes over to visit. Like a "Have I ever showed you your aunt Betsy's sapphire ring??" blah blah blah...

My mom has a bunch of jewelry she pulled out the other day to have fun trying on and looking at. Have the mom save the one that fits on her ring finger and get back to you.

This idea could also work with a sister or best friend. Like if they're dressing up to go out, and her best friend pulls out a jewelry box and they go looking through it for fun.

Hope that helps.

Also, sizing larger or smaller doesn't really matter. If it needs to be bigger, they'll stretch it on a machine, if it needs to be smaller, they'll cut the shank at the bottom, and rejoin it with solder. You're going to be close with sizing the ring down one size. At least you'll know it will slip on her finger, and not get stuck at her knuckle. Other than that, sizing up or down from that point is very easy and do-able with the ring you chose.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good luck!

Any chance you can measure the diameter of her finger at its widest while she is sleeping? Using a string, you might then be able to use a ring sizing chart after that? Otherwise, I would err on the side of bigger because then you can put in sizing beads or have it reduced in size. Good Luck
I had never heard that before but it works!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:12:25 PM
Author: neatfreak

Good luck!

Wayyyyy off for me! According to that my ering finger should be a 7!
Doesn''t work for me - I''m a 6 - 6.5 shoe and same for rings depending on band width
1.gif

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
I wish I could do a poll here, but what would people say:
a) 5.5
b) 5.75

Because of time constraints and how busy both of us are right now there is no way to set up some elaborate plan with her mom or friend to find out sizes. We did some looking on our own and she then said she didn''t want to know anymore about it and didn''t want to look at rings anymore because she wanted a surprise so any visit to a store is out. So, I''m left making an educated guess based on her left middle finger being a 6.5.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My middle finger on my left hand is a 5 while my ring finger is a 4.5 so mine is only a 1/2 size difference. Can you size the ring at a later date?

SBee

Rough_Rock
The shoe size thing doesn''t work for me either....according to that I would have a 9 or 9.5 ring size! (*ahem it''s actually 6.25 - 6.5*)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you think when you look at her hand? Does her middle finger look noticeably bigger than her ring finger? I know mine does, and I have at least a whole size difference between my ring and middle fingers.

I vote for the 5.5, especially because I think there was mention that the size 6 sample rings at a store were too big for her. A size 5.75 is such a small difference from a 6, I think your best bet is the 5.5. So there''s my vote!

BTW, the shoe size thing doesn''t work at all with me, either-by that rule I''d have a size 8 finger and my finger is actually 5-5.25...so I wouldn''t go by that!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I vote 5.5 . . .

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 9:42:48 AM
Author: thing2of2
What do you think when you look at her hand? Does her middle finger look noticeably bigger than her ring finger? I know mine does, and I have at least a whole size difference between my ring and middle fingers.

I agree w/ thing2of2- check out her hands- I don''t have a full size difference between my middle and ring fingers, I am left-handed and my left hand is
smaller than my right hand and the shoe thing would be WAY off for me.

You are basically making a best guess here- if it''s 1/4 or 1/2 size too big you will have done a great job.

good luck!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the shoe size thing waaaay does not work for me. going by shoe size, my ring size should be a 7 and i actually wear a 4.5.
23.gif
big difference!

to your dilemma, i would say go bigger rather than smaller. you want her to be able to at least get the ring on. it would stink to have the ring and not even be able to wear it.

darling

Shiny_Rock
Another 5.5 vote

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i would wait til she says yes and then get it sized, with her present. especially if it is white gold, because they have to take all the rhodium off, size it and then put all the rhodium back on....why do it twice?

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for 5.5, although I like Ladykemma''s idea. My middle finger is at least one size bigger than my ring finger and maybe even a bit more than that.

There was a jeweler that posted once that he could guess a ring size pretty accurately by giving him the height and weight. Does anyone remember that post or who it was??

The shoe thing worked for me
9.gif

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Well I''m leaning heavily toward 5.5. I know that when I put the 6.5 on her ring finger there was a decent gap (I could see the space between the ring and her finger and spin the ring on her finger). Using a ring chart that Blue Nile has I compared a the size of the rings (lining up the holes) and there is very little difference from a 6.5 to a 6, so I don''t see that being enough of a change to be correct. Does this sound right to people?

I am very nervous about this as we will be away on vacation when I propose and then are flying back and attending my sister''s graduation the next day, so I know she is going to want to be wearing the ring around. I don''t like the idea of her wearing a ring that might be too large and possibly fall off.

It was also mentioned that if you have to get a White Gold ring re-sized they have to take the rhodium plating off and then replate it. Is this true? If so that is another negative, putting pressure on me as it''s another expense to deal with.

Ok, please keep the opinions coming.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely say 5.5 if there was a noticeable gap with the size 6.5 ring...I know I already voted, but I extra agree with myself now!

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Vote early and often, I don't care.
9.gif
As long as I'm getting opinions I'm happy.

As for waiting until she gets it to have it sized there are 2 problems with this:
1. I'm getting the ring through James Allen and if it's way off I'll have to send it back to them. As it is, I'm hoping I can get it close and if need be go to a local jeweler to have any minor change made
2. I mentioned I planned on doing this on vacation and then right after that we will be traveling to see my family. I know she's going to want to have the ring on and so I need to have the size pretty close.

I want to be prepared if the ring is still a bit too big (if it's too small I'm forcing that puppy on there after all this work
1.gif
). What would people recommend I have on hand to make the ring a bit tighter if need be? Is there such a thing as a temporary rubber/plastic insert? I'd like to have something a little nicer than a band-aid or tape.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results