shape
carat
color
clarity

Growing out a pixie cut

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
ack!

It's driving me crazy. I've had a pixie cut for 20 years. I initially just wanted a bit more length as my stylist had taken it very short. Once I got another inch I decided to keep going. Some changes have happened in 20 years though. My hair is salt and pepper (I don't colour it), and the hair is growing so s-l-o-w-l-y. Half as fast as 20 years ago :lol: and, it's frizzy. Not wavy enough or curly. Just frizzy. Sigh.

I was going for regular trims but have stopped for the past few months because my stylist kept cutting it off. I don't think she knows how to see me through this process very well. It's in a very awkward stage - the mullet. I won't trim up the back as I'm going to try a Shag style and need that length. So... the mullet. I'll go in for a wee shape in a few weeks. I'll go crazy if I don't. I'm too old for cutesy barrettes and bandanas etc.

Anyone else going thru this or remember how painful this process is LOL?

I'll give it a few more months, but if the hair isn't very nice - I'm back to the pixie. That I do well as it's fairly thick (although not like 20 years ago!) and the whites are very pretty.

Wish the white was curly - rainy days it has a slight wave. Just too dang slight to do anything with!

Share your stories?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my hair cut really short a couple of years ago, and I immediately regretted it. Now I'm older, it just didn't suit me.

The only thing I can say is just persevere. I hate the growing out phase, it drives me nuts, but it's worth it to get some length and grow out the layers, because then at least you have options. I'm fortunate that I have thick, fast growing hair. I've just had it cut from shoulder length to just below chin length graduated bob, which suits my face shape better.

There's no magic formula, but if your hairdresser isn't listening to what you want, then you need to find someone else.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you need a new hair dresser, someone that does not remember you in the pixie cut. Sometimes hair dressers get into a rut and keep doing the same style on you no matter what you ask for. Sounds like you could use some new products, too. Conditioner or styling gel so you can tame the frizz and make your hair into a style that looks like it's planned and not just something growing out. Good luck!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe some leave in conditioner might help? Hang in there, you will look like this in no time! ;-)
17.-Celebrity-Bob-Haircut.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia, I feel your pain. My hair grows so slowly now as well compared to years ago. In fact it is what is stopping me from seeing how I look with short hair because I don't think it will grow back. One suggestion that might help you-have you tried supplements like Biotin or Viviscal? I used to take Viviscal and I swear it helped my hair grow faster. However I had to stop most supplements in 2014 due to a new health issue. While I was taking it I did notice an improvement in my hair growth and in fact my dermatologist who recommended this specific supplement to me said he is impressed with the anecdotal evidence from his patients experience with this supplement.

I also recommend using silk pillowcases and minimizing any heat i.e. hair dryer usage. As well as using gentle hair care products.

What hair products do you use? I find they also make a difference. I like Ouidad products for my curly hair and I also use a shampoo and conditioner that is free of hopefully harmful ingredients. I use Giovanni tea tree oil shampoo and smoothing conditioner and I love the Ouidad humidity control gel. It helps my frizzy hair be more civilized. Though on days like today (hello 100% humidity and heat) there isn't much that helps but a ponytail.:lol:

Not the same thing of course but when I was growing out my bangs about 15 years ago the growing out period was challenging and barrettes and clips were the only way I could control it.

If worse comes to worse and you have to remain with the pixie at least you will always be polished and sophisticated. I wish I could look good in a pixie cut and lucky you re your natural thick and salt and pepper hair. Lucky woman!
Good luck on beautiful healthy luxurious new growth!:appl:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Growing out hair is a long process. I recommend taking the supplement Biotin. It helps with hair and nail growth (as well as other things). I started using it (for my damaged gel nails) and my hair has grown quickly and my nails are fabulous. I take 5000mcg daily. I second finding another stylist. Good luck!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've worn my hair short the majority of my adult life. It was always straight, fine, and very whispy/limp. When I have grown it out in the past, I always needed to curl it, perm it (eeks), or use a lot of product for any kind of style and hold.

Fast forward to when I was 40; a change happened to my hair and suddenly I had waves and even a few places with curls. And now it was fairly thick too. But I had NO idea how to deal with it. I was exactly where you are... growing it out and trying to manage the frizz.

The first thing I'd strongly recommend is that you find a new stylist, and specifically one that specializes in curly hair. It's a whole different beast than straight hair. Then, do a ton of reading on www.naturallycurly.com (they actually have a search section that can help you find a stylist in your area). They're kind of as cultish about taking care of curls as we are about getting great stones. You'll get a lot of education about how certain products/ingredients really affect curls and suggestions for how to learn your hair's tendencies and preferences. It can take a lot of trial and error involved so brace yourself for that. Also, as I said it's fairly cultish about NO parabins NO silicones NO sulfates, etc. but sometimes that doesn't work for people; I gave it a try and my hair hated it (got SUPER frizzy) so I've settled on MoroccanOil products. It's pretty clean but does have one or two ingredients that aren't generally recommended. Know too that your hair will change with the season; curly hair gets dryer, so you'll need to figure out conditioner needs.

Some people have a REALLY intense routine for how they take care of/style their hair (seriously... some people have about 12 steps they do Every Single Day). Don't let that phase you... there are ways to deal with your hair without a lot of fuss too. I have a fairly laid-back lifestyle most of the time and do a wash-and-wear most days leaving just a little conditioner in my hair to keep the frizz away (or just pull it back in a clip); if it's a bad day, I use a bit of the MoroccanOil Light on the ends.

For the growing out phase, headbands were my life saver! You can usually find some really cute ones at running stores (I have a ton of a brand called Bondi Band from about a decade ago but I know there are many other brands now). That keeps the hair out of your eyes and helps you feel more put together too. Once it's long enough, invest in some cute clips to keep it from falling forward but not being able to tuck behind the ears. Once you can tuck it, you're pretty much past the worst phase. Next up is waiting until it's long enough to ponytail and the final phase is long enough to up-do. Just keep doing what you've been doing... let it grow for many months with minimal trips; if your ends look healthy, keep letting it grow. A trim every 3-4 months for styling or adding small layers might help along the way.

Good luck!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having naturally curly hair, I can tell you to find a stylist that is into naturally curly hair. I finally found one. So many don't know how to handle or cut naturally curly hair and it ends up looking hideous. Believe me, I know.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gentle hair products, good conditioner, a good stylist who specializes or just knows a lot about curly hair.

And, a BIG second to ILikeShiney's recommendation for naturallycurly.com Her assessment of the website is spot on. Yes, the posters and the site itself can be overzealous, but they also know what they are talking about.

Find the section that helps you figure out just what kind of wavy/curly hair you have now, then go to the sections that address your hair type. There will be tons of information. And here's the hard one for me: be patient with yourself and hair. Even once you narrow down your hair type, you may need to try a couple different routines/product combinations to figure out what you and your hair like best.

As your hair grows out, you may also find you will need something different. My hair, for example, gets wavier/curlier with length. SO off from what I'd heard for years from hairdressers that a shorter cut with layers would "bring the curl out." No, that does the opposite for me.

Now that you are sorry I saw your question :) I'll say go have fun with it. It's okay for those of us over....umm...a certain age to use a pin or clip or headband in our hair. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is super, super short and I am wondering if I should grow it out. I had long hair all my life. When I got to my late 50's I went short, but not pixie. Now I am shorter than pixie. In another thread I mentioned that my hairdresser cut it too short right before my father's memorial service, giving an impression of it being shaven (which it wasn't) above my ears. I said (in the other thread) I felt I looked just like Jeff Sessions; all I could see was my ears. But my daughter told me I wasn't as cute as Jeff Sessions! Right now the top is much longer than it usually is because I wanted to give those sides time to grow out. So I could do something other than what I have been doing with it. But do I want to? In my opinion, growing hair out is a fate worse than death! I wish you luck, Begonia. I have no tips, however.

Deb :wavey:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you haven't done it, have your thyroid checked. If your hair grows more slowly than it used to, it could be hypothyroidism. My hair is very thick and grows unbelievably fast and I have kept it in a chin length bob for over 20 years. A few years ago it thinned and I noticed it was not growing as fast. Sure enough it was thyroid. I'm on meds now and hair is back to an inch every 4 weeks.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
I also suggest taking biotin if you are not already. It is a miracle worker.
I cut my hair into a long bob a few years ago and immediately regretted it. Started taking biotin and it grew like crazy.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies!!!
My very short pixie was so eye catching and fun, but it had gotten extremely short and once I started to grow it a little, I got to wondering what a full head of hair would be like again.

Austina - I'll just have to persevere - I think a wee trim would get me through this rough patch. Maybe a new stylist is in order.

Swingirl - I think I'll give her one more cut and see how she does. She was pretty good with the pixie until she took too much off. That seems to be her MO - taking off too much hair. Mine is growing too slowly to lose it all in one session! I'll watch her carefully. I leave in some conditioner and use a lightweight get. I think it needs shaping however. Just give me a little something to give me some hope here LOL.

Scandinavian - I wish :lol:. I think if I coloured it, might make it behave better? I don't colour my hair and never have. Maybe makes it tougher to style?

Missile!! Dear girl - I use Giovanni and other health store brands (clean?), but the salon convinced me to try Bumble and Bumble. Ok I guess? I'm trying to wash less and stay away from sulphates and silicones. I leave in a bit of conditioner and the light weight gel. My wave is so slight and can completely disappear on some days. I will give the supplements a go for sure. Prenatal vitamins helped 15 years ago...

Sandeek - I reckon she gets one more visit for loyalty and then I'll seek out someone else. My small city is sparse on talented stylists though :roll

ILikeShiny - I'll check out that website. In about 2 minutes LOL. The wave is so slight right now but I'm hoping it will come in more with length. Here's hoping. My new whites will appreciate the care even if the curls don't develop like I hope. It's interesting to try some new approaches and see if you get some fun results.

Autumngems - no curls yet, but coarseness and frizz. I'm hoping though. The white is only about 50% in and it's really changed my texture so should be interesting to see how it changes it further as I go more white.

Kaekae - gonna check it out. Oh yeah. I hope some fun stuff happens with length. So far, the back is wavy and the top almost straight (but not quite). Who knew you could have different patterns over the head?? I don't like to do too much with my hair. I grew up with a mom that stayed out of all sun ( she coloured her hair) and all wind and rain. I swore I'd never restrict how I lived my life by my hair. I don't mind the odd blow dry and using good products but I draw the line at straightening every day. I don't think the new whites could take it anyway.

AGBF - short is great but 20 years later I longed for some more hair. We'll see, if it's yucky hair, off it comes!

ceg - I have thyroid nodules (benign so far thank goodness) and some symptoms of both hypo and hyper and yet my levels are checking out fine (??) . Perhaps some supplements would help. I'll get my doc to recheck (if he'll agree that is, I've just had them done. I would say mine is maybe 1/2 inch every 4 weeks? I'm in my 50's now, so maybe postmenopausal rates?

I've read a few of those sites where you see the before and after of frizz to curls. Mine isn't like that (but I don't have a lot of length yet). Worst case scenario? It's frizzy white that won't curl or wave. Off she comes. I've only really been at this 4 months so I should give it a year and see what I might have. Sigh...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I really appreciate the feedback!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else going thru this or remember how painful this process is LOL?
I have curly, coarse, very very very very thick hair that has tended to go more wavy than curly these past 5 years. Every couple of years I'd get exhausted by trying to maintain it long (it takes a ton of products and maintenance by a stylist every 3 wks) and I'd get a pixie. I loved the ease of a short cut. My hair grows quickly but very time I'd grow it out I'd reach the helmet hair phase where the growth stalled for what felt like months. This was accompanied by the frizzies so the effect was sort of like a mutant Brillo pad residing upon my pate. It was soooo ugly I finally bought a wig to get through it. I've been with my current stylist for a decade and she gets a petrified look on her face whenever I say I'm ready for a change and want it short because she has to endure my mood swings and teeth gnashing when I start to grow it out. She refuses to cut it short ever again claiming that life is too short to babysit me through another grow out :mrgreen2:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Gosh - I love the growing out stories! Especially the ones where things don't go wonderfully and it was painless LOL

That's how I feel - helmet head LOL.
My hair is not nearly as thick as it used to be - again not sure if that's a thyroid issue but whatever the reason, I've got a helmet, and an ugly one!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if you grow out the top before you grow out the back? So continue to get back trimmed (by new hair dresser) until the top is long-ish. Then let back come in.

Or you can get extensions like all the celebrities do after they very bravely cut off their beautiful locks. :mrgreen2:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Puppmom - I've considered that - trimming up the back and do the front first. I did it that way the other 2 times I grew my hair out. Ya know, it helped for a while and then you hit that super short bob phase - and that looks pretty bad on me. So tempting though!

I think I'm in the worst part right now - if I can get thru another 4 months then I'll have both the front and back at a good stage (I think). I'm gonna wait for another 4 weeks and then get a wee trim/shape.

I feel kinda silly analyzing all this - talk about first world problems. Then I look in the mirror...but it sure is nice to talk to other ladies about it that know how ugly you feel with months of bad hair days :confused2:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to grow out my pixie a few years ago and hit the Bay City Rollers stage (god bless the 70s... ) and said fvck it and got it cut again. I HAVE grown it out at least twice over the years, but I can't remember how the process went. The memories are so painful I've apparently repressed them.

Good luck!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes!
That's where I am - bay city rollers stage :lol:
I have stupid hair now too - something about the nature of salt and pepper with my texture. It's...hard to describe.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!
That's where I am - bay city rollers stage :lol:
I have stupid hair now too - something about the nature of salt and pepper with my texture. It's...hard to describe.
Is it like mine, where the colored strands are smooth and mostly behave while the white strands are course and often reach for the sky as though I'm filled with static electricity? o_O

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you use the tea tree products by Giovanni they are pretty much the same as the Trader Joe's version and TJ is cheaper.

I like to use a boar bristle brush on my shampoo or cowash days to distribute my oils evenly and reduce frizz. On non hairwashing days I use a detangling brush. Why? Boar bristle will leave me with a slick oil helmet lololol if I don't wash after brushing.

And if anyone gives you flack about the awkward in between stages as you grow your hair out, tell them they're just jealous and don't know the latest trends lololol.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Trader Joe's sounds like a great place - I'm Canadian and I don't have one where I live. Even the Giovanni line is bare bones. Sigh...

Yes, exactly PB. The brown are my old texture and the white is like pubic hair LOL. It's as charming as it sounds:lol:
You and should kick a few @$$e$ by the sounds of it! I'm game if you are.

Thinking about it, I think I get my frustration. I'm a plain gal. Nothing special in the looks dept. Now don't go disagreeing with me here - it's true. But I had a few nice assets. A boyish figure (think levis) and a nice thick head of brown hair. I put on 20 pounds recently - the poked my thyroid and boom! 20 pounds. There goes my best levis. Now the stupid hair. I think my self esteem is taking a hit. Menopause and aging are tough on a gals self esteem sometimes, ya know? Shoulda worn that damn boustier when I had the chance...

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing on thyroid levels - TSH should be in the middle of normal spectrum to feel good. My TSH was 4 for a long time when my hair was thinning and I had horrible fatigue and strange aches and pains. My gyno wouldn't increase the dosage of meds because I was in normal range, albeit on the edge of hypo. I now see an endocrinologist who treats by symptoms instead of just numbers and I am on both synthroid ans cytomel. TSH is about 2 now and my life is much better!

Hope your hair grows out of the awkward stage! Good luck!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ just my own opinion, but I think the right TSH level will be different for each person ... that's why there is a range ... and although the middle-of-the-range may be best for you, I can assure you being at the low end of the range is best for me.

It is so important to monitor ourselves and our symptoms and side-effects and changes, and even more important to have a doctor who is responsive and current.

OP - Unless you doctor is adopting the "wait and see" philosophy, where he'd like to see how you are after 6-9 months on present dosage, 20 pounds is a significant weight gain and absent other medical cause should be reason enough for your doctor to re-evaluate your prescription.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia, I totally get it. I have a round face and the bob that hits right at the jaw line is not a good look for me!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Long standing short hair here. Longish swoopy bang, short back. Tuk behind ears, or hair forward. I have dark blonde hair and light blonde lights. Lots of grey--which is very noticeable in the back cuz it is short. I love it--all looks natural.

When my hair started to grey/aging I realized I needed to change scalp and hair products. I've recently found that Phyto products work wonders for thinning hair and supplying moisture. Honestly, the stuff "tames" my grey! Grey is a beast and Phyto provides me a great service by keeping it at bay. My sister loves it also and her hair takes a lot more abuse than mine--she flat irons, etc.

These products are at Shoppers Drug Mart. Not cheap but Shoppers has great promotions. Points and all that.

As for growing your hair out...nothing like time. I know it is frustrating when hair doesn't cooperate but good quality products make what you've got look good; well, that can buy you time. Too if you always get your hair cut on a Tuesday...change your appointment date til Saturday. Extend your normal cut time by a week and hopefully the products will give you some control and a glow that you will not be watching dates at all.

cheers--Sharon

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain. I've grown out a pixie once (it was an accident...I went in for a short cut and came out with a cut several inches shorter than I asked for :wall:). I'm a wash-and-go kind of girl, and that was a cut I had to fix before leaving. *shudder* I spent months braiding and bobby pinning. And I didn't cut my hair at all during that time. For me, braids (particularly two strand) disguised the awkward mix of lengths my hair was. Keeping up a renaissance-y vibe and pairing it with cute earrings helped me press through the awkward stage and still feel satisfied with my hair.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Commiserating about it helps LOL

Went out twice yesterday and both friends loved my hair :shock:
Raved about it - guess it does look ok. I'm gob smacked cuz I feel ratty and ugly but I guess I'm wrong?

Haven't had a chance to read that site yet - one darn thing after another - but have been washing with conditioner, and ya know, the hair is really liking it. It's soft and the browns are darker and the whites are D internally flawless (just kidding) - the whites are beautiful in color. Huh. Who knew? Off to read about hair.

I should start that hunt for a blue sapphire now - that would take a while and would distract me. It's the only right thing to do...;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results