clarity

Green jadeite: imperial, yang, apple?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That pair will glow in sunlight though. Good chromium content. But far from IG and glassy base. Nor icy.

Still a good penny. But 15k, nah.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ya I also didn’t think is imperial.

@Sydneyphoenix pls don’t think that lab certified color names are always reliable. They are not. I just worry that you will over rely on a lab cert.

Agree with you on the lab cert reliance.

Better to train your eye .

OK, I'm out of this thread, gotta prepare for another work week ahead :(

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
That pair will glow in sunlight though. Good chromium content. But far from IG and glassy base. Nor icy.

Still a good penny. But 15k, nah.

I don’t know if it’s 15K, just a guess as prices are unknown but the shop have items priced up to 15K!

Ya I also didn’t think is imperial.

@Sydneyphoenix pls don’t think that lab certified color names are always reliable. They are not. I just worry that you will over rely on a lab cert.

Thank you for your concerns, and @Burmesedaze. I know colour names are not reliable, especially between different labs, but was looking to see if the terms can be used as an assistant to visual judgement, especially given lack of good jade stores or good labs other than GSL in Australia.

I guess a take-home message is that “imperial jade” in English-language use is much broader than what Chinese language would imply, and stones called “imperial jade” quite acceptably outside China (and SE Asia maybe?) especially in the West will be more likely termed “yang green” or “grandmother” jade (is that what it’s really called, strange reference...). Personally I really would choose “grandmother” or “ 艳绿” (anyone care to tell me what that character stands for?!) over “emperor” jade in a blind test, though I gather “emperor” colour is the gold-standard of “imperial jade” in Chinese language use.

Last edited:

femmemannequin

Rough_Rock
Pretty!

It looks a lot a lot better =)2

My cabs change with lighting too... I’ve another 2 loose green cabs, the darker green cab is described as 卒绿 and is 1.2x0.9x0.5cm. The paler cab is 绿莹光 and can’t find the measurements. The pale cab has a slight glow and is the more expensive of the two loose cabs.

EE26D33C-8C72-49D0-B851-17398C674EA6.jpeg

Indoors indirect natural lught

AA01A25B-3F1E-4499-97A3-E6E3C6364A52.jpeg

Natural light at balcony
15F1C0BC-2F9B-4CE9-8B51-3600D181BFAE.jpeg 6C204338-5813-4C1E-AE68-3CE8B808A6F2.jpeg
After buying various jadeite colors, I think I just have a soft spot for jadeite that glows. So watery jade it is...

4E93B6DC-61EA-45F0-B6A0-5DF995AB6642.jpeg

imperial jadeite is 1 on this chart
The type that glows is 3

卒绿 is 2

Yang green is 4, apple green is 5, bluish green is 6, grey green is 7 and oil green is 8

the horizontal scale is yellowish to bluish
The vertical scale is intense water on top and intense color at the bottom

lovely collection! thanks for sharing

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
”Yan” 艳

I understand it to be vivid green.

祖母绿 - emerald green

Just for eye candy:

E7380C9B-0B91-488E-AB2E-52BA9F7B2F38.png

I thought 祖母=grandmother, lolz. And it actually means emerald?! Thank you for clarifying.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe China has an insatiable appetite and spending power for them. I'm told they are swiped from the factory even before they hit the stalls, usually.

I ish poor.

Beads are like x 2 the thickness of cabs so to be able to see the string through them is already 高冰/冰玻 minimally.

I would be happy owning 1 bead haha. I didn't get to see any real imperial green in Myanmar.

But there were plenty of thin slices and cabs of that colour for sale. Usually 1mm to 2mm ish. Also not 浓,as thickness impacts that too.

In the end, I just buy what I like.

Digress, didn't see any sky blue bangles but I managed to snag this 10mm cab this week. No backing.

received_2928001124152607.jpeg

That is utterly perfect - LOVE it!

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Okay, thanks to you guys, I believe I have very basic understanding of Chinese nomenclature on jadeite colour, as in differences between 祖母, 翠 (both stand for emerald, looks like 翠 can be also rendered as intense?), 艳 (vivid),帝王 (imperial). Now when you look at kathyjade.com (one of major jade stores in Taiwan), vast majority of their top products are described as 翠綠, and I could thus far find only one item described as 帝王綠, this pendant/brooch:

Can anyone tell me by looking at photos of this products and others described as 翠綠, and try to tell apart any substantial differences in colour, I for the life of me can't tell why one is described as 帝王綠 while others are "merely" 翠綠. Of course I don't know if that distinction was intentional on Kathyjade's part.

A pendant described as 翠綠, given we should try to compare apples to apples where possible (slightly more expensive than the 帝王綠 one above):

One of their most expensive products, costing more than 10 times the price for 帝王綠 pendant:

Do any of them look “imperial jade” to you, as in 帝王綠, rather than wider usage of “imperial jade” in English-language context (for which all these plus many others in this store would probably qualify)?

Last edited:

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Different “imperial jades 帝王綠” per different organisations...

Slightly bluish green, almost like Colombian emeralds

Slightly lighter tone than the others?

Not the best angle, but similar colour to Sotheby’s example?

Seems unable to decide whether it’s vivid green or imperial green but similar colour to others?

Any of them hit the mark or completely wrong?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love these jade threads:kiss2:
its like watching the most cinematic most besutiful foreign movie with a wonderful orchestral score:appl::kiss2::appl::kiss2::appl::kiss2:

but also where its just so pretty it doesn't matter i have pretty much no idea what every one is on about :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The earrings I posted looked imperial to me. Maybe the photo wasn’t that accurate but it was gorgeous irl.

Maybe something like this? I’ve seen lighter shades described as imperial as well. But yeah I think bluish green, good translucency, even color, and some glow.

B43A2A61-3506-47BE-B396-CD5F173E045D.jpeg 1FA1C24B-8323-463E-B1D8-F8CC8D281953.jpeg

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
The earrings I posted looked imperial to me. Maybe the photo wasn’t that accurate but it was gorgeous irl.

Maybe something like this? I’ve seen lighter shades described as imperial as well. But yeah I think bluish green, good translucency, even color, and some glow.

B43A2A61-3506-47BE-B396-CD5F173E045D.jpeg 1FA1C24B-8323-463E-B1D8-F8CC8D281953.jpeg

If you are talking about the Earrings that was marked for HKD480K, yes I tend to agree, a light-tone side of imperial.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If you are talking about the Earrings that was marked for HKD480K, yes I tend to agree, a light-tone side of imperial.

They were taken under strong exhibition lighting using a camera phone. So yes, imperial green and I don’t think is “light” irl.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
3DCE523C-A1B1-420B-91C7-80C2D8083F21.png F4A43429-89AB-4A9D-97CA-1337AFBE4A29.png
Just to share AIGS’s standard for colour classification, the stone the vendor (AJS Gems) thought be imperial turned out to be apple green, not even royal green (I guess emerald or vivid green per the nomenclatures we’ve been discussing here)? Have gone to plan B, hope that comes with better result!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results