shape
carat
color
clarity

Great Grandmother''s E-ring + Homer Aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
A while back, my mother gave me my great grandmother's e-ring set and surprised me by adding an amethyst plus diamonds. I wore it for a year and realized the amethyst was just too dark, so I wanted to change it. For reasons that I cannot explain, I really wanted an aqua. So, Wink worked with Richard Homer, who happened to have just enough material to cut an aqua to fit my ring. My digital camera is very old and lacks image stabilization, so I really did not take many pictures. I know I went the unpopular route by not going with a sapphire and getting a concave cut for this ring, but I like it. Not completely sure if this is the best aqua out there for my ring, but I am not an expert with colored gems, so I trusted Wink on this one.

Here is the "before" picture:

Peacock2.omie.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Aqua.omie.1.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Aqua.3.omie..JPG

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness! It''s gorgeous!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Not sure why this one did not attach, hope it works this time..

Aqua.3.omie.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh it turned out beautiful. I love it with the Aqua and what a lovely treasure of your great grandmother.

Linda

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Here is the only one I could get with it on my hand. This is of course being worn as a RHR.

aqua.hand.omie.JPG

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I see what you mean about the amethyst being a little too dark. The Aqua is fantastic! It really pops.
30.gif
I think you can see the intricate detail of the setting much better with a lighter (and such a well cut) stone.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! Love the color, and I bet the sparkle is amazing!

Enjoy!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Great choice on the color and cut!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and I love the color.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Wow what a difference! The amethyst just got lost, but that Aqua has some presence!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omie, it''s GORGEOUS!!! I liked the amethyst, but the aqua is even better!
36.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it looks so much better with the aqua! Lovely ring.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooo, I LOVE IT with the aqua. It''s GORGEOUS!!!!!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2008 11:16:00 PM
Author: westjenn
I see what you mean about the amethyst being a little too dark. The Aqua is fantastic! It really pops.
30.gif
I think you can see the intricate detail of the setting much better with a lighter (and such a well cut) stone.
Ditto!

It''s just beautiful omie, wear it in good health!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
nclrgirl - thank you. The setting is gorgeous! When I first saw it, it was almost a charcol color and completely empty, but it was love at first site!

Linda W - I think it turned out very nice. As I said before Wink found me the stone and I had it set by my local jeweler. It is a lovely treasure from my great grandmother, my mom has many fond memories of her, I wish I had the chance to meet her!

westjenn - While purple is my favorite color, I did find the original amethyst to dark and I do agree that the aqua really does pop (you should see it in the sun). The setting is quite detailed and I do think the lighter stone allows some of the detail to stand out more.

Fly Girl - The sparkle is amazing in the sun!

misspinky - I got close to the color I wanted and I really like the cut. Some might think it too busy for a setting like this, but I think the concave cut gives it some character.

marcyc - Thanks!

geckodani - You are correct. Many people are noticing the ring as I wear it now and they cannot believe the stone is an aqua.

Irishgrrrl - If I would have gotten an amethyst that was either lighter or one that had shots of red through it, I might have never changed it.

Kismet - Thank you! I am very happy with how it turned out.

Catmom - In all honesty, I think it was your aqua necklace that really pushed me to go in that direction!

Ellen - thanks so much dear! The ring was completed back in February and I have only just now had a chance to post its picture!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely
36.gif
!

cheers--Sharon

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That's so beautiful! And so much more appropriate to the period than an amethyst, too. Aquas were popular in the sorts of settings that were also used for diamonds--filigree, or elaborate, geometric settings with small diamonds, like yours. What a delightful ring.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2008 12:34:47 PM
Author: omieluv
nclrgirl - thank you. The setting is gorgeous! When I first saw it, it was almost a charcol color and completely empty, but it was love at first site!

Linda W - I think it turned out very nice. As I said before Wink found me the stone and I had it set by my local jeweler. It is a lovely treasure from my great grandmother, my mom has many fond memories of her, I wish I had the chance to meet her!

westjenn - While purple is my favorite color, I did find the original amethyst to dark and I do agree that the aqua really does pop (you should see it in the sun). The setting is quite detailed and I do think the lighter stone allows some of the detail to stand out more.

Fly Girl - The sparkle is amazing in the sun!

misspinky - I got close to the color I wanted and I really like the cut. Some might think it too busy for a setting like this, but I think the concave cut gives it some character.

marcyc - Thanks!

geckodani - You are correct. Many people are noticing the ring as I wear it now and they cannot believe the stone is an aqua.

Irishgrrrl - If I would have gotten an amethyst that was either lighter or one that had shots of red through it, I might have never changed it.

Kismet - Thank you! I am very happy with how it turned out.

Catmom - In all honesty, I think it was your aqua necklace that really pushed me to go in that direction!

Ellen - thanks so much dear! The ring was completed back in February and I have only just now had a chance to post its picture!
YAY Omie, I''m always happy to spread the aqua love!
31.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Sharon - thank you so much! :)

glitterata - The original diamond was removed and set in an ugly ring for my grandmother. Fortunately, my mom was left that ring, so we could have either placed the diamond back into my great grandmother's setting, which would have been ideal for the setting. However, my mother was quite fond of her grandmother, but not fond of her setting. So, she kept the stone, and I have the setting. I decided on the aqua after being inspired by Catmom and through viewing rings on sites like Fay Cullen.

Catmom - You really did spread aqua love!! I had never been fond of aqua's, until I saw yours, which lead me to do some research...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously beautiful. I love it much more than the amethyst. Of course it helps that my favorite color is blue. Lol.

And I, for one, am glad that you didn''t go the concave route. I''m just not a fan of concave faceting. I like chunks dang it!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Hi Freke - My favorite color is purple and had I had a nicer amethyst, I probably would not have replaced it. However, the one I had was far too dark, fortunately, it was not an expensive stone. You have a very nice amethyst though!! The aqua is actually a concave cut! You probably cannot tell so much because it is a lighter stone. One day, I will have to get outside and take some pictures in the sun, it just glows.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it looks great and i love the hand shot!

movie zombie

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks MZ!! Your comment regarding the handshot makes me feel good, considering I had a heck of a time getting my 5 year old digi-cam to get any clear pictures (it has 3 MP''s and no image stabilization). Thank goodness my bathroom has good lighting, otherwise I would have been able to pick up any of the briliance of the stone.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Wow! What a beautiful ring. The aqua suits the setting much better. A wonderful new hierloom. Great job!
36.gif

Jess

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
SDL - thank you so much dear!

Jess - Yes, this is a wonderful heirloom and I hope I will be able to find someone who is equally in love with the setting when it is time to pass it along. The stone in your avitar is beautiful, do you have a thread on it? If so, I am sorry I missed it...looks like a pretty stone!!
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, what a treasure and the beautiful stone!!!
36.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Wow--how wonderful! It''s a stunning ring--just beautiful.
1.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Wow.....such an awesome color aqua....enjoy your amazing heirloom!

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results