shape
carat
color
clarity

Gray?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What gray gemstones are there? I''ve seen some spinels and some moonstone, is there anything else? I''m a bit stumped and thought I''d ask all of you for help! If you see or know of any decent specimens- would you mind posting a link?

Thanks!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Labradorite?

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
smoky quartz and hematite come to mind

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
How about a fancy Gray Diamond. It would be different and rare.

Joker....

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
A gray diamond would be nice and sparkly... but if not a gray diamond, a taaffeite. They can be very purple-ish, but I'd bet you can find a gray beauty. On the "10 Rarest List" it's more than a million times scarcer than a diamond.

TAAFFEITE pronounced TAR-fite, is a mauve to purple to red stone named after Bohemian-Irish gemologist Edward Taaffe who discovered the first one from a box of Sri Lankan spinels in 1945. If you could round up all the faceted taaffeites currently in existence they would fill about half a cup. ...

I think "half a cup" might be an exaggeration... multicolor.com alone has 17 faceted taaffeites:

http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?/gallery/single/taaffeite/&-474833638

taaffeiete.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so Labradorite is known as moonstone, sunstone, etc?

And hematite is red when it''s dust or has red streaks in it, but can be silver, gray or black?

I would love a fancy gray diamond, but they are WAY out of my price range. I found a 3 carat for about $13,000 and while lovely, is more than I could sell my car for (well maybe about the same price-but I NEED my car, I only sorta need the diamond).

Same problem with taaffeite. Just too expensive. Absolutely stunning though. I love the mysterious colors it comes in with the purple/blue hues. Maybe when I''m done with school and making decent money...

I''m working on a student''s budget so it''s looking like I''m going to have to go for a spinel, unless anyone can think of anything else...

I was looking at this stone, but the cut looks lopsided-am I seeing things? I don''t really know enough to know what I''m looking at-I just know I really like the color it seems from this photo: Gray Spinel

What do you guys think?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Isn''t there a silver sapphire? I think I remember seeing a Richard Homer one at a round table - it was very pretty.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, HELL yes... how interesting and chic!

grayspinel.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
But is it just me or is that last pic with the table on the surface (not great with my terms yet! I'm sorry!) doesn't the bottom look a little lopsided? Or am I dreaming?

I don't know enough about these things.
38.gif

ETA: I love love LOVE the color on that stone though. Everything else looks too light or too dark.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Well, yes - it does. But y''know... if there were another "0" or two at the end of the price, I''d think more about that. The price... the size.... the color - it''s a hot, fun rock (IMO).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know-totally my thoughts on it as well, but I''m wondering if that will make it harder to set, and I have no idea how I''d get it set anyway, I just really like the stone...Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results