shape
carat
color
clarity

Grading an I1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
The call for grading an I1 has always been the rule of thumb if you can see any kind of inclusion from the diamond in a face up position with the unaided eye its an I1.

Some people¡¦s eyes are better then others and some people have eagles eyes and some have the help of 2 inch thick glasses. Then to top it off the older we get the less we see as graders. Is the grade to be made by normal eyes? I¡¦ve thrown on Cheater glasses from the drug store and found they over judge the grade.

What¡¦s the call or is this one of those objective opinions I read about (a diamond graders safety net) ƒº

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The eye clean issue for SI2 and not eye clean for I1 scenario pertains ONLY to the small diamonds used in the GIA Diamond Grading course only. When grading 1 carat sized diamonds there are many SI2 stones where one can see inclsuions with the naked eye. If you examine 1 carat emerald cuts you might even see VS2 inclusions without a loupe..

It is far too simplistic to grade the clarity of diamonds I1 if you see inclusions with the unaided eye. If it were a perfect world, this might happen. But, we live in the real world where diamonds are not graded the same regardless of their size or importance. The GTL, The GIA's Gem Trade Laboratory, uses and interprets the GIA educational system of grading in ways that are seemingly complex. Since the subject is complex, it all makes sense if you take the time to consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results