shape
carat
color
clarity

grad school

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Is anyone else here at PS waiting to hear back from PhD programs?
If so, what programs?

I am falling apart here! If you applied to one in the past, when did you know if you got in or not? They say mid-March, but a friend of mind has already gotten word from two schools.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I did my Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology (actually, I''m still waiting for a defense date), and I heard back from all four schools to which I applied right away--all in less than a month. I was accepted by 3 of the 4 programs (the one that rejected me said they could tell that I really didn''t want into their program, which was true).

Hang in there! And don''t worry about when your friends get into their programs--some of my classmates who were EXTREMELY bright and exceedingly qualified did not hear back as quickly as I did.

What are you getting your Ph.D. in?

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Either comparative literature (French and Arabic) or middle eastern studies, I hope.

The only school that gave us a general date was NYU (mid March)
My alternante plan for next year I *know* doesn''t report until at least the end of march, though.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2006 5:59:17 AM
Author: rainbowtrout
Either comparative literature (French and Arabic) or middle eastern studies, I hope.

My alternante plan for next year I *know* doesn''t report until at least the end of march, though.

I have a BA and an MA from NYU and was also a Ph.D student in Modern European History there. While working on the BA and MA I studied a lot of history and politics of the Middle East. It''s been a long time, but I wonder if any of my former professors are still teaching there!

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least one of my former professors specializing in the Middle East is still there! He doesn''t teach literature, however! I liked him a lot.

Professor Kazemi

Deb
34.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 5:59:17 AM

OOOH, I majored in Middle Eastern studies and have been thinking (very abstractly at this point) of going back to school at some point! Where else did you apply? There don''t seem to be that many places with programs from what I can tell.... I went to Columbia undergrad, so I kind of don''t want to do that again, so NYU is one of the few places on the horizon for me.....

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 1:19:14 AM
Author:rainbowtrout
Is anyone else here at PS waiting to hear back from PhD programs?

If so, what programs?

I am falling apart here! If you applied to one in the past, when did you know if you got in or not? They say mid-March, but a friend of mind has already gotten word from two schools.

Hi Rainbow, I was in your position 2 years ago, waiting for news on my masters program. I applied to an environmental psychoIogy program and an urban planning program. I got an email of acceptance to the urban design program on March 3 from the school that I''m currently attending. Then it was a week or so later that I got my acceptance letter from the other school I applied to. When I applied I had been told to expect a reply in April. So I was surprised they came a month early!

Good luck!!!
9.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
It took three months to get the word back on law school, three of the longest months ever! I checked the mail rigorously and even called the post office a couple of times to make sure nothing got lost.
20.gif
Just hang in there, you'll get it eventually.
2.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys, thanks for the support!

I applied to Penn, Harvard, NYU, Columbia and Berkeley.

ABGF, that''s neat about your professor! They do tend to stick around.

And...OMG--Penn emailed to say there will let me know tommorrow. Ack. Excuse me while I go freak out now. Harvard is telling March 2, apparently.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
So I am probably fretting over nothing, but what does this mean:

Hi XXXX,

The Director of Graduate Studies will be sending out an email with the
timeline for the decision making process; you will probably receive it
tomorrow. Are you under some sort of pressure to know immediately? By that
I mean, have you received offers of admission from other universities, and
have to let them know? If you have any more questions, let me know. Thanks.

YYYYYY

This was in response to very brief email I sent her asking when they notified people....I know she is new (haha shows how obsessive I am I know that much about the secretary) but it seems a little odd. I am not sure how to respond to it.

NYU is at the top of my list, too, so I don''t want to screw it up!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
That sounds pretty good rainbow.. Hang in there girl!! My fingers will be crossed for you!!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I got into NYU!

Full funding gaurantee for 6 years, health insurance, and a small startup grant for books and moving.

Of course, my mom''s reaction was "20,000/yr isn''t enough to live in Manhattan, sweetie".....ahhhhh! This is seriously one of the best comparative literature programs out there, and the funding is comparable to other cities (offered 16,000 for Harvard, for example)

Surely there is a way to do it!!!!!!

New Yorkers, have ye any suggestions?

The director of the program is supposed to call me in the next week, I am trying to think of a list of questions to ask him. I''m going to meet with my professors, but feel free to suggest anything you can think of!

Flyfisher says there are tons of good med schools in New York...yay!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! Congratulations on your acceptance!!! Isn''t that the best feeling?!?!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2006 7:23:44 PM
I got into NYU!

Congratulations! It is a good school!

Deb
34.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome, congratulations. NYU is a great school!!!
36.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
thanks
36.gif

I wish I could quit fussing about the money for a little bit!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
congrats RT! i am personally experiancing the anxiety of waiting for acceptances...so i am soooo happy for you that you got word from one of your top choices that you''re in!!! woohoo!
36.gif

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Just enjoy the good feelings for a couple of days before obsessing about the financing (easier said than done, I know)!

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! I''m living on a doctoral stipend myself, so I know the feeling about worrying about finances. You''ll be fine though - everyone''s in the same boat, know what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results