shape
carat
color
clarity

Gotta love that 2 months salary guideline...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcard71

Rough_Rock
I was on the diamond is forever website and punched in my $81,500 a year
salary in the "2 month calculator" and it came up to over $13,000...Are they on drugs? What a marketing ploy...

I spent $7,000 on my GF ring and at first I felt like I should run back into the JSTORE and spend another $6,000, but the more I look at the ring I bought
the better I feel about it! I think she's going to love it and I didn't have to follow that 2 month guide line..

Anyone else feel obligated to spending 2 months salary? Or am I being cheap?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This would make a cool poll, because I don't think hardly anyone listens to that 2 months rule! If that was the case, my ring would have cost almost double. Ridiculous! I know that it's a well-known guideline but I would love to hear from people who actually budgeted beforehand based on their 2 months salary...gross right? Well I can see how people would calculate that out...and then realize that DB is INSANE...and drop it about 1/2...hee hee.
2.gif

Not that there aren't days where I think wistfully...boy that would have been nice. Before I snap back to reality...and write out the new mortgage check!
errrr.gif

Diamond 4 Ever

Rough_Rock
We didn't spend 2 months salary on the e-ring. At that time, the choice was either a house or ring. Of course we had to choose something that both of us can benefit from, the house!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
We had about $6000 saved up...and ended up finding the perfect house instead! So we went for it, and about 3 weeks after we moved in, the Justice of the Peace came to the house and married us!

Got honeymoons on the 3rd (Bahamas), and 5th (Mexico) anniversarys...and am now ring shopping for the 10th anniversary in April! Finally!!!
tongue.gif

Still have the Mortgage, cars, etc..., so it won't be close to 2 months salary either! But, we're going to design ourselves, so it will be special!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have a theory about the 2 months salary thing: It makes no sense for anyone. It's another DeBeers marketing campaign. Think about it. For those whose salary is on the lower end, there is no way they have the discretionary income to spend 2 months salary on a ring. What it takes to save to that level is too hard and that money should go toward things other than discretionary luxuries. There are many people here upgrading or just getting their first diamond after many years together, once they've knocked down all the necessities, and that's a great accomplishment for them!

For those on the higher salary end, 2 months salary can be a crazy amount of money to spend on one ring. (10's of thousands of dollars just because that's how the math works???)

Spend what you think you can spend, and what makes sense, without putting your future at risk. If you can, buy the ring that fits with you and your intended's lifestyles. Don't take on debt, don't deplete your savings. If this really is your life partner, there will be lots of things to spend money on in the future (houses, kids, vacations, retirement, gifts, luxuries, etc.....) There is plenty of time to buy diamonds, and that is part of the fun.....

Shappy

Rough_Rock
LOL if you think you're cheap, you haven't met my husband! He thought a replacement diamond would cost $1,000.
Seriously, I didn't spend anywhere near 2 months salary (or even near 1 month) although he never gave me a budget. It's all a marketing ploy. I just worry when the younger people read about people spending enormous amounts on these rings that they think its the norm--it isn't. My advice is--buy what you want to afford-don't use credit to finance something like a diamond.

tessa

Shiny_Rock
that is a pretty scary guideline.

They should add.......

You have already qualified for a low-interest 18% credit card issued on the DeBeers Bank

angryfire.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I, of course, had heard the two month’s salary , but knew it was coming from DeBeers. So I equated it to Ford saying that you should spend a year’s salary on your car. Two months gross salary is a lot of money to save up and takes a long time. I don’t think women, in general, truly appreciate what else the guy could have spend the money on.

So with the 2 month salary in mind, I started thinking about 1 month’s salary. Since then it may wind up somewhere in between, but with all the costs it IS closing in on the 2 month salary guideline real quick. This dilemma, I’ll have to explain in another post.

In short, I think a month's gross salary is a good value okay without being cheap.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Didn't the 'guideline' used to be one month's salary some years back? Does anybody else remember this? I'm not that old but I seem to remember 15-20 years ago hearing ads proclaiming that.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Anyone who says two months gross is nuts, unless that is the kind of money you can throw around safely... I say a fair amount can be two months NET. After taxes, the amount is lower, and it is a little easier.

That to me, would be the HIGH range. Anything lower than two months net is good if you also want to save up for other things, weddings, house, credit card debt payoffs, etc...

So Jcard71, under my rule, your upper limit of e-ring spending would be $8,149, $8150 to be nice. You have spent well into that range, and I say you did well. Save your money for so many other expenses that will pop up unexpectedly! (at a 40% total tax rate)

If we didn't have to pay taxes, then i say we can keep all our $ and spend whatever we want on a luxury good that's a bad investment and yeilds no return! We do pay taxes, so our total yearly salary is NOT our own. The Net amount IS.

After expenses, you should save up as comfortably as you can (give yourself a year, if needed) and save when you have some extra. But then again, most people don't have saving, and instead have debt and I DO NOT recommend an e-ring until you are FREE and CLEAR of all debt. Debt on top of debt to compete with the Joneses is the way we all get in trouble and stay there... Just my $.04...
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/11/2004 1:00:58 AM lop wrote:

Spend what you think you can spend, and what makes sense, without putting your future at risk. If you can, buy the ring that fits with you and your intended's lifestyles. Don't take on debt, don't deplete your savings. If this really is your life partner, there will be lots of things to spend money on in the future (houses, kids, vacations, retirement, gifts, luxuries, etc.....) There is plenty of time to buy diamonds, and that is part of the fun.....----------------

Well said, Lop.

The rule is very simple - spend what you can *comfortably* afford. I'm living in our trip to England fund.
9.gif
And, that trip came later & now we are looking into QM2 - which we can afford because our mortgage payment is so low. Think about it.

jcard71

Rough_Rock
Great Advice...I'm basically using my tax return money and
some cash I saved up. I just bought my house 2 years ago so I'm still paying mostly interest, but I also get a bigger tax refund because of it...I'm 32 and I shelter
10% of my income in a 401k and 3k a year in a ROTH. Yes, spending $7,000 was 1k over my budget,
but in the end I'm very happy with the ring and especially the size being over 2 tcw. I know she's not expecting a ring as nice as the one I bought.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/11/2004 1:00:58 AM lop wrote:

I have a theory about the 2 months salary thing: It makes no sense for anyone. It's another DeBeers marketing campaign. Think about it. For those whose salary is on the lower end, there is no way they have the discretionary income to spend 2 months salary on a ring. What it takes to save to that level is too hard and that money should go toward things other than discretionary luxuries. There are many people here upgrading or just getting their first diamond after many years together, once they've knocked down all the necessities, and that's a great accomplishment for them!

For those on the higher salary end, 2 months salary can be a crazy amount of money to spend on one ring. (10's of thousands of dollars just because that's how the math works???)

blockquote>

That's just what I have always thought too. I think my guy spent about 1 month's salary (net of taxes), but the ring was exactly what I wanted -- there was no need to spend more to meet De Beer's guideline. The other month's salary went to our house remodeling fund, which is a much smarter financial investment given the rising value of California real estate.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/11/2004 10:33:47 AM jcard71 wrote:

Great Advice...I'm basically using my tax return money and
some cash I saved up. I just bought my house 2 years ago so I'm still paying mostly interest, but I also get a bigger tax refund because of it...I'm 32 and I shelter
10% of my income in a 401k and 3k a year in a ROTH. Yes, spending $7,000 was 1k over my budget,
but in the end I'm very happy with the ring and especially the size being over 2 tcw. I know she's not expecting a ring as nice as the one I bought.

----------------

I applaud you on your retirement planning, but now that you have a house you need to do something about that tax refund. I know a lot of people enjoy getting a big refund check every year, but it is much better to adjust the number of exemptions on your W-4 so that your employer withholds less taxes from your paycheck each month and you have the money to use or invest during the year. If you are getting a large tax refund, that means you have paid too much in taxes and essentially made Uncle Sam an interest free loan for several months.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep definitely adjust that withholding after meeting with your taxman and then put that money into 6 month or 1 year bonds, or similar. Also, if you don't pay taxes into an impound monthly then you can do the same thing with your tax money for something like a 3 month bond if you pay 2ce a year or similarly. Make your money work for you as long as you have it in your possession.
1.gif

jcard71

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kay, yes I'm changing my excempt status to reflect
that. Next year will be totally different...but it's nice to get the refund anayway, but you're right.