shape
carat
color
clarity

got the ring... and now... more diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

turismo

Rough_Rock
Hi, all!

Want to first say thanks so much to everyone for all your help. I ended up going with a Whiteflash ACA diamond and am very happy with it. (F, VVS2, 1.512ct). I bought it loose and had it set at a jeweler near here.

This brings me to my first question-- the stone I bought was a H&A stone. Am I being too picky when I notice that they''ve cover up one of the arrows with a prong (it''s a six-prong setting). I was kind of surprised initially when I noticed that it wasn''t "evenly" set in the ring, with the H&A''s aligned to the ring. (I know, you''ll tell me I''m crazy. That''s what four months of searching gets you!)

But my main question is this-- I''ve discovered that my fiance (that''s the first time I''ve typed that) wants to get some kind of diamond encrusted wedding band. Basically what is called "channel-set" diamonds. What I''m wondering is how much care I should put into what diamonds are set in the ring we buy. They''re obviously really, really, small diamonds, so I''m not even sure it''s an issue. Should I mainly just worry about matching the color?

Oh, and while I have your attention.... :) Will a platinum engagement ring setting look normal next to a white gold wedding band? I''m guessing not, but as of yet I haven''t seen any next to each other... are the metal colors very noticeably different?

Thanks again!
-Turismo

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2005 4:36:37 AM
Author:turismo

I ended up going with a Whiteflash ACA diamond and am very happy with it. (F, VVS2, 1.512ct). I bought it loose and had it set at a jeweler near here.

Am I being too picky when I notice that they''ve cover up one of the arrows with a prong (it''s a six-prong setting) ; I was kind of surprised initially when I noticed that it wasn''t ''evenly'' set in the ring, with the H&A''s aligned to the ring
Hi, Turismo - Congrats on your stone - it sounds lovely.

I''d guess that the jeweler''s placement of your stone in the setting was done to make sure that the girdle inscription fell in between the prongs.....so you''d be able to identify your stone. In making sure this shows, it''s likely that ended up putting one of the arrows under a prong.

Keep in mind, too, that there are eight arrows and you have a 6-prong setting, so it''s somewhat tough to avoid having one of them under a prong.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey turismo! since aljdewey answered your prong question.....i''ll share my experience with wg and platinum...
the general answer is, it depends. wg and plat can "match" reasonably so, but wg *can* start to yellow, sometimes noticeably. especially when it is next to the plat. you can have wg redipped, but it may just be easier to go with the same metal if you don''t want to worry about the maintenance.
will you be going custom for the setting? if not, realize that melee diamonds are already set in the mount when you purchase it, so you can''t pick and choose the color/clarity (though different designers have different standards as far as what quality is used). and, as you said, they are very small so it''s not so much an issue. best of luck on the next step!!
your stone sounds just beautiful!!
3.gif

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Just got a brand new wg band and it looks slightly different next to my platinum ring. If it gets any more yellowish, the difference will be much more drastic, i woudn''t wear them together.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results