shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the diamond, advice on Setting please?

moose1947

Rough_Rock
Greetings,

After a few months due diligence and With help from many posts on this forum, I finally nailed a stone that I am really happy with. It is a GIA 1.73, with 7.78x7.82x4.73 measurements, Triple E, G, SI1, Its ideal cut and H&A according to scans from the vendor GOG. It really fires and I am happy with it. Now on to tackle the next purchase, the setting.

I have just started looking into the different styles, solitaires, halos, etc. She has a size 7 finger and I am a little concerned that even though its a nice size diamond that it may look small?

I have read some related posts, looked at the ring size table that has been posted, sorted through pictures on 1910, etc. but still seem to not be able to focus on a particular 'style'. Would this ideal cut diamond lose some of its luster in a halo so I should look at solitaires with some diamonds around the band. Would a Halo ensure I get nice ring coverage? Are there Halo's that can still allow the diamond to perform nicely? Should I truly be focused on what I think she would like (she wants me to pick out) given her style, etc. and not worry about how the diamond might look?

Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated, clearly I am all over the place here.

Thanks in advance

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job on the diamond!!! But has she given you NO hints at all about the ring styles she likes??? Because that is scary to ask someone to suprise you when you have no idea what she really wants! I'd almost get it set in a cheap plain solitaire for the proposal and then let her help pick out a setting she loves. There are really too many styles and choices and people prefer different things.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1340682393|3223665 said:
Great job on the diamond!!! But has she given you NO hints at all about the ring styles she likes??? Because that is scary to ask someone to suprise you when you have no idea what she really wants! I'd almost get it set in a cheap plain solitaire for the proposal and then let her help pick out a setting she loves. There are really too many styles and choices and people prefer different things.
I agree with DS. We all have our own opinions about settings, but all that really matters is what your GF wants.

Does she have a sister you can call? Or a good friend? I've done quite a bit of stealth work on behalf of my girlfriends' SOs to figure out what kind of settings they wanted.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOw about a simple solitaire setting to propose with. That way she can wear the ring for a while and see how she feels about the setting. After you're engaged, if she decides that solitaire settings are not for her, the two of you can together design a dream setting!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would try to get her input somehow.

At least narrow it down to:

Solitaire, three stone or halo. And then one step further to determine if having a flush fitting wedding band is important to her so you can narrow down the possible designs in the original three categories.

moose1947

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responses, I have now brought in her best friend for help. Am going to send her some options and at least try to narrow down from a style perspective. When I get a few options together, I will post to get some feedback. Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results